PDA

View Full Version : Skeleton 'Hormagaunts'

Corpse
24-01-2010, 03:34
Not a modeling question or rules question.

I use a IG (chaos) skeleton army, mostly for the chance to run a skeleton army in 40k. The time it took to convert it all more than made up for the extra bodies I got per box of skele's.

So I ask, since now that I have an ideal rules set in an army to make a skeleton themed force; allow me to use it in 40k?

Undead rising from the ground, undead giant(trygon) followed by undead tomb coffins (mycetic spores) rising from underneath the ground. I would like to go with it.

Though, what do you fellas think of it. I am always skeptical to the vast number of skeletons I get for the price when I am judged or deemed 'worthy' to play against an opponent that looks at it for the first time.

Power gamer environment, people often take ideas when people ask if it's ok. So I can't really ask their opinion if they would allow it. (My scorpion SM bike army idea was stolen not too long ago, using sprue spare frames as the bike legs). Thankfully he didn't do it as well as I would have tried....

Skeletons = Hormagaunts, no upgrades.
Bone Giant = Trygon, or maybe carnifex by underground 'spore'.
Undead launchers = Biovores.

Among other ideas. I really don't want to collect more tyranids in the form of the new models, looks really out of place with my 2nd edition tyrants and old space hulk genestealers.

IcedAnimals
24-01-2010, 03:44
Seems like a lot of memorizing for your opponent but I suppose it would be the same amount required if they had never played nids before. If you did decent conversions instead of just fielding models from another army and doing "counts as" I wouldn't mind playing you.

Corpse
24-01-2010, 03:57
I make an effort to write in pure white on the sides of the bases what the model is. Since my models normally face the opponent, the front side displays the name of the unit the model counts as.

It was annoying to paint "Guardsman" on the base of every skeleton...

CushionRide
24-01-2010, 05:08
does your army cause fear? lol you need a screaming skull basalisk ^_^

ehlijen
24-01-2010, 05:21
I just don't see skelatons as hormagaunts. The first are supposed to be the slow, unstoppable death come to haunt the living, the other is a killer grasshopper bounding and leaping to eat you.

Clang
24-01-2010, 05:37
i don't hate the idea of 'skelenids' at all, but i can see some problems - e.g. skeletons have a very different upright pose compared to the more horizontal gants/gaunts, which could cause LOS arguments. Hmm, I suppose the skellies could be reposed to run on all fours?

the classy way to do this theme would be to convert all your skellies to have 6 limbs (either an extra pair of legs or srms, depending on the model), but that would be a whole lot of work...

The Ginger Ninja
24-01-2010, 07:05
Wow, nice, have you get any photos of the skeleton guardsmen on the net?
I would be willing to let you use the skeleton/tyranids as long as they were clearly identifiable (I don't know much about the nid models, so it wouldn't matter that much)

Tethylis
24-01-2010, 09:24
Although I would agree to play against any "counts as" skeleton 40k army, surely Necrons would have to be the most obvious choice to represent skeletons on the 40k battlefield :chrome::skull::chrome:

Eldoriath
24-01-2010, 10:51
Good idea that, to write what it counts as on the base. I might have to steal it once I come around doing my LatD using the ork-codex... Or perhaps the nids are better for that now? :evilgrin:

Just kiddin mate, but the LatD is a project that I have been trying to properly begin with for some years now, but another army always seem to have gotten in between...

Caribou_powa
24-01-2010, 11:05
Amazing idea

You can do the tervigon with a corpse cart from the vampire count army.

Chem-Dog
24-01-2010, 11:58
Do Hormies still count as "beasts" (I don't remember if they do and I'm at work without the codex)? If so perhaps use skelly horsemen for them (bit more costly I know)?

I prefer the Warmaster depiction of the Bone Giant to the Warhammer "Bones of Giant" version, a massive construct of many many many bones from many many creatures, it might be a bit of a job to do and require a mighty bitz box raid but it would be worth it for a centrepiece model, you can buy the huge oval base that the Valkyrie comes on separately so plonk him on that and presto!

Corpse
24-01-2010, 15:44
Horms lost beast, they are infantry with a slightly enhanced fleet. Still max fleet at 6".

Gutzmek
24-01-2010, 16:43
This.Would.Be.Awesome!:cool:

I would play against it. I would have zombie ogryn as basic warriors, though.

Kadaan
24-01-2010, 16:55
I love the idea. Go for it!

You could use these Tomb Kings Ushabti as Fexes and the Bone Giant as a Trygon.

noneedforaname
24-01-2010, 19:58
As long as you make clear to your opponent what everything is before you start and you answer lots of in game questions with patience I cant see anyone complaining

chaos0xomega
24-01-2010, 20:49
...why not just play necrons? Surely you could represent all this through the necron rules more easily than tyranids?

Deftoneus
24-01-2010, 21:16
I would play against it.

Sounds cool.

Khorneguy
24-01-2010, 21:23
...why not just play necrons? Surely you could represent all this through the necron rules more easily than tyranids?

Because he wants to use the 'nid codex?

Because he wants to build bigger constructs?

Because he wants them rising from the ground, which can only be done like he wants with the 'nid codex

Because he wants a more close combat orientated army rather shooty?

Four very valid reasons that i can see

madd0ct0r
25-01-2010, 02:19
Because the tough, shooty, metallic necrons don't actually match the risen dead stereotype very well?

It depends how much effort Corpse puts into 40k'ing it.

a potential base for the tervigon:
http://privateerpress.com/iron-kingdoms/miniatures/boneswarm

WinglessVT2
25-01-2010, 02:33
"Because the tough, shooty, metallic necrons don't actually match the risen dead stereotype very well?"

And ultra-fast locust do? The ultra-fast locust, that's part of an army that has flesh as its concept?

Corpse
25-01-2010, 05:00
Ok so I have a better grasp of what's to be what.

Since Hormagaunts no longer get a 12" assault, and a more reliable difficult terrain dice move, I say it fits skeletons. Toughness 3 for requiring to hit vital spots only yo take it down, spine/shoulders/hips or require hitting a certain spot to get to a vital spot.

"The reason the skeletons run away", I guess they move to the nearest bone controller when theirs dies? I still have a hard time mentioning why my bone guardsmen run away. "They got bored and just left".

Couldn't make them orks, too tough for bone bodies. Can't make them grots, too weak to do anything, and too tall for the cover saves for such cheap models granting things behind them.

Necrons are undead walking, but metal. Even if they were wraithbone, they are still thin.

I had issues trying to justify it all but now I got Hormagaunts to toy with and even temporary fearlessness and no 12" assault to justify it.

So, tyranid army 'hormagaunt' heavy. Tomb Kings Scorpion as Lictors, since while thinking about it, the stinger seems like a flesh hook sort of deal that sprays and stabs. Rending claws, and popping out of nowhere I think like that movie Jason and the Argonaughts. Except from underground.

I will probably be using two tyrants for certain, swormlords since "boneswords" is a hard thing to pass up as a skeleton army. Guards for the tyrants as well, since I won't be using warriors. Thinking of making a swarm of extra bone bits just to make the 'tyrant'. I may just bypass the bone giant idea entirely and go swarm.

Now to arm the skeletons. Shields and multiple skeleton arms on each body to represent all the attacks. Shield+Spear arms and then use the bow arms and make melee weapons to put in place of the bow.