PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know why Eldar Jetbikes are so expensive?

PrimeMinistersQ&A
22-01-2010, 07:16
As a Eldar player I've always bitten my tongue knowing Eldar after Imperial Guard, Eldar were the most expensive army to collect.

However honestly the cost of a Jetbike Army is bordering ridiculous. GW sells a regular Jetbike for $15 for ONE. A decent Jetbike Seer Council will need at least 6 bikes ($90) plus the Farseer and 5 Warlocks ( anywhere from $50 - $80) that you need to use extensive green-stuff and cutting to put on the bikes. Then add in a Guardian Jetbike and a Shining Spear squad of 5 bikes each and the cost is $150 alone.

Add in everything so the cost for 1 small Jetseer Council and 2 Guardian squads of 5x bikes is a shocking $300 for these alone. Even using cheaper online retailers the cheapest you could get a jetbike for is $12 and even then it'd still approach $270 just for these 16 bikes.

Is anyone else shocked? When I embarked on my Sam-Han Army I had no idea how ridiculously expensive it would be. Imagine an entire army of just jetbikes has to be over $600.

If people are talking about how you can create a decent army with just $150-$250 they cannot be talking about Eldar, because even non-Jetbike Armies of Wave Serpents are not cheap. (I'm gonna guess Space Marines are wayy cheaper :eyebrows:)

slayerofmen
22-01-2010, 07:25
well you have to consider that a you aren't playing a "straight up" eldar army that runs alot of common units (for lack of a better word) no dire avengers wraithlords etc. most themed armies have a horrible outlay ask pure deathwing gamers its not as bad but comes pretty close,

chaplian in termiator armour 33-40
model for belial 33-40
3X boxes of terminators 200
3 X landraiders 300 (all aussie prices)

so thats close to 600 dollars just for a roughly 1750pts army

PrimeMinistersQ&A
22-01-2010, 07:34
A straight up Eldar Army today has like 5 Wave Serpents and 2 Fire Prisms.

Ignoring troops (Dire Avengers are still $30 for 10) that's still around $35 for ONE Wave Serpent so you're looking at $220 - $250 for transports/tanks alone. Considering that a Jetbike Seer Council is almost mandatory in any tournament power gaming list I doubt anyone could make a top-tier Eldar army for under $500

Bunnahabhain
22-01-2010, 10:55
Combination of multiple factors....

US exchange rate
Old models, so they've been hit by more years of price increases
Bikes have always been expensive model, for everyone. Just happens that points-wise, eldar ones are quite cheap

By the way, Eldar are not the second most expensive army. The order is:

Forge world Resin Guard army- lets just say $1 (US) a point is a sensible estimate here...
Then normal Guard
Then, quite a long way down, everybody else....

WinglessVT2
22-01-2010, 13:24
You can save some money by going for shining spears over regular bike boxes.

Poseidal
22-01-2010, 13:32
In the UK, the Jetbikes is one of the things that actually hasn't had that many price increases. I seem to recall when I started (around 1995 or so) it was £4 or 5. Now it's £6, which considering inflation and all isn't all so bad.

Shrieker Jetbikes on the otherhand, are much more expensive.

I would suggest maybe importing from a UK supplier who ships internationally in this case.

marv335
22-01-2010, 13:35
£216 for an Ork Boy green tide, that's just the boys by the way.
All 180 of them.

Earthbeard
22-01-2010, 13:58
So the complaint boils down to essential building a niche army within a niche. Bikes have always been quite expensive money wise for points cost imho. Don't like it, don't buy them, it's not like you "have" to have them.

shabbadoo
22-01-2010, 14:21
And of the OP is not taking into account on-line sellers who usually chop 20% off of the price.

The OP could just sit on his hands until the next incarnation of Eldar hits, when there will be a lot less stuff to kit-bash for a Saim-Hann army. Also, the OP must be new to the GW hobby if they are complaining about something that has had the same price tag for as long as the Eldar Jetbike has. :p

razormasticator
22-01-2010, 14:27
Thats why when Apocalypse was released, I bought a windrider host. The Apocalypse boxes were the best deals around. And if you ended up with extras you could always just liquidate what you didnt need.

LonelyPath
22-01-2010, 14:31
It might be worth pointing out that at one point bikes and jetbikes wre £7 each in the UK, in September 08 when they had that rather nasty price increase across most of the range, bikes and jetbikes dropped in price by £1. Other things had a price drop also, but I forget what now.

pazshadow
22-01-2010, 15:40
Jetbikes are expensive, but this type of unit exists for lots of armies.

Bloodcrushers, one of the best daemon units, is $39.99 cdn per model! Thats 120 for 4 figs...

PrimeMinistersQ&A
22-01-2010, 17:01
Yes but we're talking about troop choices.

Guardian Jet bikes taken as troops are bloody bloody expensive in £.

Gen.Steiner
22-01-2010, 17:06
E-Bay is your friend. So is Wayland Games, and the Trading section of forums like this one... ;)

The Base
22-01-2010, 18:14
All bikes are expensive. Personally I also think it makes no sense at all.

I think GW tends to work on, or at least used to work on a system of pricing per spur. The bikes contain about 4 infantry models worth of plastic and therefore should cost about half the cost of an infantry box.

With Dark Eldar at least you can get bikes in box sets, however normal Eldar players are pretty much screw (along with any other army that uses bikes).

WinglessVT2
22-01-2010, 21:04
Again, buy the shining spears boxes instead of single jetbikes.
You get all the parts for three jetbikes, plus some metal pieces, and it costs less than three regular jetbikes.

You can also find the box discounted online.

SteelTitan
22-01-2010, 21:34
I don't think jetbikes are that bad...well, it is a troop choice but that doesn't mean you should necessarily compare them to other troop prices...they are bikes, therefore more 'special' than normal troops and GW logic states that everything that is not mundane is more expensive. =p

In Holland they are EUR 11,75 a piece...I'm now in New Zealand and they are just under EUR 10,- (20 NZ Dollars)...which I don't think is too bad.

Now, the price hike for shrieker jetbikes i dont get at all...that is just plain stupid. I'm pretty sure that any potential new jetbike box will just come with a cannon on the sprue.

Spiney Norman
22-01-2010, 21:44
Try buying necron jet-bikes, they're significantly more expensive than their Eldar counterparts.

The jetbike council is an utter joke to convert, they should be slapped for making it the best unit in the list and then not making a model (and not making anything that can easily converted either, I mean if the jet-bike autarch actually had had robes...).

Gen.Steiner
22-01-2010, 23:47
Kinda why my Saim-Han list is on pause.

Although the challenge is tempting, I'm fundamentally lazy and have WAY too many projects on the go anyway.

That said I am a fan of the current (2nd Edition!) jetbike model and the (2d Edition!) Vyper too.

borithan
23-01-2010, 00:27
well you have to consider that a you aren't playing a "straight up" eldar army that runs alot of common units (for lack of a better word) no dire avengers wraithlords etc. most themed armies have a horrible outlay ask pure deathwing gamers its not as bad but comes pretty close,I was under the impression that Deathwing armies could be (relatively) cheap, as you can tool up a Terminator squad to such an extent that you don't need that many of them in the first place, compensating for their expensive pound cost. Not saying it would be the most effective army.

Ignoring troops (Dire Avengers are still $30 for 10) that's still around $35 for ONE Wave Serpent so you're looking at $220 - $250 for transports/tanks alone.What about mechanised Guard armies? You can fit some stupid number of Chimeras in one troops slot... ok, it will build up in points, but its not just Eldar who can end up spending a lot on transports.

slayerofmen
23-01-2010, 09:17
@borithan, in the dark angels codex the average pts of a unit is 250pts anymore and it becomes unwieldy for points to shooty/stabby value

Gen.Steiner
23-01-2010, 10:05
As an occassional Deathwing player:

1 HQ (£10)
3 Terminator Squads (£75)
= ~1,000 points and £85

1 Jetbike Autarch (£18)
3 250pt Jetbike Squads - 11 bikes each (£198)
= ~1,000 points and £216!

Admittedly no Saim Han army would look like that, but it'll still be more expensive.

slayerofmen
23-01-2010, 13:25
@Gen.Steiner holy crap i hate you brits*, that's sooo cheap

disclaimer: slayerofmen doesn't actually hate brits

Kildash
23-01-2010, 13:50
Thats why when Apocalypse was released, I bought a windrider host. The Apocalypse boxes were the best deals around. And if you ended up with extras you could always just liquidate what you didnt need.

I bought two of those, best deal they ever had ;)

Orktavius
23-01-2010, 16:08
Ork bikes are $50 canadian for 3 so I know your pain

tezza21
23-01-2010, 16:52
well if you want a expencive army i made a iyanden wraith army in 4ed that was and still a very expencive choice for a army .

DarkMark
23-01-2010, 20:37
You can almost buy 4 jet bikes at £24 for the cost of 3 ork bikes at £23. Ork bikes shot up in price, so I guess things aren't that bad really.

Nephilim of Sin
23-01-2010, 22:59
Yes, it is $15 just for one. In '99, they were $12 for one, so they have always been expensive, but at least they haven't increased them like they have other things from that time ($15 increase in regiment boxsets). Although, Warseer has a specific thread for GW price rants, so you may see this one getting closed....

borithan
24-01-2010, 04:10
@borithan, in the dark angels codex the average pts of a unit is 250pts anymore and it becomes unwieldy for points to shooty/stabby valueOh, I wasn't saying it would be terribly effective, just it can be quite cheap £ wise if that's your priority.

that's sooo cheap£85 for 16 guys doesn't seem that cheap.

Gen.Steiner
24-01-2010, 08:04
£85 for 16 guys doesn't seem that cheap.

It's not in comparison to other companies, but in terms of a functioning army from GW you can't out-cheap the Deathwing. It costs less if you buy from, say, Wayland Games.

:)

Wintermute
24-01-2010, 09:51
We are restricting any and all comments about the pricing of Games Workshop products to one thread which can be found here (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209297).

Therefore I'm closing this thread.

Wintermute