PDA

View Full Version : What size knight units do you run with Bretonnians?

sugarwookie
19-01-2010, 23:20
Hi,

I'm working on a new list and I'm wondering what most of you veterans think the size of the typical choices should be and maybe why.
I'm interested in all of the cavalry choices, from K.Errants all the way to Grail Knights. I'd really appreciate any input!

Shamutanti
19-01-2010, 23:37
Not to sound off like but this question has been flung around these forums an indecent number of times. Fling it into the search bar.

Edit: And the general consensus is 9.

Alathir
20-01-2010, 00:00
I field all my core knight units in units of 9, if they are going to be joined by a character then sometimes I'll just keep it at 8. Sometimes I'll go a little crazy and fill out a Knight of the Realm unit to 12 with the BSB leading them to really pack a massive punch. Sometimes I will take smaller units of 6 to hit smaller threats and add their weight into combats. These guys are more maneuverable than the larger units as well.

I ignore Questing Knights entirely.

In terms of Grail Knights, these guys really don't need a character to help them out, most things they hit will die or run for their lives. I usually take a group of 5 in the lance formation with a damsel joining them. If they aren't joined by a character I take 6 and just string them out so that they can still put up a fight in later rounds of combat should the enemy hold. I rarely go over 6 man grail knight units, any more than that and its just overkill.

Hope that helps!

Rolo Ramone
20-01-2010, 14:26
I like lances of 6 and 9 Knights. Those little 6 men lances are pretty usefull taking flanks.
Now Iīm running some units of 5 knight Errants not in lance formation just for the low cost. They are cheap and you can lose them without worries. Great decoy for the bigger units. Just one big Errant unit with the Errant banner.

The Questing Knights are shinning like gold in my army. This days lots of units can stand a bretonnian charge, and is then when the Questing guys are great. I always use a unit of 6, and sometimes that unit grew to 9.

For Grail Knights, I donīt know. They are expensive and are shoot magnets. For that, sometimes I use just 3 of them for flanking. If they die, itīs not a big lose either...

My two cents.

Malorian
20-01-2010, 17:48
I go with lances of 9 most of the time but I find using grail knights in a single rank of 5 can make them less of a target for warmachines and thus makes them more effective.

Gromdal
20-01-2010, 19:35
Ive got two standard ways of fighting. Many units of 6 and 1 or 2 blocks of 12, or many 9s.

Ony of the best lists Ive fielded was a massive army of KEs, all in blocks of 6 (free champions) and one unit of 11 (with general). I had 10 or 11 blocks of knights in a 2k army, it was to powerful (even in our powergamer grp) and i grew bored of it, but lately ive been having some probs with VC, might dust it off and give it a go again.

Not a big fan of grail knights (to expensive) and questing knights (not enough power)

bigcheese76
20-01-2010, 23:43
Most of the time I know whether a unit is going to be joined by a character or not. If the unit will be joined I take units of either 5 or 8 and if they are unlikely to be joined then 6 or 9 as these combinations work the best with the lance formation.

21-01-2010, 05:54
i run one unit of 12 and 3 units of 9

Troah
21-01-2010, 22:18
9 normally with a few 6's mixed in for fast support units.

devolutionary
21-01-2010, 22:25
11 + Paladin for Errants, 8 + Lord/BSB for Knights of the Realm, and then rounded out with 6s flanking units and support.