PDA

View Full Version : Wood elf dispel reroll

Warp-Juicer
06-02-2010, 07:52
I have a question regarding the Wood Elf arcane item that allows a reroll of a failed dispel attempt - the name escapes me at the moment.

First, the point of contention.
According to the FAQs of Doom, it is stated that the same thing regarding double 1s and rerolls carries over to dispel rolls as well. Simply put, results of double 1s and double sixes are considered first, before attempting to reroll, unless stated otherwise.

It was argued that "reroll all failed dispel attempts" is "stated otherwise" - (When would you reroll a successful attempt? I ask myself)

Anyways, The wood elves being a Sixth Edition book: was there a similar rule under sixth edition?

Shamutanti
06-02-2010, 08:29
You on 'bout the Wand of Wych Elm?

I hadn't considered this actually - interesting.

Avian
06-02-2010, 09:18
I'm not sure what the question actually is. :confused:

If it is whether or not you can use the Wand after rolling a double 1 for a dispel attempt, then the answer is yes no. There is nothing something in the rules stating that if you have a dispel re-roll, you can't use it on a double 1.

EDIT: Nevermind, I see it now

T10
06-02-2010, 11:03
It was argued that "reroll all failed dispel attempts" is "stated otherwise" - (When would you reroll a successful attempt? I ask myself)

Anyways, The wood elves being a Sixth Edition book: was there a similar rule under sixth edition?

You mean this FAQ entry?

--
Q. Do the rules for double 1s and 6s for dispelling spells
follow the same guidelines as the one for casting spells
(ie. do the double 1s and 6s have to be considered before
any re-rolls, unless otherwise specified)?
A. Yes, before re-rolls, unless a special rule specifies
differently.
--

Yes, the Wand of the Wych Elm cannot be used to re-roll the dispel attempt if the first roll includes double 1's.

-T10

Warp-Juicer
06-02-2010, 19:56
You mean this FAQ entry?

--
Q. Do the rules for double 1s and 6s for dispelling spells
follow the same guidelines as the one for casting spells
(ie. do the double 1s and 6s have to be considered before
any re-rolls, unless otherwise specified)?
A. Yes, before re-rolls, unless a special rule specifies
differently.
--

Yes, the Wand of the Wych Elm cannot be used to re-roll the dispel attempt if the first roll includes double 1's.

-T10

Yea, I've layed these facts infront of them. A RAW rules lawyer chimed in that it says "reroll ALL(or is it any) failed rerolls" so therefor it clearly means those.

His response was "Zomg Edition bleed mine was supposed to work that way"
So yea, I need someone who has access to the sixth ed book to help me :)

narrativium
06-02-2010, 20:07
Well, if you want to go RAW, then technically yes you can re-roll the failed dispel attempt. It's just that regardless of whether the re-roll is successful, unless otherwise specified (which the Wand does not) the original double-1 still stands so the re-roll fails automatically by default, and there's no actual point to re-rolling the dice. But feel free to pick them up and roll them again in futile protest against your ill fortune.

enyoss
06-02-2010, 20:22
Yea, I've layed these facts infront of them. A RAW rules lawyer chimed in that it says "reroll ALL(or is it any) failed rerolls" so therefor it clearly means those.

That's pretty weak. By that reasoning, every time you are permitted to re-roll dispel dice would qualify as a special rule overriding the double 1's fail rule, rendering the FAQ completely redundant.

The intention of the FAQ and how it works with the Wand of Wych Elm is crystal clear: there's no special dispensation so the the re-rolls are subject to the usual restrictions, that is an initial roll including double 1's may not be re-rolled.

Also, there's no argument for interpretting the army book rules taking into account the edition the book was written in (i.e. 6th rather than 7th edition). Otherwise you could argue to reinstate the single model targetting restrictions which made the Altar Kindred so awesome, or that Questing Knights should get +2 strength from their great weapons.

Warp-Juicer
06-02-2010, 21:50
That's pretty weak. By that reasoning, every time you are permitted to re-roll dispel dice would qualify as a special rule overriding the double 1's fail rule, rendering the FAQ completely redundant.

The intention of the FAQ and how it works with the Wand of Wych Elm is crystal clear: there's no special dispensation so the the re-rolls are subject to the usual restrictions, that is an initial roll including double 1's may not be re-rolled.

Also, there's no argument for interpretting the army book rules taking into account the edition the book was written in (i.e. 6th rather than 7th edition). Otherwise you could argue to reinstate the single model targetting restrictions which made the Altar Kindred so awesome, or that Questing Knights should get +2 strength from their great weapons.

Right, I figured as much but its hard to explain things to people who want to WAAC.

Hence my curiosity about the 6th ed rulebook

Avian
06-02-2010, 21:59
Hence my curiosity about the 6th ed rulebook
Exactly the same wording though without the example at the end.

Warp-Juicer
06-02-2010, 22:43
Exactly the same wording though without the example at the end.

Groovy thanks Avian.