PDA

View Full Version : Some More Lizardmen Questions!!!

Krom The Eternal
21-01-2010, 23:53
Is a Saurus Horde a Viable Option for a army?

Are Chameleon Skinks worth it?

Are the new Plastic Stegs Worth the Price?

Is the Temple Guard, Slann, Chakax Deathstar Worth it ?

Is a Skink Horde with kroxigors and terradon riders a viable tourney army?

Lastly How come people don't Usually Use the Saurus Cavalry?

Thanks in advance =)

Hrogoff the Destructor
22-01-2010, 00:06

I think so. I've had moderate success when I run my army that way (but I personally prefer skinks en mass!).

It depends really. Sometimes yes, other times no. Their main problem is they can be destroyed by magic so fast it's not even funny.

Yes! The kit is absolutely fantastic.

It's too many points even for me to consider. Plus, I refuse to use two heroes in the same unit (though if I ever did it would be with Chakax and a slann as I love the royal bodyguard idea).

I think it would be an excellent tarpit that never wins combat rather than a deathstar.

Couldn't say. I don't go to tournaments.

You'd be surprised how easy it is to fail a stupidity check on cold blooded ldr. 8. It doesn't help that mine seem to bounce off of everything they charge (though that's due to bad dice roles on my part).

Krom The Eternal
22-01-2010, 00:35
lol Yea!! I Really Like the Idea of a saurus Horde or a Skink horde. Just because i think they would look great. I would think the chameleon skinks could be used as assassins to take out enemy characters maybe pay for Oxyotl. If i bring a Saurus horde though i would have to bring Gor-rok he sounds amazing I have this awesome Image of him in my head. Maybe one unit of 3 terradons as ill need a warmachine hunter unit to keep my Saurus from bring crushed or gunned down. Whats the Range on the Skink blow pipes? And are Salamander Hunting packs worth it? I played my brother last night and he had Lizardmen and he got one breath weapon attack before my knights Errant Charged and destroyed him over all it seemed like a waste of points against Brets anyway as it only caused one wound.

Hrogoff the Destructor
22-01-2010, 02:52
Whats the Range on the Skink blow pipes?

12 inches.

And are Salamander Hunting packs worth it? I played my brother last night and he had Lizardmen and he got one breath weapon attack before my knights Errant Charged and destroyed him over all it seemed like a waste of points against Brets anyway as it only caused one wound.

I think they are fantastic against most armies, but not against Bretonnians. They are excellent against elves or expensive infantry units.

Assuming that partials are removed in 8th edition, they will become considerably better.

Salamanders are best used against 20mm based infantry units with low leadership (or if you are lucky, sometimes even against leadership 8 knights).

If you kill one model, the entire unit must make a panic check. That can be a big deal if the enemy unit is leadership 7 or 8. If you are real lucky they can make knights panic too, but it's an awfully risky gamble to attempt shooting them.

They are also excellent for flank charges. They have 3W, 2A of S5, are M6 and can ignore rank bonus's due to the "monsters and handlers special rule" (but you'll need at least 2 salamanders on the charge to ignore the enemies ranks). While the 2A of S5 sound impressive on paper, they generally don't do too much. They are mainly good for ignoring ranks bit. I would only charge the flank of an enemy unit if you are doing a combined charge from the front.

ShaggothLord
22-01-2010, 03:41

Thanks in advance =)

1. Never tried it, but I've heard good things about Saurus Spear MSU.

2. Only on occasion. BS 4 is really not worth it considering regular skinks are cheaper and also have poison.

3. Sounds viable except for the low mobility and against shooting.

3. No. No hard hitting, except if you also include Stegadons, but Skink/Kroxigor units are horrible, do not use them.

4. I personally do not use them because of stupidity and their price. 34 Points for 2+ save T4 Ws4 2 attacks may sound good, but with everything else that is more price efficient, I still don't deem them worth it. Plus the models are very ugly.

Krom The Eternal
22-01-2010, 03:46
Makes Sense =] I think Im really starting to like the Lizzies The more I read about them Their Saurus are like Chaos Warriors and they have light infantry flyers and shooting plus a awesome magic phase Im thinking their one of the most versatile armies

Necromancy Black
22-01-2010, 06:08
1. I've seen some people do the all saurus army well, but it'll need good support.

2. I've never bothered with charm skinks ever. Normal skinks are just so much cheaper and do their job perfectly.

3. Chakax himself is the problem, as he's just not worth his points. Any decent combat hero will hurt him and a combat Lord will simply kill him with ease, and both will most likely be a fair chunk cheaper.
Because a TG guard unit with a Slann is good enough. The unit is ItP and Stubborn. Give the Slann a BSB and you can reroll Ld8 and 3d6, dropping the highest.

4. I've seen some people do well with all skinks, but they always have at least 2 stegadons and one will always be an EotG. Take out the Stegs and it's just not competitive.

5. I always take Cold One Riders, but they always have 2 things: NO unit champion and a saurus character with them. The Saurus character give the unit the real punch it need. Then it's a matter of playing them carefully. I never take a unit larger then 5 and I always make sure they're the ones doing the charging.

Some games they've done crap, other games they've taken out half the army by themselves. Overall they average out well. Stupidity can be annoying but it's not a huge problem like people say.