PDA

View Full Version : What armies would you like to see in the new starter set?

AramilSairSianontel
23-01-2010, 11:48
So, and always to my opinion, one of the most interesting discusions, these days are of the new starter set that -always according to the rumors- is bound to be out in summer.
Leaving aside anything else (like what we would like ruleswise from a new edition) i wanted to see, and maybe help GW see, what their clients would wish from a new set.
So here is the poll.

AramilSairSianontel
23-01-2010, 12:23
Nobody? Come on guys just tell what you're thinkin!

Lord Malorne
23-01-2010, 12:33
Its been less than an hour, do not post asking for responses.

Lord Malorne

wizbix
23-01-2010, 12:35
Since not all th army combinations were available to choose from I opted for beatsmen vs empire. OnG vs. High Elves have been done before so I couldnt go for that.

AramilSairSianontel
23-01-2010, 12:49
Sorry couldn't post all army combinations, not even all armies. I just posted what i thought were the most likely according to rumors.
However if you would like something else or you think something else is coming and you like to see that instead vote for something else and tell us exactly what is it.

EmperorNorton
23-01-2010, 12:58
My guess for the new starter set has been Wood Elves vs Brets, but I guess that's not happening, although I'd buy that one by the dozen.
Lizardmen vs Daemons would be interesting, giving me a start on two armies I don't have yet.
High Elves vs Skaven got my vote though, as the core troops likely in the box would help the High Elf line, and Skaven would be great as you need loads of models.
A new army would be spectacular, of course, but I file that under 'too good to be true'.

Putty
23-01-2010, 13:25
uh... daemons vs empire.

lol

Razakel
23-01-2010, 13:28
Voted O&G and High Elves. Also Beastmen vs. Wood Elves.

I think those match up quite well.

Thurizdan
23-01-2010, 13:34
The old 4th edition box with the High Elves + Goblins was quite popular I believe. But I guess they wat something a little different so High Elves + Orcs maybe would be nice. We could finally get some new plastic Spearmen and perhaps Boarboyz.

Griefbringer
23-01-2010, 13:57
The old 4th edition box with the High Elves + Goblins was quite popular I believe.

Well, back in those days the rulebooks were not available separately.

Condottiere
23-01-2010, 14:24
Chaos and Empire.

Davo
23-01-2010, 14:31
Dark Elves and High Elves would be cool but I can't see them ignoring the Old World entirely. Bearing that in mind I would like Skaven and Empire but am pretty certain the greenskins will be there in some form. It'll probably be Orcs this time around against one of the "good" Old World armies.

UberBeast
23-01-2010, 15:49
High Elves vs Dark Elves

GenerationTerrorist
23-01-2010, 15:53
Lizards vs Daemons would be pretty sweet.

Schelle
23-01-2010, 15:56
I voted Lizardmen vs Daemons, but would love to see Chaos vs Empire.

Davo
23-01-2010, 16:00
High Elves vs Dark Elves

Another problem with this, no matter how much I personally would like it is that they want a bit more diversity between their armies in the box set. I can see where they are coming from with this as it is, after all primarily for new gamers. If we're gonna have an elf army in the starter set it needs a big wacky(ish) army to go with it I suppose.

That being the case I would like Elves and Skaven, although that isn't the fluffiest of match ups neither was Brets and Lizardmen.

TimLeeson
23-01-2010, 16:00
Chaos Dwarfs VS Tomb Kings.

..definitly in the "I can dream" line of thought there ;)

Boogersmcgee
23-01-2010, 16:06
Empire vs. Beastmen but only because it would most likely mean the empire army book be out on, or near release. Especially since Beastmen are probably being redone with the new rules in mind.

ghost of scubasteve
23-01-2010, 16:07
id like to see reggobbos/HEs with maybe a gobbo boltthrower and HE eagle for the required machine/monster?

Seville
23-01-2010, 16:21
Sorry, it wasn't in the poll options, but

Chaos vs. Empire or
Chaos vs. High Elves

would be cool and would well represent the game and the Warhammer world for new players, I think.

Lordsaradain
23-01-2010, 16:48
Empire + WoC

Daump
23-01-2010, 17:18
I voted for something else as I would like to see

WOC vs Empire

lord ugwart
23-01-2010, 18:00
Out of the choices listed I went for wood elves vs beastmen. My favourite combo would be orcs and goblins and either beasts or skaven. Seeing as they are all 'evil' armies the odds of it happening are slim to none.

AramilSairSianontel
23-01-2010, 18:23
I see a lot of ppl going for WOC VS Empire...maybe that reflects the something else option?
Apologies to all who wanted WOC VS Empire and had to vote for something else but i didn't see that coming...rumours didn't say anything about that..maybe that'll change now ;)
Chaos VS Empire sounds very warhammery anyway but still i'm still keeping my fingers crossed for HE VS O&G.. :)

Jind_Singh
23-01-2010, 18:42
greenies vs ummie gitz - the Empire

Drakcore Bloodtear
23-01-2010, 19:10
O&G vs Empire was my vote
It's fluffy and both armys are in dire need of some new plastic cavalry

AramilSairSianontel
23-01-2010, 19:11
New savage boar boyz!!!!!!!!!!
New boar boyz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
But HE could definately use some new archers, silver helms, spearmen....

Rosstifer
23-01-2010, 19:29
Well I voted empire vs beastmen, I love WOC but if they were in the starter set all the newbie kids would start spamming them in a sort of AOBR Complex, as in for 40k, when AOBR came out new Ork players appeared everywhere. Even I picked up a box to expand my Orks - sigh - Sorry for bringing up 40k guys.

tezdal
23-01-2010, 19:31
Orks vs Brets would work great for me.

FailSafe07
23-01-2010, 20:43
I voted O&G vs Empire. Especially if the release just happened to coincide with a nice shiny new O&G codex.

Leogun_91
23-01-2010, 21:40
Orcs and goblins vs Beastmen. Simply beacouse I want cheap models for armies I like.

outbreak
23-01-2010, 22:11
vampires vs tomb kings (with a new tk book)
high elfs vs dark elfs
skaven vs somebody (maybe empire/bretonian/lizards, not dwarfs their in current box)
chaos dwarfs vs dogs of war :P

Shadow_Steed
23-01-2010, 22:18
I would like to see Bretonnians vs Beastmen, a good match up with very much background and the classic civilized army vs the raw barbarians. With new book for Bretonnians.

Or, Lizardmen vs Daemons, a little more abstract for beginners perhaps but cool for the more experienced players. However, the starter sets is made for the beginners.

overlordofnobodies
23-01-2010, 23:47
Most like Beastmen vs Empire{Bretonnians works just as well}.
It will help my new Beastmen are and if they put Harpies in it. Then DE will be happy to.

Condottiere
23-01-2010, 23:51
Eventually, it will come down to two sets of inexpensive miniatures - which ones are the cheapest to manufacture?

Chain
24-01-2010, 01:29
Brettonia VS Tomb Kings - Would be new and both armies are still 6'th ed so good
Two new Armies or older that need a new army book - Always nice
Something Else - Surprises can be good

Myself not playing either Bretonia or Tomb, but sounds like an interesting setting and with 2 armies that could have a little more attention besides don't think undead have been in a starter set yet, Bret were in 5'th ed but still they would do fine as a counter to Tombs

The Red Scourge
24-01-2010, 08:58
Reikland Reavers vs Chaos All Stars..? :)

Cacodemon
24-01-2010, 09:20
Beastmen vs Wood Elves for me! They could call the starter ´Rumble in the Jungle´ for example. :p

xragg
24-01-2010, 11:02
Bret vs Tomb Kings

Toshiro
24-01-2010, 11:10
Brets vs TK or OK vs TK :)

orange mash
24-01-2010, 11:41
nah a army of doom riders vs a army of nagashes

worst sculps ever

but serously GW will pick 2 armys that won't be to hard to learn,armies that won't reely on one phase of the game,armies that won't be super overpowered and that wont atract players

so that means
no unded:( no deamons:) no wood elf's no ogres no bretonia no skaven:(

maby lizardmen maby dark elf's maby dwarfs

there for the armys that we will probably see
are
warriors of chaos
orcs and goblins
veary simple beastmen:)

empire
high elfs

AramilSairSianontel
24-01-2010, 13:30
So...
So far we have one reasonable winner, something else, because obviously the choises are many and couldn't contain all of them, and O&G VS Empire in the second place...it seems to me then that the most popular recipy is the one already tried....

O&G'sRule
24-01-2010, 13:48
It has to be two armies with a different style, you'll never see DE vs HE in it as beginner/intro games would show people such a limited side of the game. Orcs and goblins are a great army for it as they are affected by such a huge amount of the rules so show newcomers alot of the game, whereas daemons and undead ignore most of the standard fantasy rules, not great to learm with.
I wouldn't be surprised if it was lizardmen and skaven personally

EldarBishop
24-01-2010, 14:05
I'd like to see at least one army (that's still supported :D) that was never in the main rules release...

So, at least one of the following:
Beastmen
Wood Elves
Tomb Kings
Ogre Kingdoms

NOT these, I know they've never been done, but they are too new/broken :p:
Warriors of Chaos
Dark Elves
Vampire Counts
Daemons
Skaven

Pretty sure these have all been done (just to make sure I have the complete list) at some point or another:
Empire
O&G
High Elves
Lizardmen
Bretonnia
Dwarves

Amornar
24-01-2010, 20:29
HE v DE would be a great opportunity for GW to make a lot of money with new core troops, something both sides were looking for when their armies were redone.

However neither of these armies are considered "beginner" armies and therefore it will prob just be empire v. orcs...........again :(

deggaroth
24-01-2010, 20:51
It has to be two armies with a different style, you'll never see DE vs HE in it as beginner/intro games would show people such a limited side of the game. Orcs and goblins are a great army for it as they are affected by such a huge amount of the rules so show newcomers alot of the game, whereas daemons and undead ignore most of the standard fantasy rules, not great to learm with.

Though your army makes logical sense, I don't think that GW will take it into consideration when picking a starter set. The reason for this is that dwarves are in the current starter set, and a properly played dwarf army basically ignores the movement phase of the game.

zak
24-01-2010, 21:12
I can see Empire and Orcs in the main set. They are both in need of new cavalry models and both are simple armies for the newbies.

Mr. Gobbo
24-01-2010, 23:34
I would really want either Dwarfs vs Chaos Dwarfs or Ogre Kingdoms vs Chaos Dwarfs.

For both CD armies there would probably be lots of hobgoblins to avoid having both sides be elite.

Keystone
25-01-2010, 00:46
id like Beastmen VS Empire, as those are the armies im most curious about and im greedy :)

Condottiere
25-01-2010, 01:04
I did mention earlier Empire and Chaos, but it might very likely devolve down to Beasts, since it would contrast a more fluid attack against the disciplined blocks of Empire troops.

TheDarkDuke
25-01-2010, 01:21
The last 3 starter sets (WFB and 40K) have been based off of a "history battle" and named as such within their fluff for the system. I don't see them changing that at this point as it seems to have worked very well for them. All 3 of these box sets can be defined as "arch rivals" a more or less "good guys vs bad guys". All three sets have included armies released as relatively new armies or just about to come out armies. All three have ensured sales based off of well established armies with a long proven track record of sales and have not seen drastic changing to the army in general. I don't see them going against this, so I think we can pretty much cut the list down quite extensively. So who makes the first round of cuts based off of well established armies with a proven sales record.

Empire
Orc and Goblins
Dwarf
Warriors of Chaos
High Elf

I think we can pretty much pencil at least one of the above into the next box set. So If we take the above 5, go through and list all the major fluff battles. For the most part out of the 5 armies above and their known fluff battles that are more then a one sentence mention on a army book timeline page we should be able to cut out some armies imo such as:

Ogre Kingdoms
Tomb Kings
Lizardmen
Wood Elf

I personally think it will most likely be a Empire vs Orc box set again. I can't say there is any combination that is a must for me, as the armies I have and or are planning/building are fairly specific and I know for example my changing Skaven army from heavy Pestilence from last edition to the ability to fully field Pestilence, a Skaven portion of a starter set isn't going to be much help model wise should Skaven get the nod.

soots
25-01-2010, 05:19
Empire vs Undead (Nagash/Necromancy)
Bretonnia vs Tomb Kings would be nice to finish off old lists.

Necromancy Black
25-01-2010, 07:03
Dark Elfs vs Lizardmen.

Both solid armies with a range of options and play styles.

AramilSairSianontel
25-01-2010, 08:54
I don't know maybe i wanted too much to see Orcs get new plastic boar boyz...and maybe savage boyz also plastic...the same with HE archers.
I understand how everyone is thinking when they say that they need two archetypal good and evil forces battling against each other...
however i don't understand how the ppl who support chaos dwarves vs dwarves think...seriously now should they rename it from warhammer fantasy battles to "warhammer the game of battling dwarves"
What i think is that most ppl would be happy to see is a set with some NEW miniatures, even for existing armies...

azhagmorglum
25-01-2010, 12:06
Anything other than empire, O&G or dwarves would be acceptable, but if GW gets lazy they could do empire VS orcs again just by recutting sprues etc... of course you'll get more minis than previously (like black reach), but it'll be the same you've already seen again and again plus something new (cross fingers).

I do personally hope for something like skaven VS Bretts or lizardmen

loveless
25-01-2010, 14:56
Out of the options, Wood Elves v. Beastmen would be the most interesting to me.

I think Skaven and Dwarfs would be an interesting set myself. Seems like it would be a nice mix of ranged, elite infantry, and SCR. No cavalry in that set though, which would be problematic.

it's coming this way!
25-01-2010, 15:03
What I'd *like* to see? Ogre Kingdoms vs Chaos Dwarfs.

What I *think* we'll see? Based on the rumors about O&G and Empire releases right around the release of 8th, I'd say Orcs vs Empire

snurl
26-01-2010, 06:15
How about Fimir vs the Moot?

ChaosVC
26-01-2010, 06:17
Chaos vs Empire because I need cheap and new models from these two range.

Hrogoff the Destructor
26-01-2010, 07:29
As boring as it sounds, I'd have to go with Orcs and Goblins vs. Empire.

mrtn
26-01-2010, 13:38
Empire
Orc and Goblins
Dwarf
Warriors of Chaos
High Elf

I think we can pretty much pencil at least one of the above into the next box set. So If we take the above 5, go through and list all the major fluff battles.
No one had heard about Skull Pass before that box. They don't need to take a major fluff battle, they just have to invent a minor skirmish no one's ever heard about.

Personally I'd like to see skaven or beastmen in the box, I'm tired of the greenskins being spoiled all the time. :p

Rolo Ramone
26-01-2010, 15:10
Bretonnia vs Tomb Kings would be amazing.

Max_Killfactor
26-01-2010, 16:21
Fishmen vs Dark Elves, seriously.

But, I know that's a long shot... anything with Skaven would make me happy. Dark Elves too because it probably means new spearmen.

The SkaerKrow
26-01-2010, 16:58
My vote is for Empire vs. Warriors of Chaos. It's an iconic match-up that we haven't seen before.

On that note, enough with the Greenskins. They're a terrible army that has managed to show up in nearly every starter set.

Tarian
26-01-2010, 17:29
I voted for HE v. Skaven. My vote may have something to do with those two being my two armies. What? :angel:

Desert Rain
26-01-2010, 21:33
I voted for High Elves vs. Skaven for several reasons. They are sort of each others antitheses the orderly, bright, elite and honourable high elves against the hordey, gritty, sneaky skaven.

Anything with high elves in it would make me happy though.

Malorian
26-01-2010, 22:42
I think it would be great to have one that was orcs vs goblins ;)

But more seriously it would be best if they were two armies I wanted to start sooo skaven vs tomb kings! :D

Urgat
26-01-2010, 22:50
I think it would be great to have one that was orcs vs goblins ;)

Well actually, boring starter set aside (well, boring for the people other than me :p), that'd actually be cool, because that'd mean that they'd be made to be able to work on their own :)

But more seriously it would be best if they were two armies I wanted to start sooo skaven vs tomb kings! :D
I suppose that in the end everybody's opinions all boil down to similar reasons :)

jake Jeckel
27-01-2010, 00:53
Bretonnians vs Lizardmen, basically because that's the first starter set I remember. :)

tezdal
27-01-2010, 02:02
I'd just hope they have O&G or Skaven, just to save those horde players a little money, I feel your pain.

Panzer MkIV
27-01-2010, 02:28
Since the new O&G book is rumoured to come out in January 2011 I vote for Empire and O&G