PDA

View Full Version : Hordes of the Things (HOTT)

boomgoose
06-02-2006, 03:01
I tried a search of this forum, but came up empty. Does anyone play this game? I've had a copy of the second edition rules for a while and have finally decided to give it a go.

Now, how much fun is it? The rules seem simple enough, if a bit tough to read. I like the fact I can paint up a few 15mm armies in a month and get my friends involved. Any recommendations for places to purchase 15mm fantasy figures or premade armies here in the states?

Any opinions and thoughts would be appreciated.

Senbei
08-02-2006, 09:17
Never herad of it. Got a link ?

generulpoleaxe
08-02-2006, 12:00
the rules are based on the dbm/dba.

i found the warmaster ancient rules worked a lot nicer, just make your armies up using the points comparison for unit types from the back of the book and your away.

Chuffy
08-02-2006, 22:08
A lot of people I know are suddenly getting into it and thinking of crazy ideas like squidmen...

I've heard about it for a long time...however I've always been a bit wary of playing it, I'm not a huge fan of DBA/DBM (bloody action points). However the WMA idea does sound interesting.

Cpt. Drill
08-02-2006, 22:10
This is spooky... me and a group of my chums are all just getting into the game and then a post comes up!

Ker-azy!

I would like to give it ago.... but need to get some kind of low down on the rules...

The WMA idea could be good... but it will involve you having more of an 'army' than a rag tag bunch of things...

boomgoose
09-02-2006, 01:36
This is spooky... me and a group of my chums are all just getting into the game and then a post comes up!

Ker-azy!

I would like to give it ago.... but need to get some kind of low down on the rules...

The WMA idea could be good... but it will involve you having more of an 'army' than a rag tag bunch of things...

Exactly. My attraction to the game is the unlimited armies you could. You could paint up about 10 stand of figs per army, maybe 40-50 figures or so, and move on to the next one. I've already seen the standard fantasy armies (orcs, empires, elves, dwarves, etc.) and have also seen elephant men, arabians, aliens, rocks, gnomes, you name it.

I've found a company called "Demonworld" that makes some cool looking 15mm minis. They have lots of variety amongst troops, heroes, monsters and machines. Sadly, most troops are in large groups of 30 to 40 and the price is a little up there for my tastes. I'll keep scrounging.

Balseraph
09-02-2006, 14:12
Another good thing about the gaem is it's easier to make custom armies without accidentally erring on the side of cheesy.

Cpt. Drill
10-02-2006, 13:07
The main appeal of the game to me is the fact that you could have an army of romans... one game they are fighting gauls the next ww2 germans the next a wizard of oz themed army and then the next an army made from pasta!

I really like seeing peoples armys as they always have loads of personality!

stecal
11-02-2006, 00:56
I love it. You can collect quite a collection of unique, fun armies that won't break the bank. Play is quite fast - you can easily get thru 5-6 games in an afternoon.

boomgoose
11-02-2006, 19:18
Yeah, you can really bang out the armies. I started painting up an Orc horde on Thursday and already have about 20 orcs and 1 catapult done. I'm waiting on an Orc wyvern rider and a couple of bear riders, plus about 15 more orcs to finish an army. It is great fun and I can't wait to get started on my next one (Chaos).

Darwin_green
13-04-2006, 08:17
*resurrect dead thread*

anyhoo, I just got my copy of the rule book a while ago and I'm looking forward to converting my fellow gamers. I'll probobly be playing it in 25-28mm scale to start off with since most of my friends have warhammer fantasy armies.(though no one plays that any more)

I'll be converting my DOW(lots of blades) and my beastmen(even more warbands) into HOTT forces pretty soon for demos.

I'm not looking forward into making conversion charts for paces. Though I'm stoked about making some stronholds.

Darwin in the green

gathering_darkness
13-04-2006, 16:14
I have HOTT and several armies for it, i also play H Be Dragons the DBM equivalent, i really like the rules set

Darwin_green
15-04-2006, 09:43
I assembled two armies tonight and I was wondering if they would be balanced against each other.

Beastmen

hero-general -4
1 blades-2
3 warbands-6
2-beasts- 4
1- riders -2
2 hordes- 2
1 behemoth- 4
24pts

DOW

1-hero 4(can be general)
4 blades-8(can be general)
3- shooters- 6
1 sneakers-3
1 artillary-3

24pts

baphomael
18-04-2006, 12:33
HoTT seems like a really cool game...and the fact you can theme it on just about anything (Orcs vs Squidmen?!?)

But just a question to those who already play it...what should a steam-powered tank type thing count as?

boomgoose
29-04-2006, 00:42
Sounds like a Behemoth to me, which generally covers Dwarf tank-type things, large monsters, packs of trolls, giants, etc.

The game is afoot
22-02-2007, 05:28
DBM is a pretty dull game by any standards, playing it as 15mm Fantasy could spice it up for about... hmmmm.... 20 seconds or so.
I much prefer the swifter and more realistic DBA option.
The big advantage is that it can bring the 15mm Ancients players into the Fatasy genre.

Having played both systems over the years and Warmaster as well I have to say that none of those systems are a patch on the Armies of Arcana "Engine".
You can use any models you like, you can make up any stats you like for any creature or unit and the creature creation formula is in the rulebooks with 15 army lists as well.
ANY list is welcome, ANY monster etc and when it goes through the CCF it is balanced to everything else in the game system.
A no lose scenario.
The designer is on the AoA forum to answer any questions.
Tournies have started and it's 28mm friendly.
I's certainly a much cheaper cross over option as all your existing GW models are valid.