PDA

View Full Version : Question about 'zard lords

your_average_guy456
04-02-2010, 05:29
Hey all just a quick question ive noticed that the slanns are a really popular lord for lizardmen (and with very good reason) but i was wondering how other lords fare on the table. In particular has anyone tried using an Oldblood on a Carnosaur?I had this idea of throwing one of those in with a unit of Cold-one knights and then having an EotG as my spellcaster (since i cant have slann)

Its just a thought I had, wanna see if it has potental!

Your Average Guy

Stumpy
04-02-2010, 06:12
Its done, it works, though mr carnosaur definately has no need of joining saurus cav. I've never used a slann and never will for the forseeable future, I use an oldblood in my games. Not on a carnosaur though, I consider that thing a liability.

Ultimate Life Form
04-02-2010, 11:51
Carnosaur is okay and really packs a punch, but you have to be careful with it. It excels if you use it like the jungle predator it is - exploit cover, sneak around the corner and charge into the enemy's flank around Turn 4 or so. In that case it's an unstoppable killing machine. If you just rush head-on towards the enemy, it won't survive past Turn 2.

Agnar the Howler
04-02-2010, 12:13
Carnosaur is okay and really packs a punch, but you have to be careful with it. It excels if you use it like the jungle predator it is - exploit cover, sneak around the corner and charge into the enemy's flank around Turn 4 or so. In that case it's an unstoppable killing machine. If you just rush head-on towards the enemy, it won't survive past Turn 2.

This is good advice for two reasons:

1) It's a good way of using an oldblood on a carnie (the dinosaur, not circus people)
2) The way he phrased it should immediately spark something in your mind... guessed yet?... "Exploit cover, sneak around the corner". That should've made you say "Wait, what? Large targets have a hard time sneaking around places, how does he expect me to 'sneak' when the enemy has LoS to the thing for the whole game?"

This highlights one of the largely ignored qualities of the new carnosaur. He is no longer a large target. By all means, keep it hidden from your opponent if you want (after all, some may say that you should check on the new army books as soon as possible to avoid confusion, and if they haven't done it in the 2ish years it's been out then that's their problem) but never forget it yourself, as it's one of the most useful things that the carnosaur has. It won't save you from all things (people using cannons who target the unit in front of the carnosaur and purposefully guess so it will hit the carnosaur behind instead) but it can save from a lot of things that would've nuked the old carnosaur, such as massed bows that aren't on a hill etc.

Stumpy
04-02-2010, 13:21
Or do what I do: put him on a cold one, run him at the hardest thing the enemy has and ask them to just try it. Can't count the number of times people have assumed their heavy cavalry/scary monster/lord of doom could take on my oldblood.

Malorian
04-02-2010, 14:12
I've been doing just fine using no lord at all.

You'd be amazed at how many points you save, and how many more units you can have, if 50% of your points aren't in characters ;)

Ultimate Life Form
04-02-2010, 14:37
I've been doing just fine using no lord at all.

You'd be amazed at how many points you save, and how many more units you can have, if 50% of your points aren't in characters ;)

That's right, but my favorite plaything is the Blade of Realities, so this is hardly an option for me. :angel:

(Watch out for my Batrep which should hopefully be up till end of the week.)

Stumpy
04-02-2010, 22:28
Yeah, you don't really need a lord, I didn't start using an oldblood until towards the end of the lifespan of the old book, when everyone and their granny was using dragons and I had no answer.