PDA

View Full Version : Ghouls vs Skellies

Paraelix
26-01-2010, 15:53
Have looked through the various threads on VCs, but can't find any conclusive weigh ups between the abilities of Ghouls vs Skeletons. Can I get some opinions?

Dionide
26-01-2010, 15:56
Personally I prefer the Skeletons. I like the way the models look more. (Especially the new models), and while the poison attacks make the ghouls a lot more likely to hit, I'm just not convinced.

Kayosiv
26-01-2010, 15:58
Here's the skinny. Ghouls are better every time in every situation that exists. People are gonna come in here and be all "oh no, skeletons with a banner and musician, oh oh magical banners that aren't any good, oh and the armors."

No, ghouls. They are better than triple as potent offensively, and are nearly as good defensibly. Same point cost.

Yes you could spend points giving skeletons spears, command, and a magic banner, or you could get ghouls, which are still better under most circumstances.

Skeletons are more resistant to low strength shooting (that isn't armor piercing) and can get +1 combat resolution through a banner and a musician that will win them ties. That is their entire list of advantages.

Ghouls have higher weaponskill, toughness 4 to offset their lack of armor. Double the attacks, and have poison. The choice is clear.

Personally I prefer the Skeletons. I like the way the models look more.

This is about the only argument anyone can make. Skeletons are more "fluffy" to a Vampire Counts list and have great models too.

E-Dog
26-01-2010, 16:12
I perfer gouls, T4, 2 posion attacks, throw in goulkin (free march before game) they're a must have for me. I used to take skellies w/ light ar., shield and hand wp. for the decent save in combat, but they never did much besides tie up units...meh. With gouls you can actually win combats, and the lack of standard can be offset by adding a vamp with walkin' death(+1 combat res).

Hope this helps
~E~

Kayosiv
26-01-2010, 16:15
the lack of standard can be offset by adding a vamp with walkin' death(+1 combat res).

You could just do that to a unit of skeletons and get the same benefit though. What's nice about ghouls is they can actually win a combat without a vampire.

Jack Shrapnel
26-01-2010, 16:17
I only use ghouls now for my VC army... find them actually able to make kills, and losing +1 CR for the banner is rarely ever missed (as I can use the points for yet more ghouls!) The ghouls make up for the banner quite easily with kills (especially with poison) and their higher toughness and higher WS normally means less wounds, even with no AS (I don't make those armor saves normally anways)

E-Dog
26-01-2010, 16:34
You could just do that to a unit of skeletons and get the same benefit though. What's nice about ghouls is they can actually win a combat without a vampire.

Yes but you can buy a standard for skellies, which you can not do for gouls, so why would you? Just my thoughts, no need to try and discredit them........

The_Bureaucrat
26-01-2010, 18:58
Ghouls aren't always better (although in the majority of cases they are)
-They are considerable worse vs posion attacks
-They have a larger variance in combat res.
-Againts targets that will clear the front rank you are better off with the +1 from the banner
-Lack of musican can also hurt close combats
-Against targets ghouls cannot consistently wound (high save units knights, ironbreakers) you would be better off with the +1CR.

That said ghouls are better off the majority of the time.

Malorian
26-01-2010, 19:56
Ghouls are the way to go if you ask me but they are close enough that if you want skeletons just because you like the models better that it won't really hurt you.

Paraelix
26-01-2010, 22:04
I just needed convincing that Ghouls were decent. I was tempted by the Magic banner allowance, but I wanted to do a Strigoi-type "Ghoul King" army :D Cheers lads