PDA

View Full Version : Beastlord out of place.

Creeser
06-02-2010, 14:43
HI. I just bought the new book today, and started to look some army lists. First thing that i noticed was that there is almost none good place to put my Beastlord general or my other gor heros. Bestigors are too expencive, gors haw no armor, so they die fast and the block must be about 30 strong=expencive.

Then there is minos and chariots. Minos seems like decent choise, but the beastlord would only slow them. So the last choise would be the chariots, mainly the razorgor-one. Ok, beastlord in that would make some serious damage, and can go and kill enemy characters. But that means that his ld9 is driving all over the board. And it only needs one cannonball to end its road.

So what kind of desicions have you made? Please share them:)

kyussinchains
06-02-2010, 15:01
I'm planning on putting him in a large unit of Gors with shields, a T4 model with a 5+ save is actually slightly more resilient than a T3 model with a 4+ save, so it's at least as good as putting him in a unit of empire spearmen for example. I've not read the book in enough detail yet to know what I'd equip him with, I plan on letting him do the killing and use the gors for static CR, bestigors can look after themselves....

scarvet
06-02-2010, 15:03
I think Gor and Ungor are prefect place for Beastlord. It would be rather odd to switch from an 50% Skirmish army to a normal one; but trust me, that's how every other army is played.

Remember your Beastlord isn't necessary a super tough killing machine of doom. Having support item is more important in most cases.

Malorian
06-02-2010, 15:04
The nice thing about the new book is that with all the cheap throw-away unit you really should be getting the charge off, so with that in mind I think in a good sized unit of Gors (I'm talking ~25) w/ extra hand weapons they could put out some major hurt plus have the static combat res to back it up.

That being said, I think the dombull is the better choice.

willowdark
06-02-2010, 16:47
Sure, a cannonball will pop a chariot, but it'll drop a Dragon too. That's not really a reflection on the Chariot. Now, a dragon _is_ ten times as maneuverable as a chariot, but with harpies and dogs you can just keep him out of LoS for a turn until you've dealt with those cannons.

I also think that Bestial Surge has some potential against gunlines, to get you across faster and reduce your exposure, but that'll require some more play testing.

And not every army has cannons.

sulla
06-02-2010, 17:52
Generally, I'd say on a chariot. I'd only want him in a rnf unit if they had a gorebull BSB to insulate vs psychology but that's quite a target then...

LaurentleBete
06-02-2010, 17:53
HI. I just bought the new book today, and started to look some army lists. First thing that i noticed was that there is almost none good place to put my Beastlord general or my other gor heros. Bestigors are too expencive, gors haw no armor, so they die fast and the block must be about 30 strong=expencive.

Then there is minos and chariots. Minos seems like decent choise, but the beastlord would only slow them. So the last choise would be the chariots, mainly the razorgor-one. Ok, beastlord in that would make some serious damage, and can go and kill enemy characters. But that means that his ld9 is driving all over the board. And it only needs one cannonball to end its road.

So what kind of desicions have you made? Please share them:)

Razorgor Chariot.

'Nuff said.

Chicago Slim
06-02-2010, 18:13
Sure, a cannonball will pop a chariot, but it'll drop a Dragon too.

Jigga-WAH?

Dragons have 6 wounds. That means that the BEST cannons in the game have a 1/6 chance of killing a dragon in a single hit.

The WORST cannons in the game have a 100% chance of killing a chariot in a single hit.

So, uh, yeah-- not a great comparison.

willowdark
06-02-2010, 18:50
I'm sorry. Are 1/6 chances exceptionally low odds? I roll 6's all the time. Don't you?

It's not a perfect comparison, but it's not exactly egregious. A cannon is still a big threat to a dragon. The point is that fear of cannons shouldn't be the sole deciding factor, since only 2 armies, not including DoW, have access to cannons and they're a danger to everyone.

If he wants a chariot, there are tactics to deal with cannons, which everyone must become versed in at some point.

Sygerrik
06-02-2010, 21:50
Razorgor chariot. There are lots of reasons, but one big one is that there are builds that give you a hojillion attacks based on how many guys are in base contact, and chariot base =more attacks.

nzdarkelf
07-02-2010, 00:49
But that means that his ld9 is driving all over the board. And it only needs one cannonball to end its road.

Well the cannonball shot might be a problem true, but your Ld9 driving all over the board is a bit of an illusion. Remember chariots can't march, so its not really that mobile. If you wish to keep his Ld centred it will remain so for the most part.

Darkmaw
07-02-2010, 08:20
If his leadership is needed in many places (which i would expect), then i would opt to put him in a unit of medium sized ungor skirmishers, albeit unfluffy.

This allows him to project his LD 10" +12" = 22" distance. Which is good for whichever unit that needs his LD badly.

Elazar The Glorified
07-02-2010, 08:28
If his leadership is needed in many places (which i would expect), then i would opt to put him in a unit of medium sized ungor skirmishers, albeit unfluffy.

This allows him to project his LD 10" +12" = 22" distance. Which is good for whichever unit that needs his LD badly.

I think there's a lot of potential in full sized units of Ungor Skirmishers for bunkering support characters. Shamans as well would benefit from the 360 LOS and the ability to move where they're needed before they cast their support spells. Plus for each character in one of these units you can have another cheap unit waiting in ambush :)

innerwolf
07-02-2010, 09:03

Ld 9? Or have I read wrong?

Elazar The Glorified
07-02-2010, 09:39
Ld 9? Or have I read wrong?

Yes, Darkmaw was saying he has an effective 22" range on his leadership as he can march 10" with the skirmishers and then there's a 12" range on his leadership afterwards.

Seth the Dark
08-02-2010, 02:19
Placing a character in a unit of ungors is just asking for it to die.

Elazar The Glorified
08-02-2010, 08:18
Placing a character in a unit of ungors is just asking for it to die.

Care to elaborate?
The main use for the Ungors was to keep a support character safe in a quick, mobile unit. There's enough of them to keep him safe if your opponent pulls any dirty tricks and he can easily join a heftier unit of Gors or Bestigors when you're ready for him to enter the fray (if at all). Otherwise and unit of Ungors has quite a good range of travel behind your battleline and can effectively deal with any march blockers who might park themselves there.