PDA

View Full Version : Starting Necrons: a bad idea?

Karham
28-01-2010, 12:37
Hi all,

i'm thinking of starting a Necron Army (since i love them and they're veri cheap :D) but i don't know if it's a good idea, because it seems that they're going to be released in tihs year's summer...
But i heard also voices that tell they're going to be one of the last codex to be redone...
I'm thinking of starting with the battleforce since it gives me a solid base to build up the army and, more important, they're plastic minis that presumably will not be resculpted...

What do you think about that? Do you think i should wait until summer to have a confirmation of the summer releases?

Souleater
28-01-2010, 12:40
If you have some models, proxy a few games.

I enjoy playing my Necron and you can do some nice schemes on them.

Some people do find them to play against or with so give them a few trial runs before you commit.

Karham
28-01-2010, 12:43
If you have some models, proxy a few games.

Yeah, i can but the problem isn't in the change of rules or play style :) Is in the models change, because i don't want to start an army and then discover that half of the models are resculpted and so i should replace them (because i love new models over old models in the 99% of the cases)

Souleater
28-01-2010, 12:47
Well, you can make Flayed Ones, Immortals, Lords out of Plastic Warriors with a bit of conversion.

Things like Destroyers would be a bit trickier but if you are patient you can pick them up on ebay at a fairly reasonable price.

I haven't heard any new on them getting a new dex. In the rumour threads they seem to be a fair way off (possibly after Dark Eldar, who are after the entropic heat death of the Universe.)

Thud
28-01-2010, 12:49
Yeah, i can but the problem isn't in the change of rules or play style :) Is in the models change, because i don't want to start an army and then discover that half of the models are resculpted and so i should replace them (because i love new models over old models in the 99% of the cases)

Then it depends a little.

Necrons are unlikely to get an update in 2010, but quite likely to get one in 2011. So would that give you too little playing time with the current range?

Also, I doubt there will be new Necron Warriors or a new Monolith model, so considering how the current codex is laid out you should be able to keep using most of your old models without pining over the new ones when the update finally hits.

Deftoneus
28-01-2010, 13:02
If you are only hesitant to start Necrons based on the time frame of a new release, I say you have no need to be worried. Even if a new update comes out I doubt many of the basic models will get a re-work.

At this point many of us would be happy just to see a new codex, let alone new models.

Crovax20
28-01-2010, 13:23
the plastic kits for necrons are pretty good, so I doubt those will get a resculpt. There is a rumour that the tomb spider will come out in plastic this year, not sure if it will be a new sculpt though. But destroyers, warriors, scarabs, monolith are all pretty much sure to not change.

Spiney Norman
28-01-2010, 13:28
Then it depends a little.

Necrons are unlikely to get an update in 2010, but quite likely to get one in 2011. So would that give you too little playing time with the current range?

Also, I doubt there will be new Necron Warriors or a new Monolith model, so considering how the current codex is laid out you should be able to keep using most of your old models without pining over the new ones when the update finally hits.

I dunno, it depends how drastically they are going to change necrons when they do the re-write (rumours do point to a total overhaul, although that may just be rule changes). The necron range is one of the most cohesive in the game (apart from pariahs I guess), they all look like they belong in the same army since they're all really just variations on the same model, so if they wanted to drastically alter the look and feel of them then they would pretty well have to redo the whole lot. I admit though, I would be really sad if they got rid of the green glo-stix

On the other hand that really isn't necessary, the plastics are great models (considering they're what, 8 yrs old) in fact I'd say they were some of the best 40k models of that generation and they really haven't dated that badly. I think they could easily keep warriors (and therefore scarabs) and destroyers as they are without a problem and whatever they do with the range the monolith really doesn't need to change.

Flayed ones and immortals would seriously benefit from being plasticed, as would the Tomb Spyder and heavy destroyers would certainly benefit from a small additional plastic sprue for their gun and targetter thingy. The only model that really need something new and different are the pariahs, which are currently too blocky and need to be more like the codex art IMHO.

PrimeMinistersQ&A
28-01-2010, 14:37
When exactly ARE necrons supposed to come out? Like what 2021?

It's like Dark Eldar, they are never coming out. Get it straight. They might as well be mythical.

Karham
28-01-2010, 14:48
If you are only hesitant to start Necrons based on the time frame of a new release, I say you have no need to be worried.

Yes, i agree. Thanks for all the reply, guys. I think i'm gonna buy a battleforce :)

DA_WarM
28-01-2010, 19:48
Last year I bought two phalanx boxes at 270$. I now have 96 warriors, 24 scarab bases, 12 destroyers, 2 monoliths and 2 lords. I don't have the codex but I'm waiting for it to start glue"ing"!

Setesh
28-01-2010, 19:57
i heard about the plastic tomb spyder this year. but consider this - why release a plastic model without a new codex to help sell it? i dont remember gw releasing minis without coinciding a new codex with them.

Col. Tartleton
28-01-2010, 20:06
They do waves of launches sometimes, and occasionally just release new kits whenever. But you won't get boxes of plastics changed without a codex release as a rule.

Setesh
28-01-2010, 20:31
They do waves of launches sometimes, and occasionally just release new kits whenever. But you won't get boxes of plastics changed without a codex release as a rule.

Aye thats my point. 8 years is too late to be considered a wave in my opinion XD So to me, if a new tomb spyder is released this year, that means a new codex is released this year...

Karham
28-01-2010, 20:35
Aye thats my point. 8 years is too late to be considered a wave in my opinion XD So to me, if a new tomb spyder is released this year, that means a new codex is released this year...

In the thread when this came up was confirmed that it will not be a Tomb Spyder...

Setesh
28-01-2010, 21:03
link? Its not a necron release?

Vhalyar
28-01-2010, 21:19
In the thread when this came up was confirmed that it will not be a Tomb Spyder...

Are you certain? For some reason I thought it was the opposite; confirmed to be a plastic Tomb Spyder :eyebrows: Though I would love to be proven wrong.

OP - Warriors, Destroyers and Monoliths are plastic, so those are safe bets if you want to avoid getting hosed by updated models.

Edit: Yeah, it's supposed (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4252023&postcount=26) to be a plastic tomb spyder. So Op, don't invest too much into those!

necrons:
plastic tombspider

Karham
28-01-2010, 22:33
So, i remembered wrongly :D

Well, better to not playing them :D

The Ginger Ninja
28-01-2010, 22:38
When exactly ARE necrons supposed to come out? Like what 2021?

It's like Dark Eldar, they are never coming out. Get it straight. They might as well be mythical.
GW are going to do a double codex release late 2012 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_doomsday_prediction)