PDA

View Full Version : ULF Poll: What is people's problem with the Empire Knights?

Ultimate Life Form
28-01-2010, 21:17
:confused:

Well, I never understood all the hate and I just read a post AGAIN where they were vilified, so now I'm really curious.

Of course I wanted to know what this is all about so I looked at them again and again, but I can't really find an obvious flaw. They look... they look... well, like Knights are supposed to look in my book. Of course the models are slightly dated, but I wouldn't have a problem with adding them to my collection and they really held up well. I understand why the old Clanrats were hated, and the new Minos and the Razorgor (because they are just plain ugly), but I can't see that in the Empire Knights. Or is it just that their kit is somehow messed up or that they are a pain to assemble? :confused:

Tarian
28-01-2010, 21:21
From what I've seen, they look good. Not "excellent", but better than others. (Silly Carousel horses...)

Griefbringer
28-01-2010, 21:33
The knights are perfectly good IMHO, it might just be that the horses are starting to show their age (dating back to 1991) and are not particular dynamic or varied in their looks (only two basic head options plus one more from the knight sprue).

enyoss
28-01-2010, 21:35
I think they look perfectly good, if not very good. They're scaled just perfectly, rather than some more recent efforts like dragon princes.

In comparison to silverhelms they're godly!

GideonRavenor
28-01-2010, 23:02
They're quite nice, realistic sculpts, but suffer hugely in comparison to more recent cavalry, as their tiny horses prevent them from being imposing.

Agnar the Howler
28-01-2010, 23:10
I think they look reasonably good, better if painted well... which is more than I can say for LM Saurus Cavalry, unpainted they look like jungle cows, painted they look like sickly jungle cows, and they're still reasonably new...

Summary: I'd gladly trade my jungle cows for your carousel horsies any day.

EmperorNorton
28-01-2010, 23:17
I think they are okay.
My opinion of them used to be a bit more optimistic, but I'm currently painting a large number of them (probably just in time to have them done when new ones come out) and it's not fun.
The horses are a bit on the small side and the detail on the horses' armour is a bit iffy. The knights themselves are good, especially the Knights of the White Wolf, although getting their cloaks on properly can be a bit of a pain.

CaptScott
28-01-2010, 23:29
They are still pretty good. The only problem I have is that the horses are significantly smaller when compared to the new pistolier/outrider mounts. When they're side by side (as they often will be in an Empire army) the knights almost look like they're riding on ponies.

But then again it's only noticeably if your playing really close attention, in a game you don't notice.

So all up, they are good, but they have the potential to be absolutely awesome if GW do some good sculpts (just have a look at some of the knight art in the Empire book to see what they could look like).

Stumpy
28-01-2010, 23:40
They're just old, don't have any bling and aren't very detailed in the required areas (face, breastplate). You can get by with the knights themselves, but the ponies just look ancient.

RGB
28-01-2010, 23:40
They're a slightly minimalist, good-looking 6th edition kit.

There's nothing wrong with them other than their horses and the really awkward seating posture.

Commodus Leitdorf
28-01-2010, 23:46
It's as other have said, it's not the knights so much as the horses. I mean they're what? 20 years old now (or 19...cant quite remember). Empire players are more annoyed that they went repalced our perfectly GOOD state troops with those leotard wearing freaks, and left our knights as is.

zak
29-01-2010, 00:09
The majority of moans came after the chaos knight release and GW showed what a good cavalry model they could make. The current ones are OK and probably will be remade later on this year (imho) in the new WHFB box.

Dai-Mongar
29-01-2010, 00:16
Yup, they're just showing their age a bit. I think the fact that they're always in the battleforce is part of it too, long-time Empire players are probably a bit sick of seeing them.

brynolf
29-01-2010, 00:33
The horses are totally uninspiring and too small. Boring as hell to paint. The riders are decent. Not much worse than cold one knights at any rate.

ChaosVC
29-01-2010, 01:14
The model is okay for its time, now it is a bit dated and relatively smaller than alot of it's counter parts. Need a new update to replace them, but generally they are a good keep sake models.

jullevi
29-01-2010, 01:16
My opinion is quite the opposite. I think the knights are very plain and uninspiring (ok, the horses are too, but I am fine with that). I ended up replacing all my plastic knights with metal models from 4th edition.

Darsc Zacal
29-01-2010, 01:29
Yup. It's the horses. GW showed what they could do with horses when they last updated the Brets, and again with the Empire Outriders. Next to those, the Empire Knights just aren't very imposing on their Heavy War Ponies.

Astafas
29-01-2010, 02:35
Horses are definitely the problem...

You know what though - at the end of the day its just that so many cool new models have come out. I mean those marauder horses are SWEET and the pistolier ones are sweet too. I kept planning to use pistolier horses and knight bodies to make lancers but the WYSIWYG nazi's complain...

Condottiere
29-01-2010, 06:17
If it's the horses that are annoying, you can always consider replacing them.

Darsc Zacal
29-01-2010, 07:38
If it's the horses that are annoying, you can always consider replacing them.

I will.

Just as soon as GW updates them.:D

scarletsquig
29-01-2010, 08:05
Riders are okay.. seating posture is off a bit though, and the heads could be better. Nothing too bad really.

Horses look small, but reasonably well-sculpted for their age.

The main problem with them is simply a practical one... the tails break off quite often.

Desert Rain
29-01-2010, 17:02
They look OK, they aren't horrible abominations or something like that. Mostly they look dated compared to newer cavalry models.

Skyros
29-01-2010, 17:25
It's mostly the horses that look bad. They were made in 1991. There are people serving in the armed forces who weren't born yet when these models were made.

The other issues are that the arms really don't fit well to the torsos, and that the legs stick out too far and prevent the unit from ranking up side by side.

They aren't *terrible* (like the 7th ed state troops or mech horse were) just rather plain and uninspiring. Serviceable though.

Malorian
29-01-2010, 19:09
I think they look good, especially when you compare it to some other models coming out at the same time.

If they came out with new ones that were at the same level as the doomwheel I'm sure they would have a hard time keeping them in stock, even though existing empire players already have 40 of the old ones...

EmperorNorton
29-01-2010, 20:17
I think they look good, especially when you compare it to some other models coming out at the same time.

If they came out with new ones that were at the same level as the doomwheel I'm sure they would have a hard time keeping them in stock, even though existing empire players already have 40 of the old ones...

I for one expect I will be adding an additional order of knights to my army later this year.
Some Knights of Morr, perhaps.

Rockgut
29-01-2010, 20:44
I actually like painting the horses. They are fairly simple but can look good without a whole lot of effort. Maybe that's just me being lazy.

To reiterate others opinions, they could use a few different poses. Just not enough variety. Also, I hate the helments with all the ornate feathers, etc. I replaced all mine with White Wolf heads. Makes them look so much better IMO.

scarletsquig
29-01-2010, 21:18
Yeah, replacing the heads with helmeted pistolier/ state troop/ greatsword heads looks much better.

Man, if only they'd sold that greatsword box at 15 or even 18 instead... right now I'd have a whole army made from them with converted state troops and knights using the fully armoured greatsword head/body.