PDA

View Full Version : Lothern Sea Guard

English 2000
05-02-2006, 21:28
Which WD issue were the rules for Lothern Sea guard posted? (North American #s)

A neutral shade of black.
05-02-2006, 22:06
If you're referring to the horrible LSG army list, it's from the Storm of Chaos army book and therefore wasn't in a White Dwarf and is available on either of the GW websites. If not, I have no clue what you're talking about.

English 2000
05-02-2006, 22:11
Yes, that is the list I'm talking about.

What's so bad about it? I've never read the list til now...

ZomboCom
05-02-2006, 23:50
The LSG list is regarded as nasty by many people because the Lord has a special ability which allows the LSG player a free round of shooting before the game begins, with no negative modifiers, no range limits and no targetting restrictions.

Personally I think this is ballanced out by the hugely restrictive nature of the list.

Eldacar
06-02-2006, 01:29
Personally I think this is ballanced out by the hugely restrictive nature of the list.
And the fact that you'll either slaughter the enemy before they even reach your lines, or you'll be horribly massacred. There isn't really a middle ground when playing the LSG army, I don't think.

skuller
06-02-2006, 02:19
And the fact that you'll either slaughter the enemy before they even reach your lines, or you'll be horribly massacred. There isn't really a middle ground when playing the LSG army, I don't think.

But that is the charm with all shooting armies I mean empire armies, ole dwarf (havent fought the new), WE, etc as soon as they reach the offending shooting lines is just pain time. The LSG isnt that unbalanced, its restricted like to 4-5 different units (including lotehern sea guard, sea company, sea rangers and repeater bolt trhower ), one monster and thas it and is really expensive per soldier. Against mix/max and horde armies will suffer but against elite armies will destroy a couple of units before starting the game. It should be fun to play with or against IMHO so enjoy

Eldacar
06-02-2006, 04:14
It should be fun to play with or against IMHO
Not really. It turns the game into an exercise in rolling dice, which you can do without bothering to even turn up with the models.

Dodgy Ed
06-02-2006, 08:32
I truly detest the seaguard, speaking as a dwarf player in a standard tournament game (6 turns) if you're very lucky you might see combat in the last turn of the game, that is if you deploy exactly opposite an elf unit. I acknowledge that Dwarf vs Seaguard is an inherently unbalanced match up but even so I don't think there's another list that can shut down an entire aspect of the game if it so chooses.

Gorbad Ironclaw
06-02-2006, 08:32
But that is the charm with all shooting armies

Charm? I don't think the rest of the gunline armies are anymore fun, Seaguards just takes it to the next level by completly removing any tactics as he can wipe out your support units before the game starts no matter what you do.

As a general rule I don't think gunlines make for very enjoyable games at all. It all comes down to if his dice rolling is good enough to kill you before you cross the table. If thats what I wanted to do, I got a big bucket of dice we can sit down and roll, then we won't have to bother with setting up models and what not, much easier.

skuller
06-02-2006, 11:55
I undertand your frustration but is only one free round of shooting of a very expensive elite small army and theyre are couple of armies that will suffer from advantage, horde armies, heavy cavalry armies, ambush armies etc. You mention that it will be just an exercise of rolling dice but when you reach the enemy line and charge it with your ultra hard killing heroes/units is almost the same. Unfortunately shooting armies is a style of playing that some players prefer and some armies encourage. Of course this is just my opinion and we can agree to disagree.
So English 2000 as you can see after you build your army and play a couple of games must likely other players will start passing to play against you again cause of your broken army. Solution enjoy it for a couple of games and then return to play regular HE.
Just my two cents

English 2000
06-02-2006, 16:46
I undertand your frustration but is only one free round of shooting of a very expensive elite small army and theyre are couple of armies that will suffer from advantage, horde armies, heavy cavalry armies, ambush armies etc. You mention that it will be just an exercise of rolling dice but when you reach the enemy line and charge it with your ultra hard killing heroes/units is almost the same. Unfortunately shooting armies is a style of playing that some players prefer and some armies encourage. Of course this is just my opinion and we can agree to disagree.
So English 2000 as you can see after you build your army and play a couple of games must likely other players will start passing to play against you again cause of your broken army. Solution enjoy it for a couple of games and then return to play regular HE.
Just my two cents

Thanks for the input everyone. I was recently given an enormous (5k+ army- havn't added it all up yet) so I can basically do any kind of HE list that I want. I thought the Sea guard list might be neat....now that I've read the list it reminds me of a weaker version of the ever so boring to play empire gun line. I'll probably play with the list a few times for fun, but likely stick to regular HE....just have to figure out the best way to build the army...

Major Defense
08-02-2006, 03:51
I don't think there's another list that can shut down an entire aspect of the game if it so chooses.

With the Storm Banner and/or the Eshin Cover of Night special rule, a Skaven player can render all shooting useless. Funny though that the Sea Patrol's special round of shooting happens before any of that.