PDA

View Full Version : Coming back, maybe.

Tulun
03-02-2010, 06:15
So, after a good 2+ year hiatus, considering maybe coming back to the hobby a bit (Tyranids were also my favorite army, so the new codex sparked my interest a little...). Looking for a little info.

Is there anything I should know in my absence? I've maybe played 2 games of 5th and it seems that transports are the way to go, again, from what I've gathered.

I have decent amounts of Tyranids and Eldar. Anything I should know about these teams atm? (metagame wise, etc).

I am a little considered about Nids; well I don't think it's as doom and gloom as I've read codex wise (though some of it is pure ********; Genestealers without frag grenades just bugs the hell out of me, for example...), I do think how the army plays and is built has changed, but more so the necessity to buy a lot of new models is concerning.

It seems like a big cash grab... Hive Tyrants and Carnifex took a hit (probably needed, but a bit far...), the best new units have shiny plastic models (Gargoyles, new MCs, Hive Guard). I have lots of nids (though I never jumped on the Nidzilla fex bandwagon). Can really effective lists still be made without shelling out major cash for the new models?

how are Eldar currently doing? I've always had reasonable success with them, but hell, Falcons were broke with defensive weapons ;) Are Wave Serpents worth taking again?

Balragore
03-02-2010, 06:29
Welcome back :). I too recently returned after about the same amount of time off (stopped a bit after 13th black crusade) back around Thanksgiving.

The Nids are adjusting to a new dex, and should still be competitive, though your fexes are going to cost more, your armor saves are going to stink all around, a lot of the biomorfs are screwy... well suffice to say it's a time of adjustment is all.

Your eldar should be fine, unless your using an EoT list, or craftworld list.

Edit: wave serpents should take shuriken catapults and missile launchers to get around the str4 defensive weapon nerf.

SPYDER68
03-02-2010, 14:11
So, after a good 2+ year hiatus, considering maybe coming back to the hobby a bit (Tyranids were also my favorite army, so the new codex sparked my interest a little...). Looking for a little info.

Is there anything I should know in my absence? I've maybe played 2 games of 5th and it seems that transports are the way to go, again, from what I've gathered.

I have decent amounts of Tyranids and Eldar. Anything I should know about these teams atm? (metagame wise, etc).

I am a little considered about Nids; well I don't think it's as doom and gloom as I've read codex wise (though some of it is pure ********; Genestealers without frag grenades just bugs the hell out of me, for example...), I do think how the army plays and is built has changed, but more so the necessity to buy a lot of new models is concerning.

It seems like a big cash grab... Hive Tyrants and Carnifex took a hit (probably needed, but a bit far...), the best new units have shiny plastic models (Gargoyles, new MCs, Hive Guard). I have lots of nids (though I never jumped on the Nidzilla fex bandwagon). Can really effective lists still be made without shelling out major cash for the new models?

how are Eldar currently doing? I've always had reasonable success with them, but hell, Falcons were broke with defensive weapons ;) Are Wave Serpents worth taking again?

First of all, this is warseer, the forums are always flooded with whiners about the new codex.

So far ive played 7-8 games with it, and its amazing to me compared to the old one.

You have alot of Fex's, ok, are you willing to strip paint and convert ? You can easily convert them into Tervigons, buy a few hive guard, make a Tyranid Prime and toss in a Trygon and your set.

Its a rather nice book so far, alot more reliable anti tank (Hive guard + Zoans) and guants are of course cheaper, and better.

Tulun
03-02-2010, 18:21
First of all, this is warseer, the forums are always flooded with whiners about the new codex.

So far ive played 7-8 games with it, and its amazing to me compared to the old one.

You have alot of Fex's, ok, are you willing to strip paint and convert ? You can easily convert them into Tervigons, buy a few hive guard, make a Tyranid Prime and toss in a Trygon and your set.

Its a rather nice book so far, alot more reliable anti tank (Hive guard + Zoans) and guants are of course cheaper, and better.

Fair enough on the whiners.

I actually *don't* have a lot of fexes. I own 2 (maybe 3), not including old One Eye (I wouldn't field him, ever, with his current cost and rules, other than dicking around). I also don't have a lot of experience with green stuff, which tends to be what is required for a lot of Tyranid conversions, nor do I like the idea of making a Tervigon walk on claws talons (the weight might break it, I've had.. issues before :P).

I've heard Hive Guard are 50 bucks a pop (this slightly bugs me). I do own a couple Zoans, though. I also was spinefist heavy, but I'm loathe to pay 6 points for a spinegaunt...
Gargoyles seem appealing, as far as Nids go, but it would cost a pretty dime getting them.

While there is a lot of whining (and some of it IS justified, but not all of it), it seems like a lot of rebuilding of my nids might require a good chunk of change (buying Hive Guard, more Zoans, the odd Drop pod, Trygons/Mawlocs, Gargolyes). I'm just curious if that is basically my only choice if I want to field a competitive list.

azimaith
03-02-2010, 18:35

New nids are great if your just starting up on them or if you don't have a lot of older models. Sort of meh if not. The list is competitive but its completely different and you'll have to be willing to turn a blind eye to a bunch of bad choices (coincidentally many are old models :P)

You can make a playable list with whatever you had in 4th, you won't be especially competitive compared to someone who is willing to dump most of the old and take much of the new. Taking some of these models is like taking vanguard vets in marines, you can make a playable list but sometimes it feels like your just throwing out points you could use on something better.

Falcons and Wave Serpents are alright for Mech. A lot of the defensive weapon uproar is gone and most of them just end up moving 6" if they want to fire it all or 12+ if they're just moving models.

SPYDER68
03-02-2010, 18:50
Hive guard are only $20 USD each. or same as Zoanathrope cost.

You dont haft to make their tervigon like theirs, just make him look different to a fex a little with bits etc, and put termiguants on the larger valk/Trygon base and it would be ok to use as their is no Tervigon model.

Tulun
03-02-2010, 19:09
Hive guard are only $20 USD each. or same as Zoanathrope cost.

You dont haft to make their tervigon like theirs, just make him look different to a fex a little with bits etc, and put termiguants on the larger valk/Trygon base and it would be ok to use as their is no Tervigon model.

That's not actually as bad as I originally heard, which is good.

True, true. It seems too you are just screwing yourself because of the new LoS rules.

what do people do for Nid Drop pods? Seems like they are a useful addition, especially if you drag a Tyrant along.

Tulun
03-02-2010, 19:11
New nids are great if your just starting up on them or if you don't have a lot of older models. Sort of meh if not. The list is competitive but its completely different and you'll have to be willing to turn a blind eye to a bunch of bad choices (coincidentally many are old models :P)

You can make a playable list with whatever you had in 4th, you won't be especially competitive compared to someone who is willing to dump most of the old and take much of the new. Taking some of these models is like taking vanguard vets in marines, you can make a playable list but sometimes it feels like your just throwing out points you could use on something better.

Falcons and Wave Serpents are alright for Mech. A lot of the defensive weapon uproar is gone and most of them just end up moving 6" if they want to fire it all or 12+ if they're just moving models.

I was sort of afraid of that. I actually have a boatload of Nids, but I did a large chunk of collecting in 3rd edition and just expanded a bit in 4th. I like the look and the idea of the army more so than any other (but Eldar are really fun with how mobile they are too), but dropping a few hundred bucks right now is a little unappealing.

the whole moving fast glancing thing is gone anyway, right? (Regarding Eldar)

azimaith
03-02-2010, 19:28
No more automatic glances for anyone. You get a cover save instead basically. Eldar skimmers are still some of the most durable tanks there are.

As for drop pods, they're alright but they're nothing special outside of a few units. You don't get drop pod assault so a nid drop pod army is sort of a pipe dream. If you grab an expensive tyrant you can improve your odds but then you run into the problem of:
1: You need to use a tyrant.
2: That tyrant needs wings to deep strike or needs to walk all by its lonesome.

With a tyrant you can almost manage drop pod assault rules just instead of arriving on turn 1 you arrive partially on turn 2 and almost entirely on turn 3.. well if the tyrant doesn't eat it before then.

The nid army isn't really built for mass podding (despite the fluff) and doesn't do well with that sort of build comparatively.

As for making nid pods, take a look at this.
http://hem.spray.se/kendoka/arachnoids/hive_fleet_tendril/tendril_may06.jpg

Tyranid spores can be made out of cut up polystyrene eggs (make sure they split lengthwise) All you need to do is split it into fours and good up the interior. I've also heard of people using plant seed pods and the like. On the plus side you can make them as large (and as line of sight blocking) as you like. I'd imagine a carnifex sized pod would be pretty big.

SPYDER68
03-02-2010, 20:00
any chance of more pics anywhere of that pod ? or how he did all of it ?

azimaith
03-02-2010, 20:08
What I heard is he used green stuff and a polystyrene egg (the hollow kind you get for easter, lots of companies make em'.) Dunno where other pics are.