PDA

View Full Version : Cathay, my new WHF army.

Black Hand
19-01-2010, 21:01
I have been out of the WHF circle for a few years (about 8) and I'm looking to get back into it. I've read up on Cathay and would like to play them as an army. I know they don't exist as far as the rules go but is there a way to model an existing army as a Cathay army? Also what Army book should I use. Any and all help is appreciated.

Also has there been any word that they might be created for WHF?

Condottiere
19-01-2010, 21:07
Usually, the default army book for Cathay would be Empire.

Ender Shadowkin
19-01-2010, 21:15
Usually, the default army book for Cathay would be Empire.

Agree, I believe the old 3rd ed Allies list showed rocket batters, and most Cathay count as armies have tradionally used them as Empire Mortars (or now Helstrom Rocket Batteries). Gunpowder is usually considred a must for Cathay armies.

Using empire rules is really the only way to get all the troops you want in the list without taking an unrealistic hit on ld. You could make a case for Dark or High elves, but the MV, ASF and Hatred rules don't seam to jive as well as the lack of gunpowder.

The only other think I can think of is a Eternal Guard Heavy wood elf list. With forest spirits representing various native spirits, Mongol like horse archers, and wardancers representing Warrior Monks. no gunpowder though. . . but you could turn the treeman into a flightless chinese dragon.

Condottiere
19-01-2010, 21:30
Kislev contingent for steppe mercenaries.

Grimstonefire
19-01-2010, 22:01
There is a good chance you will see them from fantasy forgeworld, but this wouldn't be for years so you'd be better off making them yourself.

In terms of models, imo they would look better done as proper foot soldiers, not as simple peasants with no armour (as I've seen done). I always thought the Bretonnian men at arms (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat1300221&prodId=prod780921) would look good with a bit of work.

ChaosVC
20-01-2010, 03:03
I am pretty sure alot of east asians will go, "Cathay, my new WTF army" when gw decide to make one.

Anyway, the army that resembles a Cathayan army is still empire. They are not that much different in terms of gun powder weaponary. In terms of looks and uniform, you can do a google search on Late Ming or Mid Early Qing Dynasty which is closer to the european renasiance period. Or if you love to do early gun poweder period, go for Song Dynasty look.

Col. Dash
20-01-2010, 03:42
Someone did a Cathay army in White Dwarf a few years ago that looked really good. Pretty sure they used the Empire book. Osprey books have good illustrations of various ancient Chinese armies if you want relatively good historical references. Sometimes the illustrations can be a little wonky but overall they are really good.

ChaosVC
20-01-2010, 03:46
Someone did a Cathay army in White Dwarf a few years ago that looked really good. Pretty sure they used the Empire book. Osprey books have good illustrations of various ancient Chinese armies if you want relatively good historical references. Sometimes the illustrations can be a little wonky but overall they are really good.

Osprey books... nevermind.:rolleyes:

tezdal
20-01-2010, 03:56
I am pretty sure alot of east asians will go, "Cathay, my new WTF army" when gw decide to make one.

Heh my new "wtf" army? Anyway, I'd pick up some of those Perry Korean's, they seem pretty good looking stand in for Cathay and pretty close to scale I believe.

http://www.perry-miniatures.com/index2.html

Black Hand
20-01-2010, 04:25
Anyway, google search on Late Ming or Mid Early Qing Dynasty which is closer to the european renasiance period. Or if you love to do early gun poweder period, go for Song Dynasty look.

Osprey books have good illustrations of various ancient Chinese armies if you want relatively good historical references. Sometimes the illustrations can be a little wonky but overall they are really good.

Thank you both for the references and books. I'll look into them as soon as i can find them.

Someone did a Cathay army in White Dwarf a few years ago that looked really good.

Are there links to this army. I have to see what he did.

But aside from that it seems the Empire is the way to go. Also is there a way to add Ogres to the army as well since there are ogres in Cathay. Or close to the area at least. The Great Maw did destroy their kingdom around that area if i remember reading correctly. Any more info is very much appreciated.

Black Hand
20-01-2010, 04:35
Heh my new "wtf" army? Anyway, I'd pick up some of those Perry Korean's, they seem pretty good looking stand in for Cathay and pretty close to scale I believe.

Those look perfect. I just need to check the range and cost to see it it's financially possible. But they are perfect representations and i doubt any opponent would care about a few mm as far model range is concerned.

ChaosVC
20-01-2010, 04:59

Yup perry Koreans looks great and authentic, I like the armour cav. Too bad they didn't do chinese Ming too since they have all the range for imjin wars from korean to samurai except the Ming.

Anyone who want to look for chinese dynastic uniforms should look for Yang Hong's books.

R-Love
20-01-2010, 05:09
Thank you both for the references and books. I'll look into them as soon as i can find them.

Are there links to this army. I have to see what he did.

But aside from that it seems the Empire is the way to go. Also is there a way to add Ogres to the army as well since there are ogres in Cathay. Or close to the area at least. The Great Maw did destroy their kingdom around that area if i remember reading correctly. Any more info is very much appreciated.

http://web.archive.org/web/20070603095708/us.games-workshop.com/games/warhammer/bretonnians/painting/wd314_davetaylor/default.htm

There's a link, but I don't think the pictures will work (at least, they didn't for me, the time machine has some issues :(). He used the Brettonian list instead of the Empire, but it still looked pretty good (I remember seeing this army before the site changed). Should be in WD 314, if you know anyone with alot of back issues of WD you could check their stash, otherwise I don't know

And adding Ogres is no problem, they don't know about Cathay's (supposed) involvement with the summoning of the Maw, and they probably wouldn't care anyways. There are several items in the Ogre book identified as being from Cathay as well (and a ninja maneater!:p not really Chinese, but still awesome)

SilverWarlock
20-01-2010, 06:07
Actually I would suggest using the samurai from Perry's as the ashigaru arquebusiers suit Cathay (and empire handgun rules) better than the korean models.

Bear in mind that a Cathayan Long Sword is essentially a katana so they definitely have some japanese traits.

ChaosVC
20-01-2010, 06:20
Actually I would suggest using the samurai from Perry's as the ashigaru arquebusiers suit Cathay (and empire handgun rules) better than the korean models.

Bear in mind that a Cathayan Long Sword is essentially a katana so they definitely have some japanese traits.

I disagree because the Korean of Choson armoured troops looks are closer to what the Ming troops(chinese) would look like, the japanese Samurais basically look like japanese Samurais...which is Nipon in warhammer...

But hey, its your army and your money, this is fantasy anyway misrepresentation is a norm, have fun with whatever models you prefer for your Cathay WTF army.:angel:

Condottiere
20-01-2010, 07:19
Osprey books are good summaries, since they have to pack in illustrations and information in a rather small format.