5-4 on penalties

COME ON MY SON!

Frodo34x
21-05-2005, 16:48
I just heard on Kerrang! radio.

W00t

Kohhna
21-05-2005, 16:51
Just saw it on TV. Bit crap as ManU played a better game. Oh well.

Frodo34x
21-05-2005, 16:52
Yea, I heard that Man U had dominated it.

Kohhna
21-05-2005, 16:54
True. Most of the action was in the Arsenal end.

Rabid Bunny 666
21-05-2005, 16:55
yup, but i'm glad arsenal won, rubbing salt into the wound, so to speak

redemptionist15
21-05-2005, 17:20
Well done Arsenal, you got played utterly off the field, didnt have one shot on target and yet still won.

Be proud Arsenal fans!

United may have lost but we still have our dignity intact, knowing that we were the better team.

Rabid Bunny 666
21-05-2005, 17:27
hehe, but you're now in heavy debt as well

redemptionist15
21-05-2005, 18:49
hehe, but you're now in heavy debt as well Actually we wont be in as much debt as Arsenal, and we will still be a bigger global team than Arsenal.

hairyman
21-05-2005, 18:49
United played you off the pitch.. jammy jammy gooners (I am a long suffering spurs fan)

neXus6
21-05-2005, 19:54
I'm not an Arsenal fan but I simply hate seeing Man-U win, thus I'm rather happy.

More importantly tomorrow is the last set of SPL games. I want Celtic to win and Hibs to stay 3rd so we're in Europe next season. :D

Cypher
22-05-2005, 13:22
Do I dare comment? :D

Watching the game I do agree that Man U were the better attacking side, however the fact that they went for two hours without scoring against a defense that is widely considered to be less than brilliant, is kind of saying something. I lost count of the number of times Ronaldo would run up the wing, do his little dance, make a cross and have nothing result of it. By comparable standards United have been poor this season, and it's because they cant demonate games like they used to.

That said, Arsenal need to build upon what they have. Despite being the best attacking team in England, they suffer because when they are unable to make the game flow, they cant "slug it out". Ray Parlour was a great Arsenal player because he was a workhorse: he wasnt a brilliant footballer but he worked hard. Simply put, the squad isnt big enough.

Moan of the Match goes to Styles: I reckon as full time approached he was blowing that whistle every two minutes. While it was very nice to see these two teams play a game without incident, I thought I was watching a game of gridiron towards the end.

Man of the Match was Jens Lehmann: he did brilliantly in goal and saved the game for Arsenal. He's a widely criticised player, and he has had more than a few bad games (he's no Dave Seaman), but I think he's one of the better keepers in England right now.

DaViEsW
22-05-2005, 19:31
Hohohoh, Man Utd's attack sucks.

redemptionist15
22-05-2005, 23:14
I think United did enough in the game, in the end the pieces of luck didnt go our way (ljungberg clearing off the line, rooney hitting the post, scholes missing his header close up). At least it gives me joy knowing next season we will still be a better team than **** :D

And **** will have more debt due to their new stadium.

Cypher
23-05-2005, 02:27
I think United did enough in the game, in the end the pieces of luck didnt go our way (ljungberg clearing off the line, rooney hitting the post, scholes missing his header close up). At least it gives me joy knowing next season we will still be a better team than **** :D
Because Man U are regularly finishing above Arsenal come end of season these days? :p

And **** will have more debt due to their new stadium.
Yeah I guess we need our own pimp daddy to buy the club out...

Actually the Arsenal finances are very strong: some very good sponsorship deals from Nike and Emirates have seen to that: as I understand it well over half the money for the stadium has already been aquired a year before it's due to open. And expect some massive ticket sales once everyone who wants to go to an Arsenal home game actually gets their chance.

neXus6
23-05-2005, 02:33
Yeah I guess we need our own pimp daddy to buy the club out...

Remember this particular buy out is actually putting Man U more in debt. That's what happens when the buyer borrows money to buy a team...and also gives the lenders a % of the clubs shares. :p

If Man U had done enough they would have won. As it was "luck" or "not taking your chances" as it's better know foiled them. Alas that is just one of the facts of football, if one team dominates but doesn't take it's chances it tends to go the way of the other team by the time the game is over.

Getz
23-05-2005, 02:58
Speaking as an Arsenal fan I'm not going to pretend it was pretty and I'm not going to claim there was no luck involved, but if Man U really played that much better than us then why couldn't they score?

There is as much virtue in hanging on in there as there is in taking the game to the enemy. Man U couldn't finish what they started and suffered for it when it came round to the penalties.

Did I want to win that way? Of course not...

Who has the best team? Well lets just look at where Arsenal and Man U finished in the League - and lets' not forget that Henry was on the bench for most of the back end of the season and we were damn lucky to get Ljungberg back in time for the final...

As for finances, I doubt a club that has just been saddled with huge debts by a hostile take over has much to brag about...

redemptionist15
23-05-2005, 07:03
Who has the best team? Well lets just look at where Arsenal and Man U finished in the League - and lets' not forget that Henry was on the bench for most of the back end of the season and we were damn lucky to get Ljungberg back in time for the final...

As for finances, I doubt a club that has just been saddled with huge debts by a hostile take over has much to brag about...

To be honest **** cant really speak of injurys this season (what with us having RVN out for 5 months or so). And United have took on a much bigger debt but we are a bigger franchise so theres every chance we will clear it sharpish.

**** have finished better than United in the past few seasons but i would be suprised if Fergusons dynasty is over just yet. Either way im sure people will continue their hatred of United :D

Cypher
23-05-2005, 08:07
To be honest **** cant really speak of injurys this season (what with us having RVN out for 5 months or so). And United have took on a much bigger debt but we are a bigger franchise so theres every chance we will clear it sharpish.

**** have finished better than United in the past few seasons but i would be suprised if Fergusons dynasty is over just yet. Either way im sure people will continue their hatred of United :D

Henry has been out for about three months this season. Campbell, Gilberto, Ljundberg, Edu: have all missed at least half their season through injury. When the squad is as small as it is at Arsenal, losing four key players for large chunks of a season is going to hurt.

And yeah: it's just a rule that anyone who isnt a Man U supporter has to hate them by default :D Although give it a couple of years and I wouldnt be surprised if Chelsea end up in that role ;)

DaViEsW
24-05-2005, 08:36
Can't bemoan vN's injury when you spend 30m on an ogre. Sorry, a Rooney.

Arsenal to sign Alexandr Hleb for 10m this summer. *taps nose* ;)

Wiseman
24-05-2005, 11:28
i hate penalties, cant stand them in the slightest, though it says something about a game if it gets to them. Lehmann was brilliant, proved he can be a game saver some of the time, still arsenal need a better keeper.

DaViEsW
24-05-2005, 12:32
Bet you through penalties were pretty damn good when Rooney tumbled over his shoelace last October.

Sai-Lauren
24-05-2005, 12:36
Can't bemoan vN's injury when you spend 30m on an ogre. Sorry, a Rooney.

And how much did they pay for Alan Smith as well? ;) Shame they've hardly anyone to get the strikers the ball with any great certainty - if I wasn't a Liverpool fan I'd almost feel sorry for them :angel:

Nah :D

(BTW feel free to have a go back if we don't win in Instanbul tomorrow night :) Fair's fair after all).

Remember this particular buy out is actually putting Man U more in debt. That's what happens when the buyer borrows money to buy a team...and also gives the lenders a % of the clubs shares

Let's be honest here, all Glazer's takeover will have done is give the United fans someone other than the referees to blame for every single trophy they don't win for the next 20 years. The AFC United team might do well for 6 months, but will probably fall off in popularity as apathy sets in, especially if they don't do very well for their first season.

Besides, all the Utd season ticket holders who don't renew for next year will just be replaced by other people - there's something daft like a 10 year waiting list for them isn't there? And some people will pay whatever the club demands. Merchandise rights aren't held by United either, but by Nike, so not buying the next repli-kit strip won't hurt the club immediately as they'll still get the annual licensing fee from them.

redemptionist15
24-05-2005, 16:22
Can't bemoan vN's injury when you spend 30m on an ogre. Sorry, a Rooney. A rooney who has outclassed all of arsenals squad this season :P

Let's be honest here, all Glazer's takeover will have done is give the United fans someone other than the referees to blame for every single trophy they don't win for the next 20 years. The AFC United team might do well for 6 months, but will probably fall off in popularity as apathy sets in, especially if they don't do very well for their first season.
United blaming referees for not winning? Every team does it, its not limited to united you know :P Then again you are a liverpool fan.

Besides, all the Utd season ticket holders who don't renew for next year will just be replaced by other people - there's something daft like a 10 year waiting list for them isn't there? And some people will pay whatever the club demands. Merchandise rights aren't held by United either, but by Nike, so not buying the next repli-kit strip won't hurt the club immediately as they'll still get the annual licensing fee from them. There is no waiting list for the season tickets are far as i know, its just a case of applying, as far as i know the previous seasons season ticket holders get first dibs then everyone else, a survey on Shareholders United surveyed 2,300 members, from the survey of just those people its estimated United would lose 18.7m (IIRC). The fans can and will make a difference.

Bet you through penalties were pretty damn good when Rooney tumbled over his shoelace last October. He said he hated penalties, not a penalty. That was poetic justice for Pires swan dive that saved Arsenal from the jaws of defeat the previous season.

Wiseman
25-05-2005, 01:52
Bet you through penalties were pretty damn good when Rooney tumbled over his shoelace last October.
3 main hates
1) Pentalties
2) Arsenal
3) Man united.

so last october i couldnt really careloess if rooney tripped on his shoelaces or not, im a newcastle supporter through and through

wanderingblade
25-05-2005, 04:36
Don't be too quick to judge AFC 'United's success*, look at how well AFC Wimbledon are doing.

As for those fans going missing - they might be replaced next year, but if Manure have their third poor season in a row they probably won't be year after that. I doubt that'll force Glazer to sell - at least immediately - but it will make it less profitable.

Which will probably result in even less money for Rudolph the Red-Nosed Manager...

Anyway, I'll leave you with this:

Manchester United have apparently set up a call centre for fans who are troubled by their current form.

The number is 0800 10 10 10.

Calls charged at peak rate for overseas users.

Once again the number is

0800 won nothing won nothing won nothing.

Cypher
25-05-2005, 06:37
Hehe I salute thee wanderingblade :D

Sai-Lauren
25-05-2005, 08:39
United blaming referees for not winning? Every team does it, its not limited to united you know :P Then again you are a liverpool fan.

I know it's not limited to United, but Ferguson (and being honest here, Wenger as well) have made it into an art form, rather than just post-match letting off steam. :p

And if we didn't have Liverpool - Man United rivalries, the world would be a lot more boring. I mean, we hated Man Utd (and you hated us) long before everyone else jumped on the bandwagon :D

As for "United's missing supporters", if someone doesn't renew their season ticket out of anger against Glazer, someone else will buy it instead - that's the downside of trying to organise a protest against something with such a world-wide following. United won't lose 18 million as that survey suggests, because that survey is only counting the members of Supporters United, not the new season ticket holders who'll come in. And United is pretty well insulated against boycotts, as I've already said Nike own the rights to the merchandise (presumably United get an amount of money from them, with an additional percentage of anything over a certain amount, that's a pretty standard business deal), the sponsors and advertisers will still be on tv and in publicity and newspaper photos, so they won't be paying any less, and I would assume the tea bars, programme stalls and everything else at Old Trafford is on a franchise basis, so the people who'll suffer in the short-medium term are going to be the franchisee's, not United and certainly not Glazer.

Wiseman
25-05-2005, 12:03
wanderingblade you are a genius that is the funniest thing i have seen in a long time:D *salutes the almight wandering blade*

wanderingblade
25-05-2005, 13:33
I feel obliged to point out that I stole it, not created it - and the person I stole it from stole it and so on...

But damn funny still, I feel we can all agree :D

Cypher
25-05-2005, 14:39
Funny indeed. I think I SMS'ed it to about a dozen people (not all of whom Im guessing appreciated the joke :evilgrin:

nevermore
30-05-2005, 11:46
Its not as if anyone outside london watched the game, being that most off united's fan base do not live anywhere near manchester :D

wanderingblade
30-05-2005, 13:09
Its not as if anyone outside london watched the game, being that most off united's fan base do not live anywhere near manchester :D

This is a true story, or so I've been told - a few years back, Crystal Palace were in the FA Cup semi-final with the Rags at Villa Park. Anyway, it was decided that United would get the southern car park despite Palace being a London club, because of how many from the South were coming to support United. And this was early 90s, certainly remember there being a lot of coachs with United on coming up from the south.

redemptionist15
30-05-2005, 13:41
Its not as if anyone outside london watched the game, being that most off united's fan base do not live anywhere near manchester

*Sighs* when will people learn this isnt true.

I guess most people that say this have never been to Old Trafford.

nevermore
30-05-2005, 13:44
*Sighs* when will people learn this isnt true.

I guess most people that say this have never been to Old Trafford.

Its now called 'Sold Trafford' a subsiduary of wal mart :D