PDA

View Full Version : Hoarders - Warhammer siting.

Schmapdi
20-01-2010, 20:45
Hoarders is a terrificly entertaining show on A&E about people who suffer from Complusive Hoarding. (IE they hang onto everything, even garbage, etc).

Well last night - in the episode "Linda and Todd" the hoarder Todd was a nerd in Arizona - and amongst the many many hobbies he tried and hoarded- Warhammer stuff.

They cut to a box Catachans, and some jars of paint and a few minis I didn't recognize, but that was all they showed.

I watched it On Demand from my cable - so I'm not sure when it reguarly airs. But I thought it'd be a good warning to other nerds who might find themselves elbow deep in discarded hobbies, etc.

Llew
20-01-2010, 20:53
I need every single boxed-up, still-on-the-sprue mini, every can of half-used spray paint and each scrap of the high-density styrofoam I have in my basement. There is no hoarding where gaming is involved. It's all perfectly healthy.

Perfectly healthy.

Lars Porsenna
20-01-2010, 21:13
Here ya go: Hoarders (http://www.aetv.com/hoarders/video/?bcpid=44241147001&bclid=61017186001&bctid=60974528001%27).

Damon.

Lars Porsenna
20-01-2010, 21:43
I have to admit I'm a little like Todd and a bit of a hoarder, but no where near that bad. Watching this show does motivate me to start work on the mancave (aka basement) again...

Damon.

bigcheese76
21-01-2010, 00:51
Hoarding? I prefer to call it taking over the house, one room at a time. Invading with my little plastic army. I have conquered 3 rooms already.

Mannimarco
21-01-2010, 00:54
hoarding: some people have bitz boxes, the most dedicated to the hobby have bitz rooms

starlight
21-01-2010, 01:03
:shifty::shifty::shifty::shifty::shifty::shifty:

iancw
21-01-2010, 03:54
Right before the girlfriend mentions Warhammer, she talks about how he spends thousands of dollars on his hobbies. After she mentioned Warhammer, my girlfriend looked at me and said "you don't spend thousands of dollars on those guys do you?". What can I said, I had to tell a little white lie:)

starlight
21-01-2010, 04:18
Nope, I spend thousands of dollars on a whole other set of guys... :angel:

:shifty:

We have a deal, she doesn't question my hobbies, I don't question hers...shoes are a hobby, right? RIGHT?!?! :eyebrows:

Condottiere
21-01-2010, 07:37
Shoes are a calling.

Baggers
21-01-2010, 08:43
I don't know I have a colleague who aim is to have a different pair of shoes for each day of the year.

On topic. I do have a bit of a lead mountain. It could be worse though.

Sinner_74
21-01-2010, 08:45
That's an easy one to solve - I just buy my wife shoes:evilgrin: And she doesn't dare ask how much my wonderfully hoarded collection cost...

Bloodknight
21-01-2010, 09:42
Aww, it says I can't watch it from my country.

snurl
21-01-2010, 10:04
My wife called me into the TV room when that came on, but there really wasn't much to it. We discussed just how much of this stuff I have and agreed that there's still room for more.:D

Geep
21-01-2010, 10:07
THREE rooms?!?!? we've only GOT three rooms...

from,
geep's girlfriend

Art Is Resistance
21-01-2010, 15:04
You know you're a hoarder when:

1)There's only the two of you living in a 3 bed house, but you move to a 4 bed house as your hobby has outgrown the house
2)Once in the new house, you claim the 2nd largest bedroom for your 'office'
3)Two years later, you're getting quotes for converting the garage as you've outgrown the room, the 3rd bedroom and the conservatory...!

Me? I'd never do the above (yeah, riiiiight) - that's why we're looking at a farmhouse with LOTS of room..

venus_redscar
22-01-2010, 05:53
You know you're a hoarder when:

1)There's only the two of you living in a 3 bed house, but you move to a 4 bed house as your hobby has outgrown the house
2)Once in the new house, you claim the 2nd largest bedroom for your 'office'
3)Two years later, you're getting quotes for converting the garage as you've outgrown the room, the 3rd bedroom and the conservatory...!

Me? I'd never do the above (yeah, riiiiight) - that's why we're looking at a farmhouse with LOTS of room..

You know after the economic downturn, there are a lot of empty office buildings around.

Pacorko
22-01-2010, 06:12
And, yes... I'm actually amazed at the prices some of these offices' rents go for here in Mexico City.

If I can close a deal with these new client I've been buttering up, I'm getting an "office" only three blocks away from my house, paid for a whole year. Thus, the wife will be elated to see my three mammoth desktops, most of my books (mainly the game-related ones), and ALL of my miniatures going out the front door and into a nice, cozy "reservation".

Satan
22-01-2010, 06:43
hoarding: some people have bitz boxes, the most dedicated to the hobby have bitz rooms

True. One of my friends does this. I keep telling him to start selling the stuff every time I'm there and now he's finally started listening! ;-)

ashc
22-01-2010, 14:37
the problem is that with the temptation of conversions and never knowing what you need next for an army, it encourages hoarding anyway! :)

Earthbeard
22-01-2010, 15:06
the problem is that with the temptation of conversions and never knowing what you need next for an army, it encourages hoarding anyway! :)

I'd go as far to say it's Mandatory. :p

Llew
22-01-2010, 15:09
There was one good thing about this show: it made me work on finally finishing up my massive dwarven mountain. That lump of cut, but unpainted, styrofoam is finally getting paint on it!

hertz
22-01-2010, 19:30
True. One of my friends does this. I keep telling him to start selling the stuff every time I'm there and now he's finally started listening! ;-)

:evilgrin:

SimonL
24-01-2010, 05:09
My hoarding of reptiles and huge, prehistoric fish makes my bitz cupboard look rather small...

Vermin-thing
24-01-2010, 05:29
My room has just enough space for a bed, everything else is warhammer. I feel I need to randomly build, and collect tens of armies at a time. A normal week will go like this: Skaven for a few days, OK the next, and then an entirely new project. (see rules development) I've got boxes piled all over the floor, filled with armies, I can't wait till I have room to build me a gaming table.

WodenMHC
24-01-2010, 06:42
I moved recently into a smaller house, and had to get rid of about 90% of my collection from the past 20 years. Some was easy to get rid of, some went to friends, some went for sale, but at the end I was left with only 3 armies out of about the 15 or so I'd had - It was a sad, sad day to see that hoard go.

To add to the hoarding problem, a friend of mine actually buys 3 of every miniature he wants to own - He builds and paints one to match his army, he uses the second for conversion pieces, and the third he leaves in the packaging for bartering with years later (my Archaon-on-foot, Sergeant Centurius, and Wolf Priest all can from him). So he's probably a hoarder x3.

Thanks for your time!

starlight
24-01-2010, 07:09
The Redhead* says: I finally gave in to Starlight's desire to collect (read: HOARD) styrofoam for future terrain construction. Said that a small piece of foam from a package of birthday candles was ok to keep if the CLOSET FULL of large, mangy looking, rather ratty sheets of styrofoam went in the recycling. Starlight declined. Sigh... I do not understand, but am working hard to accept the sickness that is Warhammer.

*not a linky (for NoS) :p

Condottiere
24-01-2010, 07:39
I tend to hoard PC parts - problem, obsolescence.

Nephilim of Sin
24-01-2010, 11:23
One thing that needs to be mentioned about this show......

The last episode I watched, they found a dead cat. From years ago, that was lost in the hoarding.

Then....they found another one from about a decade before.

Hoarding models and such is one things, as there is always some sort of resale value to it. Hoarding garbage, i.e. literally garbage, or in the case of one of the shows, used diapers, is an addiction. 'Hoarding' Warhammer, etc.... is a passion. Same with M:TG, Video games, whatever, as there is a method to the madness.

[color=red]

How...how did you even know I was going to read this thread? :confused: Or is it now just an instinct to not try and fool me with your false links! :p

Angelwing
24-01-2010, 11:42
One thing that needs to be mentioned about this show......

The last episode I watched, they found a dead cat. From years ago, that was lost in the hoarding.

Then....they found another one from about a decade before.

Hoarding models and such is one things, as there is always some sort of resale value to it. Hoarding garbage, i.e. literally garbage, or in the case of one of the shows, used diapers, is an addiction.

These people have a real problem beyond having a room full of toys. I mean dead cats? What else was in there? Vermin? Disease? It's a testament to the immune system that these people aren't dead.

How...how did you even know I was going to read this thread? :confused:

The mods know everything... :shifty:

Mannimarco
24-01-2010, 15:37
The Redhead*

I clicked then wondered why nothing happened

damn you starlight ;)

I dont think theres anything wrong with hoarding your warhammer stuff, after all you never know when your going to need the parts, its not along the same lines as true hoarders who (as we have seen) fill their houses and yards with all kinds of random garbage, I once saw a tv show called life of grime where some old guy filled his entire house with garbage bags full of all kinds of trash, there ware rooms just full of newspapers from over the years, empty food boxes from years ago strewn all around, to get into his house he could only open the door a little then squeeze through the gap as the hall was full as well

thats a serious problem, having several storage crates full of random bitz doesnt seem so bad now after seeing what this old guy had done

Satan
24-01-2010, 16:18
These people have a real problem beyond having a room full of toys. I mean dead cats? What else was in there? Vermin? Disease? It's a testament to the immune system that these people aren't dead.

I've seen the combination of the two more than once, Not specifically dead cats, but the clearly over-developed immune system.

:evilgrin:

And no hertz, it wasn't just at your place.

KidDiscordia
24-01-2010, 20:34
I always look at it this way. If worst comes to worst, I can always melt them down for bullets.

outbreak
24-01-2010, 20:42
They always have people like that on the "news and current events" shows here. One familys whole house and yard were filled with trash and the neighborus were complaining. I don't think collecting something is the same as hoarding trash. Collecting warhammer is like collecting stamps or........collectibles. Not that odd.

starlight
24-01-2010, 21:03
If you're *collecting*, there should be some sort of organisation or overall activity...

Master Jeridian
26-01-2010, 02:13
I'd say, like most human conditions, it's a spectrum rather than a 'sane' or 'insane' binary choice.

Left- At the one extreme you have people who keep nothing, who throw away and buy new all the time- even with things that could see longer use easily.
Right- At the other extreme you have people who hoard their own **** as shown here.

Wargaming collectors would fall most often (IMO of course) a little to the right of centre. It does take a little more hoard instinct to collect inanimate pieces of plastic in the hundreds than 'normal'.

Nephilim of Sin
26-01-2010, 03:25
If you're *collecting*, there should be some sort of organisation or overall activity...

Unless cats are involved. Those evil, evil creatures can tear apart the best organization.....:cries:

Now I think I know why the crazy lady in that one episode buried two of hers in piles of trash......:D

starlight
26-01-2010, 03:49
*...eyes the two sitting behind him on the back of the couch...*

Don't know what you're talking about...no idea at all... :angel:

:shifty:

doombanner
28-01-2010, 05:08
So I'm watching the video... where does the warhammer show up? :confused:

~Doom Banner

doombanner
28-01-2010, 05:25
Oh, nevermind, found it, it's about 2/3 of the way in.

I don't think he has a problem, he's just the typical overgrown manchild that never learned any life skills.

Oh yeah, every new hobby I have, I spend at least a grand on... :D

*giant sh_t-eating grin* :D :D :D

~Doom Banner