PDA

View Full Version : My DIY Chapter of Space Marines - The Emperor's Disciples.

Snakebite
03-02-2006, 23:31
For the past few months, I've been designing my own Chapter of Space Marines, now formally known as the Emperor's Disciples. They've entered competitions, played games and have now been through their first campaign. I've come up with a few ideas for them and their background...

First of all, I wanted a reason for them to fight. My first two games were both against Imperial armies - the Ultramarines and the Imperial Guard. I came up with the idea that the Emperor's Disciples had a very strict, possibly somewhat skewed interpretation of the Emperor's divine "plan" for his realm. Anyone deviating from that interpretation would be considered an enemy, and thus attacked. This works for Chaos and all Xenos races, and any Imperial army as well - Emperor knows there are a lot of them around here!

Secondly, while choosing a commander for my army, I decided that I wanted the same character to command my army, no matter what the size of the game. This dictated to me a 2 Wound choice, as I just don't see why a high ranking member of the army would command Combat Patrols. As I just didn't see Commanders as having much potential and given my really bad luck when it comes to psychic tests, this choice was made for me. Thus, Reclusiarch Honorius was born!

The third idea was a result of the first two. As the Chaplains of Space Marine armies embody the Imperial Cult, and the Emperor's Disciples have their own interpretation of that cult, I decided that the Chapter would have a higher number of Chaplains than other Chapters. This is because the Chaplains would be trained in battle and would feature as Squad Sergeants. Any Veteran Sergeant in the army would be a converted Chaplain model with appropriate wargear. A Power weapon to represent the young Chaplain's Crozius, and maybe even a Combat Shield as a "mini-Rosarius". I'd make it clear to my opponents that the Squad Sergeants weren't in fact "Real" Chaplains - just to avoid confusion!

I was also keen on inventing new units, such as the equivalent of the Tyrannic War Veterans used by the Ultramarines. Rather than just using a Veteran Squad, I decided to make my Devastator Squad an Elite choice by using a Trait and dressing them up with trophies and the like. I'm in the process of writing up their background story based on their actions in the battles I've played in the recent Winter War Campaign.

Another idea that I had right at the start of the project was having Inquisitorial allies. I recently bought Cypher with the intention of converting him up to be a Radical Inquisitor. That might alter the future of the Chapter, but it'll be lots of fun deciding how!

Here is the colour scheme of the army, demonstrated on my Predator and a selection of Space Marines. The Chapter symbol is a stylised skull, decorated by the bearer when he has taken part in successful campaigns, or has survived impossible odds on the battlefield, or has accomplished great feats in battle, etc. I liked a piece I read in a fairly recent White Dwarf that said all Space Marines were heroes in their own right. This gave me an opportunity to show it.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/Tularis/Comparison.jpg

Gavmo
04-02-2006, 00:45
Looks good mate.
But.. uh... what happened to your tank commanders right arm? Battle (coughdropcough) wound?

Arryn
04-02-2006, 01:34
uh... emily?

Follow
04-02-2006, 01:56
Don't knock Emily! I think Emily rocks!

Follow :)

ffclubhero
04-02-2006, 05:41
Great background can help make a great army. Nice work!!

Aun'aart'al
04-02-2006, 06:22
yeah personally I dont understand where "Emily" comes in.. but uh.. other than that, nice chapter :)

if you'd like, I'd be willing to add your chapter into my chapters renegade history/fluff? :evilgrin:

Snakebite
04-02-2006, 08:26
Looks good mate.
But.. uh... what happened to your tank commanders right arm? Battle (coughdropcough) wound?

It was a bad case of being injured before his first battle. I had originally given him a Storm Bolter arm but it snapped off between going in to the box and arriving at the store. You can't see it because of the way that she is angled, but the Heavy Bolter on the left hand side has snapped off too!

uh... emily?

yeah personally I dont understand where "Emily" comes in..

Emily is my wife. She bought me the Predator under the proviso that I named it after her. She certainly draws attention! One of the GW staff at my local store says "Emily" probably means "Destroyer of worlds" in the native tongue of the Chapter's home world...

Don't knock Emily! I think Emily rocks!

That just had to go in my sig! I'll tell her you said so!

Great background can help make a great army. Nice work!!

Thanks! I've enjoyed every minute of this. It's so true that the army takes on a life of its own. Very little of my original plan for the army has survived this far - I think it's great, and would urge others to give it a go.

if you'd like, I'd be willing to add your chapter into my chapters renegade history/fluff?

Sure, why not! Can I read what fluff you have?

Aun'aart'al
04-02-2006, 08:31
Sure, why not! Can I read what fluff you have?

just check out the link for my chapter in my signature, just Dont believe that the first 2 pages are the current fluff, its the last 2 pages that is the present stuff :)

NightHaunter86
04-02-2006, 21:49
I love the idea of the apprentice Chaplins!
I can just see the Emperor's Disciples hating the Word Bearers...that would be awesome!

Snakebite
05-02-2006, 00:17
It was the Word Bearers that pushed me in that direction, actually. I collected a small army of Word Bearers Chaos Marines when the 3rd Ed. Chaos Codex was re-released. I really liked the idea that they wanted to build these immense altars, etc. to show their loyalty to the Emperor.

The Emperor's Disciples are basically a loyalist version of the Word Bearers, I think. As far as they're concerned, they're bang on the money with what they're doing. They see it as their sacred mission to forge a new Imperium, as envisaged by the Emperor before he ascended to the Golden Throne on Earth. This has the advantage of bringing them into conflict with just about everybody.

St.Germaine
06-02-2006, 02:54
So what traits did you decide on?

Snakebite
06-02-2006, 16:45
The important Trait at this point is the one that lets you use Devastator Squads as Elite choices. I'm toying with giving them Infiltrate for nastiness factor but they will end up needing support so I'm not sure.

I had originally planned on using Cleanse and Purify because I like the idea of having two Special Weapons. Now, not so keen. I'm having a look through all of them now, just to get some ideas.

My disadvantage was Death Before Dishonour. Big fan of that one! It fits my attitude to the game so well, I decided to transfer it to the army. My major disadvantage hasn't been settled on yet either, but will most likely be Aspire to Glory.

Thanks for the interest, guys!

Aun'aart'al
06-02-2006, 17:09
well this idea might take a while, but it may be worth it in the end, who knows?

why dont you get some traits you like and simply try them all out, see how the glove feels, know what I mean?