PDA

View Full Version : 1,000 Point Skaven - First Fantasy Army

animush
20-01-2010, 00:40
Hey guys,

I have just recently taken up playing fantasy, looking for a break and something a bit different from my main 40k army, which is Necrons.

Skaven look like a refreshing change, and I like almost everything about this army (except the immense number of models I am in the process of painting!).

With some good advice around the place, I have the below 1,000 point army list, which I hope to use in my first battle. It is a very economical list, not costing much more than the batallion. I don't expect it to do great, but I don't understand how fantasy/skaven works either, so I expect to be doing a lot of learning, and making a few changes as I progress.

Plague Priest (General)
- Level 2 Wizard
- Flail

Warlock Engineer
- Level 2 Wizard
- Warp-Energy Condenser

Assassin
- Warlock-Augmented Weapon

19 Plaguemonks (Plague Priest goes here)
- Bringer-of-the-Word
- Standard Bearer
- Musician

20 Clanrats (Assassin goes in one of these units)
- Shields
- Clawleader
- Standard Bearer
- Musician

20 Clanrats
- Shields
- Clawleader
- Standard Bearer
- Musician

20 Skavenslaves

20 Skavenslaves

Total: 889

This leaves me with 111 points to spend, I'd like to include a cool toy such as a warp lightning cannon or some warpfire throwers or something.

Any advice appreciated, and please, treat me like a total noob, because I am at the moment (in the fantasy universe).

Tzeentch Lord X7
20-01-2010, 02:26
i would add a warpfire thrower and use the extra points to beef up one clan rat unit

SinisterRain
20-01-2010, 03:22
I would add a dispel scroll and weapon teams for you clanrats units

animush
20-01-2010, 03:41
could someone please explain why weapons teams are better than something like a warp lighning cannon or a doom wheel?

nachoskaven
20-01-2010, 14:00
Letīs say, weapon teams are cheaper and sneakier...

Anyway, I wouldnīt take an assasin in such an small force, specially if your general frenzies! On the other hand, Skaven slaves are not as interesting as they were on in the previous edition, so, what about removing one unit and including a doomwheel? This would give you some punch... And also change the assassin by a well protected chieftain to send your plaguemonks ahead?

Skritt the Vomitous
20-01-2010, 22:59
Ye drop the assassin, Im a skaven player myself and honeslty im finding slaves to be insanly good at the moment
Just run them into units at the right time, and you can rip up units and nearby mages / war machines with the "Cornerd Rats" rule.

Also id take a Cheiften / BSB to keep your army together, and possibly some globadiers or Censor Bearers.

Look into upgrading your Plague Monks to a unit of about 25 - 30 Monks and a Furnace in the future as they are increadablyhard to break, also with a unit or 2 of Censor Bears nearby, the bearers become Stubborn with Rank Bonus fom the unit and furnace.

A find that Doomwheels are ok, but nothing game breaking as they are hard to get into the correct posistion with lack of reliable movement. (10.5" avg) so they will alwasy be in line with your army, therefor wont be firing Warplighting into the enemy till atleast turn 3. Id reccomend a Hellpit or a Catapult instead,

Weapon teams are usefull, but it depends on your style of play, i prefer to go the "horde" route and overwhelm my enemies with lots of slaves and clanrats backing up a big block of 30 monks W/ Furnace.

But you need to beef out your clanrats to 25 - 30 too
also take slaves in units of 21, as to make a unit of 20 panic, they need to kill 5 models, a unit of 21 requires 6 (and gives an extra rank for +1 hit for cornerd rats) ive lost count how many times they needed to kill 1 more slave to make the unit panic, and for that unit to then go and flank charge or kill a warmachine ect.

Skritt the Vomitous
20-01-2010, 23:00
And also your BSB doesnt have to be protected, as he just sits in the back of the unit out of harms way

Shazarn
22-01-2010, 09:04
Roughly the suggestion is to drop the assassin in exchange for your toys. Assassins, whilst cool as all hell, are really designed for character killing and wouldn't be worth the investment in a low point game, theres plenty of other units in the skaven field that could achieve the same effect through sheer numbers alone, or magic for that matter.

Definitely look at increasing the Plague Monk block, they are quite deadly, especially if you mount your Plague Priest on a Furnace. This roughly becomes an expensive block of sheer death to anything it charges, and using simple tactics, you can get a flank charge and utterly destroy one of your opponents beefy units.

You'll definitely want to up your Clanrats to units of 25 min. This means that your more likely to remain in combat and keep your rank bonus through a few rounds of combat.

In terms of weapon teams, the Warpfire thrower is considered to be the best from what i've read. This is due to, in my opinion, the high risk/reward it offers. A flamer at S5, deals D3 wounds and minuses an armour save by 2 will utterly destroy a block of infantry, providing the dice like you :). Mind you, their mis-fires are quite nasty, you have a 1/6 chance of surviving a misfire, but that being said, a 3-5 could be potentially awesome or deadly. Either way, it'll be hilarious. This means that if your looking at using Weapon teams, you'll want your units at 25-30 to hold out longer to help your weapon teams wreak havoc. The 4+ Ward save is a blessing though :)

Warp Lightning Cannons and Doom Wheels are quite fun due to the randomness of them, especially the doom wheel. They both need quite a bit of strategy and tactics behind them to be used effectivly, so placement and such is imperative. Personally, I'd take the Doom Wheel for two reasons:
It looks awesome
It can deal some nasty damage. However, it will hit your own units for the first two turns unless you get favorable rolls or you can place it out of range. If anything, put the slaves between your units and the wheel. 40pt meat shield, I think so!

If we drop the Assassin and the Engineer, your left with 320 odd pts
This would be enough for a Doom Wheel/Furnace and some Weapon teams to help your blocks. Use the remaining points to beef up your Clanrats

The biggest thing to remember about skaven is the randomness in my opinion. Embrace it, love it and laugh when it goes back on you.

Edit: Thanks for clearing that up Kayazy, I always misread that every time I look at it, hehe

KayazyAssassin
22-01-2010, 19:52
weapon teams do not have to stay within three inches of the parent unit, its just better if they do because of the rank bonus and ward save

animush
28-01-2010, 03:56
Thanks for the advice, I will try it out in a few games and see how it goes.

Shazarn
28-01-2010, 05:21
weapon teams do not have to stay within three inches of the parent unit, its just better if they do because of the rank bonus and ward save

My bad, I just re-read them and your right. I mis-read them.

Good Luck Animush

animush
10-02-2010, 03:23
Well just a small update, I played my first game at 1,000pts yesterday, using the models I had. I played against a new beastman army including a gorebull/doombull (scary!), a bunch of minotaurs, 2 chariots, some centigor and a few other point filler units.

My list was the following:
Plague Priest (General)
- Level 2 Wizard & Flail

Warlock Engineer
- Level 2 Wizard & Warp-Energy Condenser

Assassin
- Warlock-Augmented Weapon

20 Plaguemonks (Plague Priest)
- Full Command

20 Clanrats (Assassin)
- Shields & Full Command

20 Clanrats (Engineer)
- Shields & Full Command

20 Skavenslaves

20 Skavenslaves

1 Packmaster
2 Rat Ogres

1 Packmaster
6 Giant Rats

I know that is isn't ideal, but unfortunatly those are the only models I have right now. I intend to pick up a plague furnace, 8 censor bearers, more clanrats, more monks and a warlord, dropping the assassin, giant rats and rat ogres at 1k.

I deployed my forces in a line across the field:
giant rats, slaves, clan rats (assassin), monks (priest), clan rats (engineer), slaves, rat ogres

First turn, i moved everything forward, trying to stay out of his 12-14" charge zone, which i miscalculated. my plague priest rolled 2 spells with 12" range, unfortunatly, and so i put my effort into warp lightning.

I was able to kill the minotaurs with warp lightning before they charged, but the big bull still got into combat, and really messed things up, destroying the clanrat unit with my engineer on the charge.

both his charriots charged too, my monks and clanrats held, and next turn my assasin was revealed, i charged slaves into the flank, defeated the chariot, and over run into the next combat, where the second chariot was defeated too. my clan rats then pursued into the big bull, i issued a challenge with my assassin, who lost, but inflicted a wound, due to numbers i won combat, the bull ran, and i chased it down and killed it.

my giant rats ran full speed towards some skirmishing beastmen with bows, ended up defeating them on the charge and chasing them down.

the centigor charged a unit of slaves, who held their ground, while the rat ogres charged their flank. unfortuantly rat ogres only killed one, and combat was lost, rat ogres were chased and cut down, cornered rats didn't do much.

end of the game saw my giant rats and half a unit of clan rats still alive, i dont remember what finished off my monks, and 4 of his centigor alive too, he had more victory points and took the win.

I know this is a very brief battle report, but given it was my first game, i wasn't very sure what to do. Based on the above, or in general, any advice for me in my coming games? I have an 800 point game on friday.

animush
11-02-2010, 03:32
shameless bump, any feedback or advice? my game is tomorrow.

thanks guys.