PDA

View Full Version : Which Army is more competative?

Rosstifer
30-01-2010, 08:10
As the title says. Take your pick. OK is in there as a bit of a joke.

Ultimate Life Form
30-01-2010, 08:15
Well, none of these armies is competative.

However if you want to know which is the most competitive, I'd go for VC.

Rosstifer
30-01-2010, 08:17
Wait, your saying neither Dark Elves or Vampires are competative? Where have you been scince 2008?

Condottiere
30-01-2010, 08:19
Both Vampires and Dark Elves are good, but I find Dark Elves more competitive.

Stumpy
30-01-2010, 08:28
Vampires rarely lose due to to the difficulty of getting any real victory points from them. Dark elves get massive wins because they're brutal. Therefore dark elves have greater capacity to win, which is more competative over VCs resistance to loss.

Tae
30-01-2010, 09:22
Just take a look at the tournament scene for your answer. Not only are there more DE armys finishing top (or at least high end) in these, but the variety between the types of DE army is so much bigger than VC ones.

VCs have a couple of potential builds, and even then they're both one trick ponys. DE can make lists that do everything they want. Combat, Shooting, Magic, No touch, Deathstar etc. etc.

Honestly, VC are still a good army but I think they are certainly slipping from their 3rd place in the traditional 'power rankings' and are sliding down towards joining the bundle of people around 4th (Lizardmen, etc.) as people are now aware of the one trick ponys that VCs bring to the table and are aware of how to easily counter them.

Awilla the Hun
30-01-2010, 11:47
None of the armies are competative, because there is no such word. "Competitive", however is. I put Ogre Kingdoms so as to beat the system, and because you can make competitive Ogre Kingdoms lists just as you can make awful Dark Elven and Daemonic ones. It's just more difficult.

Wolfmother
30-01-2010, 11:54
i think this is probably the tightest call atm i think the fact dark elves have harpies as core
did it for me and the shadestar!

Desert Rain
30-01-2010, 12:05
I vote for the Dark Elves since they can do everything really well and still have points left to buy more stuff.

Witchblade
31-01-2010, 01:54
Just take a look at the tournament scene for your answer. Not only are there more DE armys finishing top (or at least high end) in these, but the variety between the types of DE army is so much bigger than VC ones.

What he^ said.

Keetoowah
31-01-2010, 03:25
I wish that Ogre Kingdoms actually had a shot and were not just up there as a joke.

Zaustus
31-01-2010, 03:54
Wait, your saying neither Dark Elves or Vampires are competative? Where have you been scince 2008?

No, he's saying you misspelled the word "competitive."

Keetoowah
31-01-2010, 03:58
No, he's saying you misspelled the word "competitive."

You forgot that he also misspelled since.

phoenixguard09
31-01-2010, 04:04
Jeez give him a break with the spelling.

I just wish High Elves were up here.

Keetoowah
31-01-2010, 04:19
Jeez give him a break with the spelling.

I just wish High Elves were up here.

I was just joking around. I also often misspell things.

I just figured that if he was going to be a jerk about it that I point out that he missed something.

ASF killes me.

ftayl5
31-01-2010, 04:29
OGRE KINGDOMS FTW!!!!!

Whats so bad about Ogres? They were my second fantasy army and I did ok with them, kicked more than a few VC armies in 'da face. Hey and why aren't Daemons of Chaos in here?

Keetoowah
31-01-2010, 04:39
they are just as good as any other army in the right hands, the problem is, most people just can't play them

phoenixguard09
31-01-2010, 08:30
Sorry keetoowah I have an innability to detect sarcasm. : )

Actually I agree that Daemons should be on here but I still say Dark Elves for reasons stated above.

Zaustus
31-01-2010, 09:56
I was just joking around. I also often misspell things.

I just figured that if he was going to be a jerk about it that I point out that he missed something.

ASF killes me.

I'm not being a jerk. He didn't seem to get what another poster was saying. I simply clarified the meaning for him. I don't care if he misspells words, personally.

Though since we're picking nits, he also used "your" instead of the correct word, "you're." Additionally, the correct companion to "neither" is "nor," not "or."

But like I said, I don't care.

tezdal
31-01-2010, 09:58
de' orc's iz moar kompetutivee den both 'de dark panzee's and the bony' gitz

Tae
31-01-2010, 11:48
de' orc's iz moar kompetutivee den both 'de dark panzee's and the bony' gitz

An educated Orc, kill it!

Keetoowah
31-01-2010, 14:59
I'm not being a jerk. He didn't seem to get what another poster was saying. I simply clarified the meaning for him. I don't care if he misspells words, personally.

Though since we're picking nits, he also used "your" instead of the correct word, "you're." Additionally, the correct companion to "neither" is "nor," not "or."

But like I said, I don't care.

I know, we're just screwing with you. :P

Keetoowah
31-01-2010, 15:00
An educated Orc, kill it!

nnnooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooo

da da, gotta 'uze da da

ChaosVC
31-01-2010, 15:22
Which is the most competative army? hmmmmm I would say the army of players that attend GT and ard boys every event. Each of them have 6d trays of Models of Doom and dice of Dispair!

tezdal
01-02-2010, 03:33
nnnooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooo

da da, gotta 'uze da da

Sorry guys, I'm not an orc player, I just like to pretend sometimes.

Krom The Eternal
01-02-2010, 04:48
Vampires Hands down

Dranthar
01-02-2010, 09:22
I voted Ogres.

Dark Elf Stomachs are too small and their tastes too refined to compete with the ogres massive eating capacity. And Vampire Counts are undead, making competitive eating out of the question really.

Lordsaradain
01-02-2010, 16:30
VC are more competative than DE I'd say.

Lord Anathir
01-02-2010, 22:23
wtf is this ********. 28% voted ogres? wth.... the results should be 99% DE.

Emeraldw
01-02-2010, 22:29
wtf is this ********. 28% voted ogres? wth.... the results should be 99% DE.

I think you mean that ogres shouldn't have votes, but I am pretty sure people are yanking his chain, I know I almost voted for them ^.^

Hellblane
01-02-2010, 22:40
I voted OK because I have not played them so much but can pretty much compete with DE and VC players!!

Gork or Possibly Mork
02-02-2010, 01:13
I voted DE. Overall they have the most flexible army to be competitive with various builds. They can build list to dominate one or more phases but I find all around list something fearsome.

VC although very powerful usually thier most competitive builds revolve around nek spam and deathstars. They mostly win by attrition or extremely powerful deathstars mowing things down.

Ogres are a bit weak due to alot more weaknesses than other armies but make no mistake in the right hands of someone that knows the army, is a clever tactician and knows how to exploit other armies weaknesses they can be just as dangerous and competitive. TBH I do alright with my Ogres but against some armies I struggle ( mostly VC, Daemons and Empire or Dwarf gunlines ). I tend to wipe someone out or get wiped out. Usually the latter. Lol. I find they are less flexible than other armies but still great fun.

There is a guy in our group that plays extremely well with them. Interstingly enough he doesn't usually play with a heavy butcher/Ironguts list like most. He has a tyrant, butcher and bruiser BSB and tons and tons of bulls with Irongut support. He is a master of redirection and multicharging madness. I've seen him use a similar tactic quite often to great effect. It will look like his army is spread out then suddenly he overloads one side ( seemingly out of no where ) and just smashes right through decimating half or more of the other players army before they can counter it. He uses gnoblers and Yhettees and spare bull units to keep the other part of the army busy. Then it's basically his whole army against half the opponents. This may seem like a simple strategy ( and it is ) but Im telling you the way this guy does it is beautiful to watch and unlike the way most people do it. He's really good at disguising it then out of nowhere he blitzkrieg's where you wouldn't expect it but also in a way you can't recover without taking huge risk. He smashes Daemons, DE, and VC's regularly. Some pretty good players at that. Me I have an occassional win against DE and I rarely beat Daemons and Vamps with my Ogres.

Phazael
02-02-2010, 04:20
In the hands of an expert, DE are the best army in fantasy right now. No properly built DE list should EVER lose to Daemons. Ever. They have a couple issues with other top armies, namely Vanhels spamming VC and Skaven SAD 2.0, but nothing insormountable with a solid list and good generalship.

Also, DE sucked for so long that people tend to go easier on them in soft scores than they do on obvious points of ******** (ie DoC, VC), even though the army is massively strong. Toss in great conversion opportunities and its an all around brilliant competitive choice for GTs.

hawo0313
02-02-2010, 07:45
I voted dark elves they can actually do anything and do it well with no weakness and while VC and DoC are up with them being daemons and undead does robb them of some tactical flexibility in fleeing etc and DE can have tons of firepower, monsters, cheap items, killy characters strong core (or really fast core) and great magic this army has the ability the excell at everything

Max_Killfactor
02-02-2010, 12:55
Dark Elves can handle Demons better and have a greater variety in play styles. Head to head, I think it's very even between DE and VC (and LM imo).

I voted DE because they can do more.

The SkaerKrow
02-02-2010, 13:13
To be fair, I've beaten both Dark Elves and Vampire Counts, but never Ogre Kingdoms.

Enigmatik1
02-02-2010, 13:30
To be fair, I've beaten both Dark Elves and Vampire Counts, but never Ogre Kingdoms.

That doesn't matter if you've never played an Ogre Kingdoms army! :p

The SkaerKrow
02-02-2010, 16:13
I've played a few, actually. I don't think my own abysmal Win-Loss record against Ogre Kingdoms is concrete evidence that they're an amazingly competitive army, I just thought it was an amusing aside.

I voted Vampire Counts. Any army that's immune to psychology and break tests, and able to create new units/restore existing ones (not to mention make charge moves in the magic phase) tends to enjoy a competitive advantage. Dark Elves can certainly be built into some very nasty lists, but all Vampire Counts armies are nasty thanks to their inherit rules.

CaliforniaGamer
02-02-2010, 17:09
DE's ability to win >>>>> VC's ability to pull draws, tournament results from 2009 mirror this.

N810
02-02-2010, 18:00
Curently my crew is playing 1000pt games,
And I have had a lot more losses to Ogres
that DE ot VC combined.

fubukii
02-02-2010, 21:18
both are highly competitive armies, but in terms of full out cheese i would say vc beats dark elves if playing each other. But vs other armies dark elves have a edge.

W0lf 1990
03-02-2010, 00:41
Dark elves are easily more broken then vampire counts.

The reasons are simple;

- They have more options in builds/unit types and flee charge reaction
- Better magic items
- Hatred makes them more realiable then Vamps
- No reliance on characters or indeed any one part of the army

duffybear1988
03-02-2010, 00:43
Ogre Kingdoms FTW every time. I cant even believe you needed to ask :)

I remember this one time an Ogre army charged my entire army of night goblins, made a few kills, I killed a few ogres in return - then his entire army broke and was run down by 2 feet tall green monsters - honestly Ogre Kingdoms are so underpowered its hilarious.

zak
03-02-2010, 00:54
In my experience OK's have done rather well against Undead. DE's are just nasty against anything. They are very forgiving considering they are elves.

W0lf 1990
03-02-2010, 01:06
What is it that makes you say this Zak?

In my own experience Ogres simply cannot beat my own vampires. They rely on great weapon wielding troops (ironguts) who get punished by striking last in later rounds and really struggle vs WS 7 (hit on 5+) from helm lord.

Not too mention typically low magic defence.