PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions to build on a Lizardmen Battalion Box? Some help for a noob

PrimeMinistersQ&A
21-01-2010, 15:11
Hello gentlemen,

I finally took the leap from 40k to Fantasy and bought a Lizardmen box and codex since it seemed to be a great value giving you a lot of solid troops you can use.

Unfortunately I still know nothing of Fantasy tactics and army builds (or anything about WHFB apart from the very basic rules from reading the main book once) so I wanted to know what units should I get next if I'm aiming for a mainly Saurus heavy infantry army?

Are Skinks blocks with Kroxigors good? They look really nice. Can majority Skink armies as featured in the picture section of the Lizardmen codex really fleasible as line infantry blocks? Are Stagdons nessecary?

Most importantly I was wondering what HQ ahem* I mean Heroes choices you guys use. I think getting a Skink Priest (should I get 2) is a good call as well as the Eternity Warden. How good is Lord Kroak? (since the bloated Slann model seems well unattractive.)

Monachus
21-01-2010, 18:09
Hello gentlemen,

gentlemen?, in 'ere?, where?

I haven't played an awful lot with lizardmen but I personally would recommend having some skinks with kroxigors inamongst them, although many have different opinions on krox.

Stegadons aren't necessary but I rarely go to battle without at least one of them,
a skink priest and kroq gar (despite the price) are my fave hq choices

snowywlf
21-01-2010, 18:47
Skinks Cohorts with Kroxigor arent very good in my opinion. The primary issue you face is that the benefits of being in a Skink Cohort dont outweigh the dreadful amount of Combat Resolution the Skinks are going to give up when you are in combat. Kroxigor are great though, I recommend you just run a unit of Kroxigor instead of putting them inside Skink Cohorts. If you are strapped for Special slots, it is really nice to be able to add Kroxigor via the Skink Cohorts in your Core slots.

While Stegadons arent necessary, I highly recommend purchasing one. First, the kit is fantastic! Insane amounts of details, good options to mix and match, and you get a free Skink Priest. Second, Stegadons are really handy. Saurus Warriors are great at holding an enemy still and even bringing a bit of hurt. But they tend to get bogged down most of the time (usually called the Anvil unit), so you want something very 'killy' to flank charge the enemy unit and lay waste to them. This is the specialty of the Stegadon, it's an awesome Hammer. Again, you dont need it (Kroxigor and Cold One Riders can serve similar roles), but I recommend it. Also, the Engine of the Gods is something you really will want to try out, it serves several excellent purposes.

Lord Kroak is really best served in high point games because of his beastly cost. However, if you like his model better than the tradition slann, then simply use Kroak as a normal slann. Slann Mage-Priests are great Lords and very defining of the Lizardmen army. Some people claim the Slann Mage-Priest is the best "abilities per point" Lord in the game.

While you are expanding your army, I also very highly recommend picking up 3 Terradons. They serve a very important role of being the fastest thing in our army (march blocking) and war machine hunting. Play one game where your blocks of Saurus Warriors get squished by stone throwers and you sit there helplessly, and you'll suddenly desire a unit of these fellas.

Calamitous
21-01-2010, 18:49
I usually go with a slann, a priest with EotG(ancient steggy), skink chief with stegadon war spear and either a reg or ancient steggy depending on points, and a scar vet with varying loadout depending on who I'm playing. In my experience, blocks of skinks reinforced with kroxigors aren't all that effective. I far prefer skirmshing skinks with no kxoxigors at all. For you, I would definitely suggest getting a stegadon and either a scar vet on foot or on a cold one. Build the steggy as an EotG and play a few 1000 or 1250 point games just to get into the groove of things.

PrimeMinistersQ&A
22-01-2010, 08:37
How fleasible is a Skink Horde with very few Saurus?

Also are Saurus Calvary useful? It seems no one uses them.

Stumpy
22-01-2010, 08:45
Skink hordes are viable, I am extremely successful with no slann, saurus or steggies. However, skinkigor units (as I call them) are extremely unforgiving to use. You have to know what you're doing, so maybe stick with saurus for a start. Not sure what you get in the batallion, but you'll always need more skinks. You'll want 1-2 skirmisher units and 1 cohort unit of 10 for baiting/redirecting at 1000-1500 points even in a saurus heavy army.
Saurus cav are ok, but overpriced for what you get. On the other hand they're your only cav option.
Get some terradons. No lizardmen army I've ever seen has not had terradons.

Ultimate Life Form
22-01-2010, 08:46
First, in LM, NO choice is absolutely mandatory. That makes them so great, as every entry contributes something unique, though naturally a mixed army is more flexible and better overall. Personally, I rarely leave home without at least 1 Steg because they are my favorite unit. Like with GW, you pay premium prices for it, but unlike GW, you get genuine quality in return.

Skink hordes would be hit and run, and against tough opponents they'd have problems (especially high armor saves are their bane), but the Kroxes could help out.

Saurus Cavalry is one of the hardest hitting units in the list. The reason they're unpopular is because of their stupidity that makes them unpredictable and unreliable in an otherwise flawless army, and indeed my own COR have a tendency to fail their stupidity test just right before that all-important game deciding charge.

Tyranno1
22-01-2010, 08:47
How fleasible is a Skink Horde with very few Saurus?

Also are Saurus Calvary useful? It seems no one uses them.

Its quite feasable. Saurus arnt essential, although they are one of the best infantry units in the game.

I personally like the Saurus Cavelry. 2 attacks each, plus the mounts attack, and a 2+ armour save.

Hit a flank with them and watch your opponents unit die. Although they can be a bit expensive to field, suffer from stupidity, and backup from a Slann is highly recommended.

Doomseer
22-01-2010, 08:52
Skinks can be very good as support and can be made to work alongside stegadons and Salamanders in an all Skink force. They are very weak though and I would recommend taking the skirmishers with the blowpipes, they are very useful for their points.

I always take a unit of 5 Saurus Cavalry with Musician and Standard (usually with Warbanner) and add in a Scar Veteran. They have a really good charge and hit very hard particularly when assisted by Portent of Far.

A good Block of Saurus Warriors with Spears is always my first choice as they make a great anvil. A slann with Temple Guard 14-20 strong really establishes a very strong centre with the Warriors. Add an Engine of the Gods, another Ancient with Chief and War Spear and Salamanders and you are on your way to a very strong and balanced force.

Ultimate Life Form
22-01-2010, 08:53
A good Block of Saurus Warriors with Spears is always my first choice as they make a great anvil. A slann with Temple Guard 14-20 strong really establishes a very strong centre with the Warriors. Add an Engine of the Gods, another Ancient with Chief and War Spear and Salamanders and you are on your way to a very strong and balanced force.

What are we talking about, 5000 points? :p

ChaosVC
22-01-2010, 09:01
What are we talking about, 5000 points? :p

What happen to your avatar ULF?

Ultimate Life Form
22-01-2010, 09:06
What happen to your avatar ULF?

I decided it was time to separate my hobbies, go back to the roots and also have an avatar that shows which is my main army (and alas it doesn't happen to be Robot Masters, though I'd happily buy every single mini).

Like the Endtrail? Hand-made color swap! :p

ChaosVC
22-01-2010, 09:23
I decided it was time to separate my hobbies, go back to the roots and also have an avatar that shows which is my main army (and alas it doesn't happen to be Robot Masters, though I'd happily buy every single mini).

Like the Endtrail? Hand-made color swap! :p

For a moment I thought Robot Master was dinner. Rex here, he looks very happy!:p

DarkMark
22-01-2010, 12:30
I'd say, because its what I did:D, you'll want to get a steggy, box of skinks, terries, and if funds permit another battalion. Maybe grab a single kroxy to try out the mixed unit, many think 1 kroxy plus skinks is optimal anyways.

Buying the steggy will also give you a priest and a skink chief too, so is an excellent buy.:) A scar vet on a cold one is a solid hero until you get to big point games, and bring out the slann or carnie. So bling up one of the CoR you already have from the battalion and you're set.

Oldblood
22-01-2010, 15:03
I would recommend that you buy another box of skinks, because you can never have enough of those :D I would also get a stegadon because it is so awesome :) You won't regret it. Next I would buy a Slann and more Temple Guard so you can field the slann in a unit of 16-20 TG. Get another box of Saurus Warriors if you like infantry, a Saurus hero on Cold One to go with your cavalry, 3 terradons for warmachine/mage hunting, and salamanders/kroxigor so you will have some options to pick from. I wouldn't put the kroxigor in a skink unit by the way, the skinks just give your opponent easy combat res.

Rajhald
22-01-2010, 15:48
Started my Lizardmen army exactly the same way about 2 months ago. Picked up the Battalion, then grabbed 1 box of skinks, and 1 box of Saurus. At 2250, which is at what most standard fantasy games are played, you may find a limited amount of opponents who are wanting to face Characters.

Other than the skinks/saurus boxes you will need I find 1 stegadon to be enough. I typically run a slann, the temple guard in the battalion will be more than you will probably ever need.

Personally I love the Cold One Cav, run them with a scar-vet, the war drums, 20pt sword of +1 attack, or burning blade and then put the banner of +d6 charge movement just to surprise your opponent, tends to be a great unit for me.

I do run terradons, best thing you will get for warmachine hunting, and I find salamanders to be ESSENTIAL to my army, they always make their points back, and are fully capable of holding a flank against light cav, or even fragile blocks of troops.

Look around at the army lists on the forum, then proxy stuff with friends, find out what you like to play with and then do so.

bluemage
23-01-2010, 04:30
I'd recommend buying a second battalion. Add in a stagadon, a slann and you're at ~2000 points. But as some others have said/implied, there are few if any bad choices in the lizardmen book. So pick out what sounds like fun and give it a go.

GenerationTerrorist
24-01-2010, 00:41
I bought a second Battalion box. Sold the Cold Ones on ebay, and bought a pair of Stegadons and a Slaan.

So my army looks like:

- Slaan in a unit of 20 Temple Guard
- Skink Priest on Engine
- Feathered Cloak Skink Priest
- Skink Chief on Ancient Stegadon, with the Warspear

- 2 Blocks of 20 Saurus with Spears
- 3 units of 15 Skink Skirmishers

I'm hoping to add a few Terradons sooner rather than later, as my army is quite weak against warmachine-heavy opponents like Dwarves or Empire. A Salamander or two is also on my list of things to buy.

Never tried the Skink/Krox unit, and I fail to see the need to do so as my Saurus and Temple Guard are formidable enough infantry blocks - In any case, I like my Skinks to screen my blocks and generally be a pain in the **** with all 90-odd of their Poisoned Blowpipe attacks each turn! Putting them in a block, for me, ruins their best elements.

Rajhald
24-01-2010, 07:08
I would consider dropping the saurus to blocks of 18 6x3 with spears does quite well for me. I also run my slann in a unit of 14 or 16, lets me go 6x3 or 5x4 depending. May also want to break the skinks up into 4 units, just gives you more options, and a bit more flexible.

I have used the Krox/skink blocks and hated it, just free CR. Run the Krox by themselves.

And I can't say it enough, but salamanders are by far amazing.

Sidorio
24-01-2010, 11:07
I've just started lizzies myself and I bought myself a battalion, an extra box of skinks and a stegadon and quite comfortably have 1500pts. From the few games I have had I must say that those blocks of spear saurus will not move an inch. Last time I used them i hade a block of 20 take a charge from chaos knights and end up winning that combat. Terradons are your friends, very useful guys to have around. The Engine of the Gods was fatal to my oponent. Cold One Cavalry hit like a tonne of bricks and a quite fun with Huanchi's Blessed Totem.

Anyway have fun with your new army. :D

Tzilo
24-01-2010, 13:39
My Lizard army is almost purely Saurus, with 2 blocks of 24 Saurus with spears, a Slann with 20 Temple Guard, a Skink Priest on an Engine of the Gods, the Wardrum of Xahutec, and the Plaque of Tepok, and two units of 10 skink skirmishers. It's slow, but with a 4+ armor save and a 5+ ward save (from the engine), missile units are hard pressed against it and in close combat, the saurus tie up enemy units while the skink priest blasts them with the Engine. If you go Saurus you can't go wrong, the only thing you have to work around is movement, but for higher point games, fitting in CoC or Terradons work too.
I have no experience with stegadon armies so I can't help you there, but they sound nasty.

alphastealer
25-01-2010, 14:17
I picked up a real bargain from a friend:

1x new lizzies army book, 1x batallion, 2 extra cold ones, 2x steggies (with all options), 2x extra saurus blocks of 16 (one with chand weapons the other with spears), 1x oldblood, 1x salamander + crew, 1x slann. All this for around 100 USD.

I can already field 2250 points quite easily but I am looking for a little more versatility. I was thinking of adding the following:

1x batallion (mostly to get the extra 10 temple guard and skink unit)
2x salamanders
3x Terradons

I am also really tempted to go for the saurus on carnosaur as an alternate lord choice to the slann. For those that have used carnosaurs, are they better than the slann?

I usually run my slann and a skink priest with an engine and give the slann the discilpines that add a free power dice, make him immune to physical attacks and know all spells from one lore. The priest I give the tepok item to give him access to a third spell and upgrade him to level 2.

I could run 2 engines but I prefer the chief with ancient steggie with the spear (1+2D6).

I was thinking a oldblood on carnousaur with the 100pt power that makes cavalry stubborn, and put him with 2 blocks of 10 cold ones.

Cragspyder
25-01-2010, 14:35
As far as I have seen the real duds in the list are Chameleon Skinks, Snake Swarms and Razordons. Steer clear of those unless they really suit your mood.

I have yet to see or hear of anyone running Skink-only infantry blocks like they show in that picture in the book. You could be the first, I suppose, but they are worse then Goblins in CC (and cost more) so be prepared :)

If you are dead set on the idea then absolutely put Kroxigor in the units to boost the strength of the unit (and potentially characters!). The one good thing about those blocks is that they are the fastest in the game (with move 6). Otherwise, as folks are saying, your block units should be Saurus, with skirmishing skinks supporting them (I recommend one unit of Javelin Skinks and one with Blowpipes).

Absolutely have at least 1 Skink Priest, they are needed in lower points games for magic defense and synergize well with a Slann. I also recommend at least 1 Scar-Veteran (mounted if possible, though the foot model looks better IMO) as you can use him as an Oldblood if you want, and possibly another Scar-Veteran with the Battle Standard. Your fourth character is up to you (Skink Chief on Stegadon, Skink Chief on Terradon, Slann, another Skink Priest, Skink Priest with EOTG, another Scar-Veteran, Chakax, Oldblood on Carnosaur, etc)

If you are going to have a mainly Saurus block army (like I do!) then the Battle Standard is almost required. I would run two blocks with a Scar-Veteran in each one (one mounted with Sword of the Hornet, Enchanted Shield and the BSB, and the other with a Great Weapon) if I had the models for it. You also need hammers and diverters. 2 Skink units (at least!) and some Terradons (or a lone Salamander if you want to use them like that) are your sacrificial units, and any 2 of these are your hammers: Stegadon, 4 Kroxigor, 6 Cold One Cavalry with Full Command, Carnosaur, Skink Chief on Stegadon with Warspear, EOTG. I also swear by a unit of at least 2 Salamanders as they have a million and one uses, but thats up to you (depending on how many points you have left).