PDA

View Full Version : Necron Codex - How far off?

vampiricus
21-01-2010, 10:36
Rumor is it is last before 6th edition, but when is that?

Today I played a 2k point game against the new nids and had my a$$ handed to me pretty much. The challenge is always there but its getting more and more difficult to play against all these armies with their new codex.

For some of us, (including me) we only play with one army. When I started I received a lot of new necrons as a gift. Now that I have a nice collection I dont really have the time and money to invest into another army.

THe necrons fit me so I wait, but like i said, for how long?

The "2010" models thread gave me a few nibbles but I need something that tells me it willl happen, or they are actually giving this army some attention.

Thanks for reading :)

Tarquinn
21-01-2010, 10:38
Between 7 months and we don't know.

Lord Damocles
21-01-2010, 10:40
I'm sure that if there was some indication (or not, whatever :shifty:) we'd all have heard about it in the 40K Rumours forum, just before all the 'GW screwed up Necrons' threads hit 40K General.

Spiney Norman
21-01-2010, 11:03
I think the closest thing we've had to an actual suggested date was early 2012 (which isn't very encouraging). However that was likely little more than guess work.

I'm fairly certain we wont see 6th Edition this year (as 8th Ed fantasy is up for release this summer) and I'd be skeptical of a 2011 release for a new 40K edition. Perhaps we will get a new book sometime next year, who knows, the problem is that every other codex release is a variant marine chapter, which kinda limits how fast they can get through the other armies.

I really hope we do get a book before 6th Edition, they really don't need another excuse to let us sleep for another edition.

Reflex
21-01-2010, 11:58
i remember some people saying January this year. then nids came along instead. hehe thank god it wasnt crons, because if they do that amount of damage to the cron codex i doubt i will care and will adapt my playstyle.

Crovax20
21-01-2010, 12:02
Last year around january there were quite a few of cron rumors. Harry came in and debunked it all, but shortly after Harry debunked GW started working on the Necron Dex. From what I gathered GW usually takes like a year to produce a new codex and units etc, thus having necrons this year is very much possible. I am going to guess they will come around september.

LonelyPath
21-01-2010, 12:13
As mentioned in the 2010 Models threads, some necron things have been seen, so it might be sooner than 2012, but who knows.

Thanatos_elNyx
21-01-2010, 13:37
The most optimistic rumour I heard was Christmas this year. :(

ChrisMurray
21-01-2010, 15:44
There aren't any solid rumours, just guesses(some more educated than others.).

I personally believe January next year is the most likely, but that is a wild guess with no inside info.

Lord Malorne
21-01-2010, 15:45
Next year.

rmthedude
21-01-2010, 15:47
Next Christmas.

Cheeslord
21-01-2010, 15:50
So ... they make a new Necron codex for 5th edition. then they make 6th edition and screw up all the rules for all the codices again. Then Necron players have to wait another 6 years or so...

Lord Malorne
21-01-2010, 15:52
It will be obviously made with 6th in mind.

primarch16
21-01-2010, 16:09
I think its gonna be next year sadly, IMO:

Blood Angels
Dark Eldar
Inquisition
Black Templars/Dark Angels
Necrons

Grie Velorn
21-01-2010, 16:39
I think its gonna be next year sadly, IMO:

Blood Angels
Dark Eldar
Inquisition
Black Templars/Dark Angels
Necrons

You forgot Tau, which is most likely somewhere in between Blood Angels and Inquisition.

Lord Malorne
21-01-2010, 17:09
I hope not.

Ba'al Starslayer
21-01-2010, 17:40
I doubt Tau are being redone. They're one of the newer armies and have already had 2 codecii (They were brought in late 2001 weren't they...? I forget.) But Necrons and CERTAINLY Dark Eldar are (Quite literally) ancient armies, and need a new codex a hell of a lot more than Tau =/ As much as I feel sorry for Xenos players, with every other Codex being Imperial-based and all, I do think BT/DA need updates since Space Marines changed so much in their Codex, although to be fair a quick errata and FAQ update could easily keep 'Templars and 'Angels going...

jsullivanlaw
21-01-2010, 17:41
6th edition? I haven't heard any rumors about this. Won't that be like 5 years down the line? Hopefully it's just 5th edition with wound allocation fixed and kill points removed.

Spiney Norman
21-01-2010, 17:42
Inquisition before crons is an interesting line of thought, at least we know necrons are being worked on, the rumours can't even decide whether the Inquisition will have one codex or two...

Monachus
21-01-2010, 18:11
it sounds like mid next year would be a fair bet, but v unlikely to be any sooner then that

SirSnipes
21-01-2010, 19:36
let me drop a suttle hint as i cant tell you, its next year, as are dark eldar. :P shhhhhhh

BaronDG
21-01-2010, 20:03
Take some comfort in the fluffiness of a 3rd ed. codex. The necrons are supposed to be "the horror the galaxy has forgotten!"

Lord Malorne
21-01-2010, 20:08
It is suitably ironic.

Likely to be next year as we all believe and hope, though I am sure we where thinking the same last year.

vampiricus
21-01-2010, 20:24
It just feels like a disadvantage (keep in mind i have only been playing a couple years) to be playing with outdated rules compared to everything else.

Last year I herd this year, now im hearing next year, or the next. I feel like 5th edition JUST came out, now a new book? 4th edition was out a long time before 5th right?

Lord Malorne
21-01-2010, 20:28
About 4 years IIRC

WinglessVT2
21-01-2010, 21:33
The thing here is, tau sells, while necrons don't, and GW likes money more than they like taking risks, so we're likely to get tau after blood angels, then templars, then eldar, then either necrons, more marines, or dark eldar.

Necrons are going to require a lot of rethinking before they'll become popular for real, while tau only need more updated background, some new plastics, and another whacky 'allied' alien or two.

Crovax20
21-01-2010, 21:47
The Necrons don't sell argument is flawed to be honest. Of course they won't sell as well as an army that is newer and works better with the ruleset. Would you buy a car that got released 10 years ago and during those 10 years non of the new gadgets have been implemented into that type, against a car that has been released 10 years ago but has got regular revisions and new technological gadgets?

Lord Malorne
21-01-2010, 21:48
Exactly tau sell and Necrons don't, hence necrons need it, besides, one more active xenos race is never a bad thing.

Spiney Norman
21-01-2010, 22:16
The thing here is, tau sells, while necrons don't, and GW likes money more than they like taking risks, so we're likely to get tau after blood angels, then templars, then eldar, then either necrons, more marines, or dark eldar.

Necrons are going to require a lot of rethinking before they'll become popular for real, while tau only need more updated background, some new plastics, and another whacky 'allied' alien or two.

Uh-huh, you're just not making sense. Lets tackle the problem of why Necrons don't sell. Lets see, they have a pretty cool background, their models are really quite good, despite being at least 8 years old and they're based on a highly successful series of Sci-Fi films with a fairly strong fan base that now has a spin-off TV show as well.

So why is the army unpopular? Because it sucks at the competitive level, and because of that it gets a reputation as a sucky army on the net, and no-one buys it because no-one wants to play a sucky army. Its the same reason I, as a necron player don't field pariahs, they suck.

The best way to boost necron sales would be to update the rules because its outdated rules are really the only thing holding the army back. They don't even need to "rethink" the army that much, they need to add in a few more options, perhaps drop a new vehicle or two and think about making some of the elites plastic, most of the range is already excellent quality.

cuda1179
21-01-2010, 22:24
With what has been said by people "in the know" on different forums, and one tiny tidbit from a source I have (don't ask me to ask him for any info, this is the ONLY thing has has ever told me) I would say that they have a shot of appearing early next year. This is of course subject to change.

Basically, here is what I have heard in the rumor mill. They started working on them a while back, and where happy with many of the models (Warriors, scarabs, Lords, destroyers), and had ideas on where to go with rules and new units, but didn't know how they wanted to handle the background and fluff. They wanted to take them in a certain direction theme-wise but didn't know how to do it without stepping on toes of other races and without sounding lame. Basically, they needed to re-think what it is that Necrons want, and how they do it.

Now, looking at the model range, they really don't have much to do, as necron have a rather limited unit selection. There is the obvious things like re-cutting the Destroyer boxes to include plastic heavy destoyer bits, and plastic Immortals and Tomb Spiders. Other than that all that is left is to update a couple units and make new models for another new unit. With the number of new boxes ever army gets, I think there is a good chance Necrons will get all of their units in one wave of releases, maybe a small wave two.

Here is one other thing to consider. GW a year or so ago vowed to keep all existing armies, and not "Squat" anyone again. They also mentioned that they would focuss on older armies and armies that didn't mesh well with 5th edition. Well, with the exception of the Space Marines (an obvious exception) they have been doing that. Tyranids didn't mesh with 5th, Imperial Guard, Space Wolves and Blood Angels had ancient books. What are the only other armies that fit this trend? Dark Eldar, Necron, Dark Angels, Templars, and the Inquisition. No one has heard anything about Templars or Dark Angels yet, and only one small rumor about Inqusition.

My guess is that after the Blood Angels in April there will be 6-7 months without any 40k armies (as this is the Summer of Fantasy, and they want to focus on it). After that is anyones' guess, but I hope it is Dark Eldar, as they all ready have a lot of work done on them and it would be a great way for 40k to burst back on the scene.

d6juggernaut
21-01-2010, 22:45
Tyranids didn't mesh with 5th, Imperial Guard, Space Wolves and Blood Angels had ancient books.

Blood Angels have an ancient book? They had a 5th edition PDF update, so they failed to fix anything with that update, and now they need to take the precious release spot away from armies that are in dire need of a serious update?:eyebrows:

cuda1179
21-01-2010, 23:03
Yes, they do have the PDF, but it's not a "book" so to speek. Many BA players felt a little let-down by the PDF, even though it is perfectly usable and free.

d6juggernaut
21-01-2010, 23:33
actually, that "let-down" given to the BA players is something necrons players are craving for, even if it's just a blank page with the a sentence "So...Necrons have Stubborn and Heavy Gauss cannon is twin-linked", it'll make our army much more fun to play with and against

cuda1179
21-01-2010, 23:47
I totally agree with you on this point. I haven't played with my necron in years simply because they are so underpowered in 5th Edition. If Necron could have a White Dwarf or PDF made for them I would pull them out right away.

vampiricus
22-01-2010, 02:01
The league I play in here in san diego actually tried out the rumors that flew out last year. claws with rending, tough 6 on dest, etc etc and it gave for some interesting play.

If there is a PDF out there or a section in White Dwarf that gave us necron players some new stats to hold us off so we can battle the new overpowered armies like nids, that would be very helpful.

poison took out my ctan on 4's to wound from a little flea, give me something!

The rules are 8 years old, some sort of a boost would help. it would even help sales of necrons because it would give people hope that something is on the table and to expect something concrete. If its about the money, give us a few stats...

Reflex
22-01-2010, 04:48
through all of this, however, i would like to point out, i personally do not want to see them botch the book. i still play with necrons and i do win some games here and there. i have blast in apocalypse with my nercon formations and pylons. all in all i still enjoy the army and am always buying more. yes im unhappy with the rules as they are old, but i would rather wait then get some half arsed attempted or something that is way off the mark because it was done poorly and in haste.

so as bad as necrons are, i still love them and play them and want to see them loved by GW, not given a poor excuse for a codex. so i dont mind waiting till next year, but if it keeps getting delayed then it will become annoying.

vampiricus
22-01-2010, 04:58
but i would rather wait then get some half arsed attempted or something that is way off the mark because it was done poorly and in haste.

Dude the rules are over 8 years old, thats a lot of time to plan, to work even a little bit on them. Haste would mean they decided to do it last minute, which shouldnt be the case...

Reflex
22-01-2010, 07:03
Dude the rules are over 8 years old, thats a lot of time to plan, to work even a little bit on them. Haste would mean they decided to do it last minute, which shouldnt be the case...

shouldnt but is.

necrons were fine through 3rd and 4th. infact in those editions necrons were quite powerful, therefore an update was unnecessary. 5th edition has been out for a wile now yes, but GW have placed other armies ahead of necrons which is not a bad thing as some of the other armies needed model and rules updates on a level similar to necrons.

IMO Nids did not need a new codex over necrons, however, as its pretty reasonable to say that GW have been stuck on where they want to take necrons when planning them in 08/09, i would rather wait till the end of this year, start of next year for them to get it right and take there time rather then pump them out in the next few months, OR have done that in the previous months.

Nezmith
22-01-2010, 07:17
What worries me the most is how everyone keeps saying they are going to "Re-think" the Necrons. When I think of those words now, I get worried that my army is not going to reflect the army I fell in love with.

Sure, take away some of the things that nobody liked, such as the C'tan being behind so many things, or tone down the Doomsday theme that so many armies seem to just exhale. (Tyranids, Chaos, Daemons)

But I hope that Andy's original intentions for the Necrons stay. I don't want to suddenly find out that the Necrons use the Warp for space travel, or that the tangible and immortal souls of a race that has passed into legend has become "Just some wacky malfunctioning robots from the halo stars."

After how much the Tyranid background changed, you can understand, I'm a little nervous.

Xelloss
22-01-2010, 08:00
Necrons are definitively gonna maybe be next year. Or within two years. With some luck.
I hope this answer your question Vampiricus.

vampiricus
22-01-2010, 08:07
Necrons are definitively gonna maybe be next year. Or within two years. With some luck.
I hope this answer your question Vampiricus.

thats quite a spread there. a decade with no update? That just doesnt make sense to me....

marv335
22-01-2010, 08:25
tell that to the DE players.

vampiricus
22-01-2010, 09:25
I dont really know any, i hope this isnt a pattern :-/

Reflex
22-01-2010, 09:41
many people refuse to play DE for the pure fact that the models are so abhorrent and such an eyesore that they make the tooth fairy cry.

seriously i would love a DE army for their rules, i mean they still win tournaments because they are such a good army. they arnt easy, but they are good! but i would rather chop up cat tails and make dim sims in st albans then paint those things they call models.

The Ginger Ninja
22-01-2010, 12:29
What worries me the most is how everyone keeps saying they are going to "Re-think" the Necrons. When I think of those words now, I get worried that my army is not going to reflect the army I fell in love with.

Sure, take away some of the things that nobody liked, such as the C'tan being behind so many things, or tone down the Doomsday theme that so many armies seem to just exhale. (Tyranids, Chaos, Daemons)

But I hope that Andy's original intentions for the Necrons stay. I don't want to suddenly find out that the Necrons use the Warp for space travel, or that the tangible and immortal souls of a race that has passed into legend has become "Just some wacky malfunctioning robots from the halo stars."

After how much the Tyranid background changed, you can understand, I'm a little nervous.
This is voicing my fears exactly, I hope the fluff stay similar.
I'm not sure whether I want GW to take thier time on the Fluff or not.
One way of looking at it is that if they hurry it, they won't have time to change much of the fluff, but then they could try and change it in a short timespan and then destroy it.
OR they might spend ages changing the fluff, making it better (or worse) and then we have to wait ages for a new codex
:confused:

azimaith
22-01-2010, 12:43
With the nid codex I'm much more concerned the lack of playtesting for new codex and the eyeballing points values rather than rigorously testing them will become endemic. We already see this happen with many codex outside of nids (Like vanguard vets) but usually its confined to a few select units.

Cheeslord
22-01-2010, 15:44
I imagine they will significantly nerf any expensive models every player already has lots of (e.g. monoliths) and put in a new different unit that does the job the old one used to do, to sell more expensive miniatures.

I only hope they don't get rid of the things that make the Necron army unique or leave units in the "worthless" pile again.

Oddly, I also hope they don't make Necrons overpowered too or playing with them would not be fun.

exsulis
22-01-2010, 20:05
The Necron was released in what 1999? Putting the old girl at 11 now, and she was a wrecking ball from the 3rd edition all the way through the 4th edition. 5th brought the list way down.

As I recall we got the first rumors about a Necron dex some 6 months ago(if someone remembers exactly when give it a go). Which with GW's average dev time of 18 months that would put them around now of next year.

As long as they stay in the make things cooler, and add stuff mode then we're bound to see a awesome army. Although I do hope the C'tan are gone from the dex, and the current models refered as Avatars, or Aspect of the C'tan. Gods on the battlefield is too much.

As to the Tau selling more than the Crons, its true. And not just from a current monthly stand point. They got their first codex in 2001, and had out sold the Necrons before their 2006 rerelease. This was still pre-5th IE the Necrons took a lascannon to the knee edition. Both had similarly aged models but the Crons were a better list, and still the Tau outsold them. So its not just about the list. The Necrons are just kind of a dull army to play, and play against.

You know how I used to win against Necrons(4th ed)? Tank shocking them off the objective in the final turns. The change(5th) is now most people don't have to hide those vehicles from Necron shots, and wiping a unit out is a lot easier(melee) so less WBB rolls.

sydbridges
22-01-2010, 20:12
The Necron was released in what 1999?

2001. They came out before the Inquisition dexes, after Tau.

Hrm, Wikipedia says 2002. I remember it was sophomore year in college, so that's still around the right time point.

Max_Killfactor
22-01-2010, 20:29
2001. They came out before the Inquisition dexes, after Tau.

Hrm, Wikipedia says 2002. I remember it was sophomore year in college, so that's still around the right time point.

The Necron Codex in my hand says 2002.

The Dark Eldar Codex next to my desk is too hard to read. The letters are faded and the paper is starting to fall apart.

TimLeeson
22-01-2010, 20:33
yep around late 2002 to be exact. So about 7 years since an update. Wouldnt surprise me if they end up being a late 5th ed army since their one of the 4 stepchilds of 40k unfortuantly. Very sad, I hope I am wrong as I love necrons and find them one of the few "official" factions that are actually awesome.

cuda1179
22-01-2010, 22:50
I can verify the 2002 release. I didn't start playing 40k until Janruary of 2001, and I didn't start collecting Necron until summer 2001. Until 2002 I was using the Chapter Approved army list. I still miss exploding scarabs, they scared Space Wolf terminators, LOL.

jsullivanlaw
22-01-2010, 23:00

That's a pretty weak argument that i see a lot. Of course Tau sells more than Necrons, it has more recent rules and is much more competetive. People make the same argument for Dark Eldar. They don't sell. Well, most shops don't even carry the models for one and the codex was written in 1998, of course they aren't going to sell well. I'd like to cite IG as a great example. IG rocketted up to the most competetive army with their new codex. They also received tons of model support. I remember when all I ever saw was space marines. Now 4 in 5 players play IG. The model support and ruleset are what sell armies, doesn't matter what the army is made of.

d6juggernaut
23-01-2010, 01:44
Of course Tau sells more than Necrons

Really now? Necrons seem to be the most popular xeno army around the 2 stores I go to, aside from the flood of marine players, a few IG players and maybe a single Tau player, everyone else (including me) play Necrons. A few days ago someone completely new to the hobby came in and bough a battleforce and a monolith and I've been seeing him painting in the store since then.

Bonzai
23-01-2010, 01:56
A while back Jervis had said a few things. First, was that Dark Eldar would be done when the models were done, and that Necron would come after dark eldar were released. It was also mentioned that DA and BA were being worked on at the same time as SW's. So from that we can expect something like;

Blood Angels: April
Dark Eldar (hopefully): towards the end of the year.
Dark Angels: Some time early next year
Necrons: Late next year at the soonest.

There has also been rummors of an inquisition dex, and possibly tau, so they may jump in line.

It has also said that the fluff is actively being worked on, and that it can be seen reflected in new releases. I take it by this they mean the Necron fluff in apocolypse, 5th edition rule book, Space Marines codex (Daimos incident), and Imperial Guard codex (Haven't seen the nid dex yet).

What this brings is: Detailes on the Necron command structure, with several tiers of lords. C'tan fall back into the back ground, and more focus is put on autonomous lords. This should be a good thing, as it may pave the way for more customization of the Lords, and even some lord special characters.

Maybe a Lord special character that has a wraith body, wraith rules, and allows Wraiths to become a troop choice?

Or a suped up tombspyder hq that allows all Necrons withing 12 to wbb on a 3+?

Lots of potential!

Znail
23-01-2010, 02:14
Its far from impossible for them to do 3 40k codexes in one year so it can come out earlier then that. But I agree that sometime next year seems a pretty good guess. It also depends on how much work is needed on the rules and minis. BA and DA are likely come as expected as the rules and minis are more straightforward. But the xenos ones depends on alot of factors. Necrons could drag out like DE has done althou I dont think their is quite the same need for a complete rework. Necrons should be possible to do with only some additions and minor changes. We dont know if that is how it will roll thou. Tyranids was totaly reworked and I didnt think they needed that much change either. So that makes it kind of hard to predict Necrons fate.

vampiricus
23-01-2010, 03:03
A while back Jervis had said a few things. First, was that Dark Eldar would be done when the models were done, and that Necron would come after dark eldar were released. It was also mentioned that DA and BA were being worked on at the same time as SW's. So from that we can expect something like;

Blood Angels: April
Dark Eldar (hopefully): towards the end of the year.
Dark Angels: Some time early next year
Necrons: Late next year at the soonest.

There has also been rummors of an inquisition dex, and possibly tau, so they may jump in line.

It has also said that the fluff is actively being worked on, and that it can be seen reflected in new releases. I take it by this they mean the Necron fluff in apocolypse, 5th edition rule book, Space Marines codex (Daimos incident), and Imperial Guard codex (Haven't seen the nid dex yet).

What this brings is: Detailes on the Necron command structure, with several tiers of lords. C'tan fall back into the back ground, and more focus is put on autonomous lords. This should be a good thing, as it may pave the way for more customization of the Lords, and even some lord special characters.

Maybe a Lord special character that has a wraith body, wraith rules, and allows Wraiths to become a troop choice?

Or a suped up tombspyder hq that allows all Necrons withing 12 to wbb on a 3+?

Lots of potential!

I dig it man.

I still think a nice nibble to create a balance with all the new rulebooks would be a nice section in white dwarf with some of the legal stat changes. anything

WinglessVT2
23-01-2010, 03:06
No way are they going to risk two rather unpopular xenos in a row, or a new codex for an army that's been underpowered and underperforming since the early days of 3rd edition.

It's more likely to be tau after blood angels, then either dark eldar or necrons, followed by regular eldar, or templars. GW likes money, and dislikes taking risks.
Probably the very last thing ever is going to be the inquisition.

chaos0xomega
23-01-2010, 03:09
I can tell you this much:

Dark Eldar and Necrons are going to most likely be out around the same time, there is a good chance of necrons coming before Dark Eldar (and vice versa), and Inquisition aren't happening for at least a year, more likely 2.

vampiricus
23-01-2010, 04:15
Im still getting to know people on this forum so forgive me if I word this incorrectly....

Is there anyone posting replies who work close with anyone at GW or anyone affiliated who might be able to toss a bone? Do they ever?

Stickmonkey, who I have read his other posts seem to have light on things. What is your take?

chaos0xomega
23-01-2010, 04:20
vampiricus - we dont know. There are clearly some people who have connections and do toss us bones every now and again. How they get their information and how much they really know, they dont tell us.

Stickmonkey clearly has access to information, but he himself has confessed to having been misled in the past. My convo's w/ more trusted posters indicate that he knows some of whats going on, but a lot of the stuff hes told us about is still a very long way away.

vampiricus
23-01-2010, 05:05
vampiricus - we dont know. There are clearly some people who have connections and do toss us bones every now and again. How they get their information and how much they really know, they dont tell us.

Stickmonkey clearly has access to information, but he himself has confessed to having been misled in the past. My convo's w/ more trusted posters indicate that he knows some of whats going on, but a lot of the stuff hes told us about is still a very long way away.

cool, thanks!

living_metal maniac
17-02-2010, 21:38
hahaha i say we have to wait for a whole new pass around the Codecies before we get a new one, wait for ultramarines to get their next codex then we have a 1 in 4 chance of an update lol. At this point i've hit the mile stone of the "your army is too old" syndrome, and thats who cares about the guesses for the new codex date bc in the end we will be back here 10 yrs from now doing the same thing (barring the end of the world doesnt happen by then). Sad but thats my view on things.....

magicmonkey
18-02-2010, 18:57
after the emperor wakes up

PxDn Ninja
18-02-2010, 19:41
It will be obviously made with 6th in mind.

I love GW's game, but as a company I hate them. Their design and production teams are the worst organized groups I have EVER seen in the games industry.

There is absolutely no reason that a new edition of the BRB comes out, and within a year all the codecies should either be fully updated, or at least have a faq updating them to the new rule system. Two years after a new BRB, the new codex for each army should be on shelves. This 10+ years and 3 editions behind **** is just poor asset management.

jspyd3rx
18-02-2010, 20:29
I sold my crons for nids. When the new dex comes out, I will most likely sell my fully painted nids for some good change and buy my crons again. I just couldn't take being phased out as mawlocs came up underneath my boys. It can be just too frustrating. I don't even want to talk about fighting SW. I do remember stickmonkey talking about a huge defiler sized walker. Bet it will be a redone tomb spyder. The current model is too small to be a monstrous creature. A giant tooled mega tombspyder with metal claws and a giant cannon would be great; with abilities similar to a tervigon producing scrabs. I see it happening. What do you guys think?

d6juggernaut
18-02-2010, 20:44
I strongly, STRONGLY think that GW should make a Necrons PDF 5th ed rule update like what they did for Blood Angels.

Seriously, personally I can't see any downsides to it. In reality there're quite a lot of people who are very interested in Necron's design, concept and fluff but are put off by their rules, giving them a simple update will potentially trigger more sales and it'll hardly get in the way of GW's power armor fest. And also, since there're so many things wrong with the current Necron rules right now, a few quick fixes and tuning will hardly make them overpowered as opposed to just making them more playable. Hell, I'll go out and buy 3 heavy destroyers right now if I get the official word saying "Heavy gauss cannons are 2 shots/twin linked".

Tymell
18-02-2010, 20:57
The only vague schedule I'm aware of is along these lines:

April is Blood Angels month, this is confirmed.

May/June would be time for another Fantasy army, general rumours suggest Ogre Kingdoms or Tomb Kings.

Summer will see Fantasy 8th edition.

We're still likely to see at least something else for 40K between summer and the end of the year, and possibly two things. Dark Eldar, Necrons, Daemonhunters/Witchhunters and Black Templars (assuming those last two are getting done) strike me as the ones most in need, with Eldar and Tau also being potential ones.

For Necrons, I'd say 2011 sometime. That's just guesswork based on the armies that could do with updating. The only trusted rumour I remember on them was from Harry at the start of 2009, saying that no work was being done on Necrons and there was absolutely no progress on it. Given his reliability, I'd say that puts Necrons firmly behind the Dark Eldar, who we have heard a number of rumours on suggesting the end of 2010/start of 2011.

Spiney Norman
19-02-2010, 17:35
The only vague schedule I'm aware of is along these lines:

April is Blood Angels month, this is confirmed.

May/June would be time for another Fantasy army, general rumours suggest Ogre Kingdoms or Tomb Kings.

Summer will see Fantasy 8th edition.

We're still likely to see at least something else for 40K between summer and the end of the year, and possibly two things. Dark Eldar, Necrons, Daemonhunters/Witchhunters and Black Templars (assuming those last two are getting done) strike me as the ones most in need, with Eldar and Tau also being potential ones.

For Necrons, I'd say 2011 sometime. That's just guesswork based on the armies that could do with updating. The only trusted rumour I remember on them was from Harry at the start of 2009, saying that no work was being done on Necrons and there was absolutely no progress on it. Given his reliability, I'd say that puts Necrons firmly behind the Dark Eldar, who we have heard a number of rumours on suggesting the end of 2010/start of 2011.

Ogres are not out this year, reliable sources have said they are delayed until next year at least due to compatibility issues between the new book and 8th Edition. Tomb Kings is a possibility, but not everyone is convinced they're far enough along to pinch the May/June slot vacated by Ogres so we could be looking at a wave release (daemons maybe?) to fill the hole in the schedule.

Tymell
19-02-2010, 17:58
Ogres are not out this year, reliable sources have said they are delayed until next year at least due to compatibility issues between the new book and 8th Edition. Tomb Kings is a possibility, but not everyone is convinced they're far enough along to pinch the May/June slot vacated by Ogres so we could be looking at a wave release (daemons maybe?) to fill the hole in the schedule.

Personally I'd plump for Tomb Kings being before them too (or a second wave of something), but I thought I'd seen something fairly reliable that also said Ogre Kingdoms were coming. That may have been from before these compatability issues came up though.

DeadlySquirrel
19-02-2010, 18:12
Necrons are being released at same time as dark eldar... 21st or the 23rd december 2012

LonelyPath
19-02-2010, 19:34
I love GW's game, but as a company I hate them. Their design and production teams are the worst organized groups I have EVER seen in the games industry.

Wizards of the Coast and White Wolf are much worse than GW in those regards, trust me ;)

However, back on topic. I'd expect Crons for early 2011, agyer Dark Eldar and before Dark Angels/Inquisition. However, it's also been said that Inquisition may be a possibility this year, so who knows?... Do not quote me on this, I'm just evaluating what I've seen on here amongst countless rumours and trying to put them into some form of order that at least starts to make sense.

Vhalyar
19-02-2010, 20:40
Wizards of the Coast and White Wolf are much worse than GW in those regards, trust me ;)

However, back on topic. I'd expect Crons for early 2011, agyer Dark Eldar and before Dark Angels/Inquisition. However, it's also been said that Inquisition may be a possibility this year, so who knows?... Do not quote me on this, I'm just evaluating what I've seen on here amongst countless rumours and trying to put them into some form of order that at least starts to make sense.

Rumors are all over the place. Some are saying Sisters are next, others are certain that it's Grey Knights, and some more are talking... you get the idea. And obviously they're all basing this on good "sources". What's next after Blood Angels and the missions is really up in the air.

LonelyPath
19-02-2010, 21:18
Rumors are all over the place. Some are saying Sisters are next, others are certain that it's Grey Knights, and some more are talking... you get the idea. And obviously they're all basing this on good "sources". What's next after Blood Angels and the missions is really up in the air.

I'm just taking things I've seen and trying to arrange them i nthe most common orders I've discovered. I doubt it'll happen that way at all so stating it's not fact and that I have no actual insight to what it really going to happen. it would be nice to have some more solid rumours though than "my source tells me" every 2 or 3 posts from people that later say something very different in another thread some 10 minutes later :(

Tymell
19-02-2010, 22:00

That makes me look forward to it all the more. All that I'd take as given in 40K right now is Blood Angels in April. Should be fun to see what comes after that.

Vhalyar
19-02-2010, 22:14
I'm just taking things I've seen and trying to arrange them i nthe most common orders I've discovered. I doubt it'll happen that way at all so stating it's not fact and that I have no actual insight to what it really going to happen. it would be nice to have some more solid rumours though than "my source tells me" every 2 or 3 posts from people that later say something very different in another thread some 10 minutes later :(

Sorry, I wasn't implying that you had insider knowledge of anything :)
It's just that with all of the contradicting rumors trying to figure out what comes after BA/later this year is a rather hopeless battle.

tazguy95
20-02-2010, 17:20
Necrons are being released at same time as dark eldar... 21st or the 23rd december 2012

Forgive me if I appear rude, but what is your source? It's like when I saw a post from someone, saying Tyranids were going to released in 2012 (this was before games day), and he was SOOOO positive. I'm only saying this because i'm curious about your source.

Lord Damocles
20-02-2010, 17:35
I think we'll find that Squirrel is being sarcastic ;)

http://www.greatdreams.com/end-world.htm

living_metal maniac
20-02-2010, 20:05
First off im sorry for my unbelievably rude post....im just frustrated like 90% of all necron players. As for the how far off thing, every statement is just an educated/uneducated guess and in my own opinion we're just rumouring the date to fill time in between GW codex releases thats all. Normally thats ok, but now the rumours have been going on since 4thed and its impossible to derive fact from wishful fiction....honestly we are in the cycle of frustration.

Realease date rumor > date goes by > we get angry that it didnt come > we decide to look for other rumors about the dat > bam! we make another realease date rumor of our own.......repeat process.

And now its happened so many times most just toss out dates hopng to get a rise outta their fellow necron players. Still its better than heading to GW home facility and throwing monoliths filled with paint bombs throught the window lol.
Hopewise next january is when the necrons obtain rebirth

Tymell
20-02-2010, 20:27

It's quite an appropriate comparison point. Because just like I want to get the names of all the people who really -do- believe the world will end then, so I can point and laugh when it doesn't, I feel I should be keeping a list of all the folks so certain Dark Eldar will never be redone, ready to do likewise when they are :p

As for the how far off thing, every statement is just an educated/uneducated guess and in my own opinion we're just rumouring the date to fill time in between GW codex releases thats all.

Pretty much, aye. As mentioned, beyond Blood Angels in April hardly anything is known for 40K, and the last I (reliably) heard on Necrons was nothing having been done on them this time last year.

Red Beard
21-02-2010, 03:18

I laughed so hard when I read this. I love it! ;)

tazguy95
23-02-2010, 18:05

I believe I have been had.:cries:

living_metal maniac
11-03-2010, 23:17
well it seems we're after the Inquisition/DH since their codex misteryously disappeared, and our necron dex is.......still collecting virtual dust on the GW website. Usually the next army to get a new edition loses their dex online several month before the new release.
.......all i can say is it looks like we'll see the new codex when the world ends like Damocles refered to

LonelyPath
11-03-2010, 23:37
Sorry, I wasn't implying that you had insider knowledge of anything :)
It's just that with all of the contradicting rumors trying to figure out what comes after BA/later this year is a rather hopeless battle.

No problem :) I think we're all pretty much clutching at straws here for any news whatsoever. But, it would be nice to have something official leaked out to give us some scope in the release timeline.

SlightlyEstranged
12-03-2010, 06:47
IIRC Harry said that Necrons had been started in January of 2009 (there about any ways). After that was a discussion of how it took close to 18months to actually make up the average codex.

Unless something has changed since the (this was awhile ago he said this) I'm hoping for a late 2010 release.

Wishful thinking on my part? Most likely I'm afraid but meh. . . I'll grasp whatever straws I can.

Tymell
12-03-2010, 08:50
IIRC Harry said that Necrons had been started in January of 2009 (there about any ways). After that was a discussion of how it took close to 18months to actually make up the average codex.

Actually, Harry's quote from January specifically said Necrons weren't being worked on at that time.

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3243890#post3243890

Personally I've not heard anything one way or the other since then, so maybe they are being worked on by now. But not at that stage, according to Harry.

living_metal maniac
20-03-2010, 13:05
So i poped into my gaming store to pick up a few pariah the other day, and a friend of mine told me about a new necron codex coming out january 2011.....usually I'd pull out a warscythe and lop off his head for making more rumors about the army. But he was a good friend and only says anything about a new codex when it is acually a possiblity, so i went to http://www.librarium-online.com/forums/rumours-news-previews/191134-necrons-january-2011-a.html (http://www.librarium-online.com/forums/rumours-news-previews/191134-necrons-january-2011-a.html)
just to see if he was right...and everything he told me was right there, so for now at least i'll buy it, January 2011 folks.

Gargskull
20-03-2010, 14:46
I'm surprised nobody's brought this up yet;

2009 - Januwaaghry
2010 - Niduary
2011 - ...Cronuary? :D

Max_Killfactor
20-03-2010, 15:27
In about 10-11 months.

Kurgash
20-03-2010, 16:38
I'm surprised nobody's brought this up yet;

2009 - Januwaaghry
2010 - Niduary
2011 - ...Cronuary? :D

With that in mind, only January for the xenos, rest of the year for imperial...sounds about right:wtf:

susu.exp
20-03-2010, 17:38
well it seems we're after the Inquisition/DH since their codex misteryously disappeared, and our necron dex is.......still collecting virtual dust on the GW website. Usually the next army to get a new edition loses their dex online several month before the new release.
.......all i can say is it looks like we'll see the new codex when the world ends like Damocles refered to

This is somewhat flawed reasoning. The Inquisition codices went downloadable PDF. It did so in germany quite a while back. The reason for this is simple: They printed a certain number of copies and ran out. In a printing job you want to reach big numbers, because it gets cheaper to print per copy. At the same time the prints take up storage space. Now, it´s rather easy to figure this out. The Inquisition codices sell X copies per month, to recoup the cost of printing G copies, a certain percentage p has to be sold. pG/X is the time until cost are recouped. With a slow moving book pG/X is high and can easily be a couple of years and the time the german one has been online suggests that that´s the case for the Inquisition books. The Necron one could have a horter time to recouping the printing cost, or simply higher stock levels. They won´t go to Pdf until it´s close to being sold out and they certainly don´t take books for which they still have stock from the store. I think the 3rd Ed. Rulebook was available the day before the release of 4th Ed.

shin'keiro
20-03-2010, 19:16
Well ive heard it this way.. and elsewhere on these forums it has been said the new 'Cron dex is out June.

Blood Angels (April)
Necrons (June)
Dark Eldar (September)

Kurgash
20-03-2010, 19:46
Well ive heard it this way.. and elsewhere on these forums it has been said the new 'Cron dex is out June.

Blood Angels (April)
Necrons (June)
Dark Eldar (September)

Hmmm Spearhead in June...massive amounts of tank play. What army would come along and easily wreck all that fun with mere infantry? BY GOD IT MAKES SENSE!

Tymell
20-03-2010, 20:22

Blood Angels (April)
Necrons (June)
Dark Eldar (September)

Whichever forumite claimed Necrons are due June, and that schedule in general, I'd be very sceptical of them in future: the Spearhead release is set for June, making any other significant release then highly unlikely. It's also more often said that Dark Eldar are further along than Necrons, though even then September is also doubtful for their actual release (if only because Fantasy 8th edition is expected in summer).

In other words, pretty much the only part of that I'd believe is Blood Angels in April, because that's already fully confirmed :p

susu.exp
20-03-2010, 22:27
It's also more often said that Dark Eldar are further along than Necrons,

I think the actual quote by JJ was that DE are "further". This has been interpreted as "further along" and "further away". While the former is more likely from all that we know, I find it odd that both views are held rather feverishly by people, both citing the same quote for support. From what I gather - and I can´t claim to have any information apart from what I´ve picked up from people - DE are most likely late this year and Necrons early next year, with a whole lot of question marks between BA and Q4 - even if fantasy gets a couple of releases and june has Spearhead confirmed.

Tymell
20-03-2010, 23:28
Actually, I wasn't aware of any quote by JJ :p I was talking about the impression I've gotten from reliable rumour-posters here on warseer, which is of Dark Eldar being further along than Necrons. Nothing definite, but I've certainly heard more on DE than on the 'crons.

susu.exp
21-03-2010, 00:01
It was in a GD thread IIRC, Jervis was asked bout both DE and necrons and confirmed both were in the works (AFAIK the early 2010 date for Necrons comes from triangulating between that date, the time Harry noted they were not being worked on and the general 18 month it takes to do a Codex project). When asked which would come out first, he replied "DE are further". I´ve seen it interpreted both ways (generally as further along in Necron threads and further away in DE threads). I think from the time we know JG started on DE we can draw the conclusion that they are really further along. But whenever I hear the word "further" used in this context I think there´s something shaky in there.

mulkers
20-06-2010, 15:34
any updates?

precinctomega
20-06-2010, 16:11
Very little, specifically.

My information has it that the original release plan for 2010-2011 was Blood Angels, Dark Eldar, Dark Angels, Necrons, Grey Knights. I understand that there was a bit of a battle between the Studio and the Marketing/Sales people, with the latter wanting to bring forward the GKs to replace DE in order to sustain sales from the BAs, releasing the Storm Raven and plastic GKs in time for GDUK for a big cash injection (because power armour=*ka-ching!*).

The Studio fought this off, insisting that the GK codex wasn't ready for release that soon and that the DE had been ready for months and there was no point in delaying it again. So word is that DE will be the big GDUK release.

Smart money is suggesting that the Dark Angels have been pushed out of their release slot in favour of GKs as a compromise position - the DA minis don't really need any updating so there's no big cash input coming from them, and releasing the GKs in the Dec/Jan slot will sustain GW through the post-Christmas slump.

So far, all the signs are that 'crons will then follow in 2011 Q2, but rumours are now leaking out that Sisters of Battle are going to get a PDF/White Dwarf codex release in place of a proper codex. This is said to be a tactic to meet the executive commitment to update all of the remaining factions/races before 6th Edition: pushing out a PDF codex with no significant additional miniatures to support that release buys the designers time on more profitable ranges.

Whether the SoB PDF 'dex comes before or after the print 'crons 'dex is anyone's guess, including the people in Lenton.

And that's the word on the street today.

R.

Necron Lord Omega
20-06-2010, 16:18
I've noticed that people regardless who or what they are posting rumours on these forums actually no jack *****. Next codex could be Necron it may even be the last codex released before 6th ed 40k.
With GW's treating of its customer base as a bunch of lepers when it comes to information about future release dates anything is possible.

precinctomega
20-06-2010, 16:34
Except that, if you look at the trends and have a chance to speak to people inside the organization about the planning and decision-making process, a degree of predictability emerges.

For example, I've heard people complain about GW's tendency to release codexes in a drip-drip fashion, compared unfavourably with PP's release of all the new army books for Warmachine in the first few months after 2.0 was published.

But if you look at the two companies, these strategies make perfect sense. GW is the market-dominator and their motivation is to sustain a predictable income on a year-on-year basis. Hence, a "one-at-a-time" release system makes sense.

PP, meanwhile, is the second-place man to Usain Bolt - second, but so far behind as hardly to count. This means that they have to use short-burst strategies to lure custom away from GW to their own product. So setting themselves up as an attractive alternative to GW using this short-termist strategy makes equal sense.

In the unlikely event that GW slipped into PP's position and vice versa, you can bet your last penny that the business strategies of each would equally be reversed.

R.

Kurgash
20-06-2010, 16:57
At least DE will get their much needed glory. I'm happy with that.

Necron Lord Omega
20-06-2010, 18:10
Well we roughly know the cycle of when a codex is going to be released apart from this summer where they seem to be skipping one with the Chaos Daemons min rerelease. So it can really be any codex next even another colour of space marines if they are feeling that nasty.

living_metal maniac
11-09-2010, 17:21
not to dirve this forum even more off track, but what would explain the idea of not giving anyone information on the next codex....it seems counter productive if they wish to pick up some extra profits.

Its simple, like video games: make the newcomers interested in a new 'cool' army; and at the same time, build the excitement in the traditional/regular costumers so they will be more likely try the army out when it releases. Meanwhile, several costumers will be willing to jump the gun and buy the old models in an attempt to be ready for the new codex. At that point people will clear out the old models (and it will be an even clearing since the customers won't know what models will be nerfed and what ones will be fixed + or even overpowered).

Dead_Metal
19-09-2010, 00:47
Why cant GW bring some sort of apocalypse war weapon of destruction for necrons.It would make necrons once again one of the most evil armys of WH40K.
But i have to admit the C'tan are a bit to powerful and i do think they should be toned down a bit. Although whats a bit shifty is the fact in the codex it states that there are 2 more C'tan left so maybe thats what GW are up to?:confused:

living_metal maniac
21-09-2010, 20:15
Why cant GW bring some sort of apocalypse war weapon of destruction for necrons.It would make necrons once again one of the most evil armys of WH40K.
But i have to admit the C'tan are a bit to powerful and i do think they should be toned down a bit. Although whats a bit shifty is the fact in the codex it states that there are 2 more C'tan left so maybe thats what GW are up to?:confused:

one issue is, the big picture....you can't just tone down a god and call it fair. There are those who want the army's fluff to makes sense, not have a C'tan that will lose combat to a 5 man marine squad. Either you increase their cheesey-ness, jump them to apocalypse mode, or leave them the same and incorporate more powerful and costly models to force a choice in who you want to field (one of the reasons why most HQ slots have a C'tan in them is because the alternative is a lord with less than 1/8 of the god's power at a 3rd of the price).
The question about the other 2 gods: the Void Dragon can't wake up b/c he's most likely the god of the machine for the imperium, the ousider could escape his prison though. I'd say he would be incline to fight the other 2 (being insane and all).

As for the weapon of war....yeah the pylon+doomsday class monolith are pretty much lack luster (the Dd monolith is also an extrememly uncreative model). Perhaps the gods will become apocalypse titans..but thats my hopes not a rumor.

Tethylis
21-09-2010, 21:06
But i have to admit the C'tan are a bit to powerful and i do think they should be toned down a bit.

Wait until you face Marines with Sternguard or Terma/Hormagaunts with poison attacks then try to tell me C'tan are too powerful. ;)

Zweischneid
21-09-2010, 21:18
There are those who want the army's fluff to makes sense, not have a C'tan that will lose combat to a 5 man marine squad. .

Lol. Have you read any Space Marine Fluff? 5 of them against only 1 God seems almost unfair. Unless all Marines are blindfolded and have one hand tied behind their back maybe.

TheLaughingGod
21-09-2010, 21:32
I heard Necrons are getting squatted actually... I overheard a manager talking with a corporate type talking at the back of the Bunker I visit and they were speculating that Necrons will be removed to the background. The Dark Eldar are going to be revealed as the big bad soul harvesting race and Necrons are going to get a mini-dex and be phased out.

That's what I heard, anyways. So grain of salt I guess.

Lord Damocles
21-09-2010, 21:34
I heard that the Necrons were eaten by the Dark Eldar.

Now they have indigestion.

loveless
21-09-2010, 21:36
The Necrons are too background-prevalent to be "squatted" - heck, they seem to be included in some mad antagonist story in nearly every 5th edition Codex thus far. More importantly, one of the premier art pieces for 5th edition is Ultramarines vs. Necrons.

You can say they're being phased out, but they'll be back ;) (see what I did there? :p)

The Ginger Ninja
21-09-2010, 21:42
Lol. Have you read any Space Marine Fluff? 5 of them against only 1 God seems almost unfair. Unless all Marines are blindfolded and have one hand tied behind their back maybe.
Have you read Nightbringer by Graham McNeil? IIRC it does have a squad of space marines fight a god. I can't remember who won though.

...Necrons are going to get a mini-dex and be phased out...
Damn you sweeping advance! ;)
Though I doubt that will happen.

TheLaughingGod
21-09-2010, 21:48
The Necrons are too background-prevalent to be "squatted" - heck, they seem to be included in some mad antagonist story in nearly every 5th edition Codex thus far. More importantly, one of the premier art pieces for 5th edition is Ultramarines vs. Necrons.

You can say they're being phased out, but they'll be back ;) (see what I did there? :p)

Well all I'm saying is that they aren't going to get a huge codex/models update. Just a PDF and a downplay in the background. C'tan are rumoured to be removed entirely and they Necrons will be re-written as their original raiding force, and not the galaxy spanning empire they once were. The War in Heaven is going to be redefined as Dark Kin versus Craftworlders and the Eldar/Chaos Gods (hinted at in the new Eldar book chapter prefaces)

Essentially they're being slowly written out of the background.

loveless
21-09-2010, 22:15
Well all I'm saying is that they aren't going to get a huge codex/models update. Just a PDF and a downplay in the background. C'tan are rumoured to be removed entirely and they Necrons will be re-written as their original raiding force, and not the galaxy spanning empire they once were. The War in Heaven is going to be redefined as Dark Kin versus Craftworlders and the Eldar/Chaos Gods (hinted at in the new Eldar book chapter prefaces)

Essentially they're being slowly written out of the background.

I find this unlikely, since at the advent of 5th edition, they've been consistently "up-played" in the background - from interactions with the Blood Angels, to the insane World Engine that crushed a Space Marine chapter in its death throes, to various other bits of the remnants of the Necrontyr.

Such a back-tracking is pointless. They've already altered the Necron background a bit in the BRB, downplaying the C'tan significantly. I'm actually assuming that that forms the basis of a "telephone" rumour - C'tan are played down, which must mean the entire Necron force is being obliterated :p

I fully expect to see the Necrons fleshed out, so to speak. That said, I wouldn't be surprised to see them be the last of the "old books" to get done (meaning I wouldn't be surprised to see Grey Knights and Sisters of Battle first).

TheLaughingGod
21-09-2010, 22:22
I find this unlikely, since at the advent of 5th edition, they've been consistently "up-played" in the background - from interactions with the Blood Angels, to the insane World Engine that crushed a Space Marine chapter in its death throes, to various other bits of the remnants of the Necrontyr.

Such a back-tracking is pointless. They've already altered the Necron background a bit in the BRB, downplaying the C'tan significantly. I'm actually assuming that that forms the basis of a "telephone" rumour - C'tan are played down, which must mean the entire Necron force is being obliterated :p

I fully expect to see the Necrons fleshed out, so to speak. That said, I wouldn't be surprised to see them be the last of the "old books" to get done (meaning I wouldn't be surprised to see Grey Knights and Sisters of Battle first).

Hey, Squats were mentioned in 3rd before they got eaten.

Lord Damocles
21-09-2010, 22:33
Hey, Squats were mentioned in 3rd before they got eaten.
Not in the Rulebook, nor any of the Codeces, they weren't.

ChrisMurray
22-09-2010, 09:52
I don't believe Necrons will be "squated". The rumour-mongers have all hinted that they are being worked on (although not stated when they'll arrive). Forgeworld has also stated that they will be releasing or at least showing a new Necron model at games day (this sunday!!). I think Necrons are staying.

incarna
22-09-2010, 20:41
I sincerely hope Necron players do not assume the mantle of the Dark Eldar players with their mantra: “Army X is gonna get squatted! We haven’t seen an update in Y years!” perpetual Chicken Little.

Necrons will get an update eventually and there will certainly be some re-sculpts of old models released along with some new models for new units that will come with the new codex. It could come as early as late next year or it might take longer. Be patient. It sucks that GW doesn’t let its customers know more about their development timeline but it’s unlikely that will EVER change.

Is it too much to ask each sub-section of the 40k community not to devolve into a mob of doomsayers every time a given codex becomes the most out of date?

loveless
22-09-2010, 22:16
Seeing as how Stickmonkey has just recently put up a post in N&RD regarding both Tau and Necrons, I think we can put this "squatting" nonsense to rest.

living_metal maniac
24-09-2010, 17:18
I do love to see a troll war break out...the fact is no the Necrons won't be "squated" too many people like them, and it is an exellent army for newbie painters to get a race that is very forgiving for one who might not be confident with their color scheme.
A simple explanation for the downplay on C'tan could mean their just shifting focus onto the actual race and not their gods. Perhaps trying to transituon them to Apocalypse level play as rumored long ago.

and if you still doubt me check this out http://space-wolves-grey.blogspot.com/2010/09/necron-tomb-stalker.html

Stonerhino
25-09-2010, 00:42
I heard that the Necrons are going to come out as Tau allies when they are redone.

JK. The Necrons are way to intermixed in the 40k background now. They have to stay in some from. Even if it's just as they are forever. As it is I'm not to worried about it.

Col. Tartleton
25-09-2010, 06:50
You may be kidding about the new Tau ally thing, but I think the new Necrons will be tragic anti heroes. Like Eldar without the eccentric/psychopathic artistic flair the Eldar have. The latest fluff has some of them as extremely lethal warmachines, some of them as incompetent damaged programs running through the same pattern again and again to the delight of Guard commanders, and them teaming up with the Blood Angels.

I think they're going to make them the Tomb Kings of 40k. Old, bitter, melancholy, grimdarkian undead. It gives them character and players more room to imagine scenarios. Yes Lord Iahmoshetep is a deranged villain out to steal your life, but Lord Khathetptah is just trying to seal off the warp in order to prevent his future from being ours...

Iah! Ze Terminator!

Stonerhino
25-09-2010, 07:41
Funny enough I played Tomb Kings.

Reflex
26-09-2010, 06:40

LOL.. funny people are funny..

the idea that necrons being squatted hurts but wont happen. especially now that FW just released that creepy crawly. Necrons are surprisingly popular to.

point being, the buzz on the interwebs point to necrons being next year, anytime. I dont think it matters though, because the later they are released hopefully it will mean the more powerful they will be.. (thoughts of a crazy person? i think so....)

living_metal maniac
10-02-2011, 23:42
even so the idea that someone even suggested a 'squatting' of the necrons, proves that their deserving of a new dex.

remembering that deserving and who GW will make op, are two very different concepts.

P.S. lets just pray to the 4 stargods that we get to see one before 2012 and the world ends....lol