PDA

View Full Version : Would you be outraged?

Cpt. Drill
22-01-2010, 00:53
If you turned up to a game of WotR to see an army of Hobbits representing an army of dwarves or elves?

Lord Malorne
22-01-2010, 00:57
No I would not.

Alathir
22-01-2010, 00:58
No, I would not.

Red Metal
22-01-2010, 01:50
If you turned up to a game of WotR to see an army of Hobbits representing an army of dwarves or elves?

So, someone would be using Hobbit minis to represent Dwarves/Elves? Seems expensive since four Hobbit Archer figures are $15, whereas 24 Wood Elves are only $27.25.

Personally, I would find it annoying. I find that proxies are cool, if they look somewhat like what they are supposed to represent. If someone tried to sell me on a Hobbit in casual/farming clothes was supposed to be an Elf warrior in full plate armor, I'd probably have a hard time with that.

Maybe if I knew they were trying to get into the game and that's all they had, but were working on getting the right figures (or figures that were closer to the right look); I could handle it.

Edit: I didn't vote, because techincally, I'm in the "maybe" category...

leadlair
22-01-2010, 02:25
I wouldn't like it all that much if it was just a pick up game with somebody I did not know. If it was someone I knew who was just trying something new I wouldn't have a problem. But it does tend to lessen the enjoyment of the game when I have to constantly ask what something is supposed to be.

22-01-2010, 04:51
I would not, could not, Sam I am.

lordmoon
22-01-2010, 05:24
well getting a game of wotr is tough enough, no need to be overly picky.

Sir_Lunchalot
22-01-2010, 07:21
Not outraged. Annoyed certainly, and it might be a while before I arranged a second game. Honestly, you couldn't possibly find infantry models that are further from what they are. Proxies are fine if it's an "I'm testing a new army before I spend hundreds of dollars to buy the minis" type deal, but otherwise they're irritating.

Sedge
22-01-2010, 10:31
I wouldn't be to bothered either way but hey its only a game.

Cpt. Drill
23-01-2010, 14:56
Most of the people I will be playing against are easy going gamers but as there are a fair few that I have never really played before at my local game shop I wanted to check what the random populus thought.

I am planning to get into WotR and own a fair amount of halflings from many ranges and would really like to use a Hobbit army without having those 10pts a unit hordes as I would need many many many more models (Man I really love those hairy midgets).

So I was thinking of making a dwarf army using hobbits as I could fairly easily make the units obvious what they are. Hobbits with hand weapons and shields for Warrior Kinbands, Hobbits with bows and cloaks for Ranger Kinbands and Using mainly the GW Hobbit sherrif models with their staves turned into axes would be my Khazad Gaurd. This would make all the units obviously different just from their equipment. I think thiswould all be very clear as the models weapons really tell what they are. I imagine some gamers would be annoyed by the fact that their... troll gets hacked apart by a few floppy haired midgets. Or a single hobbit slays a host of orcs.

I am selling myself more on the idea as I think Fatty Bolger as a kings champion would provide huge amounts of hilarity as he bowls into tougher units. Also I think I might use Paladin Took as Dain, that will be one badass hobbit.

DDogwood
24-01-2010, 04:32
I guess it would really depend on the circumstances. I can understand why you wouldn't want to buy a bazillion hobbit minis to have a WotR Hobbit army; on the other hand, I don't think that a really big army of hobbits really fits with the LotR stories, either. I'd much rather see hobbits as an allied contingent to an Arnor army.

But yeah, if you just liked the minis, I wouldn't have a problem with you using the dwarf rules for them.

smaul
25-01-2010, 17:31
I wouldnt LOVE it, but if someone is starting out and trying things I dont care, a year later and they are still "elves or whatever" with no units being built with the right figs, that would be a little lame.

leadlair
25-01-2010, 21:24
Why not just buy dwarves? They are in plastic.

Red Metal
26-01-2010, 05:54
Why not just buy dwarves? They are in plastic.

The OP stated that he already had alot of Hobbit/Halfling minis and that's the reason for fielding the army in that way.

Orcboy_Phil
26-01-2010, 08:52
Yes, but I wouldn't have a problem of you using the forgotten kingdom list to feild an army of hobbits in the first place, nor an army of ents for that matter.

Whitwort Stormbringer
26-01-2010, 18:37
I'm not familiar with WotR at all, really, but as far as I see it if there is an option to field an army of Hobbits, then you should do that instead.

To say I would be outraged over fighting a proxy army is putting it a little strongly, and I'd be totally fine with it if it's to test-run something that you're interested in. I also wouldn't be thrilled about playing someone who's using models for which there is an existing set of rules by a different set of rules (i.e. playing elves, for whom there are already rules, as uruk-hai). If you have a bunch of hobbits, and you like hobbits, then why not play a hobbit army? Don't play them as dwarfs just because you like the rules for dwarfs better. This is all assuming that you feasibly can field a hobbit army in WotR, of course. And again, my take on the matter. If the people you play with are OK with it, then who else cares?

scarletsquig
27-01-2010, 03:22
I would be filled with furious nerd rage at your desecration of Tolkien's works.

tezdal
27-01-2010, 07:43
I just feel outraged in general, but hey, why not just use forgotten kingdoms?

Cpt. Drill
27-01-2010, 10:06
I would be filled with furious nerd rage at your desecration of Tolkien's works.

Thats the kind of response I am after.

I dont want to make a forgotton kingdoms list because... Although I have alot of hobbits, to make 1000pts list of 10pts units I would need a ludicras amount. Maybe 200-300? I have about 50, with the addition of a few more characters and bits I could easily make a dwarf army out of them. Most people I have spoken too in person now say that they are just happy to have an opponent and they wouldnt care if I was using space marines. I really like hobbits and halflings in general. Infact anyone who is a little short. Having an army of them would be cool, I dont want a gondor force with their halfling buddies... or some rohan defending the shire or even treemen partying with the proudfoots. I want my Hobbit Mayor with his goons busting some orc hide out and about. Using the dwarf rules I could make a playable army without too much investment, if the game turns out to be great then I would probably end up buying another one. Probably an evil army. To be honest since I started thinking about Fatty Bolger as a 'Kings Champion' I have been sold and dont think I could have not concidered making this army.

I am not using the dwarf plastics as they are a little bland (and a little ugly) and GW metals are overpriced and I just feel so dirty buying too much from them at once. Like I gave up a fragment of my soul for trinkets. Oh man Vault wardens at 32 per unit.

Spider-pope
27-01-2010, 14:20

Personally i'd jump for joy that someone actually wanted a game of WotR, its kinda fizzled out locally.
But in general, as long as you make it clear to your opponent what each unit actually is then i wouldnt have a problem with it.

Whitwort Stormbringer
27-01-2010, 18:57
Well that makes a lot more sense, to me. I wouldn't be too happy at the prospect of buying up 150+ metal hobbits, let alone painting all of them, either.