PDA

View Full Version : dwarf banners

craskie666
04-02-2010, 21:55
can you stack the runes on the banners eg if a rune costs 15pts can you have 3 of them??

Malorian
04-02-2010, 21:59
You can have up to three runes, but as to which ones stack you have to refer to the runes themselves.

Gromdal
05-02-2010, 08:35
Runes stack unless otherwise noted.

I suspect you are thinking about MR1 x 3. And yes it works for a total of MR3 on the unit.

amysrevenge
05-02-2010, 17:09
The listed restrictions are the only ones that apply (to all runic items, not just banners).

Only 1 of a given Master rune per army, period.
You can repeat normal runes all you like, both on the same item and across the army, but other than the single exception of Rune of Stone, you cannot have the same combination of runes on any two items.

As an example using heroes, I have two thanes. One is the standard Thane of Pain (RofStone, RofFury, RofCleaving, MRofSwiftness), the other one is geared diffferently since he can't have the same weapon combo (or a second MRoSwiftness), but still has a RofStone - RofStone, RofFury x2, RofCleaving.

On banners I usually tend to use combinations of RofStoicism and RofBattle for combat resolution, with maybe something special on the BSB.

Flying_Squirrel
13-02-2010, 12:35
I beg to differ, amysrevenge.
First of, you can only have one RofStone on a character, their effect do not stack. Second, the 3rd point of the runes rules (page 43) does state that you cannot use the same combination including the same rune. Therefore, as soon as you use one rune of fury one one character, another character cannot have it. You can stack the +3 attack on one character however.

To answer the original question, yes you can stack three same runes on your standard, but bear in mind the above: it will be the only standard in your army with these runes.

Avian
13-02-2010, 12:58
Therefore, as soon as you use one rune of fury one one character, another character cannot have it.
To be specific: If one character has a runic weapon with a single Rune of Fury and no other runes, you can't have another character with a runic weapon with a single Rune of Fury and no other runes.

Flying_Squirrel
13-02-2010, 18:09
Are you implying that if a character has a rune of fury and a rune of cleaving, another one can have a rune of might and a rune of fury?
If it's the case, it is not the way I understand what is stated in the army book. I understand it (and use my army) as if a character as a certain type of rune, he'll be the only one.

riotknight
13-02-2010, 19:14
I thought the rule said same COMBINATION of runes. So you could have the same Rune on a different character, so long as you had a different second rune (or just the one)

Ivan Stupidor
13-02-2010, 19:16
Are you implying that if a character has a rune of fury and a rune of cleaving, another one can have a rune of might and a rune of fury?
If it's the case, it is not the way I understand what is stated in the army book. I understand it (and use my army) as if a character as a certain type of rune, he'll be the only one.

I think you're conflating the Jealous Runes rule ("no master rune may be used more than once per army") and the Rule of Pride ("no more than one item may carry the same combination of magic runes"). Unless it's a Master Rune, you can use a rune multiple times in the same army provided it's not in combination with the exactly the same (or no other) runes multiple times.

For example, you could have an army with:
A Lord with an axe with Rune of Fury, Rune of Might, Master Rune of Swiftness
A Thane with an axe with Rune of Fury, Rune of Might
A Thane with a hammer with Rune of Might, Rune of Speed
A Runesmith with a hammer with Rune of Fury, Rune of Speed, Rune of Speed
A Runesmith with a hammer with Rune of Fury, Rune of Speed
and so on for sufficiently large games and sufficiently bizarre obsessions with the Rune of Speed

danny-d-b
13-02-2010, 19:16
yes you can use the same rune on diffrent caracters- just not the same combo

so you could have a lord with 2 runes of cleaving and a rune of fury and another lord with 2 runes of fury and a rune of cleaving

Flying_Squirrel
13-02-2010, 19:48
That's extremely good news!
I was thinking that using a normal rune just once kinda turned them into master rune, as the rule stated that you couldn't have the same combination, including single runes.

Anyway, it's extremely good, cheers for the info :)

Haravikk
13-02-2010, 20:59
Not at all; one of favourite magic banner for my IronBreakers is the Rune of Stoicism (double unit strength, which means resistance to fear and usually a +1 combat resolution), and the Rune of Battle (constant +1 combat resolution). Gives you a great balance of low casualties and good staying power.

T10
14-02-2010, 10:11
Runes stack unless otherwise noted.

There are 63 runes.
Of these 23 runes are Master runes and cannot be taken multiple times.
Of the remaining 40 runes, 14 specifically cannot be taken multiple times.
At least this leaves 26 runes you can take multiples of. That's less than half...

Some runes you may take multiple times with no obvious benefit besides building a unique rune combination:

Multiple Runes of Fire can be taken to make your character's weapon very hot!
Multiple Runes of The Furnace can be taken make your character exceptionally resistant to fire.
Multiple Runes of Reloading won't actually help, but if you want them you can have them.
Multiple Valiant Runes can be taken to make your war machine crew even more unbreakable!
Multiple Runes of Burning can be taken to make your warmachine very hot!

There are a few others I have issue with:

The Rune of Iron "only" stacks twice.
The Rune of Sanctuary and Rune of Warding each confer Magic Resistance (1). However, Magic Resistance is never cumulative, you just use the best Magic Resistance.
The Rune of Slowness allows you to roll multiple dice for multiple runes and pick the best result. While reducing an enemy's charge range by 3d6 inches crazy powerful, it also costs 150 points plus the BSB...

Ok, so what's my point? Well, let's just say that I feel that the Rules of the Runes #5 promises more than is delivered. One third of the runes can actually be taken multiple times with any appreciable effect. Perhaps it would be more efficient to label these specifically as "may be taken multile times, for each rune X applies" rather than the round-about way of the current runes' list.

-T10

Griefbringer
14-02-2010, 11:55
Thanks for the list of silly rune combinations, T10. Got to remember those the next time somebody posts a thread asking for the most ridiculous magic item combinations out there.

Gromdal
15-02-2010, 11:41
There are 63 runes.
Of these 23 runes are Master runes and cannot be taken multiple times.
Of the remaining 40 runes, 14 specifically cannot be taken multiple times.
At least this leaves 26 runes you can take multiples of. That's less than half...

Some runes you may take multiple times with no obvious benefit besides building a unique rune combination:

Multiple Runes of Fire can be taken to make your character's weapon very hot!
Multiple Runes of The Furnace can be taken make your character exceptionally resistant to fire.
Multiple Runes of Reloading won't actually help, but if you want them you can have them.
Multiple Valiant Runes can be taken to make your war machine crew even more unbreakable!
Multiple Runes of Burning can be taken to make your warmachine very hot!

There are a few others I have issue with:

The Rune of Iron "only" stacks twice.
The Rune of Sanctuary and Rune of Warding each confer Magic Resistance (1). However, Magic Resistance is never cumulative, you just use the best Magic Resistance.
The Rune of Slowness allows you to roll multiple dice for multiple runes and pick the best result. While reducing an enemy's charge range by 3d6 inches crazy powerful, it also costs 150 points plus the BSB...

Ok, so what's my point? Well, let's just say that I feel that the Rules of the Runes #5 promises more than is delivered. One third of the runes can actually be taken multiple times with any appreciable effect. Perhaps it would be more efficient to label these specifically as "may be taken multile times, for each rune X applies" rather than the round-about way of the current runes' list.

-T10

Can the runes be simplified? Yes, like most of GWs material there is alot of room for improvement.

It does not change the fact that runes stack unless otherwise noted.

If gw released a new rune: Rune of the mountains, gives +1 armor save, then they would not have to write: Multiples stack, they always do in the current system unless otherwise noted.