PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite Eldar Craftworld/civilization?

dannyapplejuice
20-01-2010, 23:50
Could be based on any reason; looks, story, ability. If other, feel free to specify.

bigcheese76
21-01-2010, 00:09
I just love the Alaitoc paintscheme and especially love the Eldar army pictured in the main rule book, page 226.

Hicks
21-01-2010, 00:24
Saim Hann! They scheme is very striking and fits with the super fast everything flies playstyle. The army really is a blast to play and it's very different from the other armies.

But the one thing that made me take the plunge and start them was the fluff. I love them because they are so uneldarlike. Honor and courage beats deception and trickery in my book.

From Shadows
21-01-2010, 00:47
Saim_Hann, but was very tough choice between them and the "Space Clowns"

Lord Malorne
21-01-2010, 01:09
Saim-Hann, but not for gaming.

Reflex
21-01-2010, 02:26
Biel Tan for their story and what they want to do, Ulthwé from 3rd edition codex/ codex craftworld. used to love guardian horde.

PsyberWolf
21-01-2010, 03:06
Alaitoc for several reasons. First their color scheme is cool. Second because I mainly play Cities of Death games. Their fluff points out that they use alot of rangers and they have also been known to associate with Harlequins. Both are good units for a CoD game because of their ability to ignore difficult terrain.

Wandre
21-01-2010, 03:16
Its a hard choice but if i have to i will choose Alaitoc. The ranger models drew me towards making an eldar army in the first place. 2nd place would go to the Exodites.

The Custodian
21-01-2010, 03:19
Altansar... Mainly since I love the fluff ( or lack of)...

GrimZAG
21-01-2010, 03:23
My own craftworld, dreamed up in the dark recesses of my mind. They are called 'Yns' and believe in a living eldar deity in Khaine with a red, black & yellow paint scheme. I haven't really fleshed their fluff out more than that, but they are totally awesome.

SlightlyEstranged
21-01-2010, 03:28
Malan'tai
I love the fluff that is out for them.

lordmoon
21-01-2010, 04:02
Biel-Tan. So awesome they can put little flowers on their tanks, and no one says anything to them.

Reflex
21-01-2010, 04:13
Biel-Tan. So awesome they can put little flowers on their tanks, and no one says anything to them.

i bet people do... but biel tan make sure those people are never seen again... ;)

lordmoon
21-01-2010, 04:27
The truth of the swordwind is uncovered.

xalfej
21-01-2010, 07:02
Voted harlequins, but i think my favorite craftworld has to be lugganoth(on the idea of them) and ulthewe for fluff

Lyonator
21-01-2010, 07:10
Siam Hann before they suddenly lost the CTM
(that being the day I stopped playing my eldar)

Close second to Aliatoc, snipers are cool, even if they kinda sorta may have glaring weaknesses in game

Bathawk
21-01-2010, 07:18
Another Altansar here

I liked the fluff, the reddish-purple colour scheme and their connection to the dark reapers (love the reapers)

Wolfblade670
21-01-2010, 07:20
I respect Biel-Tann for their warrior ethos and dedication to the old empire, but I really like Saim-Hann for their anti-authoritarian streak and general badassery. As much as an old Imperial Guard hardliner can respect a xeno, anyway. :D

Thud
21-01-2010, 08:00
Harlequins. Kicking Chaos ass, one dance-off at the time.

Mecha King Ghidorah
21-01-2010, 08:20
Out of the craftworlds Biel Tan would be my favorite got to love how they have a We take no BS policy going on. :)

Radium
21-01-2010, 08:55
Biel-Tan for gameplay, Ulthwé for colourscheme, Iybraesil and Yme-Loc for logos.

Poseidal
21-01-2010, 09:55
Biel-Tan here. Was always the aspects that I liked most about the Eldar, and the introduction of the vehicles to carry them really look nice with the thorny green pattern.

I almost started Ulthwe in 2nd edition though, but I never had any models that needed a Craftworld colour scheme back then, apart from maybe a farseer.

Bloodknight
21-01-2010, 09:55
Dark Eldar for fluff and looks (hey, I liked Hellraiser), with Iyanden being a close second. I just like this whole undead robot thing they've got going on.

feugan
21-01-2010, 10:30
Iyanden. Wraithguard? check. Wraithlords? check. Tragic decline at the hands of Tyranids that embodies the Eldar's fate? Yep, that too.

Oh, and yellow might not be the best camouflage but it neatly says "we're aliens and have no need for your military stylings!"

Oddly, though they currently lead your poll, only 2 people admit to liking them...

Lord Malorne
21-01-2010, 12:48
The rest of us have to convince ourselves we don't like them as much as we really do.

Saunders
21-01-2010, 15:15
Iyanden is my favorite, by far. Wraith units have such excellent looking miniatures and background, while Iyanden also sports a color scheme that audacious and very attention-grabbing when pulled off correctly.

The idea of actually fighting alongside the legendary heroes of your ancestors risen again is rather interesting. That, and wraithlords attending a council of war.

Tanith Ghost
21-01-2010, 15:35
Ulthwe for the win- They fight chaos and do it well, with all the fury of men who know full well the stakes and nature of their foe.

Gen.Steiner
21-01-2010, 15:59
Saim-Hann, of the Eldar. Always have, ever since I saw the cover of the WD when the Vyper was released - wild riders awaaay!

That said, I'm also very partial to the Dark Eldar and the Kabal of the Thorned Heart with its ally, the Wych Cult of Exquisite Pain - both my creations.

And I have plans to collect an Iyanden force as they're the craftworld closest to my Amalthean Crusade's area of operations in the Eastern Fringe...

...while my wife's getting a fully painted Biel-Tan Army for christmas this year. :evilgrin:

razormasticator
21-01-2010, 15:59
Sword Wind Baby, followed by Ulthwe... Sam Hainn arent bad either.

razormasticator
21-01-2010, 16:00
Biel-Tan here. Was always the aspects that I liked most about the Eldar, and the introduction of the vehicles to carry them really look nice with the thorny green pattern.

I almost started Ulthwe in 2nd edition though, but I never had any models that needed a Craftworld colour scheme back then, apart from maybe a farseer.

Plus lets face it, Beil Tan are angry, angry mean and nasty. Always fighting...:skull:

primarch16
21-01-2010, 16:06
Saim-hann were always quite cool to me, I'd love to do an army if GW ever give us a new jetbike model.

aeoglas
21-01-2010, 16:11
I saw the jetbike prototypes on warseer. Jes goodwin is doing them. And they look amazing.

Anyway, I love exodites. Next place would definetely be saim-hann, and I like playing an allied Wild rider / exodite army, since they go so well together.

Vhorlon
21-01-2010, 16:30
Beil Tan - Aspects are what brought me to Eldar - and they do aspects better!

aeoglas
21-01-2010, 17:08
Saim Hann: Better shining spears. SH And WS fit better in Saim list. Anything in wave serpent is debatebly more fluffy in Saim Hann list.

Not all aspects belong to Biel-Tan, you know.

jams86
21-01-2010, 17:58
yme-loc for me. engines of vaul FTW

Max_Killfactor
21-01-2010, 18:14
For me,

1) Dark Eldar
2) Harlies
3) Biel Tan

razormasticator
21-01-2010, 18:49
yme-loc for me. engines of vaul FTW

I do love their color scheme. I was seriously torn when doing my eldar.
I was split between Beil-Tan and Yme-Loc. Green is my favorite color so I chose BT. But Yme Loc is another great choice IMO.

Maxtermynd
21-01-2010, 18:49
Another Yme-Loc fan. Always loved the idea of an engineering craft world, plus absolutely love the dark grey-orange paint scheme.

scar face
21-01-2010, 19:18
Yme-loc... because i love orange and grav tanks :)

brightblade
21-01-2010, 20:35
Ulthwe, then my own. I just love the idea of Eldar standing to face their inevitable doom and thus embracing their final victory. Tragic as that is,for me, Ulthwe really seem to have a handle on that.:cries::skull:

Souleater
21-01-2010, 20:40
The True Kin.

Because Evil is This Season's Black.

Galatan
21-01-2010, 22:13
Iyanden. Love the striking colour scheme and I love prince Yriel's background (mainly because I used to play a corsair force). IMO Iyanden and Ulthwe both have the coolest history and backgrounds. Close 2nd is Harlies, 3rd=Ulthwe and Siam-hann get an honourable mention.

alexander_kalishnikov
21-01-2010, 22:44
yianden einfalt

yriel

large numbers of wraithlords and wraithguards,

nice colour scheme, BLUE!!! and YELLOW!!!

or as the ICELANDIC name for prince yriel is prince yndislegur (prince lovely)

Gen.Steiner
22-01-2010, 03:43
The best bit about Iyanden is the ghost warrior concept, I think.

Silentexile
22-01-2010, 04:38
Altansar all the way. The mysterious return from the Eye of Terror coupled with lack of other background making them highly mysterious, Maugan Ra being from Altansar, and the paint scheme of crimson and black makes them my Eldar society of choice.

TimLeeson
22-01-2010, 04:49
Concept wise, I LOVE the haemonculous/talos/grotesque aspect of DE for the "Hellraiser" cenobite feel. Wish they had better models, id totally do an army of cenobites with torture machines.

A close second is the Dark reapers, I love their armour and look.

carlisimo
22-01-2010, 07:47
I voted for Iyanden. I have a small army that I started back during 2nd edition, when the Iyanden colors were used on the box of the single-pose plastic Guardian and Jetbike boxes.

Those Guardians came with lasguns but also with a blister of metal shuriken catapults that you could use as upgrades. They had good armor penetration values (-2) and all my friends were into marines, so I went with the catapults. Oh how things would change. The jetbike box showed a model painted with yellow flames on a blue body, and I went with that.

Back then the codex only briefly said that Iyanden was one of the largest craftworlds and was currently in ruins due to a Tyranid attack. Big codex, tons of information, but very little differentiation between craftworlds until 3rd edition.

Gen.Steiner
22-01-2010, 09:16
The 2nd Edition box with metal shuricats came out about a year before 3rd Edition IIRC. I remember reading the battle report of the first ever W40K Grand Tournament final - Biel-Tan versus a home-grown Craftworld, and the army intro section noted that you got Sportsmanship points for having Guardians with lasguns rather than Shuricats!

Or it may have been the other way around; I forget which, either way it amused me at the time and still does. An excellent batrep, too, with some beautifully painted Biel-Tan figures. It was also the batrep which made me fall in love with Howling Banshees. :D

Poseidal
22-01-2010, 09:33
Was that the WD with the Space Hulk cover? I remember one Eldar mirror match battle report which had a GT or other winner against the staff winner.

One of the players had Jain Zar, and there were some Lasgun and Shuricat Guardians there and one of he players made a comment about it.

Gen.Steiner
22-01-2010, 09:39
I think it might've been - it was one of the 190-199 series of UK WDs. 198? Maybe? 196 was Necromunda.

Calibanite Bear
22-01-2010, 10:16
I’ve always liked the exodites since reading about them in the 2nd ed codex.

They ride dinosaurs and their souls are in less jeopardy due to manual labour. :p

Jernmajoren
22-01-2010, 13:52
I like the original eldars.. you know the ones that created Slaanesh.. Also like those who have joined him in the warp. :angel:

drmarco
22-01-2010, 14:27
All of them...At some stage I've tried each of them out for gameplay style changes whenever I fancied a themed army...

I was lured to 40k properly by Mike McVey's Alaitoc army in an issue of WD in the early 1990s, and the striking blue and yellow guardians, alongside the (then) recently released aspect fluff, got me painting with a vengeance. McVey even pushed the envelope in painting the aspects and showed how you could tweak aspect colours to be more thematic (including an ossum firedragon exarch with the first example of wetblending I'd ever seen, which still inspires my painting today).

Of course, in those days you could get away with charging your avatar into combat (in the movement phase!) and then pepper the squad he was in melee with using your fire dragon's melta templates (!) in the knowledge that he was immune to them...

Man those days were so filled with loopholes...

Soon after though, I realised the harlequins are the only Eldar that other Eldar truly regard as badass...Their background caught me when the compendium rules started with an actual real-life literary quote - one of the few times I saw something like that in 40k/any GW material without it being adapted...

Harlequins were described with a quote from G.K. Chesterton that simply stated that 'All their wars are merry, and all their songs are sad'...

While I love the concept of the Dark Eldar, their miniature range always left me disheartened, so while I've painted a few over the years (heavily converted) I am eagerly awaiting Jes Goodwin's reimagining of them...

Since then I've always been a fan of Alaitoc (my first love) and Harlequins (for the 'professional' painter/converter), although in recent years the Iyanden background pulled my attention, especially in BFG/40k crossover contexts...I loved fielding some more 'combat patrol corsair' types as the Dire avengers in my Iyanden list representing some of Yriel's Reavers...

Now that I see the 'Nid menace is on the rise again, I think it's time to dust off the wraithbone statues of the warriors of the shrine of Asuryan...I'm curious to see how an Iyanden themed wraith heavy force actually fairs against the new nids on the table...

Marco

Garvey
22-01-2010, 15:56
I love the Dark Eldar, both their background and some of the models. The Reaver Jetbikes, Archon, Urien Rackarth, Lelith Hesperax, and Incubi are some of the coolest models in the game.

The Raiders/Ravagers, Warriors, and Wyches are not that bad either.

dannyapplejuice
17-10-2010, 06:05
I haven't visited this for a while, but I guess I'll bump to see if more people reply.

RunepriestRidcully
17-10-2010, 07:39
Iyanden, they have tempted me to eldar for so long, I love te wraithguard, but hate their problems, I am thinking of doing them slowly (a couple wraithguard a month) but the price is the thing olding me back, their fluff has always attracted me, as well as wraithguard.

eldargal
17-10-2010, 14:24
The one I made up, Cait'Badd, floating about somewhere near Ultramar.

Nuggan
17-10-2010, 14:48
Harlequins, Loved the fluff and the figures since their start and ran a Complete Harlequin army since then.

I do like the Biel-tan stuff of "we don't take no crap from nobody" and "ill think you'll find we were here first"

Shamana
17-10-2010, 15:21
Harlequins, Ulthwe, Biel-Tan, more or less in that order.

Hendarion
17-10-2010, 15:24
Actually made up my own - Ynn'eal-Tan (see rune on the left), but for the vote its pretty much like to Biel-Tan.

Ivellis
17-10-2010, 15:39
Eldar are my favorite 40k race so this was a hard decision. Eventually picked Harlequins, they were what first drew me in to Eldar. After that it would be a tie between Exodites and Dark Eldar. I wish I could play an Exodite or Harlequin army.

Getifa
17-10-2010, 17:47
Overall it has to be DE. Vampire pirate ninjas for the win. I have been waiting a long time to restart this army and finally I now can.

Favourite Craftworld is Biel-Tan. When I first got into the hobby, there was a battle report with Biel-Tan against Orks I believe and the pics of the Guardians with there paint scheme just blew me away. I so wanted a Biel-Tan army then, But just didn't have the painting skills to do them justice. I still don't, But at least I know a few more cheats, so might be able to make them look ok.

Sorros
17-10-2010, 18:24
Go go exodites. Dragon-riding space elves with laser guns and swords=win.

Craftworld-wise, Iyanden is cool (although I despise that colour scheme), at least by fluff. Saim-Hann has a better colour scheme imo.

Lionel Mandrake
17-10-2010, 19:54
Ulthwé. The are not flashy, but they get the job done, fighting first line an apocapyptic war against Chaos, the true enemy of their race, rather than loosing equipement in squabbles against inferior races.
Besides, they have a special relation with Maugan Ra.

Dead7
17-10-2010, 20:17
Ulthwé...
Besides, they have a special relation with Maugan Ra.

really? what is it? i play ulthwe and i use maugan alot but ive never heard of this lol.

Shamana
17-10-2010, 21:59
Yeah, apart from him appearing in one of the Eye of Terror formations, I haven't heard of him and the Doooooooomed ones having any special relationship.

Woodsman
17-10-2010, 23:56
I think its mentioned he spent time there after Altansar disappeared and that there are lots of reaper shrines there (relatively).

Considering he now has his own home craftworld though, its a tenuous link at best.

SgtTaters
18-10-2010, 00:48
Saim Hann, coolest color scheme and red ones go fastest.

I'd say Biel Tann but Dawn of War really tainted their reputation lol

BUUUUT very recently, with the amazing new Dark Eldar codex, DE are right up there now

ja_warria19@yahoo.com
18-10-2010, 00:59
Exodite colonies. They are what give the eldar race ANY hope of being anything other than totally doomed irregardless of outcome of galactic conflict. I came up with my own Exodite/ craftworld faction known as the Roth'syr or "hidden ones." They are a flame loving army, they are heavily reliant on their fire dragon aspects. In light of this fact, the Autarch Fuegan even showed up out of the Webway to lead them, rousing the Avatar of their craftworld to fight with them.

Arvendragon
18-10-2010, 01:46
Ulthwe for fluff, army and color scheme, but I wanted a non-black color scheme...

Woodsman
18-10-2010, 02:07
Exodite colonies. They are what give the eldar race ANY hope of being anything other than totally doomed irregardless of outcome of galactic conflict. I came up with my own Exodite/ craftworld faction known as the Roth'syr or "hidden ones." They are a flame loving army, they are heavily reliant on their fire dragon aspects. In light of this fact, the Autarch Fuegan even showed up out of the Webway to lead them, rousing the Avatar of their craftworld to fight with them.

I presume you mean the PL? :p

Sparowl
18-10-2010, 02:19
Harlequins. They are pretty much the only thing keeping the three Eldar races together.

They worship one of the few remaining Eldar Gods, who protects them, and in return they wander around and remind everyone else "Hey, we're still one race, guys. We could be back on top if you'd all stop arguing."