PDA

View Full Version : Mantic Miniatures Log by Llew

Llew
02-02-2010, 18:01
In the process of wanting to show off my neat, new skeletons from Mantic, I realized that I actually have quite a few pictures of the miniatures in process. It's almost enough to start a log. My miniature photography skills are awful, so I hope that I'll learn a bit about using my camera for such things as well.

So, the first thing I did, after posting a size comparison shot was think that it was unfair to have my gray plastic Mantic skellie sitting next to on of my painted ones from GW. So I set about painting it.

I started over the traditional white basecoat, then blocked in all the colors for the whole model. This including repainting the bones, which was a hair time-consuming.

After the colors were blocked in, I hit the whole figure with a watered-down wash of Vallejo Smoke and let it dry.

Then I picked out the details. Bone got recoated, leaving some outlines from the wash. (No secondary highlight.) The metal got a light drybrushing and the cloth got a two-stage highlight, although the first stage was VERY heavy, so very little of the washed-down blue showed through. That one looked like the pictures below.

I was pleased with the result, but I was setting myself up for about an hour per miniature, and that was more than I'd be able to easily get if I wanted to finish the unit in a reasonable time.

There's a size comparison so you can see the GW and Mantic painted skeletons side-by-side. As you can tell, the level of finish for my paint job is pretty similar for both.

Llew
02-02-2010, 18:11
The next part.

I realized that I needed to speed up my painting a bit. The first thing to go was the blocking in of all the areas. Being practical, washing the white basecoat was just as good as washing Ivory on the bones, so I could eliminate that. And I've already noted that my blue cloth stage is really heavy-handed. For all practical purposes, I could skip that too.

So this time around, I decided that the only thing I needed to block in was the metal. Everything else would get washed and the later coats would just have to serve.

I didn't take any photos of the post-wash stage. (I wish I had, because I was very tempted to just go with really, really grungy skeletons in dirty clothing. I liked the look.) But I have some of the other ranks with the metal re-highlighted and the bones painted.

I also decided that the wood was a bit pale in my previous incarnation, so I went with Vallejo Woodgrain wash directly over the spear shafts, wooden shield backs and a few other areas that I may keep as leather.

Darsc Zacal
03-02-2010, 02:31
Looking forward to following your painting log Llew.

I quite like the look of your skeletons in the shades of brown clothing, but I'm wondering how a whole army done in those colours would look. Could be a bit dull when placed down on the gaming table. Or are you planning to have variations between units?

Stupid question time - I'm not sure I quite understand what you mean when you use the term 'blocking'. Would you mind explaining?

mdiscala
03-02-2010, 02:46
Kind of reminds me of "army of darkness". Are you going to make a warhammer army out of them?

Llew
03-02-2010, 05:31
@Darsc

By 'blocking', I mean just doing the flat shades on the areas. So painting all the bone in Ivory, all the cloth in Prussian Blue, the wood items in Cork Brown, Gunmetal on the metal areas, etc. It's just a basic color to work on, but because I'm relying on the wash for a lot of lining, I don't have to be quite as precise as I would be on a finished model. In the end, it was much easier to skip that and just wash the white-primed model with the brown/black wash. Then, I wasn't being subtle enough with the wash for it to matter when it came time to highlight it.

And I agree that a lot of brown could get dull. I've got the command rank finished up already in blue, so these will definitely have some more color to them. But I may try to cheat with using more wash techniques when it comes to getting a full army of undead going. I have to see where the line is, for my personal taste, when it comes to the appearance on the table.

@mdiscala
It's very much AoD in feel, but that's really the sculptor's feel coming through. They did a great job capturing that feel, which is part of what appealed to me.

As far as using them for Warhammer, I probably won't. I'm not currently thrilled with the ruleset, even though I love the background and it still colors what I expect in a wargame. I may try the "Conqueror" rules that Commisar van Touissant (sp?) has posted on this site and see how they feel, or I may try to homebrew some rules to use with a WotR variant to try with my friends.

scarletsquig
03-02-2010, 06:34
Thanks for the comparison.. those look like much more fitting for use in fantasy than the elves.

Nice painting so far, too.

Llew
06-02-2010, 03:14
Okay...nothing fancy...just a bit of blue on, waiting to be highlighted. Occasionally I'll experiment a tad on some of these, so the colors may not be perfectly consistent. Also, in the interest of keeping duplicate models looking a hair different, without actually converting them, I occasionally paint over a bit of exposed bone or treat some hanging cloth as leather, etc.

I'll definitely have some touch up work to do soon.

Llew
09-02-2010, 05:03
And the highlight step.

As I look at them, I find myself wanting them to look worse. Not in terms of being painted worse, but I want the cloth in particular to look older and more faded and decrepit.

I can't decide if perhaps a thinly applied highlight of a warm grey (or greenish gray) on a few high points and areas prone to wear (like the edges of cloth) might work well to make them look aged and awful. I'm game for suggestions.

Darsc Zacal
09-02-2010, 15:51
I do think the blue needs to be toned down a bit. The highlight you mentioned might do the trick.

I know you've already applied a wash of smoke, but I'm wondering if a VERY light wash of a watered down brown might make the blue a little more worn and dirty looking.

I quite like the way your skeletons are progressing.:)

Llew
10-02-2010, 04:23
Thanks, Darsc. :) I'm definitely having fun with them.

Okay...here's a fairly heavy-handed green-tinged gray highlight...it definitely makes them look rougher. (And it looks better in person than in photo. It's pretty clear how bad my technique is when I get up close like this.)

So far I've only had the guts to try it on one rank, but I think I'll be going that way with the rest.

I think a light wash will help too.

Did a very-watered-down Gryphonne Sepia wash. I wanted the yellow and orangey tones to subdue the blue, dirty things up a bit and add a tint to the bones. I'll have to do some simple bright-white spot highlights on the bone later.

Darsc Zacal
10-02-2010, 05:06
The additional highlights really worked well on the clothing. They look much more worn now.

I can't be sure from the pictures, but have you highlighted the shields using the same colour as you used with the clothing? I ask because when a painted shield becomes chipped and worn, the metal or wood that the shield is made of becomes exposed. It wouldn't fade in the same way that cloth would.

Although I'll admit that sometimes painting everything in a realistic way doesn't always look the best on a mini.

Llew
10-02-2010, 17:10
Well having tried to use a metal shield, I've quickly decided that all shields should be of wood, and this would mean they would (often) be covered in leather. Where the shields were undetailed on the back, I've even done a bit of (bad) hand-graining.

So while I'm painting into the cuts with a tad of wood color, for simplicity and for sake of color consistency I've taken the idea that the blue-dyed leather facing would fade in a way similar to the cloth. I know this isn't true, but it's a short hand way to handle it. My usual painting style is "cartoony", so I'm not a fan of hyper realism. (I'm impressed when others can pull it off, but I like a certain amount of fakeness in my toys.)

Llew
12-02-2010, 02:50
Okay...all messed up and washed. As far as I can tell, the home stretch is coming in sight.

1) Retouch sloppy painting.
2) Paint all leather & highlight.
3) Spot highlights on bone.
4) Basing. (I'm keeping this very, very basic.)

If it weren't for time spent on photo setups and editing, I would have been easily done by now. With Valentine's coming up, I'm not likely to finish before next week though.

The Army Painter method that Mantic is showing on their site is looking more and more attractive. I'm happy with how these look, but the dip method makes for some pretty nice look minis for a *lot* less effort. I may have to pick up some of their products eventually.

I just hate spending any money on things other than miniatures.

Llew
18-02-2010, 06:12
Okay...here are some final shots.

Overall, I'm happy with the result, bearing in mind that they're meant to be looked at from 2 feet or so away. Any fault lies in the brush and not the mini, as far as I'm concerned.

I came back with some ivory highlights after the sepia wash to pick the bone out again. It gave me more depth and contour visually, although at times I wasn't consistent with choosing where to pick out the highlights.

After that, I hit the straps with a chocolate brown and highlighted them with cork. I only did very basic metal work and picked out the details. Eyes were done simply by painting the eyeball itself with a clean white, then hitting them with the old GW Blue Glaze which gave subtle color I liked.

If I were trying to improve these, I'd definitely spend more time on the wood tones. I went very basic with them. For the next unit I try, I'll work on improving that technique while still working quickly. That is, unless I decide to try dipping. I have about 20 hours worth of painting time in these...maybe a hair over. I definitely want to improve my speed to get a full army painted.

I need to go back and recoat the bases where I over-thinned the earthtone paint.

This unit was really fun to built and paint. I keep looking at the poses I chose and thinking that there were more I wanted to build. I definitely see more of these in my future.

I definitely think I want a better camera and studio set up before I do another painting log. It took me about as much time for painting and editing as it did for painting.

Darsc Zacal
18-02-2010, 07:16
Nicely done Llew. I think they look great. I can only hope mine will look near as good when I finally get them.

I like what you did for the eyes. In several of the pictures that blue glow effect really pops.

The clothing and armour look properly faded and worn. I take it the wood effects you mention would be the spearshafts and weapon handles? I'd imagine that they wouldn't be too difficult to come back to enhance should you decide it's needed.

Overall very well done. I like it.:D

I'm not a photographer by any means but I picked up this portable photo studio and lighting kit by Optex for less than $100 up here in Canada. It's designed for lighting small objects like miniatures. It's compact and folds into a compact carrying case. Link is below. Check it out.

http://www.gentec-intl.com/Default.asp?mode=prd&div_id=&prod_id=OSLKIT

Llew
18-02-2010, 13:33
Thanks for the kind words and for the info on the porta studio. I'm not sure I'm ready to spend more on non-miniatures yet, but it's good to know that's out there. I may very well end up with one some day if I make a habit of this. ;)

Re: the wood effects. Spearshafts, weapon handles are part of it, but the backs of the shields (which you can't really see in the photos) are the part that are bugging me. They've got some nicely-carved woodgrain detail on some of them, but I didn't do it justice. Some of that is just having let my drybrushes go the point of being pretty unusable and some of it is bad fine-lining technique on my part. It's not enough to hurt the overall appearance much, but I'm sure I can do it better with the right combo of tools, technique and color choices.

Llew
24-02-2010, 14:43
I just realized that I never mentioned the eye effect, which was pretty simple. I painted the "pupil" with a bright, gloss white, then I used the old GW Blue Glaze on it and the eye socket. It was a simple effect but it tied in nicely. If I hadn't already gone with blue, I might be tempted to try something similar with a bright green, or use a red wash.

Maybe when I pick up the revenants I'll try red on their eyes to set them apart further.

In the meantime, I expect miniatures to show up at my local store before long, so as soon as I can get another unit or two, I'll start painting. (Heck...I'm even thinking about trying my elves once I can decide on a color scheme.)

lord marcus
25-02-2010, 21:26
subbed llew. I look foward to watching your progress and I hope it is reciprocal.

Darsc Zacal
25-02-2010, 21:59
I just realized that I never mentioned the eye effect, which was pretty simple. I painted the "pupil" with a bright, gloss white, then I used the old GW Blue Glaze on it and the eye socket. It was a simple effect but it tied in nicely. If I hadn't already gone with blue, I might be tempted to try something similar with a bright green, or use a red wash.
Thanks for the tip with the white pupil. I'll be trying it out with my skeletons.:)

Maybe when I pick up the revenants I'll try red on their eyes to set them apart further.
Another excellent idea for distinguishing between units while still keeping the uniform colours consistent. I'll be stealing this idea for use in my army too.;)

lord marcus
26-02-2010, 03:23
mabe green instead of red? blue and green are both "cool" colors while red is a "warm" color.

Nightsword
26-02-2010, 19:05
They should get those on the mantic blog the lazy gits as soon as possible.

Tsk, what are they doing all day!

;)

Llew
26-02-2010, 21:42
@Nightsword: Probably shipping out miniatures. At least, so I hope. ;)

@Lord Marcus: There's lots of possibilities for the eye effect to be a subtle tie throughout the army, no matter which colors you want to go with. I just tend not to like blue and green together, but that doesn't mean I won't try it. Probably an acid-green though more than a dark one.

Also, I tend to not subscribe to threads - not intentionally at least -- but I've been watching for your Bone Legions of the South. At least I thought that was yours. The main reason I don't usually subscribe is that I just figured out about subscriptions about 1 week back, and I never think to check on them. I go by the, "Oh...yeah...I almost forgot about that thread." method. ;)

orlanth1000
26-02-2010, 22:26
Nice work mate, count me subscribed...will have a good look through when my kids aren't attacking me

lord marcus
27-02-2010, 02:29
@Nightsword: Probably shipping out miniatures. At least, so I hope. ;)

@Lord Marcus: There's lots of possibilities for the eye effect to be a subtle tie throughout the army, no matter which colors you want to go with. I just tend not to like blue and green together, but that doesn't mean I won't try it. Probably an acid-green though more than a dark one.

Also, I tend to not subscribe to threads - not intentionally at least -- but I've been watching for your Bone Legions of the South. At least I thought that was yours. The main reason I don't usually subscribe is that I just figured out about subscriptions about 1 week back, and I never think to check on them. I go by the, "Oh...yeah...I almost forgot about that thread." method. ;)

Right. No problems then mate. The bone legions thread IS mine. secondly, i was also thinking more of a scorpion/acid green then, say, a dark angels green too.

orlanth1000
27-02-2010, 05:51
Hey Llew,

I have had a good look through now, loving the toned down blue.
The first pics, without the wash looked a bit new clothing wise for dead things.

Whats the GW version of the Smokey wash you were talking about?

Now I have seen your unit fully ranked and painted, I am sort of getting an old school feel to these models, which is something I love.

I have a bucket load of old Grenadier undead and other things still waiting to be painted.
They will stay in my collection as I loving dipping into the past, and these models give me that " feel like an old friend I haven't seen for ages " thing.

Great work mate, can't wait to see the rest of your army.

Llew
27-02-2010, 12:28
Thanks for the kind words. I can't wait till my FLGS starts getting the rest of my army. ;)

The Vallejo Smoke wash is a dark brown. THIS IS WRONG<I'd probably mix GW Devlan Mud and Badab Black somewhere around 3:1 or 2:1 respectively to try to get something similar.>

I forgot about those old Grenadier skeletons. Way back when I painted 'em up, and they were the first ones I bought that I thought looked really cool. I had given them away to a friend. I may have to see if he's not using them and work them in as unit expansions.

<>Apparently, I had been using a severely watered-down Devlan Mud. I vaguely recall having done this last year for some general light washing. The Vallejo Smoke is actually a richer brown than the Devlan Mud, with a more earthy tone - a lot more reddish and orange-ish tones. Devlan Mud is a very flat, nearly atonal brown. Maybe going Devlan Mud with Gryphonne Sepia about 1:1 or 1:2 would be closer. I still prefer the color of the Vallejo Smoke, but the Devlan Mud is a much smoother, better-finishing wash. Since I paint over everything but the deepest shades, the finish quality doesn't bother me.

orlanth1000
27-02-2010, 15:08
My undead army, which is my next evil army project is going consist of Mantic,GW and grenadier.....lucky I'm not one of those people worried about my models all being the same scale or I would be really stuffed with my massive empire army which has models from almost the dawn of man...........

orlanth1000
27-02-2010, 15:09
Oh and thanks for the wash mix...:)

Llew
28-02-2010, 07:51
Happy to oblige. :)

Now, as I'm waiting for my FLGS to start getting more undead in, I figured it's time to at least get some ideas for my elves. At the very least, I can see happily using them alongside my WotR miniatures.

My first problem was that I liked gold armor for them. The only problem? How do you have sneaky scout guys wearing gold? So I wanted to figure out how to paint a gold-armored elven force that still is vaguely believeable. I needed to compare a regular trooper against a scout.

For both, I started with a white primer, then did a wash of Vallejo Brown Violet. (I have no idea why it's called that. It looks olivish.) I could also use a coat of Catachan Green for a similar effect, although the colors are different. Basically, I wanted a subdued green tone to work over to help the bronze and gold metals cover.

Then I handled the armor in two different ways. For trooper, I painted on a solid coat of Vallejo Old Gold. For the scout, I did a loose, light drybrush of Bronze. I watered the drybrush down slightly for the scout so that the metallic pigment might spread a bit further than normal, but not cover as densely.

I washed both with GW Devlan Mud. (The trooper got a second wash, as I didn't apply it heavily enough the first time.) Then, I picked out highlights with Old Gold on the trooper with regular highlighting techniques - straight old fine brush stuff. For the scout, I heavily thinned the Old Gold, then did a very light drybrush, only hoping for the barest of highlights.

The pictures show the difference in contrast. While the scout doesn't stand up well to close scrutiny, on the tabletop the effect is what I'm hoping for: he clearly looks like he'd belong in the same army as the trooper, but his armor is much more subdued.

lord marcus
28-02-2010, 16:27
they both look good either way! if you've seen my elves I used bronze for the armor and it worked fine!

Llew
09-03-2010, 15:27
So, I finally got some time to start assembling my next batch of skeletons. I had a lot of fun with the first ones, and these were just as much fun. I wanted to see how much I could get out of the kit, so I did some basic conversions. Some weapon swaps, arm swaps, using torsos on the 'wrong' legs, etc. I'm not a mega-modeller, so there's nothing extreme here, but there are a lot of different looks.

In this rank, from left to right, #1 has an arm swap which allowed for a more dynamic pose, and #4 has a headswap.

Llew
09-03-2010, 15:33
On these, we have the following mods.

#1 & #2 are weapon swaps. #3 is an arm swap. #4 is a torso/leg mismatch.

Llew
09-03-2010, 15:39
On the third rank we have:

#1 and #3 are arm swaps and #5 is a torso/leg mismatch.

Llew
09-03-2010, 15:50
And in the fourth rank...

I think it's#2 as a weapon swap, #3 as an arm swap and #5 as a torso/leg mismatch.

Overall, I'm really pleased with the number of different skeletons I've been able to make without a lot of time or intense modelling skill. It's a fun kit, although I have to think that I'm pretty close to running out of ideas if I were trying to make a 3rd unit not duplicate anything I'd done before. (This would be easy enough with the "command" style models with the variable torsos, but the complete torsos would get harder to do a lot more with.)

That's the biggest knock I have against the kit, and that's a minor one for me. All it's made me do so far is get excited about seeing the Revenants and Ghouls in person.

lord marcus
03-04-2010, 07:05
Then you can mix and match from the revanents and the skellies to make a third skellie unit!

anyway, good to see your log getting a bit of traffic Llew (Considering I'm the only one posting in my mantic undead blog)

Llew
05-04-2010, 03:03
So, for the first time in ages I've gotten some decent time for doing a little painting. I wanted to do a unit of skeletons that will blend nicely with my first, but won't be exactly the same. To this end I've done 2 main things.

First, is the easiest: I've decided to go with a weathered half blue/half black field on the shields instead of just blue.

Second, I've decided to treat the weathered metal differently. Whereas I went for a dark, slightly dirty look on the armor, this time I wanted to go with a more aggressive rust effect. I did this because I thought it might be a tad more "realistic" and also because I thought the orange of the rust would be a nice contrast to the blue of the surcoats as the colors are complimentary.

For the rust, I used Vallejo Light Orange in a very thin wash, applied liberally to all metal over a basecoat of Vallejo Gunmetal Gray and Vallejo Silver mixed about 50/50 to give a brighter basecoat. All other washing techniques remain the same.

Nightsword
05-04-2010, 13:51
I like a lot, very characterful!

Just finishing off my ghouls myself, and I've got some Elves too - finally joining the party!

Da Eavy
09-04-2010, 02:16
These look fantastic!
Congratulations are in order!
Great work Llew, these should be in the Masters gallery on Mantics site!

Llew
09-04-2010, 03:55
Thanks for the kind words, 'Eavy. :) I appreciate them, but I've seen the guys they have painting their masters stuff. It's a sight more impressive than what I'm doing.

But...here's the first rank finished up for the new unit of skeletons. Overall, I'm happy with them. Bases are slightly (slightly) more detailed. There's a subtle change in the field on the shield and a more rusted armor effect. As I may have mentioned, I'm tempted to blend the two units to have a less uniform unit, while still retaining a coherent look.

Darsc Zacal
09-04-2010, 05:11
As I've told you before Llew, I think your stuff is great! For me, tabletop gaming is all about visual appeal, and this army certainly has that in spades.:)

You really should submit some pics to Mantic.

orlanth1000
09-04-2010, 07:43
So, for the first time in ages I've gotten some decent time for doing a little painting. I wanted to do a unit of skeletons that will blend nicely with my first, but won't be exactly the same. To this end I've done 2 main things.

I hear you brother, I'm getting to my war room ( thanks Marcus :D ), at about 8 every night so I'm getting in a few hours which is great.
Love the contrast of the blue and rust...awesome.

[QUOTE=Darsc Zacal;4559218]As I've told you before Llew, I think your stuff is great! For me, tabletop gaming is all about visual appeal, and this army certainly has that in spades.:)

You really should submit some pics to Mantic.

^ What he says :)

Llew
09-04-2010, 15:22
Thanks again, guys.

Okay...I finally got off my duff and submitted some decent res photos of these to Mantic, so we'll see if they make it to the Open Gallery there or not. Sure would be handy if we knew someone there who could keep an eye out. ;)

Llew
10-04-2010, 05:01
The next rank is complete and ready for show. Slowly but surely I'm getting my second unit done.

lord marcus
10-04-2010, 05:26
Nightsword is holding the photos until he has a decent sized folders worth to put up I think.

mousekiller
10-04-2010, 17:40
This is great mate, and thanks for introducing me to yet ANOTHER miniature company that is producing some great miniatures.

Nightsword
10-04-2010, 21:38
Nightsword is holding the photos until he has a decent sized folders worth to put up I think.

*winks and makes stranging clicking sounds*

I believe said folder was sent to the Nohr for editting ;)

Bladelord
18-04-2010, 21:44
Some great skeletons you're amassing! I like the paint scheme. :)

I bought two boxes of skeletons from Mantic, and oi! They're brilliant. (The elves are too thin for me, otherwise they'd have come on my shopping list as well.) The best with it, is the sheer speed I got through with on them. I notice you carefully highlights your skellies - to great effect - but I'll drop a (for me) time saving recipe, using GW colours, just in case you want to test it out:

-Paint the whole skeleton with Calthan Brown (if some Chaos Black is mixed in, it's a bonus).

-Paint the armour Boltgun Metal, sword handles and shiny bitz Dwarf Bronze.

-Paint the cloth Mordian Blue, and drybrush the spear handles lightly with Catachan Green and Graveyard Earth.

-Drubrush all the bone (and straps and shield backsides) Graveyard Earth. Ignore what spills over on other areas. Then drybrush Bleached Bone (or Kommando Khaki), and finally - and more carefully - Skull White.

-Correct the spilling-overs on the armour with Mithril Silver and Shinding Gold, and the worst spillings on the blue, with thinned-down Mordian Blue. Continue with drybrushing Mithril Silver on the relevant areas, carefully. Then add spots of thinned down Fiery Orange to the metal, for rust. Wash the bronze parts with thinned-down Jade Green or Hawk Turqoise.

-Now wash the blue cloth with Asumen Blue; the Graveyard Earth-Bleached Bone-Skull White that got on it acts as a highlight beneath the blue wash. Correct with Graveyard Earth if/where the blue wash spills over.

-Wash the rest of the model in Devlan Mudd; all of it - except the blue, and if the blue is browned at places, that's all well and good.

-Pick out some final details, such as eyes.

That leaves at least me with a satisfied and surprisingly quickly painted skeleton, just to share a little tip. But it cannot compete with your less heavily shaded skellies. ;)

Llew
19-04-2010, 19:24
Sounds like a good technique. (I'd love to see some pics -- I always like to see how the finals turn out. There are always good tips to be picked up from other painters.) Thanks for checking out the log here, and thanks for the suggestions. If things keep up, I'm going to need to figure out how to paint mine faster.

strewart
10-05-2010, 16:21
Hey mate, just followed the link in your sig and checked this out. Really like the effect you have achieved on the blue cloth! Great work, looking good so far.

Llew
10-05-2010, 20:22
Thanks! Just 10 more to go. Now that I've finished off my first Uncharted Seas fleet, I may be able to get fired up and finish. Then I can build my Revenants and Ghouls. Then it's time to buy more stuff.

Llew
27-05-2010, 03:16
At last, I finally got time to paint. First, the third rank of my second unit.

Llew
27-05-2010, 03:17
And then, Rank 4 of my second unit of skeletons.

Llew
27-05-2010, 03:20
And finally the whole second unit put completely together.

Now, on to my Revenants and Ghouls and Balefire Catapults. Man, I have a lot to do before the dwarves arrive!

Bladelord
27-05-2010, 08:11
I see my post here earlier must have disappeared. I've not found my digital camera (it must've been eaten by the house), so no pictures I'm afraid. Of course, without pictures the technique isn't too much to be trusted, unless you try it nevertheless. ;)

Besides, a great little unit of skellies you've amassed! Will you add a tattered banner to the standard bearer?

Llew
27-05-2010, 14:18
(I've actually been watching for a post showing your technique in action, because it sounded good, but haven't seen anything show up yet.)

I'll do some sort of banner down the road. Right now, I haven't settled on how I want to do them. In the past, I'd just do paper, but I'm tired of that look -- it doesn't mesh well with the minis and it looks like...well...paper.

I'm thinking of trying my hand at greenstuffing some, but I don't have any practical techniques for it yet and haven't had the time to just sit down and mess with it for a while.

Da Eavy
27-05-2010, 21:45
Great work there Llew. I hope mine turn out half as good as yours even if they take me more than twice as long to paint.
I'm going purple with the eyes on mine. Using the same technique as you.
Good stuff!
Can't wait to see your Dwarves *nudge nudge* ;)

A thought I was toying with for the banner was actually using some very fine ribbon. Just a thought...

logan054
27-05-2010, 22:31
That skeleton regiment is looking great, great to see more Mantic stuff painted really well!

Chicken Pig
11-06-2010, 22:59
These are indeed great work. It is also nice to see the variety that you have created between the units. My personal favourite is the Skelly in the third rank of your second unit with the hand scthye, he screams a kindof "come and have a go" attitude.

Cannot wait to see your other Mantic work.

Schmapdi
12-06-2010, 02:29
(I've actually been watching for a post showing your technique in action, because it sounded good, but haven't seen anything show up yet.)

I'll do some sort of banner down the road. Right now, I haven't settled on how I want to do them. In the past, I'd just do paper, but I'm tired of that look -- it doesn't mesh well with the minis and it looks like...well...paper.

I'm thinking of trying my hand at greenstuffing some, but I don't have any practical techniques for it yet and haven't had the time to just sit down and mess with it for a while.

Not that mine is all that great - but I recently made my first greenstuff banner (for gnoblars) and it was actually pretty darn easy.

Just take some green stuff and roll it out fairly thin, I used my knife handle like a rolling pin. Do it on some wax paper and use a little oil (I used mineral oil, but any cooking grade oil would do fine too I imagine) to keep it from sticking. Just make the basic shape (a square/rectangle whatever) and then let it it set up 20 minutes or so to stiffen. After it does carefully shape the folds (I used pens to help keep the shapes) and carefully tatter the end with your knife.

Let it set up completely, wash it carefully and wala. It would look weird for a professional soldier, but for the undead or goblins or other crappy troops, its shabby appearance is a plus :)

Here's mine.
http://www.dakkadakka.com/gallery/112318-.html?m=2

gaarew
02-08-2010, 19:12
Great stuff Llew, these are gonna look the business in bulk.

Daemonslave
02-08-2010, 19:35
Would you start the ghouls next? I'm thinking about getting some and would like to see some of the poses and a nice paintjob.

Nice skellies by the way, I thought the blue was a bit much to start off with but after toning it down somewhat it looks really good, plus I love the glowing eyes each one has. I wasn't that sure about Mantic after I first saw their Elves (I personally don't like them) but their undead range looks quite good (can't wait for the zombies).

Brrraaaaiiiiiinnnnnzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!

Llew
02-08-2010, 20:27
Oddly enough, I just started painting ghouls yesterday. I'm not too far along, so I'll try to get some photos to put up.

Llew
03-08-2010, 02:40
Okay...I've finally started on my ghouls. Most of my painting time has been devoured by a 3-year old who has decided that 10 or 11 PM is a more perfect bedtime for him.

I painted up a ghoul for my FLGS as a demo, and went with the really grey-green, incredibly undead look on that guy. He painted up really quickly and nicely, but I wanted to try something different for my ghouls.

I started over a white primer. I mixed a blend of about 60% GW Astronomicon Grey foundation paint with 40% P3 Ryn Flesh and applied that to all the flesh parts of the models. I didn't worry about keeping it neat, as I'll paint the cloth later.

Once that was dry, I mixed up a thin wash out of GW Baal Red and Asurmen Blue in about a 70/30 mix, then cut that with about 1/3 water. (I probably could have gotten by just using the Leviathan Purple, but I wanted to be all "edgey" and do a custom mix. ;) ) I coated the flesh heavily with the thinned wash, and let it dry. Then I came back with a really wide drybrush and the P3 Ryn Flesh again to get a rough, sloppy initial highlight.

Next stage should be the first blocking of the cloth followed by a unifying wash, most likely of Devlan Mud. (I may add a bit of purple or red to it to keep the slightly sickly tone I'm aiming at.

Darsc Zacal
03-08-2010, 02:46
You know I'm a fan of your work Llew, but I don't think the purple wash works with the base skin tone you're using. IMO.

Llew
03-08-2010, 02:50
Patience, grasshopper. ;) All you're seeing is little more than a basecoat right now.

I'm going for something along the lines of a pale, unhealthy bruise for their overall flesh look. I'm not guaranteeing it'll turn out, mind you. But I have a final product in mind.

gaarew
03-08-2010, 07:30
Patience, grasshopper. ;) All you're seeing is little more than a basecoat right now.

I'm going for something along the lines of a pale, unhealthy bruise for their overall flesh look. I'm not guaranteeing it'll turn out, mind you. But I have a final product in mind.

Funnily enough, I just started my Ghouls the other day. Although, I took the lazy option and washed them with Levi Purple over the flesh tone...

;)

Daemonslave
03-08-2010, 10:57
Hmmm, I'm not so sure about the purple wash, but let's see what it comes out like.

Quite a good variety on the models, how many different types are there in each box?

Llew
03-08-2010, 12:57
There are two sets of legs, two sets of torso, 3 heads, two right-hand weapons (claw & cleaver) and one left-hand weapon (dagger.) There's also a bag of body parts they can carry around on their back or hip.

I think 2 more heads and two more additional hands would have made this kit absolutely perfect. As it is, you can still get a lot of variety out of it.

I got my cloth painted and a Devlan Mud wash on everything...will probably re-highlight the flesh, hit with a purple wash again, then do final highlights and detailing. I can probably get the next pics up on Wednesday night.

Llew
04-08-2010, 05:10
Okay...next phase is up. As ghouls are an unorganized rabble, I wanted that to come through in their appearance so I used a variety of colors of tunics. I'll have to try to unify them with some fading techniques later like the ones I used on the skellies. That way, they'll look like they belong in the same army. At least that's my hope and my intent.

For now, I basecoated the cloth, then hit the entire model with a wash of Devlan Mud. This is pretty standard stuff. I hit it heavily with undiluted wash.

orlanth1000
04-08-2010, 05:26
Hey Llew when are getting an update please mate? , ( and terrain to thanks :) ).

strewart
04-08-2010, 05:43
Ahh I didn't want to comment before because my thoughts were the same as Darsc but I knew they were WiP. Now they are looking great! I think the ragtag clothes will look fine and you can use the skin-tone as a way to unify the unit. Not all units need to look like they were dressed by the same person anyway, I'd say ghouls least of all.

I look forward to seeing further updates!

Llew
04-08-2010, 15:43
I'm hoping to do more ghoul-work tonight. I got the front rank rehighlighted on the skin tone, then rewashed with thin purple/red ink, then got a few more rehighlighted.

I may try to post a series...a mini from the last stage, followed by the next stage up, followed by the next flesh highlight. (There's probably one more stage after that for final highlights.)

As far as the terrain goes, I'm waiting until I actually get some new Mantic dwarves so I can build the gun decks to the right height. (Hopefully, I'll pick some up at Gen Con if they have any. If not, then I'll just lurk around the booth and whine about the fact that they didn't bring dwarves.) ;)

Chicken Pig
04-08-2010, 18:33
Great work on the Ghouls there Llew, I planned to do different coloured tunics on my Ghouls, but have thus far been too lazy. I like the purple wash at the start, adds a quite spooky hue to the finished models.

Along with the likes of Logan's log it is great to see more Mantic logs up and around.

Llew
04-08-2010, 19:39
Okay...just to set some questions to rest, I've got a skin comparison that shows the most recent stages on some ghouls.

From left to right we have 4 stages.

Stage 1 is right after the Devlan Mud wash was dry.

Stage 2 is a re-highlight with Ryn Flesh, followed by a watered down wash made of 75% Leviathan Purple and 25% Baal Red. I cut the mix by about half with water to thin it out.

Stage 3 is the next highlight with Ryn Flesh again.

Stage 4 is the finished stage with a mix of Ryn Flesh and White, in about a 50/50 mix. I thinned this down to the consistency of skim milk so I could get a bit lazy with building up the highest points.

While there are interesting things to see if you get right down on top of the mini, it looks more like a Monet at that level. I've aimed at having these viewed on the table from about 3 or so feet away. For that reason, they have high contrasts.

The one thing I've learned so far is that I could have skipped any washing before the Devlan Mud. It overwhelmed what was there, but the later, thinner washes played well with it.

orlanth1000
04-08-2010, 21:44
Yeah Darsc, see what patience brings? :p

Love it Llew, your on fire with these great models :cool:

zachattack46
05-08-2010, 00:11
are mantic miniatures generally accepted in wfb games?

Llew
05-08-2010, 00:49
If you game in a GW store or at official GW tournaments, they won't be. If you game anywhere else, they should be, unless people are kind of...well...jerkish.

Soon (October, public beta coming sooner), Mantic will have their own miniatures game and they have no prohibition against using other companies' miniatures with it. Plus, they'll be giving the rules away for free.

strewart
05-08-2010, 04:38
The final skin tone is a bit paler than I imagined it would be, but still looks really good. Great work!

Darsc Zacal
05-08-2010, 05:03
Yeah Darsc, see what patience brings? :p

Love it Llew, your on fire with these great models :cool:

Yeah yeah yeah. Nicely done Llew. Definately better with the purple toned down.:)

Not to be a negative Nancy here, or a big girl, but I don't think you've hit on the best look for the ghouls. I'm not sure I've seen the ideal paintjob for them yet.:eyebrows:

But they are very nicely done, as always.:D

orlanth1000
05-08-2010, 14:06
Seriously, you have been a bigger girl than usual lately :D

Llew
05-08-2010, 14:19
Sure, sure, you John Astin wannabe. ;) (Google it if need be.)

Most people tend towards very undead-ish flesh on ghouls. (The sample I did for my FLGS was much more along this line...dark grey/green flesh.) I've taken the tack that ghouls are: 1) hovering on the border between life and undeath, 2) created from depraved humans who have been dining on corpses, and 3) their dining habits probably encouraged a lot of night skulking, so they didn't get much sunlight.

So one way to demonstrate this is to keep them really pale and unhealthy looking. (Another way might be with some subtle green washes, but I thought the purple wash would tie in better with my blue-clad skellies.) The other plus side is that they'll be instantly distinguishable from zombies which will go to the grey/green rotted flesh look.

I probably should have cut all the flesh with a little grey just to keep the tone off a bit and make them look even more unliving, but some things you see only in hindsight.

gaarew
06-08-2010, 13:00
I think you are taking the right route with the Ghouls Llew. I've always considered them as the not dead Undead. They are cannibals and scavengers, not reanimated corpse, so should still have an (un)healthy glow about them.

Darsc Zacal
06-08-2010, 18:18
Sure, sure, you John Astin wannabe. ;) (Google it if need be.).

Ouch. That hurt Llew.

No need to google. I remember the actor and understand the reference. And just for the record you're wrong. If I were to aspire to be anyone it would be Herman Munster cause at least he had a sense of humour and knew how to laugh.;)

For the ghouls I was thinking of a more jaundiced, yellowish look. I haven't seen that done yet. I think it would give them a look different from both the normal living and undead.

Llew
06-08-2010, 18:34
I think the yellow would look great, but I had to do something so they'd still coordinate with my bluish skellies. If I'd done my skeletons in purple, I would have aimed for a yellowish cast as those would compliment nicely. (And for the record, the yellowed tones washed with purple and rehighlighted would probably work well, since those colors would tend to "gray" each other out a bit visually.)

I may have to try that on my last demo model for my FLGS.

orlanth1000
06-08-2010, 23:52
Ouch. That hurt Llew.

No need to google. I remember the actor and understand the reference. And just for the record you're wrong. If I were to aspire to be anyone it would be Herman Munster cause at least he had a sense of humour and knew how to laugh.;)

For the ghouls I was thinking of a more jaundiced, yellowish look. I haven't seen that done yet. I think it would give them a look different from both the normal living and undead.

Goodness gracious me, that was a low blow, but still really funny though :D

Llew
07-08-2010, 04:37
Most funny stuff is mean. ;)

Okay...we have two things up. I have a pair of ghouls, one done in the pale, sickly flesh I was going for, and another in a jaundiced look as suggested by Darsc. I actually liked the jaundiced look a lot better than I expected, but I think they'd look wierd in my army. Maybe it's a good option to blend various unhealthy looks though.

I've already detailed the pale flesh in earlier posts. I will suggest that you give a look at the sky blue that was on his tunic originally, and the final look. I duplicated the highlight and wash technique from my skellies to get the really weathered-out appearance. (The only difference being that only the cloth got washed on that one...the flesh was left alone.)

For the jaundiced look, I started with the Tallarn Flesh, washed with the purple mixture. Then, I did a heavy highlight with Vallejo Yellow Ochre mixed with a bit of P3 Ryn Flesh. Then I did a mid highlight with a mix of the Ryn Flesh and Vallejo Ice Yellow. Final highlights were the Ice Yellow mixed with white. When I was done, the entire model got a thinned down wash (half wash, half water) of Gryphonne Sepia and GW Yellow Ink (from way, way back) mixed about 60/40.

On both models, I used a bit of thinned red paint around the eye sockets before painting the eyes. Ol' Jaundy got Ice Yellow eyes, while the pale one got plain old white.

Darsc Zacal
07-08-2010, 04:56
Impressive Llew. That's very much what I had in mind. Perhaps a slightly more intense yellow than expected, but it's helped confirm that is the direction I want my ghouls to go in.:)

I doubt I'll be able to duplicate your exact formula, but I should be able to come up with something close.

The fact that you were able to implement my idea so quickly, in 10 hours or less, hurts more than your John Astin comment earlier.:(;)

Time to get my painting butt in gear.:eyebrows:

strewart
07-08-2010, 08:03
Wow both schemes look awesome, I really like the idea of the red around the eyes. Great work Llew!

Llew
01-09-2010, 22:19
Okay...my first dwarf...in my test color scheme. I think I'll go with it. It should look good faced off against my undead. (I say this mainly because our rival sports teams in state wear red and blue, so it's natural to seem them across from each other.)

I'll go into some more detail about the painting later. For now, I just wanted to get one done. The work is fairly sloppy, as you can see some ink splatters and areas on the shield where I over-thinned the black. Overall, the tabletop effect looks okay though.

gaarew
01-09-2010, 22:39
Sloppy? Sloppy? Dammit Llew, I'd love to see something you took your time over.

Actually, these have been out a while, and you have been quiet on the painting front...

Rally like the shield design.

Da Eavy
01-09-2010, 23:19
Man! He looks great! A proper colour too! ;)
Also loving the freehand iconography!
I'd still like him even without the axe!
Well done to you!

mrtn
02-09-2010, 01:28
Nice dwarf.
:)

orlanth1000
02-09-2010, 01:36
Awesome, love the shield.

Darsc Zacal
02-09-2010, 01:42
So THAT'S what one of these miniatures looks like painted.;)

Very nicely done Llew! A worthy followup to your undead.:cool:

Between you and gaarew, you're really inspiring me, in gaarew's case shaming me, into getting my own brushes into gear.

Llew
02-09-2010, 04:11
Thanks, guys. I appreciate the kind words. I figure that guy has about 2 hours of work in him. A lot of that is thinking of the next stage though.

I started by doing the flesh all in P3 colors. Basecoat of Khardic Flesh, highlighted with Midlund Flesh, highlighted with Ryn Flesh, then washed with GW Ogryn Flesh and a final highlight of Ryn Flesh.

The red cloth is GW Mechrite Red, washed with thinned (50/50) P3 Brown Ink. Main red tone is Vallejo Flat Red, followed with Vallejo Red, then touches of thin Vallejo Dark Orange for the highest highlights.

Leather is painted with Vallejo black, highlighted with over-thinned Vallejo Deep Sea Gray and washed with GW Badab Black. The same colors were used on the shield device, less the Badab Black.

Steel armor was done with Vallejo Gunmetal Gray, highlighted with GW Chainmail, washed with old GW Armor wash. (I'll probably use Badab on other models.) Then a final highlight of Vallejo Silver.

Funky01chef
02-09-2010, 12:24
Loving your Ghouls, makes me want to get my regiment that arrived on my desk today home and started :) can't wait to see your unit ranked up.

Was wondering if you could tell me how many spear armed skelli's from one of the 10 model rank and file kits?

Da Eavy
12-10-2010, 16:50
Loving your Ghouls, makes me want to get my regiment that arrived on my desk today home and started :) can't wait to see your unit ranked up.

Was wondering if you could tell me how many spear armed skelli's from one of the 10 model rank and file kits?

You can get 7 guys with spears off a single troop sprue without any trouble at all. If you are taking a command group this will help your numbers.
You will get 9 out of a troop sprue with very simple snip and stick kitbashing.
The only problem you might have is getting number 10. There is one torso that has an axe held close to the body. With 2 troop sprues or a regiment (20) you will easily get a troop of 10 armed with spears and a troop of 10 with other hand weapons.
There are 7 whole spears and one half on each sprue.
Hope that helps.

Llew
12-10-2010, 18:02
Actually, that axe guy is very simple to convert to a spear if you have a pin vise. You can clip/cut away the axe head with a hobby knife, then drill out the haft. It takes a spear very well. (I actually did that on one of my skellies in the second batch.)

Go to post #51. He's the guy on the far right side of the line as you look at the picture.

Gods, I can't wait till I'm done building my son's playroom and doing stuff for his birthday party. I have a ton of minis I need to get built and painted. And more keep coming.

Funky01chef
12-10-2010, 23:51
Cheers guys

I've got a command sprue of the skelis coming that I ordered in the open day sale this weekend, so when they turn up i'll have a play with them :)

I don't want them on thier own so much at the moment as to bulk out a unit of gw skelies i'v already got (I understand they dont mix too well, but for the time being I dont mind, and eventually I'll replace the unit with all mantic models)

Da Eavy
13-10-2010, 00:28
@Funky01chef Let us know how it goes!
@Llew Good luck with that! When building playroom reserve corner for painting station ;)
You did a great job on that axe skellie! Aside from the fact you took his axe away he looks great!
I guess I found the prospect daunting for more personal reasons :D

Llew
08-01-2011, 07:58
The basement is done. The unpacking from storage is partially done. But more importantly, for the first time in ages, I have painted miniatures to post!

First, a few shots of my command rank for my Shieldbreakers.

Llew
08-01-2011, 07:59
I also have some Ironclad Hammerers.

Llew
08-01-2011, 08:01
And finally, my Ironclad Axedwarves I refer to as my Dren Guard. I'm working on a bit of fluff about them. When done, they'll be a unit equipped only with axes, which can require a bit of conversion.

It's fiddly work, and the overall change in appearance isn't as satisfying as I hoped, but at least I have an entire regiment with axes!

Darsc Zacal
08-01-2011, 08:51
Great job Llew. Nicely done on the horn and the shields. Very characterful. Very brave of you for daring to paint their gloves white, but I think you made it work.

Robert
08-01-2011, 15:01
I agree with Darsc, the white gloves look great, as do all the models.

I really like your idea of having a unit of just axes! I just might steal that :shifty:

Llew
08-01-2011, 17:38
I didn't realize until I finished the first one, that apparently I wanted to play Khador Dwarves. I like the reds and greys together though.

And feel free to steal the axe unit, but you have to throw credit for the idea to Da 'Eavy. It's his fault I thought to try it, with his endless ramblings about axes being the only proper weapon for a dwarf.

gaarew
09-01-2011, 07:50
Good stuff Llew, don't envy all that freehand on the shields.

I see you are other one that uses the banners upside down, must admit, the look is growing on me.

Llew
09-01-2011, 14:13
I didn't really think about it. I just figured you'd want to be able to plant a banner firmly, and the spike seemed better for that than the finial knob. Plus, you can't really one-hand a heavy five-foot stick for terribly long without having the wrist strength of a long-time confirmed bachelor. So "upside down" just made more sense to me.

As far as the shields go, the freehand icon takes less time than any phase other than the basecoating. Just edging the shields takes about 3 times longer, so I don't find that to be too troublesome.

Llew
25-01-2011, 06:07
And, trying to keep up what is (for me) a blistering pace this year, I present my Ironwatch Rifle Troop.

The missile units do not get the red mantle that is reserved for melee units. Similarly, the Campaigner Cloaks are grey as well, instead of the red used for the melee units.

Llew
25-01-2011, 06:09
And also the Ironwatch Crossbow Troop.

Note that the Champion wears both the red mantle and Campaigner's Cloak that indicates he was once a member of a melee unit, but has retired to less strenuous duty.

Llew
25-01-2011, 06:11
And finally a close up of the champion. So far, he's the only dwarf who I've bothered to give eyes. Most of them will work fine on the table without that detail, but the un-helmed head just looked weird with the eyes undetailed.

strewart
25-01-2011, 06:16
Very nice work! I like the concept of different coloured mantles showing 'rank' or position in the army.

Darsc Zacal
25-01-2011, 06:22
It is a good idea. Helps to make them more visually appealing on the battlefield. Very important considering how often Mantic reuses the same dwarf molds.

I like them. Well done Llew!

gaarew
25-01-2011, 07:33
Good stuff Llew.

By the way, you missed the crosspiece on the crossbows. I wasn't going to mention it, but somebody told me the same thing about my Uruk-hai Crossbowmen before, so I'm passing on the favour.

Chicken Pig
25-01-2011, 07:54
Great stuff Llew you are going a fair rate here, any chance of an army shot in the future? These are looking great but will look even better grouped together. I also like the little snippets of background that you are giving us.

Avance!

Llew
25-01-2011, 14:15
Good stuff Llew.

By the way, you missed the crosspiece on the crossbows. I wasn't going to mention it, but somebody told me the same thing about my Uruk-hai Crossbowmen before, so I'm passing on the favour.

Thanks, Gaarew. I'm using the Mantic paint jobs as my inspiration, so while I may not have painted the fittings, I don't feel too pressured to paint the crossbar. ;)

Great stuff Llew you are going a fair rate here, any chance of an army shot in the future? These are looking great but will look even better grouped together. I also like the little snippets of background that you are giving us.

Avance!

Thanks too, CP! I've got current shots of the whole army, such as it is, in my album under my profile if you dig a bit. I took some to see how they were going to look together, and I was satisfied that they look like part of the same army.

Skalfgrimm
25-01-2011, 16:19
Nice dwarfs, Llew. That will be a wonderful army when completed.

gaarew
25-01-2011, 20:15
Just checked out the group shots in your profile Llew, it is definitely coming together.

You need some big guns though.

Hybrid Alpha
08-02-2011, 00:24
Excellent painting log Llew. You’re Undead were one of the reasons I started a Kings of War army.

Llew
13-02-2011, 04:28
That's awfully kind to say. Glad to see that inspiration doesn't always require perfect execution. I'm pretty amazed by the stuff you're turning out.

Without further ado, I give you, Mhorgoth the Faceless.

This is my first serious attempt at OSL, although it's pretty basic and I see a number of pathing flaws for the light. Still, overall I'm satisfied, and on the table, he's pretty eye-catching.

Skin tone was painted first with Vallejo Medium Sea Grey, then washed with GW Leviathan Purple. Re-highlighted with the same grey, then mixed P3 Ryn Flesh for the next highlight stage, about 50/50. Rehighlighted after adding about half again as much Ryn Flesh, then did some really thin white highlights.

Cloak was painted a combo of Vallejo Grey-Green, Prussian Blue and Black in about a 5 to 2 to 2 mix. Washed that with black, then rehighlighted with the grey-green mix. Then I added progressively more white for several highlights. Then, just when I thought it was perfect, and the best black highlighting I'd ever done, I started painting over it for the OSL.

Darsc Zacal
13-02-2011, 04:40
Looks good Llew. A little different from the others I've seen.

Llew
13-02-2011, 04:46
Thanks, Darsc. I've got a blue glow going on my skeletons, and blue and black clothing, so I wanted to stick with something that would keep with that look on the tabletop. The light skin tone will help him anchor the ghouls.

(I've got 5 of those done, and may finish the other 5 to get a complete troop later this week, with a little luck.)

minitrol
13-02-2011, 05:40
Oh quite a shexy Morgoth there! The more I see that figure the more taken I am with how unique it is! I was sure I commented on this before but I can';t find it! in any case fantastic work on the Dwarfs love the white gloves

Darsc Zacal
13-02-2011, 05:49
Oh quite a shexy Morgoth there! The more I see that figure the more taken I am with how unique it is! I was sure I commented on this before but I can';t find it! in any case fantastic work on the Dwarfs love the white gloves

You can find Mhorgoth on Mantics online shop. Link is below.

http://www.manticgames.com/Shop-Home/Undead/Lords-and-Heroes/Product/Mhorgoth-the-Faceless-1-Figure.html

minitrol
13-02-2011, 08:18
Oh cool didn't know he could be purchased separately thought he was an Army deal. Thanks Darsc!

gaarew
13-02-2011, 09:01
Very nice indeed Mr R.

He should tie in nicely with your Skeletons, in fact, you should take a group shot for show.

strewart
13-02-2011, 09:29
Cool, good looking Mhorgoth! Nice work. I like the deep shading, looks very striking.

Hybrid Alpha
13-02-2011, 17:43
Excellent Mhorgoth Llew. I like the colours you used on him and I think you're right that they will tie in nicely with the rest of your army.

Llew
18-08-2011, 05:43
For the first time in ages, I have new things to post.

I decided to vary things a bit with some very basic mods to a unit of Ironwatch, combining parts of those kits with the Ironclad kit to make my Heavy Ironwatch unit.

Painting style is blocky and loose, and I'm dropping a lot of details as I'm focusing more on tabletop viewing, rather than pretending these are works of art. I like how the concept came out though. And it just seemed natural for dwarven shooters (who are better in melee than as shooters) to keep their shields handy.

Now if I can just get some rules for 'em. :)

imm0rtal reaper
18-08-2011, 09:51
It's a nice concept and certainly one of the more unique dwarf shooter units I've seen.

Well done!

strewart
18-08-2011, 10:21
Very cool looking unit, Llew!

Urist McIronclad
07-09-2011, 11:05
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who mixes up the extra bits the dwarves get on their sprues. For awhile it seemed like it after look through a lot of stuff. I personally like the way you made your ironwatch a bit more custom with the various poses and added shields.

About the only criticism I have is with your Ironwatch champion. The bestial brown(?) colour is a bit clashing with the grey-ish white you have with the rest of the troop. Although, I suppose that was the point of it. A minor little thought, but all in all I really like the scheme you have going with your guys.

Nice job man.