PDA

View Full Version : Starting Imperial Guard

Master Of Disaster
21-01-2010, 20:41
Well i'm going to start the imperial guard, but i'm not really sure where i want to start. i know i'm probably going to base my army off this joke commonly done in our GW. "In Soviet Cadia, you no hide behind tanks. Tanks hide behind you!" which is hordes of guardsmen (or conscripts for the "send in the next wave" rule) and leman russ. What's a good way to get 1500 points. I don't really have a budget right now.

elite_dannux
21-01-2010, 22:17
My standard list.

company command autocannon
2 platoon commands autocannon
2 units of 20 guardsmen with commissar, 3 powerweapons, 2 meltaguns or flamers
1-3 sentinels with either lascannons or multilasers
2 battletanks with lascannon
1 griffon

gives you alittle of everything. core infantry that can soak alot of damage and do good in cc.

battle tanks and griffon for major pain.

outflanking sentinels to harras vehicles and to deny enemy objectives.

conscipts is useless: compare the stats with combined squads of regular guardsmen.
better stats, special/heavy weapons/can actually perform in cc

conscripts although sounds fun and fluffy is just fail on all levels.

compare the point cost for conscipts without numbers upgrade to regular guardsmen.

sigur
21-01-2010, 22:27
Well i'm going to start the imperial guard, but i'm not really sure where i want to start. i know i'm probably going to base my army off this joke commonly done in our GW. "In Soviet Cadia, you no hide behind tanks. Tanks hide behind you!" which is hordes of guardsmen (or conscripts for the "send in the next wave" rule) and leman russ. What's a good way to get 1500 points. I don't really have a budget right now.

Get the codex, write your own list.

FashaTheDog
21-01-2010, 22:52
I run

Command Squad - Master of Ordnance, mortar, sometimes Fleet Officier
Platoon 1
Command - missile team, 2 grenade launchers
Squad - Commissar, melta
Squad - melta
Squad - melta
Platoon 2
Command- autocannon team, grenade launcher
Squad - las/plasma * 3
2-3 Cyclops
Marbo
Demolisher
3 regular Russ
3 Ogryns

Not exactly what you want but it is terribly effective. Sometimes I add an Exterminator taken from my Space Wolves. Overall the solid wall of armor 14 goes a long way to victory while the Ogryns and melta platoon keep me out of undesired assaults. The Cyclops are generally either represented by the actual model or the old human bombs with Commissar controllers (I only have one Techpriest) and while a FW unit, everyone thus far has enjoyed seeing the human bombs.

To tweak down from 1850, drop the Ogryns and Cyclops, lose Marbo and perhaps a Russ. You could trim back elsewhere for more infantry but be careful not to lose your anti-tank.

WinglessVT2
21-01-2010, 23:11
Go second-hand for your infantry, and pick up some of the new tank-kits.

It's a powerful army, so whatever mish-mash you end up with, it's bound to be potent on the field.

Chiron
21-01-2010, 23:34
Welcome to the infantry fold, I recently got back into 40k with infantry guard (I have a grand total of 2 Griffons and 1 Chimera at 1500 points) and they are great fun if a little tiring to carry around!

Some sample lists are in my painting log if you want a look

Bunnahabhain
22-01-2010, 00:59
Get the codex, write your own list.

Seconded.

A reasonably powerful, true to guard background force, and very soviet in theme is a horde of infantry, with a full selection of artillery to back it up- ie the tanks well behind the infantry.

Soviet military helicopters also compare well to valkyries and vendettas, in terms of carrying a squad, and a frankly ridiculous amount of guns and armour...

Master Of Disaster
22-01-2010, 18:47
1-3 sentinels with either lascannons or multilasers

What about plasma cannons? too costly?

conscipts is useless: compare the stats with combined squads of regular guardsmen.
better stats, special/heavy weapons/can actually perform in cc

conscripts although sounds fun and fluffy is just fail on all levels.

compare the point cost for conscipts without numbers upgrade to regular guardsmen.

I suppose you are right...maybee apocalypse is the only time where that would be okay.

tezza21
23-01-2010, 17:41
I have just started my IG army i bought the cadian battle force yarrick, 2 sentinals i made them armoured and fitted one with a autocannon and one with a plasma cannon, A Exicutioner, And a basalisk

lordbeefy
23-01-2010, 21:11
Good for you, IG are a great fun army to play, and superb modelling opportunities depending on your level of expertise/enthusiasm.

Firstly, the recommendation to get the codex is excellent advice. The IG can seem daunting to write a list to some with the way they are setup, but after a couple of reads, it makes great common sense.

Stick to your theme for an army, tanks and footsloggers are great. Decide what if anything else you will mix in with them in time, and plan accordingly.

Remember with tanks, 1 is not the minimum for an effective army, go for 2 minimum. Fill all the rest of your points with a command squad and footsloggers. Dont try to put too many unit types into an IG list at this level, they dont do it well. Mass your armor, heavy weapons and bodies and you will find it an easy army to get to grips with and very effective.

Try looking at dedicated IG websites for detailed advice from veteran IG gamers.

Try this one.....in addition to warseer of course........

http://z4.invisionfree.com/Boot_Camp/index.php?

Master Of Disaster
26-01-2010, 02:07
Good for you, IG are a great fun army to play, and superb modelling opportunities depending on your level of expertise/enthusiasm.

Firstly, the recommendation to get the codex is excellent advice. The IG can seem daunting to write a list to some with the way they are setup, but after a couple of reads, it makes great common sense.

Stick to your theme for an army, tanks and footsloggers are great. Decide what if anything else you will mix in with them in time, and plan accordingly.

Remember with tanks, 1 is not the minimum for an effective army, go for 2 minimum. Fill all the rest of your points with a command squad and footsloggers. Dont try to put too many unit types into an IG list at this level, they dont do it well. Mass your armor, heavy weapons and bodies and you will find it an easy army to get to grips with and very effective.

Try looking at dedicated IG websites for detailed advice from veteran IG gamers.

Try this one.....in addition to warseer of course........

http://z4.invisionfree.com/Boot_Camp/index.php?

thanks for all the help! i got the codex today and am flipping through it as we speak. Guardsmen units were a whole lot cheaper than i thought they would be.