PDA

View Full Version : i just wanna check im not cheating... (IG HQ question)

tu33y
20-01-2010, 09:17
i just want to be sure as something has been nagging at me ever since codex IG.

every battle report in WD has ONE company command squad and either a lord commissar or primaris psyker.

im ok to take TWO company comand squads? or am i only allowed one? iv been playing with two for months but you never know...

AndrewGPaul
20-01-2010, 09:21
This should probably be in 40K Rules.

Anyway, do you see anything in the rulebook saying Company Command Squads are 0-1 choices? No? Then they're not. Feel free to have two.

You can use one to represent a veteran platoon command squad; take one without Advisors and 3 or 4 veteran squads, and think of them as a veteran platoon.

Deadmanwade
20-01-2010, 09:24
2 is fine. There is usually a restriction at the top of the unit entry (e.g. 0-1) or a special rule saying Unique if you can only take a limited number.
Some of the advisors dont stack though. Check the IG FAQ on the GW website.

Lord Solar Plexus
20-01-2010, 09:26
You can take two HQ choices. A (one) CCS is one single HQ choice.

When I do that - rarely -, I just call one officer colonel and the other a major. Or major and captain. As it happens, you find that Gaunt will fight alongside Rawne, or Rawne will fight alongside Daur, so it jives with both the rules and the background.

MajorWesJanson
20-01-2010, 09:38
You can also play with 0 Company commands. Just depends on how you want to play. You could even go with 3 platoons with a company command, plus 3 veteran squads with a second company command acting as a veteran platoon command, giving you in fluff 1 company of 4 platoons.

Bunnahabhain
20-01-2010, 12:10
Just a nagging doubt from the previous codex, where command squads were a '1' option, rather than 0-1 or 0-2...

Current codex, they are a perfectly normal 0-2 choice.

tu33y
20-01-2010, 12:22
cool- thanks. its just every list i read only either has 1 or 1 + character. i suppose we can close this now. im glad its all worked out in the end.

thanks and goodnight

Spacker
20-01-2010, 13:06
Current codex, they are a perfectly normal 0-2 choice.

Assuming that the standard FOC is in use ... :p

Technically they are a "0-however many HQ slots are in your FOC, and if there's no FOC then there's no limit" choice :D

Thanatos_elNyx
20-01-2010, 13:24
That lacks a certain brevity.

wilsongrahams
20-01-2010, 19:16
Use as many as you have slots for.

GW only use one because they only have one painted up as a Company Command Squad. Same with almost all their armies if you check - they often have combinations that you wouldn't field in a sane army.

bigcheese76
20-01-2010, 19:22
Yes, you can take two, so you can take 2 masters of ordnance.
Does having 2 Astropaths or 2 Officers of the Fleet mean there is a +2 or -2 modifier to the dice?

wilsongrahams
20-01-2010, 19:37
Not according to the general consensus in the rules forum when the codex came out. They said you just get to keep the modifier after one is killed so it's insurance. I can't help other than that on that one, though I agree you are unlikely to stack bonuses.

Bunnahabhain
20-01-2010, 20:38
Does having 2 Astropaths or 2 Officers of the Fleet mean there is a +2 or -2 modifier to the dice?

Not according to the general consensus in the rules forum when the codex came out. They said you just get to keep the modifier after one is killed so it's insurance. I can't help other than that on that one, though I agree you are unlikely to stack bonuses.

Actually, the general consensus was that following the Eldar precedent of two Autarch, they would stack for +/- 2

Then the Guard FAQ came out, which states the astropath/officer of the fleet do not stack. Ended the debate fairly quickly, except for everybody left going WTF! :confused:

No, they do not stack.

jason_sation
21-01-2010, 00:07
I have seen an arguement that you could even take a priest or Techpriest as your HQ choice, since they technically fill the role of an HQ slot even though they don't count as a HQ on the FOC chart. Whether that is actually the case or not, while it may not be the wisest HQ, it is certainly interesting.

This thread has made me want to try out a list with two Command Squads now!

AndrewGPaul
21-01-2010, 08:28
The general rules for army construction say you need to fill 2 troops choices and 1 HQ choice as a minimum. Techpriests don't fill an HQ FOC slot, so you need another HQ option that does.

tu33y
21-01-2010, 08:31
This thread has made me want to try out a list with two Command Squads now!

for me its mandatory- one has a lascannon, two grens and a M.O.O, one has 4 meltas, sometimes straken and nork and a chimera. the first one hangs back ordering and generally supporting my two MLR squads of 3 plasmas and an autocannon each and the melta HQ blasts forward with my other meltazilla squads.

if u wanna bust out the points have the hangin back HQ as Creed too!

Bloodknight
21-01-2010, 09:40
@AndrewGPaul: the interesting question is if the rules really say so. The Black Templars may field the Emperor's Champion as their only HQ as per their FAQ, and that guy doesn't use a slot either. I wonder if that situation is not transferable.

Bloodriver
21-01-2010, 12:16
every battle report in WD has ONE company command squad and either a lord commissar or primaris psyker.

That's just because they want to be able to demonstrate the capabilities of different units in their battle reports. Their armies are not necessarily chosen for optimum effectiveness.

If the codex doesn't specify any numerical restrictions, then you can use as many of a particular unit type as you have FOC slots for.

AndrewGPaul
21-01-2010, 15:48
@AndrewGPaul: the interesting question is if the rules really say so.

Hooray for bad writing! :)

I'd be inclined to allow it - it's hardly game-breaking, and it means you can have a Skitarri army (Techpriests, tanks, Veterans in Carapace armour, Ogryns, Stormtroopers) or an Ecclesiarchal mob (Priests, Penal Legions, Conscripts, Sisters of Battle allies).