PDA

View Full Version : GW Gaming Nights

Silent Tristero
19-01-2010, 16:23
Recently I've been interested in starting to play some WH/40k again, and I recall being told that GW Stores have a night for 'older' gamers to come in and play - i'm 23, and whilst I don't particularly mind who I play, someone who wouldn't get thrown out of a pub would be a bonus.

Anyone here frequent these evenings instore? I'm in Leicester, if anyone has anything specific to add. Wondering what kind of experience I can expect, and if it's ok to generally just show up with some stuff to paint/play.

My main concern is I'm out of the loop on the rules, and reading the books isn't enough; I need some games to start remembering this stuff - and I'm not sure where to do this. I'm not a beginner, I don't want the 'This is a scary troll, he's really angry and he can do this stuff!' demo, but I will forget things and be checking rules alot.

kris.sherriff
19-01-2010, 19:08
The best thing I can suggest is to just go down to the store and chat with the staff telling them what you want.

When I used to play in my local shop before setting up a games club I was one of the people who the staff would "pass on" people like yourself to. The idea being to give you a nice slow paced game with a list that was not stupid just to get you back up to speed.

I am sure there are people like myself who go to most GW's so just pop in and see what happens.

Kris

yabbadabba
19-01-2010, 19:25
Leicester Manager is called Sim (Simon). An ace bloke and will help you out no probs. Have fun mate.

Chaos and Evil
19-01-2010, 19:30
Thirded!

A lot of people start playing GW games again in their 20's, and your local GW can help you find somewhere to game at, either on their game nights or at a local club. Just pop in and have a chat with 'em!

magath
19-01-2010, 21:52
I play a fair bit when I can get out of work, and its usually fun. Of course, there are always one or two that can spoil it, but by and large I usually have a good laugh down there. Plus finishing at 8 means you can go straight to the pub afterwards.

bigcheese76
21-01-2010, 00:55
There is a games night at my local GW and it's a great evening. I usually get to play a couple of games one of which is usually against someone Ive never met who turns out to be a really nice person.
In terms of what to take and what to expect, I usually take about 1500 of fantasy and 2000 of 40k and a couple of paints. That way I'm usually busy and have something to do for the whole evening.

Lord Malorne
21-01-2010, 01:18
Can't approve of games nights enough, but if you are rusty I would recommend the sunday beginner games they run.

Baggers
21-01-2010, 08:45
If you fancy popping over to Warhammer World on a Wednesday night I am up for a game of Warhammer now and again.

LonelyPath
23-01-2010, 13:39
When I got back into gaming again after taking a few years out, the staff at my closest GW suggested the Vets venings for me since I would know the basics, like how to move models, etc. So when I went along and a guy offered me a game I explained I was just coming back into things he was more than happy to go through the rules changes since I'd played last, taking things slow to explain everything so I knew what was going on. After a few games like that I was up to speed and readily able to go through most games without asking "what's that do?" and so on.

I don't attend vet evenings anymore after finding a local club (which is on the same night and saves me 6 in train fair plus taxis), but those evenings are great fun, Also, don't worry about the awkward gits, they don't tend to last to long at those evenings, soon running out of people willing to game aganst them, as those nights tend to attract alot of regulars who are more than happy to say "don't play him, he cheats like hell" quietly into your ear.

bigcheese76
26-01-2010, 00:41
There is a games night at my local GW and it's a great evening. I usually get to play a couple of games one of which is usually against someone Ive never met who turns out to be a really nice person.
In terms of what to take and what to expect, I usually take about 1500 of fantasy and 2000 of 40k and a couple of paints. That way I'm usually busy and have something to do for the whole evening.

Unfortunately, I have to change this slightly as I used to have a good time but now my local GW has decided to stop the games night so I have bought my own board instead and will invite a couple of friends round to paint, chat and game.

vampires are cool!
26-01-2010, 00:49
They stopped? Why?

bigcheese76
26-01-2010, 20:09
I dont know why, but I went in last week and they announced that GW would be closing 2 hours earlier than normal on a thursday but staying open an extra hour on sunday.

Angelwing
26-01-2010, 21:06
I dont know why, but I went in last week and they announced that GW would be closing 2 hours earlier than normal on a thursday but staying open an extra hour on sunday.

That will be down to how much money is taken during those hours. Games night: small amounts. Sunday beginners (drop the kids off): bigger amounts. Makes sense from maximising takings vs staff wages, but stinks for the community. The way it's supposed to work is Sunday beginners to learn the game, then move to vets night when they have a painted army and good grip of the rules, then move on to independent clubs. Taking out one of the links won't help the local community.

Shamutanti
30-01-2010, 22:09

Which store by chance? Sounds familiar.

vampires are cool!
30-01-2010, 22:14
Well, if its any help, there is a store in Kettering thats just opened up and they have games nights on a thursday. The manager is also open to the idea of keeping it open later than advertised just so everyone gets a game.

Yamacon
04-02-2010, 13:25
I go to the GW in leicester :)
Iv found that its a very nice gaming club in comparison to other clubs iv been to *cough* *derby*
If you come down any wednesday night im sure you will find a game from us, try and find me and ill give you a game. (Medium-tall height spikey haired bloke who plays with Toy Dinosaurs)

Mini77
07-02-2010, 16:39
I'm the same boat. I'm returning to the game, now being 32. My worst fear was to be surrounded by 14 year olds (no offence to any 14 year olds intended) harping on about how cool their army is.

I know noone locally who plays anymore. My closest store is Chesterfield, and I've been told they have a late night for adults on Thursdays, but Leicester isn't that far either (maybe 40 minutes). Maybe I should try there?

silence
07-02-2010, 21:58
http://www.dragon-slayers.org.uk/faq/faq.php

try them for Mansfield, met a couple of the guys awhile ago and they seemed pretty friendly.

Narf
07-02-2010, 22:09
or these guys in sheffield

http://wargamesemporium.co.uk/forum/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=6

- alot used to be part of the slayers in mansfield, but as its a bit of a trek we now meet at a club off parkway in sheffield.

selone
11-02-2010, 18:25
Newcastle games night was good when I used to go, have a really nice upstairs :)

bigcheese76
11-02-2010, 23:28
Which store by chance? Sounds familiar.

The store is the Northampton one. Really a shame, as by the time I get there now its almost time to leave so I have stopped going and bought a board of my own for playing Warhammer at home.

Mr. Gobbo
12-02-2010, 03:44
I know that it is supposedly a "veterans" night, but I am wondering how it would be for 14 year old that has been in the hobby for about a year to go to one of those nights.

Although I have managed to get other people to play several Fantasy games, I have never played against anyone who is actually a regular GW player, except for my 1st "Learn how to play" game using BFSP against the winnipeg games workshop manager. That game was actually kind of funny because of several reasons. One, both me and the manager completely forgot about the troll after turn one. Two, we actually ended up in the situation where 2 units only end up clipping when 1 charged, allowing only 2 spider riders and 2 miners to actually fight. Three, we were playing a scenario involving the goblins needing to capture the grudge pony in order to win and I managed to run down his dwarf warriors, and with that pursue move I managed to get within movement range of the pony, and it only took about 3 or 4 turns to win, though he had plenty of bad dice rolls.

Sorry, I got a bit sidetracked, but now to the main point. I am not one of those kids that goes "Oh, my army is the best ever!". I know that I am not that good at painting miniatures yet, I know that I am not that good at modeling yet, and I am especially not that good of a player yet. But I want to learn to be better, and the best way to do that is to talk and play with the experienced, and my best chance would be the games nights. So, would you have a game with me if you could?:(

Shamutanti
12-02-2010, 17:13
In all honesty the best way to learn is to play. And the best way to play, is against someone who knows the rules. Now if your store has a Sunday club day, I would begin attending their first, because you'll meet guys in your situation, who want to learn and to play.

If you can't do that or they don't have a Sunday club (they should), go to the gaming night (note: It's not called a Veterans night anymore, that was a term thrown out of the GW dictionary a few years back and it's continual use is just habit) then pop on down, get asking for some games, explain your new to things. Even watch a few games even if you don't play. Be cautious about asking lots of questions though whilst 2 people are playing (unless it's too other people watching, or if the players tell you something 'cool' and you ask 'why it's so good'').

This will help you learn more about what's going on, as well as getting a good rapport with the other regs so they're more willing to chat to you, listen to what you say or ask you for games. More guys who attend gaming nights are blokes (and girls) and have been working hard all week and this is their chance to relax in their favourite hobby, so use that to your advantage, by getting them to explain things about their army to you, which will in turn mean they'll end up explaining rules (it's a regs. thing :p )

Or yeah, ask them for games, play them, do stuff or inquire if you can do certain things and they'll teach you along the way, often without realizing it. Sure, you'll pick up a few bad habits or get the rules wrong at times, and sure you'll probably lose a game or two at the start, but give it a few nights and you'll be sorted. Best advice I can give.

And yep, that was the store I was thinking of bigcheese76. Things may be changing within that store soon enough though. A change of management has decreed a change in hours (and from what I know having spoken around to a few people) it's not 100% to do with money, but rather with limited staffing positions/hours.

Drakcore Bloodtear
12-02-2010, 20:17
I know that it is supposedly a "veterans" night, but I am wondering how it would be for 14 year old that has been in the hobby for about a year to go to one of those nights.

Well TBH I'm 14 but i've been playing for 8 years and is now WFB superviser for the local club, age dosen't matter it really just experience

As for the veterans nights I really enjoyed it, but where I went it was rather competative, not in a bad way, just it might be a little intimadating for trieing to get back into the game