PDA

View Full Version : Ungor short bows any use?

grimkeeper
26-01-2010, 21:24
Ok, so its great to finally get some missile troops in a Chaos army ,if only for the variety ,but ive never seen what use a short s3 bow in any army was.
So what is the best way to make it a worth while choice?

decker_cky
26-01-2010, 21:27
30 pt units of core skirmishers. Take 2-3 of them. They're incredibly frustrating to play against.

The short bows will almost always be hitting on 5's or 6's, but take those pot shots anyways since beasts don't do much in the shooting phase.

So basically...the bows in reality are useless but fun. The unit is one of the best in the army.

enygma7
26-01-2010, 21:28
A cheap skirmishing core unit is always handy... use them for fleedirecting enemy units and doing what flack does. Use the missile fire to target enemy flack - especially dogs/light cavalry, or if none presents itself pick off the odd model from each enemy unit to reduce their rank bonus for later combats.

MasterSparks
26-01-2010, 21:46
I think they'll be pretty great to have around in an army that otherwise lacks in the shooting phase (how I wish I could have a bunch of Skeleton Archers or something with my VC), being able to atleast damage things such as Dark Riders and other harrying flankers that would otherwise prove troublesome to get rid of. :)

LaurentleBete
26-01-2010, 21:48
Cheap + Skirmish + Core.

The shortbows aren't the reason you take them.

Need I say more?

puppetmaster24
26-01-2010, 21:54
take 4 units of them (not a massive points sink) and outflank 2 of them (particually if your opponent has warmachines).
It's hilarious!

Urgat
26-01-2010, 22:00
Ok, so its great to finally get some missile troops in a Chaos army ,if only for the variety ,but ive never seen what use a short s3 bow in any army was.
So what is the best way to make it a worth while choice?

My wolf riders always run with short bows, and I've never felt those were wsted points, they've killed countless things with those (including a chaos lord once :evilgrin: ), and they make facing off other light cavalry much easier :)
Short bows also come in handy to thin out T3 stuff, those elves don't like them much. Sure it's only a kill here and there, but those kills do make a difference (most often, a couple kills equal one less rank bonus in those elf armies). I'd love to have a unit of forest goblin skirmishers with short bows, really.

grimkeeper
26-01-2010, 22:04
Thanks for the replies,looks like im going to have to have a tactical rethink :)

Makaber
27-01-2010, 00:56
Allright, so picture this.

You're not going to kill a unit with the bows, or anything like that. But if your opponent has a unit of infantry, say a block of 20, and you kill just one of those, you're removing 1 point of static Combat Resolution, right there. That's "Warbanner" significant.

Time of Madness
27-01-2010, 00:59
Wait to you folks see my all ungor army! Ever seen 20 units ambush?
Time of Madness

ebolatheripe
27-01-2010, 07:25
Wait to you folks see my all ungor army! Ever seen 20 units ambush?
Time of Madness

Please let us know how that army works out... that sound awsome:evilgrin:

Edit
29-01-2010, 04:45
i was just thinking the same, cover the board edges with cheap troops, forcing him to go out of the way to take out crappy little units not worth anything (and getting shot)
or clump up in the middle for your one mean unit to grind into (and get shot as well)

of course that's like 500 dollars of ungor....have fun

snottlebocket
29-01-2010, 15:33
Shortbows are useless but even weak crudd is usefull in large amounts. 50 shortbows shooting at large creatures, small units like fast cav, warmachines etc. is going to annoy.

Malorian
29-01-2010, 15:55
Cheap throw-away units that can also shoot is never a bad thing.