PDA

View Full Version : What are the Gates of Varl

Sigis
03-02-2010, 08:32
on many of the 40k galaxy maps theres a location called the Gates of Varl. Is there/has there anything happening there that is significant? I cant seem to find any reference to them in my codexs

Mannimarco
03-02-2010, 11:33
I think it was just a throwaway quote way back in an earlier rulebook (maybe the old codex imperiales or whatever it was called) about the imperial guard guarding them against the ctan or somthing like that

of coures this would have been long before the ctan got retconned into pretty much everything

Inquisitor S.
03-02-2010, 11:44
There's not much information on that. Before the necrons made their appearance in the setting it was said that the Imperium guards the Gates of Varl against the c'tan, part from that nothing I can remember.
EDIT: ninja'd

AndrewGPaul
03-02-2010, 11:47
The armies of the Imperium "guard the Gates of Varl from the quiescent perils of the C'Tan". 2nd edition Codex Imperialis (i.e. the background book). That was the first (and for a few years, the only) mention of the C'Tan.

LordLucan
03-02-2010, 13:49
In the Necron codex, a heretical tech priest was caught and interrogated, after trying to enter the Gates of Varl, which is forbidden by Imperial law. It has soemthing to do with the C'tan. As to what it is, who knows?

Inquisitor S.
03-02-2010, 13:52
We don't even know (I think at least, sometimes small scraps of info just pass my attention ;)) if the Gates are physical gates, planets, a space route or something completely else.

LordLucan
03-02-2010, 13:57
No, we do not. Which is not neccessarily a bad thing. How cool do they sound? If one was to develop them, they'd lose some of their prestige and mystery. Leave some things mysterious and ominous I say.

Inquisitor S.
03-02-2010, 14:03
Yeah, that's like the YMGA (sp?) monolith, just nice to have some mysterious items on your maps^^

Obyri
03-02-2010, 14:16
Yeah, that's like the YMGA ^^

Young Men's GorkaMorka Association?

Why do i suddenly have images of 5 orks in rather specific styles of clothing.

Awww look at the Sailor Ork, he looks like Barratt from FFVII except green.

LordLucan
03-02-2010, 14:16
Also, the hadex anomaly is intriguing too. Possible a 'white hole'...

Promethius
04-02-2010, 14:58
I think the gates of varl mark the crossover point between the 40k universe as we know it and the area cut off from the warp by the c'tan?

Inquisitor S.
04-02-2010, 15:02
There's no indication for that.

LordLucan
04-02-2010, 21:42
The middle of the galaxy doesn't seem to be cut off from the warp really.

Idaan
04-02-2010, 22:07
Young Men's GorkaMorka Association?

Why do i suddenly have images of 5 orks in rather specific styles of clothing.

Awww look at the Sailor Ork, he looks like Barratt from FFVII except green.
More like Young Men's Genstealer Association, seeing as the Genestealers were first encountered on Ymgarl.;)

DapperAnarchist
04-02-2010, 23:40
With stuff like the Ymgarl Monolith, 40K risks being Star Wars, with everything in a galaxy of million world empires taking place on 5 worlds and involving about 50 people... Then again, the 5th Ed book does throw so much new stuff out, like the Nova Terra Interregnum, that they seem to be guarding against that pretty well.

baphomael
05-02-2010, 01:02
With stuff like the Ymgarl Monolith, 40K risks being Star Wars, with everything in a galaxy of million world empires taking place on 5 worlds and involving about 50 people... Then again, the 5th Ed book does throw so much new stuff out, like the Nova Terra Interregnum, that they seem to be guarding against that pretty well.

Its the Ymga monolith, not the Ymagrl Monolith. The only thing we know is that its trapezium shaped and in the eastern fringe. May not have anything to do with the moons of Ymagrl. Its just one of these little fluff tidbits that have never been expanded on to create a nice fluff atmosphere, to keep us wondering.

Lord Damocles
06-02-2010, 09:49
on many of the 40k galaxy maps theres a location called the Gates of Varl. Is there/has there anything happening there that is significant? I cant seem to find any reference to them in my codexs
This might help a little:

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4244484&postcount=13

LordLucan
06-02-2010, 10:58

YMGA, not Ymgarl! YMGA! Ymgarl is the geanstealer homeworld. :)

40K has never been a setting which focusses on just a few planets. Almost every novels is set on a different and distinctive world, and as you say, 5th ed (and the Tyranid codex does this too) has expanded the scope of the setting even moreso.

Thundergod
06-02-2010, 13:26
40K has never been a setting which focusses on just a few planets.

Unless, of course, your planet happens to be named Armageddon. :D

I always assumed the name was an imperial "mistranslation" or corruption from Vaul. I do enjoy a bit of mystery in my fluff, and this was/is a good one.

Karl MkVI
06-02-2010, 16:11
This might help a little:

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4244484&postcount=13

this obviously points to something C'tan-related; perhaps a gateway to somewhere like another dimension, or something like that. getting more into the realms of Dr Who here, though, admittedly...

one point ive always been keenly aware of is that the C'tan (and seemingly the Old Ones along with them) are an intergalactic race; they have spanned the universe (see hints in Mechanicum). so the Gates could be some sort of passage or gateway to another galaxy, or something similar.

EDIT: which of course opens up the possibility for more C'tan, or... something worse?

lapis_lazuli
10-02-2010, 20:46
The Eldar seer's vision of a post-Red Harvest galaxy in Codex: Necrons certainly seems to suggest there are more C'tan further out in the universe.

DapperAnarchist
11-02-2010, 16:04
I didn't see that at all - it seemed more just that life in a post Red Harvest galaxy would suck, and every living thing in the galaxy would belong to one of 4 herds...

Karhedron
12-02-2010, 13:11
I thought that the Gate of Varl were the gates to the Noctis Labyrinthus on Mars. The implication being that this was where the Dragon was sleeping/imprisoned.

DapperAnarchist
12-02-2010, 13:20
They're very far away - and if there's some sort of folding-space type shortcut, why launch an attack on Mars to get at it?

borithan
12-02-2010, 14:16
Then again, the 5th Ed book does throw so much new stuff out, like the Nova Terra Interregnum, that they seem to be guarding against that pretty well.Nova Terra Interregnum?

DapperAnarchist
12-02-2010, 17:12
... I'm seriously posting every other post on this page...

The Nova Terra Interregnum happened between the Heresy and Apostasy, when the Ecclesiarchy tried to reunite the Imperium following the anarchy after the assassination of the entire Senatorum Imperialis, and were strongly rebuffed by the planet of Nova Terra, which started its own Imperium, splitting the Imperium for 900 years. Its in the timeline "Age of the Imperium" in the 5thEd Rulebook.