PDA

View Full Version : Complaints about the lack of GW sales these days (split from

Killshot
24-01-2006, 12:24
I read a rumor on another forum that the WFB box will only cost $45 USD and will contain around 100 dwarf and goblin minis. I am not sure how much I trust this rumor, but that is what was said.

Rykion
30-01-2006, 17:53
I believe that GW said they priced BfM to compete in price against videogames in each market. That is the reason for the major price difference. It is one of the few GW US bargains outside of LotR stuff.

Bael
30-01-2006, 18:23
That is correct. The price of the game in each territory is equivalent to a new release videogame, hence the 40 price tag here. This is a GW company strategy that the head of GW US stated I think 18 months ago.

The Judge
30-01-2006, 19:24
Yeah, but games for the PS3 are said to be up to 90 - are we gonna get price increases?

Bingo the Fun Monkey
30-01-2006, 21:01
Yeah, but games for the PS3 are said to be up to 90 - are we gonna get price increases?

Does that really need to be answered?

EvC
30-01-2006, 23:06

I honestly do not believe that.

Jedi152
31-01-2006, 08:59
I believe that GW said they priced BfM to compete in price against videogames in each market. That is the reason for the major price difference. It is one of the few GW US bargains outside of LotR stuff.
With the problem that games are priced differently by different retailers. I've never paid 40 for a game, i'll go to play.com and get it for about 25-30. GW never reduces prices, and never has sales, and unlike computer games, you have to spend an additional 150+ to play a decent game.

Yeah, but games for the PS3 are said to be up to 90
Hahahahhahahahahahahahaaahhahhaaa.

No seriously. That isn't going to happen.

Vogon
02-02-2006, 17:21
Wasn't the lack of sales and promotions (like skullz) thing a condition of the New Line contract for the LotR license?

I'm sure I was told that at some point.

Chiron
02-02-2006, 22:21
GW used to have sales once a year, I'm betting its with the growth of ebay they've stopped those

EvC
03-02-2006, 00:06
Used to like 10 years ago. Other than occasional days when they'd do "buy two blisters get a third free" (I made sure to askthat this even applied to expensive models like ogres before I handed over my moneys), which happened many years ago, I've not seen a single proper promotion since. Instead they do "limited edition" models, though I guess if you're smart you could pick up a few and sell them on eBay in a couple of years...

Vogon
03-02-2006, 17:01
I remember long ago when they used to do Grand Opening sales for new stores.

Loads of BOGOF and 3 for 2 and so on, even on games and books. At the time I was living near Sheffield and they had a Grand Opening in when they moved the Sheffield store to bigger premices and then another one when they opened the Meadowhall Store a few months later.

It was great :)

Oh and there are very few "Limited Edition" miniatures out there, the Black Library ones, the Games Day ones and the ones in the army deals when a new army come out being the most common. The rest are "Special Edition" miniatures which are trotted out at special events to buy but don't have limited production runs like the others do.

Have fun

Vogon

EvC
03-02-2006, 18:07
Ahh thanks for the distinction!

Trunks
03-02-2006, 18:54
With the problem that games are priced differently by different retailers. I've never paid 40 for a game, i'll go to play.com and get it for about 25-30. GW never reduces prices, and never has sales, and unlike computer games, you have to spend an additional 150+ to play a decent game.

You aren't looking at this comparison completely correctly. You pay 40 for a game, or even your 25-30.

Too bad you can't play the game because you don't have a system to play it on.

So then you need to spend $150-300 to purchase a console (depending on the age of the console), and some extra on accessories like memory cards and controllers.

You have to look at the total investment required to play the video game versus the total for the GW game.

The the total investment to play the GW game will still cost a little more (didn't use to, back when regiment boxes were $20 US), but you will get alot of years of use out of what you buy. Seldom do you have a video game that you get years and years of use out of, steadily, while a GW army will get years and years of continuous use as long as you picked the right army for yourself.

branchwrath
04-02-2006, 07:57
Here in Canada, at the end of summerish, GW used to have auctions in store. They basically cleared out outdated models and other random bits and pieces. It was great, I had a friend who got the Beastman army box for $90 CD just because it was missing the limited edition standard bearer:D

burni
04-02-2006, 10:58
Didn't take long to degenerate into a GW price thread then :evilgrin:

Avian
04-02-2006, 12:44
I have split these posts off from the original thread in Fantasy Rumours as they were off topic in that thread and deserved on of their own.

Helicon_One
04-02-2006, 16:10

PS3 games will never sell at 90 each when XBox 360 games are on the shelf at half that.

Back when Street Fighter 2 was released on the SNES, it initially came out with a RRP of 60 or 65 - then quickly dropped to 40-45 as copies weren't selling.

Anyway, I'll stop hijacking the thread now, before it gets sent to the computer games forum...

Tim

Insane Psychopath
04-02-2006, 18:12
The Warhammer Fantasy box (new one due out) will have 160 Models & it will cost 40 & the best part is, there a Pony for the dwarf carrying some ruins, I **** you not. But it is 160 models for 40 + all the stuff to start the hobby.

IP

Adept
04-02-2006, 18:41
They don't have sales because it undercuts their independant retailers.

carmachu
05-02-2006, 13:30
That is correct. The price of the game in each territory is equivalent to a new release videogame, hence the 40 price tag here. This is a GW company strategy that the head of GW US stated I think 18 months ago.

Wont help. No matter how cheap your starter is, when you see the prices of the units later on you'll need, video games still win out.

I mean $50 for 5 cav models gets insane.

EvC
05-02-2006, 14:11
The Warhammer Fantasy box (new one due out) will have 160 Models & it will cost 40 & the best part is, there a Pony for the dwarf carrying some ruins, I **** you not. But it is 160 models for 40 + all the stuff to start the hobby.

IP

The BoM and MoM boxes both had about 40 models in them. Loss the 1 from the 160 models statement and I'll believe ;)

I'll be happy to eat my words come summer though :)

Steel_Legion
05-02-2006, 23:53
yeah, in the thread "fantasy starter set contents" it seems pretty certain there is between 60-100, so 160 is well too much me thinks

Killgore
08-02-2006, 17:43
I remember many years ago when i was 10 or 11 GW portsmouth had a sale!

My mummy took me over to this gw store on the boat and got talking to the manager there. He struck a deal with my mum for 50 i could get the 40k 2nd edition boxed set and spacehulk! saved me loads of and started my first 40k army.. dark angles

i wish gw stores did this type of thing nowadays 10 years on