PDA

View Full Version : Good armies for WotR starter game?

Sedge
21-01-2010, 11:25
I have the pleasure of introducing a new player to the WotR game (a girl no less:eek: :)) so I would like some thoughts on these armies.

945pts Isenguard vs 945 Rohan

Erkenbrand, Captain of the Westfold 75
Déorwine, Captain of the Royal Guard 50
Meriadoc, Esquire of Rohan 75

Riders of Rohan Éored 6
Riders of Rohan Éored 3
Royal Knights with Banner 6
Oathsworn Bowmen 3
Oathsworn Militia with Cpt 6

Lurtz 175

Warg Rider warband Cpt with Sheilds 6
Feral Uruk-Hai Warband 3
Isengard Orc Warband Cpt and Sheilds 8
Isengard Orc Warband Bow 2
Uruk-Hai Warband 5

Mostly made up off troops from my Mordor List. I went for Isenguard to give the Evil army a strong fighter to lead them. I didn't want to include magic in a training game. The formations are large so they shoud be able to survive a few rounds of combat as well. Any thoughts?

Spiney Norman
21-01-2010, 17:36
I have the pleasure of introducing a new player to the WotR game (a girl no less:eek: :)) so I would like some thoughts on these armies.

945pts Isenguard vs 945 Rohan

Erkenbrand, Captain of the Westfold 75
Déorwine, Captain of the Royal Guard 50
Meriadoc, Esquire of Rohan 75

Riders of Rohan Éored 6
Riders of Rohan Éored 3
Royal Knights with Banner 6
Oathsworn Bowmen 3
Oathsworn Militia with Cpt 6

Lurtz 175

Warg Rider warband Cpt with Sheilds 6
Feral Uruk-Hai Warband 3
Isengard Orc Warband Cpt and Sheilds 8
Isengard Orc Warband Bow 2
Uruk-Hai Warband 5

Mostly made up off troops from my Mordor List. I went for Isenguard to give the Evil army a strong fighter to lead them. I didn't want to include magic in a training game. The formations are large so they shoud be able to survive a few rounds of combat as well. Any thoughts?

I've little experience with Isengard, but I know Rohan reasonably well. Take out Meriadoc and Deorwine, take Theoden instead, he's an absolute bargain.

Also fit your cavalry units out with banners, personally I think 4 companies is sufficient for a cavalry formation at 1K and below, but I would take a larger Royal Knight unit. If cavalry do not charge they are not worth fielding, banners maximise their chance of charging and are well worth it.

Steam_Giant
21-01-2010, 18:26
For Isengard, I'd add a troll or ballista. This will be a nice introduction to monsters and artillery.

Id drop the Uruk-hai warband to four, and switch out the shields for bows on the wargriders, these guys are "prowlers" not cavalry. Maybe split the unit into a two without bows and a four with, or take one unit of three w/ bows and spend the points on the seige ballista.

EDIT: drop a captain and take Thrydan (seriously, Isengard would never leave home without him)

Sedge
22-01-2010, 10:09
I've little experience with Isengard, but I know Rohan reasonably well. Take out Meriadoc and Deorwine, take Theoden instead, he's an absolute bargain.

Also fit your cavalry units out with banners, personally I think 4 companies is sufficient for a cavalry formation at 1K and below, but I would take a larger Royal Knight unit. If cavalry do not charge they are not worth fielding, banners maximise their chance of charging and are well worth it.

Good points. I am taking the lesser Characters because they are not as competitive. I have never even used Merry yet so we will see if he can do anything worthwhile. Actually I've never taken Theoden either, normally I'd go with Eomer, Deorwine (or Erkrnbrand) and Radagast, but he does look good. Isn't Theoden a bit suceptable to duels though?

I think I will disagree with the unit size. 6 companies are very useful in my experience but agreed they could do with a banner.

Sedge
22-01-2010, 10:11
For Isengard, I'd add a troll or ballista. This will be a nice introduction to monsters and artillery.

Id drop the Uruk-hai warband to four, and switch out the shields for bows on the wargriders, these guys are "prowlers" not cavalry. Maybe split the unit into a two without bows and a four with, or take one unit of three w/ bows and spend the points on the seige ballista.

EDIT: drop a captain and take Thrydan (seriously, Isengard would never leave home without him)

I would but I don't have a troll or ballista. Good idea though.

I think Wargs are one of the better cavalry in the game. S4, thown weapon and prowler all stack up for a good unit that exploit things early or can be better held for a mobile reserve. They are more likely to get the flanks then.

Thrydan? but why? I don't have any Dunlendings in the army so it would look odd using him. Also at our club we play that in duels you always use the unmodified Fight value so no ES dueling.

Enfid
22-01-2010, 10:35
I won't go with that many Epic heroes yet. If the player(s) think that they like the units and strategy revolving around them, they can stick with one or two captains as their leader. If the player(s) like heroes, then many is fine, though I'll leave them out in the very first game you play until you learn about the basics first.

I feel like Rohan is a bit specialized, and I think Gondor is a better army to learn from due to its balanced list.

And no, don't include magic yet.

Sedge
22-01-2010, 15:44
I think I will keep the Epic Heros in for this game if just to show the characters in the books. I'm going to use the Rohan and she will be the Isenguard, thats why she has the harder hero.

It might have been better to use Gondor but as I only down have one I will have to stick with what I've got. I had to scrape the Isenguard army together from my Mordor army but I didn't want to include all those Nazgul just yet and I need a local player to get interested in collecting an Isenguard army.

And yes, no magic yet.

Steam_Giant
22-01-2010, 15:51
I would but I don't have a troll or ballista. Good idea though.

I think Wargs are one of the better cavalry in the game. S4, thown weapon and prowler all stack up for a good unit that exploit things early or can be better held for a mobile reserve. They are more likely to get the flanks then.

Thrydan? but why? I don't have any Dunlendings in the army so it would look odd using him. Also at our club we play that in duels you always use the unmodified Fight value so no ES dueling.

Your thoughts on Wargs are very thought provoking to me.

Thrydan is great, even without ES Duels he still recieves a +2 to his Dueling dice roll against Rohan!! He also has two might, and all that for the price of a Uruk-Hai captain. :chrome:

But fluff-wise i suppose its a no-no without dunlendings :(