PDA

View Full Version : Is a giant a useful addition to a dwarf army?

Kirth
21-01-2010, 16:57
Can a giant prove useful in a dwarf army? I've been thinking about adding one to my army as a flank protector and to me seems like a possible contender as a rare choice over the Gyrocopter in the list I play.

Does anyone see value in including a giant in a dwarf army?

Urgat
21-01-2010, 17:01
Can they even take giants?

Malorian
21-01-2010, 17:27
Giants are best used with their stubborn.

A unit hits the giant (if terror is passed) then the giant holds and you counter charge.

Dwarfs don't really have the range for long range counter charging so I can't see the giant doing anything a regular block of warriors couldn't.

Now if you are wanting a fast flank protector and are looking at DoW then maybe some cav or ironguts would be nice.

In the end though just plain dwarfs are all you need to protect your castle formation's flank, and if you are really worried about it then put the hammerers there.

grumbaki
21-01-2010, 17:57
But if you convert a giant to look like a dwarf, then I'd say use it regardless. The image of a giant imitating his dwarven neighbors, and then taken as something of a mascot is a pretty cool idea. Plus, it would be a great center piece for your army!

Kirth
21-01-2010, 17:58
The idea is to use both Hammerers and a giant, rather than using 2 units of expendable 10 man warrior units to redirect.

This is specifically an idea for a army based around Dwarf Lords.

Red Metal
21-01-2010, 18:19
It just doesn't seem fluffy enough. Dwarves seem too proud to hire out to certain DoW or mercenary untis. Besides, they don't need big help, they have big guns.

Plus, as mentioned there's nothing really a Giant can do that a good block of Dwarves couldn't.

Gromdal
21-01-2010, 20:04
Dwarfs hate giants.

Giants raid their breweries, giants try and eat dwarfs, and giants fight with orcs n gobbos!!!

graymer
21-01-2010, 21:06
Yeah. I don't think Dwarfs could really benefit from a Giant. All of our troops and other options can do what it does more reliably.

snottlebocket
21-01-2010, 21:08
Dwarfs hate giants.

Giants raid their breweries, giants try and eat dwarfs, and giants fight with orcs n gobbos!!!

So don't use an actual giant. Build a huge steampowered avatar of Grungi!

Imagine a 50 ft tall mechanical ironbreaker striding down the battlefield, dwarfs cheering, slayers moaning in disappointment as it outpaces them towards the trolls. Red faced excited engineer standing up on his seat in the control pit to pop the hatch and wave his hankerchief at his buddies manning the cannons as he passes.

mistrmoon
21-01-2010, 22:28

Imagine a 50 ft tall mechanical ironbreaker striding down the battlefield, dwarfs cheering, slayers moaning in disappointment as it outpaces them towards the trolls. Red faced excited engineer standing up on his seat in the control pit to pop the hatch and wave his hankerchief at his buddies manning the cannons as he passes.

as a long time dwarf player i can honestly say: I think i just had a nerd-gasm reading that.

ShaggothLord
21-01-2010, 22:33

That sounds more like Chaos dwarfs to me, to be honest, but what do i know? I never ven knew Dwarfs could have Giants, that's good to know. And I must agree, I'd much rather have a 25 block of core warriors to protect a castle flank then a 5 wound large target.

Stronginthearm
21-01-2010, 23:57
as a long time dwarf player i can honestly say: I think i just had a nerd-gasm reading that.

Wow, For the first time I actually ROFLed thanks that just made my day, DWARFS BUILD THEIR OWN GIANTS WE DONT NEED TO EMPLOY THEM

snottlebocket
22-01-2010, 07:02
That sounds more like Chaos dwarfs to me, to be honest, but what do i know? I never ven knew Dwarfs could have Giants, that's good to know. And I must agree, I'd much rather have a 25 block of core warriors to protect a castle flank then a 5 wound large target.

The engineer corps itself is pretty hardcore on tradition, but there's never a shortage of young, excited engineers wanting to change the face of warfare with their new fangled inventions.

The spirit of Burlock Damminson lives on!

Gromdal
22-01-2010, 14:39
This thread is now full of win.

canadasteve
22-01-2010, 16:34
Just to clear this up you cant have a giant in a Dwarf army, unless its a Dogs of War unit, which I dont believe it is.

decker_cky
22-01-2010, 19:59
It is a dogs of war unit....but dwarfs can't take it.

N810
22-01-2010, 20:17
Who can take a regular giant then... I know Orcs can for sure... Don't know about the rest.

decker_cky
22-01-2010, 20:24
Orcs have it in armybook. Chaos giants are in beasts and warriors. Slave giants are in ogre kingdoms. DoW giants are in skaven, empire, vampire counts, dark elves, tomb kings and dogs of war can take dogs of war giants.

http://www.innercirclegamingclub.com/uploads/giant-rules.pdf

canadasteve
22-01-2010, 22:55
Yah thats what I meant its not a DoW choice for Dwarfs, otherwise I would have one :)

wizbix
24-01-2010, 09:08
I would enter a grudge in my book of grudges if some one wrote a rule suggesting Dwarfs could take a giant. I'd then dye my hair red and spend the rest of my life dedicated to slaying them. I cant think of anything more absurd than a Dwarf army incorporating a giant! :eyebrows:

snottlebocket
24-01-2010, 15:36
I would enter a grudge in my book of grudges if some one wrote a rule suggesting Dwarfs could take a giant. I'd then dye my hair red and spend the rest of my life dedicated to slaying them. I cant think of anything more absurd than a Dwarf army incorporating a giant! :eyebrows:

How about a giant elf? One that sings disparaging songs about the merits of gold.

wizbix
24-01-2010, 17:09
How about a giant elf? One that sings disparaging songs about the merits of gold.

May Grungni strike you down with one swing of his mighty hammer!