PDA

View Full Version : Chaos Daemons in Fantasy?

Commissar JVE
29-01-2010, 14:14
How good are the Chaos Daemons in Fantasy?

Stumpy
29-01-2010, 14:16
Are you just asking to get people riled up? Surely you know.

Commissar JVE
29-01-2010, 14:32
I really dont know how they are in fantasy? Im familiar with them in 40K. I guess what im asking is how competative are they in fantasy?

Valaraukar
29-01-2010, 14:35
They're the top army although some would argue Dark Elves give them a good run for their money.

Sons of Blight
29-01-2010, 14:37
how can we boot people off the forum?... j/k they are horrible.

Stumpy
29-01-2010, 14:48
Ok, in 40k terms, think of the best units you can from every army, make them into their own army, make them fearless, and you have daemons in fantasy.

Fenrir
29-01-2010, 15:39

Quite good.

Kholdaimon
29-01-2010, 16:26
Their simply the best! Better then all the rest!
Better then any book, any book they ever made.
They will grab your heart, destroy every unit you have.
They'll tear you apart, you would rather be dead.

BigbyWolf
29-01-2010, 16:34
Daemons? They're underpowered, overcosted, and have some of the most pointless special rules in the game. Of all the armies out there they're the most difficult to find a "competetive" build with!

Oh...wait, you said Daemons, not Orcs...in that case just reverse everything I said...

RGB
29-01-2010, 17:42
They're cute and cuddly and make Warhammer fun.

BigbyWolf
29-01-2010, 18:17
They're cute and cuddly and make Warhammer fun.

Quite true...in fact, the more I think about it, they're saving Warhammer- No matter what kind of army I put out I can always say, "Yeah, it's nasty...but at least it's not Daemons!"

After all, if they were banned, we'd only start to bitch at the Dark Elf players...and they're already too emotionally fragile to take that kind of heat. :angel:

Malorian
29-01-2010, 18:20
Quite true...in fact, the more I think about it, they're saving Warhammer- No matter what kind of army I put out I can always say, "Yeah, it's nasty...but at least it's not Daemons!"

After all, if they were banned, we'd only start to bitch at the Dark Elf players...and they're already too emotionally fragile to take that kind of heat. :angel:

All so very true, and it almost makes me wonder...

If you ask me DoC is very strong but it isn't the kitten vs tiger that everyone makes it out to be.

You can still have good competitive games against them and even games that you lose against them should be filled with good back and forth moments you can both enjoy.

Nothing like facing the all tank armies of 40k :rolleyes: ("Well at least I have my one unit of devestators... oh wait, nevermind, they were blown up first thing... guess I'll run around while I get shot up...")

AngelofSorrow
29-01-2010, 18:39
The army list is open for alot of abuse. More so than any army in the game.
However there are alot of haters out here on warseer that will tell you they are nigh unstoppable and if you play them you are a bad person. They are not and you are not.

If you like them play them don't let haters stop you.

enyoss
29-01-2010, 18:45
They are one of the easiest armies to build tough lists with.

It is more than possible to make a `normal' list though. It just requires a slightly different approach to making a list with most of the other armies.

I started with Daemons relatively recently and found it very useful to fish around in the army lists forum. It gave me a better idea as to what specifically was nasty about the army list, and how I could avoid maxing out on those things while still making a list I'd enjoy playing.

BigbyWolf
29-01-2010, 18:47
All so very true, and it almost makes me wonder...

If you ask me DoC is very strong but it isn't the kitten vs tiger that everyone makes it out to be.

You can still have good competitive games against them and even games that you lose against them should be filled with good back and forth moments you can both enjoy.

Nothing like facing the all tank armies of 40k :rolleyes: ("Well at least I have my one unit of devestators... oh wait, nevermind, they were blown up first thing... guess I'll run around while I get shot up...")

Your words of wisdom once again point towards the truth, Daemons can be friendly when not abused (still difficult thanks to ItP, Fear and wards saves, but hey...everyones got their weaknesses). It just seems that they attract a certain type of player who gets a bit over competitive and has to pile on the extra mature Canadian cheddar by mixing a Bloodthirster with the Masque and blocks of horrors, etc.

I've got an Orc heavy army that does well against my mates mono-Slaanesh army, my Tzeentch WoC has fun with Nurgle daemons, etc...it's all about finding a good balance.

As for kitten vs tiger, well...it depends on how many kittens you take.

They are one of the easiest armies to build tough lists with.

It is more than possible to make a `normal' list though. It just requires a slightly different approach to making a list with most of the other armies.

I started with Daemons relatively recently and found it very useful to fish around in the army lists forum. It gave me a better idea as to what specifically was nasty about the army list, and how I could avoid maxing out on those things while still making a list I'd enjoy playing.

I was tempted to start a mono-Nurgle daemon army- as everthing else Chaos I had was pretty much Nurgle, but after making several list I just couldn't get one that felt right, so gave up on the idea.

Razakel
29-01-2010, 18:49

The army is very good as far as Warhammer armies go. They're universally Fear or Terror causers, while being Immune to Psychology themselves. They recently got a good buff regarding break tests, so if they fail the whole unit doesn't explode anymore. They also all have Ward Saves which can't be underestimated.

Lastly they have some of the most terrifying Magic in the game and a Khorne only army with something like:

Bloodthirster - Obsidian Armour.
Herald with BSB maybe?
Minimum amount of Bloodletters.
Fill out the rest of your army with Flesh Hounds of Khorne.

Is stupidly difficult to beat, its the only army thats Massacred me so far (all four of the losses in my signature since I returned to Warhammer have been from Daemons of Chaos).

decker_cky
29-01-2010, 21:39

You mean you have to look at the options and say "what's the worst choice?" :P

enyoss
29-01-2010, 21:51
You mean you have to look at the options and say "what's the worst choice?" :P

Well... er, that's kind of it actually :D.

When I make my High Elf armies, I naturally resist making the most powerful builds (i.e. no minimum core or star dragon), but within those parameters I try to optimize my choices as much as I can.

When it comes to Daemons, I follow a similar process, but at the end of it all I swap out a couple of the harder rewards here and there, count up the power dice, and make the necessary adjustments to recalibrate it to `fun'. Then again, I got whooped last time I played with Daemons :p.

It seems that there are a few rewards and unit choices which seem quite innocuous when you first read them, for example Siren Song, but which turn out to be devastating when used either en masse or in concert with other elements in the army. The whole list is packed with resonances!