PDA

View Full Version : Odd "Deathstar" ideas....Throw some up.

TheSanityAssassin
01-02-2010, 03:03
Lots of people have been talking about "Deathstar" units recently, particularly since 'Ard Boyz. I think we all know some of the most common incarnations....but what about some really out-of-the-box theories for Super-Units? Can anyone come up with something that seems just so bizzare that it just might work? I came up with this idea by thinking of this unit:

"Reaver-Star"

8-10 Ellyrion Reavers w/ Standard and Musician

Elf Prince, Unbarded Steed, Armour of Caldedor, Star Lance, Guardian Phoenix

Noble BSB, Unbarded Steed, Dragon Armour, Lance, Shield, Some kind of Magic Banner. (Ellyrion or War Banner or Arcane Protection

Noble, Unbarded Steed, Dragon Armour, Lance, Sacred Incense, Dragonscale Shield

Sounds pretty wacky, but it's sure to have outnumber, a banner and a BSB, LOTS of good S6+ attacks, and an 18" charge range, that could go through terrain with the right banner. It also holds on to the ability to move like fast-cav when not charging.

Again....sounds silly, but I could see it working against the right foe. I have actually used a smaller version of this unit (5 with a noble) to great effect.

sulla
01-02-2010, 04:37
Just out of curiosity... what is the right foe for this 'deathstar'?

outbreak
01-02-2010, 04:55
how about something like (if your playing characters can join a skaven bellunit)

grey seer, screaming bell - portents of verminous doom & shadow magnet trinket
chieftan, bsb - banner of clan superiority/sacred standard of the horned rat
30 stormvermin w/shields - stormbanner

limkopi
01-02-2010, 05:06
Empire Knights deathstar - knights, BSB + stubborn banner + Grandmaster/someone with icon of magnus.

chase14101
01-02-2010, 05:18
60 giant rats with skweel... and bsb maybe? +deathfrenzy

Hrogoff the Destructor
01-02-2010, 05:42
how about something like (if your playing characters can join a skaven bellunit)

grey seer, screaming bell - portents of verminous doom & shadow magnet trinket
chieftan, bsb - banner of clan superiority/sacred standard of the horned rat
30 stormvermin w/shields - stormbanner
Gee... this unit sounds quite familiar actually. My main rival runs it standard. And ohhh boy... let me tell you how much I hate it.

Since I'm a person that refuses to run two heroes in one unit, I can tell you that this thing is the bane of my existence, especially my Empire (which is my main army at the moment).

Since the stormbanner doesn't say "one use only", my poor Empire literally has no way of dealing with it short of taking Karl Franz on a dragon (which is also something I won’t do since I very rarely take named characters nowadays). My cannons never get to shoot!

The player that's facing off against it will not wipe out every stormvermin in the unit. They can and will eventually lose rounds of combat against it due to bad rolls, and they will flee.

Maybe I should let old habits die and play dirty like everyone else as all my opponents run some sort of death star, but none are as unbeatable as this.
Keep in mind that I only play with my Empire at the moment, and haven’t faced it with any of my other teams (so I don’t know how they would fare against it, though I think WoC could do quite well, too bad I don’t enjoy using them).

The best way of dealing with it is to ignore it. I generally do this by getting a steamtank stuck in front of the unit.

Edit:
Here's the Brettonian train of death
262 – Brettonian Lord w/grail vow, Virtue of the ideal, the silver lance of the blessed, shield, barded warhorse
225 – Paladin w/grail vow, bsb, banner of the lady, virtue of duty, barded warhorse
147 – Paladin w/grail vow, virtue of discipline, the heartwood lance, shield, barded warhorse
151 – Paladin w/grail vow, virtue of the joust, the mane of the purebred, lance, shield, barded warhorse
141 – Paladin w/grail vow, virtue of Knightly temper, lance, shield, barded warhorse
663 - 16 grail knights, champion, musician, warbanner

Considering how abnormally long the unit would be, it's definately a strange one.

cob
01-02-2010, 15:10
Terradon death star:

TikTaq'to
Skink Chief BSB on terradon with Sun standard of Chotec
Skink Chief on terradon with shield of mirrored pool

20 Terradons (or more if you want to..)

MR1, 2+ to bounce any magic missiles back, -2 to hit outside 12 inches, -3 at short range. 6+ ward save.

Can fly on from any board edge and drop 23 d3 rocks on a unit (perfect against other death stars like shades) and throw 22 poisoned javelins.

scarvet
01-02-2010, 15:52
20 Minotaurs , 3 Gorebull and a Doombull.

Valaraukar
01-02-2010, 15:56
Doombull should have the stubborn gift, or weapon which after one kill in a challenge makes the unit cause terror and unbreakable. Other buff type items and gifts on heroes then you're talking, could do with some shooting and magic resistance to go with the psychology protection. Make one a bsb

Bladelord
01-02-2010, 16:20
Master, BSB, pair of repeater handbows, Cold One, sea cloak, heavy armour, shield, Banner of Nagarythe.

Master, pair of repeater handbows, great weapon, Ring of Hotek, Armour of Darkness.

Dreadlord, pair of repeater handbows, shield, Cold One, sea cloak, Armour of Eternal Servitude, Sword of Might, 3 Null Talisman.

Assassin, additional hand weapon, some sorts of poison.

Death Hag, Cauldron of Blood (Boost the unit!)

100 Warriors, shields, FC, Banner of Murder.

Something like that maybe? Atleast it's a big unbreakable unit:P

As long anyone won't say a Daemon Deathstar this thread will be fun to read.

grumbaki
01-02-2010, 17:44
Grand Master: Laurel of Victory, Sword of +2 strength (240)
Warrior Priest: Sword of Might, Von Horstman's Speculum (155)
10 Inner Circle Knights: Full Command, Banner of the Daemonslayer (350)

So, how is this a deathstar? Well..., it comes to a grand total of 745 points for one...

Secondly, you run it with two ranks of 6. It charges and causes fear and is immune to pyschology. The warrior priest, hopefully, can get hammer of sigmar off on the grand master, letting him re-roll to hit and to wound rolls. All wounds he does count as double combat resolution. The warrior priest himself will take any challenges from nasty foes with his von horstman's speculum, and gives hatred to himself and the unit. The knights themselves get str 6 and re-roll misses.

And to top it all off, they will outnumber most enemies, so if they win combat the foe will need snake eyes to hold. So there you go, and unusual deathstar.

BigbyWolf
01-02-2010, 18:47
Archaon
Ex. BSB- MoK, Shield, Juggernaught, MoK, Banner of the Gods
Sorcerer- 2xScroll, MoS, Steed of Slaanesh, Bloodcurdling Roar

3x5 Marauder Horsemen- MoS, Musician

5 Knights (Swords of Chaos, Achaon starts here)

7 Knights- Standard, Blasted Standard, MoT (BSB here, Archaon leaves his unit and joins this one)

Terror causing, Stubborn on Ld 10, 3+ward vs Shooting.

I think the whole lot is roughly 2000pts.

Sygerrik
01-02-2010, 19:42
Bloodletters with a Herald of Khorne BSB on a Juggernaut with Obsidian Armor with the Great Standard of Sundering or Standard of Chaos Glory.

Ok, I'm joking, but only a little. It's a deathstar unit but the army book is so badly broken anyways that it barely matters.

GuyLeCheval
01-02-2010, 20:33
3 censer priests (shadow trinket and such)

Many, MANY censer bearers.

outbreak
01-02-2010, 21:53
3 censer priests (shadow trinket and such)

Many, MANY censer bearers.

Many censers won't work, you'll just end up with a bunch not in B2B with the enemy but still taking toughness tests from their own guys.

Don Zeko
01-02-2010, 22:34
the Doggy Death Star!

Put a tooled Khorne Chaos Lord on a jugger in a unit of 25-30 warhounds. you get speed and ranks from the dogs, and the lord provides the ACR you need to break units.

Valaraukar
01-02-2010, 23:47
Use a warshrine to give them fear or terror for the autobreak too ;)

Sygerrik
01-02-2010, 23:54
Many censers won't work, you'll just end up with a bunch not in B2B with the enemy but still taking toughness tests from their own guys.
Depending on your local group's interpretation of the Furnace rules, though, you can have a unit with a BSB, a Priest, a combat Warlord, an Assassin, and a hojillion Monks with PCBs on the flanks. Sort of deathstar-y, though Skaven don't do deathstars well.

Voss
01-02-2010, 23:57
the Doggy Death Star!

Put a tooled Khorne Chaos Lord on a jugger in a unit of 25-30 warhounds. you get speed and ranks from the dogs, and the lord provides the ACR you need to break units.

That isn't really a 'death star' type unit though. Most block infantry can easily compete with it by challenging the lord with something (or accepting with the unit champ) and racking up dog kills. As even against something like empire swordsmen, the 5 or 6 dogs that attack are only going to rack up 1 or 2 kills at best. A decent character and a few swordsmen killing dogs can compete with the overkill bonus generated by the unit champion's painful dismemberment. Actually, add in a detachment and the chaos unit will probably lose. Definitely not a good deathstar.

Marauders could possibly do better, simply because they can reach a higher strength (thus kill more enemies) and a have a better save. Not sure how the points vs killing power works with knights as another alternative.

Valaraukar
01-02-2010, 23:59
I Don't think he was being entirely serious, and just to play devils advocate as dogs are faster than block infantry you'd try to go for a flank/rear charge and avoid challenges.

Bladelord
02-02-2010, 00:08
Here's an odd deathstar:

Paladin with some sort of equipment.
500 Peasent Bowmen:wtf:, skirmish, FC, braziers.
725pts.

Ally yourself with high elves in a 1000pts battle & see the unit bombard unit after unit with arrows till everyone on the battlefield are filled with those burning arrows! Well, that's the idea anyway:p

I wonder how a Great Unclean One would like this, should maybe on average make 50 wounds:D

Jericho
02-02-2010, 00:58
LOL assuming you had a small gap between all those bowmen (5mm) they would still take up about 60% of your deployment zone on a 6' board. And then you have all those Lances to drop down, heaven forbid some Peg knights with their massive inability to rank up :p

limkopi
02-02-2010, 01:06
the Doggy Death Star!

Don't forget to use double warshrines to get nice bonuses!

Bladelord
02-02-2010, 01:07
& Favour of the Gods on Lord;)

TheSanityAssassin
02-02-2010, 01:08
Just out of curiosity... what is the right foe for this 'deathstar'?

Any ranked infantry unit with less than 2 characters in it. Could smash most things from the flank quite handily, so long as it wasn't stubborn.

Could even deal with reasonable ranked infantry units from the front with the number of character attacks.

ftayl5
02-02-2010, 05:46
A 9 Juggernaut unit with Skulltaker on a Juggernaut in it. :)

tezdal
05-02-2010, 11:55
Here's the Brettonian train of death
262 Brettonian Lord w/grail vow, Virtue of the ideal, the silver lance of the blessed, shield, barded warhorse
225 Paladin w/grail vow, bsb, banner of the lady, virtue of duty, barded warhorse
147 Paladin w/grail vow, virtue of discipline, the heartwood lance, shield, barded warhorse
151 Paladin w/grail vow, virtue of the joust, the mane of the purebred, lance, shield, barded warhorse
141 Paladin w/grail vow, virtue of Knightly temper, lance, shield, barded warhorse
663 - 16 grail knights, champion, musician, warbanner

Considering how abnormally long the unit would be, it's definately a strange one.

Isnt it max 12 grail knights in a unit though?

Malorian
05-02-2010, 16:01
Terradon death star:

TikTaq'to
Skink Chief BSB on terradon with Sun standard of Chotec
Skink Chief on terradon with shield of mirrored pool

20 Terradons (or more if you want to..)

MR1, 2+ to bounce any magic missiles back, -2 to hit outside 12 inches, -3 at short range. 6+ ward save.

Can fly on from any board edge and drop 23 d3 rocks on a unit (perfect against other death stars like shades) and throw 22 poisoned javelins.

I like this one :)

Since I got TikTaq'to and haven't used him yet I might have to give this a try :D

BigbyWolf
05-02-2010, 16:08
I like this one :)

Since I got TikTaq'to and haven't used him yet I might have to give this a try :D

Can the other characters join the unit though? I thought TikTaq'to was the exception to the rule?

Col. Frost
05-02-2010, 16:09
Here's an odd deathstar:

Paladin with some sort of equipment.
500 Peasent Bowmen:wtf:, skirmish, FC, braziers.
725pts.

Ally yourself with high elves in a 1000pts battle & see the unit bombard unit after unit with arrows till everyone on the battlefield are filled with those burning arrows! Well, that's the idea anyway:p

That would be hard, the 'deathstar' unit costs 3000+ points ;)

And rolling 500+ dice every turn would make me (and my opponent) cry :cries:

Malorian
05-02-2010, 16:10
Can the other characters join the unit though? I thought TikTaq'to was the exception to the rule?

Skinks on terradons are the exception where they can join flying units.

BigbyWolf
05-02-2010, 16:28
Skinks on terradons are the exception where they can join flying units.

Fair bish, as a none-Lizardman player I can't be right all the time ;).

Here's another for the list:

Nurgle Knights- Frenzy Banner, Lord (N) with Blasphemous Amulet and Word of Agony (and anything else you fancy), BSB (N) with Festering Shroud.

The unit in itself would cream most things, but it's the pre-combat toughness tests and Word of Agony that make it more fun...bye-bye ASF Elves!

Leogun_91
05-02-2010, 23:06
Ranger deathstar
Josef Bugman
30 Longbeard rangers with all the equipment they can take. Master rune of grugni.
Dwarf Lord. Shieldbearers, Masterrune of Kingship (a waste of points but it makes the unit hard), rune of brotherhood, rune of stone.
Dwarf BSB, rune of brotherhood 2* rune of warding.
Dwarf Thane, 2* fury, rune of brotherhood.

This baby deploys as a scout, is stubborn ld10 immune to fear and terror, has magic resistance 2, a 5+ wardsave against shooting and magic missiles. Easy to ignore maybe but really cool. In larger games it can be combined with an anvil and become harder to ignore.

mistrmoon
06-02-2010, 04:17
I was looking to play an objective based game of legendary battle in the near future, I own 80+ hammerers so all those in one unit with immunity to fear and terror and a few other fancy runes on a bsb thane, then give the thane an oathstone, let's see someone displace that.

kaubin
06-02-2010, 05:50
Trollstar!

Black Orc Big Boss, 20 Trolls. Rank bonuses, fear, outnumber, free waaaagh, and a million regeneration wounds :D

Diddycom
06-02-2010, 14:52
Lord Reroll and challange with Bretts for the win :)

scarvet
06-02-2010, 16:06
Gnarltooth, 4 Priest on Poxrat, and however giant rat you can afford.

w3rm
06-02-2010, 19:21
Skweel Gnawtooth
3 units of 20 Slaves
38 Rat Ogres and 1 Packmaster

w3rm
07-02-2010, 16:37
Houndstar

26 Direwolves
3 Vampires on Steeds w/ DA and Raise Undead Creatures
1 Vampire Lord on a steed with Redfury and Dreadlance

Vampires Spam raise wolves while Vampire Lord destroys anything it comes in contact with.

Jack of Blades
07-02-2010, 22:07
20 Chosen
Full Command
Collar of Khorne
War Banner
Mark of Tzeentch

Chaos Lord
Hellfire Sword
Necrotic Phylactery
Favour of the Gods
Shield
Bloodcurdling Roar
Soporific Musk
Word of Agony
Mark of Tzeentch
Barded Chaos Steed

Exalted Hero
Banner of Rage
Battle Standard Bearer
Shield
Mark of Tzeentch
Stream of Corruption
Barded Chaos Steed

2 supporting Warshrines

Point Cost: 1385 points
What It Does: The remains-in-play'esque Warshrine ability lets the unit roll 2 times on the EotG table per friendly shooting turn, once at the start of the game and every time a character in the unit kills a large target/anything in a challenge. Every result can be modified by +/-1 except if a 2 (stupidity) is rolled, if a 12 is rolled then the unit gets a 4+ ward save (3+ due to MoT) and Stubborn.
Static Combat Resolution: 3 ranks + Standard + War Banner + BSB = 6
Damage Output: Assuming no damage beneficial result is rolled on the EotG table:
- Chosen put out 13 S4/6 attacks at WS6, Exalted 5 S5 WS7 attacks, Lord 6 S5 WS8 D3+1 flaming attacks. Lord can use a 12'' 2D6 S1 no AS ranged weapon and a one use only model in BTB contact takes D6 S4 no AS hits, Exalted can use a one use only S3 -1 AS breath weapon, units fleeing from this unit roll 3D6 and discard the highest roll.
Defensive Ability: Unit-wide 3+ Ward Save, Stubborn on LD9 with re-roll, Chosen have either 2+ or 4+ AS depending on shield/GW, Immune to Psychology because of unremovable frenzy, MR2.
Liabilities: Frenzy.

Provided you roll 11 or 12 once at the EotG table, this unit will eat nearly literally anything you throw at it.

JonnyX
07-02-2010, 22:11
what about a huge line of corsairs with handbows?

-50 corsairs w/ handbows
-Dreadlord w/ 3 null talismans, RoH, Lifetaker, full mundane armor and great weapon
-Master BSB w/ Ring of darkness, Banner of Nagary,Great weapon and 2 repeater handbows
-Master w/ Guiding eye, 2 repeater handbows and a great weapon

IF you want to charge this unit you have a chance of taking 100 str 3 shots and when you get into combat you will then face 10 str 6 attacks.
They also get one phase of shooting rerolls.
Will die horribly to pretty much anything but made me laugh.

Havock
07-02-2010, 22:52
When, pray tell will that unit get to bring all of its bows to bear?

Also: Any fast cav deathstar is really more a case of "operation line up behind killy character and harpoon the **** out of unit Y"

w3rm
08-02-2010, 01:01
Sorry but any infantry Deathstar is not gonna do crap. Its to slow and easy for the enemy to just ignore. Unless that unit has shooting or magic that with force the enemy to engage it the Deathstar will be ignored. That is why the Deathstar has to have one or more of these qualities.

1. Speed
2. Ranged Attacks
3. Other Way to force the enemy to engage(Magic, Sieren Song other...)

What about a Chariot Deathstar?

Tomb King
Prince
Priest
Priest

2 Units of 5 Light Cav
23 Chariots w/ FC and Mirage Banner
4 Scorpions
Bone Giant

Basically the Prince and King use incantaions to charge then attack twice in combat and the priests rais what gets killed. Its kind of unweildy. Maybe a unit of 14 would be better. And split up the rest.

angelusmortis1384
08-02-2010, 16:10
if the infantry deathstar is the entire army... it can't really be ignored :S

EDIT: or most of the army i should say, before someone points out it isnt possible :P

MercuryLamp
08-02-2010, 18:26
Back in 6E, a guy in my league used to use 6 X 5 Savage Orc big uns with spears. Really tore up my units. ;P

Braugi
08-02-2010, 21:39
Sorry but any infantry Deathstar is not gonna do crap. Its to slow and easy for the enemy to just ignore. Unless that unit has shooting or magic that with force the enemy to engage it the Deathstar will be ignored. That is why the Deathstar has to have one or more of these qualities.

1. Speed
2. Ranged Attacks
3. Other Way to force the enemy to engage(Magic, Sieren Song other...)

What about a Chariot Deathstar?

Tomb King
Prince
Priest
Priest

2 Units of 5 Light Cav
23 Chariots w/ FC and Mirage Banner
4 Scorpions
Bone Giant

Basically the Prince and King use incantaions to charge then attack twice in combat and the priests rais what gets killed. Its kind of unweildy. Maybe a unit of 14 would be better. And split up the rest.

I disagree. A dwarven deathstar coupled with a few high end war machines can be effective. If the opponent comes after the war machines, the deathstar unit can charge. If they come after the deathstar, then I get the chance to win combat and get some points.

w3rm
09-02-2010, 07:37
Or I just shoot/magic the warmachines and ignore the dwarfs. Then I get 3 table quarters+ what I can get from warmachines and get a draw. Face it almost all Deathstars are a one-trick-pony save for the Shadestar.

angelusmortis1384
09-02-2010, 11:01
you say that now... sods law would dictate the senario would go the opposite way. and ive seen it happen many times, people talk a good fight, but dice rolls/terrain goes against them. you'd also have to take into account how wide the unit facing is, deployment, dispel dice yadda yadda... too many variables to try and take into account for without actually testing it.

EDIT: and by testing it, i mean physically testing it. as mathhammer doesnt take into account the variables of dice rolling on textured terrain :P

scarvet
10-02-2010, 08:06
Skink and Korxigor with Tehehauin, Tetto'eko, and 2 engines.

Acshel
10-02-2010, 15:36
Cauldron of blood with BSB and hydra banner, with as many assassins with manbane and rending stars as you can fit in there, probably around 7 in 2k.
The assassins will of course be deployed from small units of spears and witches, to keep costs down.

The MR(2) and randomize rules for warmachines should keep your assassins fairly safe against most enemies.

I'm actually considering trying this at some tournament :P

LordoftheBrassThrone
12-02-2010, 23:30
if the infantry deathstar is the entire army... it can't really be ignored :S

EDIT: or most of the army i should say, before someone points out it isnt possible :P

but in say a standard 2000pts pitched battle, using the extremely scary chaos chosen above, my all knight brett army would wipe out the remaining 615pts then claim loads more points for their banners if they have them, and even more for table quarters. Then I have fun easily outmanouvring the chosen so they never see combat, and have given away possibly 200/300pts in total, plus 1 table quarter the chosen can take. Major win for me methinks. :D

angelusmortis1384
13-02-2010, 00:11
but in say a standard 2000pts pitched battle, using the extremely scary chaos chosen above, my all knight brett army would wipe out the remaining 615pts then claim loads more points for their banners if they have them, and even more for table quarters. Then I have fun easily outmanouvring the chosen so they never see combat, and have given away possibly 200/300pts in total, plus 1 table quarter the chosen can take. Major win for me methinks. :D

lols but your using a french army... i win by default ^_^

Karrig stern
13-02-2010, 19:14
I like this funky Death-star, good against stuff with little if no armour, or hordes.

Get loads of giant rats (about 60 - 8 wide will do best) add Skweel Gnawtooth, hope for the extra attack from Skweel's special rule. Then lil bit of death frenzy and we have giant rats with 4 attacks each fighting in two ranks... Can you imagine a rat unit with 64 attacks PLUS the pack-masters and Skweel?

fun to play and great when it drops to bits and dies

GuyLeCheval
14-02-2010, 11:29
I saw a nice empire deathstar last game: 5 inner circle knights, Karl Franz on horse, Luthor Huss, another warrior priest on horse.

It charge a full 20 strong warrior unit, he owned the champion with Franz, had a insane overkill bonus and overran them..., into another warrior unit. Eactly the same happened...

w3rm
14-02-2010, 18:09
Horrorstar

Bloodthirster- 525
Obsidian Armour, Axe of Khorne

HoT- 145
Master of Sorcery

HoT- 145
Master of Sorcery

HoT- 235
BSB, Icon of Despair, Disc

40 Horrors- 525
FC, +1 cast banner

10 Horrors- 147
Standard, +1 cast banner

10 Horrors- 147
Standard, +1 cast banner

5 Flesh Hounds- 175

6 Flesh Hounds- 210

Total- 2254

Use the horrors to nuke any enemy and if you're immune to flaming attacks then the HoT who sit in the big Horror unit take another lore besides metal or fire. The BSB flies around with the BT and helps with terror bombing.

AMWOOD co
20-02-2010, 01:00
I saw the argument against infantry units, but I still feel this needs some input.
Black Orc Warboss, heavy armour, boar, shield, Battle Axe of the last Waaagh!
Black Orc Big Boss, battle standard, Morks Spirit Totem, heavy armour (on foot).
Night Goblin unit (at least 30) with full command and nets.

3 Extra Dispell dice from the banner, 3 extra attacks and strength from the sword, nets make the unit effectively T4 in combat and the characters T6. Also, it's cheap and core, so I can add more units of night gobbos, fanatics and artillery to make you come to me. The Warboss accepts challenges and the big boss hacks the enemy unit up (4 attacks @ S5 first round or 3 attacks @ S6).

Bagsack
20-02-2010, 16:21
60 Free company w.
Arch Lector w VHS, Sword of justice, Armour of Meteoric iron.
Captain w Rod of Command, pistol, full plate.
Captain w Icon of Magnus, pistol, full plate.
Captain w BSB Griffon Standard, full plate.

Ranked 15 wide. Lots of crappy (yet re-rollable) attacks to the front. They get double ranks, are unbreakable on first combat loss, immune to fear and have combat-pope.