PDA

View Full Version : Back to Fantasy w/ 1,500 pts. O&G

gab-skull trasher
06-02-2010, 16:47
So it's been a while since i played WHFB since I've been playing more 40k lately, since almost everyone i know plays 40K. Anyways I am having battle of Fantasy against one of my brothers, and it's been a long while since I've played Fantasy, so i would be grateful if you guys could help me improve my army list, he's probably going to use Empire so my tactics are fairly easy, tie up his range units with fast moving units (Spider Riders,Chariots) weaken his support units with Spells & Chukkas, and finally hit him fast and hit him hard with mobs of Orcs and Trolls:

Heroes:

Black Orc Big Boss: 119pts.*
-Heavy Armour,Martog's Best Basha,Enchanted Shield

NGoblin Shaman: 85pts.
-Lvl. 2 Shaman

NGoblin Shaman: 85pts.
-Lvl. 2 Shaman

Core:

Orc Boyzx20: 150pts.*
-FC,Shields

Orc Boyzx20: 170pts.
-FC,Additional Choppa

-FC,Additional Choppa

NGoblinx25: 120pts.
-FC,Spears

NGoblinx25: 120pts.
-FC,Spears

Forest Goblin Spidersx5: 65pts.

Forest Goblin Spidersx5: 65pts.

Special:

Goblin Spear Chukkax2: 70pts.

Orc Boar Chariot: 80pts.

Rare:

Trollsx3: 120pts.

Total:..................1,499pts.

PD: 6
DD: 4
Models: 123 models, 4 Warmachines & 3 Monsters

So what do you guys think :) C&C Welcome

Jind_Singh
06-02-2010, 17:43
drop the 2nd unit of night goblins - with no netters or fanatics they are not worth bringing.
Using the points you free up grab netters (35pts), 1-2 fantics (25-50), and then get musicians, bows for your fast cav, and bullys for the warmachines - belive me, ld 7 helps out big time, as does the bully in combat if your warmachines get charged.

And then if you have about 10pts left grab magic mushrooms for the shamans to really throw home a big spell just when you need it!

Personally speaking a doom diver is more suefull than trolls in smaller games as your big boss is only ld 8, in big games a warboss has ld 9 so thye dont fail their tests so often.

But great, solid list - even the way it is - lots of great core troops! be carefull with the chariots, they are best used deployed BETWEEN orc boy units, hidden almost between them. Dont let the enemy draw clean lines of sights to them with warmachines, and dont allow them to be charged. Send the boys forwards and when you close enugh call the waaagh, charge with boys AND the chariots! SMASH! Or sometimes the boys are charged by enemy, pray you can hold the charge and then counter-charge with chariots. belive me, chariots used like that really scare the enemy as he's afraid to close on your line but you can run at them full pelt!

gab-skull trasher
06-02-2010, 19:43
drop the 2nd unit of night goblins - with no netters or fanatics they are not worth bringing.
Using the points you free up grab netters (35pts), 1-2 fantics (25-50), and then get musicians, bows for your fast cav, and bullys for the warmachines - belive me, ld 7 helps out big time, as does the bully in combat if your warmachines get charged.

And then if you have about 10pts left grab magic mushrooms for the shamans to really throw home a big spell just when you need it!

Personally speaking a doom diver is more suefull than trolls in smaller games as your big boss is only ld 8, in big games a warboss has ld 9 so thye dont fail their tests so often.

But great, solid list - even the way it is - lots of great core troops! be carefull with the chariots, they are best used deployed BETWEEN orc boy units, hidden almost between them. Dont let the enemy draw clean lines of sights to them with warmachines, and dont allow them to be charged. Send the boys forwards and when you close enugh call the waaagh, charge with boys AND the chariots! SMASH! Or sometimes the boys are charged by enemy, pray you can hold the charge and then counter-charge with chariots. belive me, chariots used like that really scare the enemy as he's afraid to close on your line but you can run at them full pelt!

Alright i have edited my list with most of your suggestions. I also have no idea how better the doom diver would be as currently i don't own one, I only have the Trolls and a Giant. And my Trolls have proven to be very good on all most all the games I've used them. Yes i learned the hard way how to properly use my chariots after they kept getting destroyed by cannons and high Strength Bolt Throwers :( Any ways here's a revised list, Thanks for the help :) :

Heroes:

NGoblin Shaman: 95pts.
-Lvl. 2 Shaman,x1 Magic Mushroom

-Lvl. 2 Shamanx1 Magic Mushroom

Core:

Orc Boyzx20: 150pts.*
-FC,Shields

-FC,Additional Choppa

-FC,Additional Choppa

NGoblinx25: 205pts.
-FC,Spears,Netters,x2 Fanatics

Goblin Wolf Ridersx5: 71pts.
-Bows, Musician

Goblin Wolf Ridersx5: 65pts.
-Bows

Special:

Goblin Spear Chukkax2: 80pts.
-x2 Orc Bullies

Rare:

Trollsx3: 120pts.

Total:..................1,500pts.

PD: 6 & 2 Magic Mushrooms
DD: 4
Models: 100 models, 4 Warmachines & 3 Monsters

So what do you guys think :) C&C Welcome

Jind_Singh
06-02-2010, 21:19
yeah theres nothing we can do with the list without really changing the essence of it. Things I still dont care for, but have no say in the matter as we dont have the points to deal with it

1) Orc Boyz - units of 30 work best so you get outnumber, and keep your ranks for longer, BUT dealing with 3 units of 20 as opposed to 2 units of 30 - thats a tough choice to make! on the one hand you have 2 huge units, plus you saved 30 pts from not buying the 3rd command. On the other hand, 3 units of 20 also pack a punch....blimey its a tough choice!
2) Additional choppas - they were taken out my list for big blocks of troops as they died so easy, I find the h/w sheild combo stronger for the 4+ save in combat - even against knights with their str 5 charge you still get a 6+ save (slim, but better than no save!) additional choppas were given over to units of naked 12 boyz, 6 wide, who ran forwards as a cheap distraction unit that has 12 str 4 attacks on the charge! Sometimes I'd give them a musician
3) Trolls - I love them too, dont get me wrong. They have never let me down in games, I was just suggesting an alternate rare choice but wasnt sure if you had the model. Giant is fun, but the trolls last longer and hit harder
4) Kick your brothers Sigmarite ass!!!!

gab-skull trasher
07-02-2010, 02:24
yeah theres nothing we can do with the list without really changing the essence of it. Things I still dont care for, but have no say in the matter as we dont have the points to deal with it

1) Orc Boyz - units of 30 work best so you get outnumber, and keep your ranks for longer, BUT dealing with 3 units of 20 as opposed to 2 units of 30 - thats a tough choice to make! on the one hand you have 2 huge units, plus you saved 30 pts from not buying the 3rd command. On the other hand, 3 units of 20 also pack a punch....blimey its a tough choice!
2) Additional choppas - they were taken out my list for big blocks of troops as they died so easy, I find the h/w sheild combo stronger for the 4+ save in combat - even against knights with their str 5 charge you still get a 6+ save (slim, but better than no save!) additional choppas were given over to units of naked 12 boyz, 6 wide, who ran forwards as a cheap distraction unit that has 12 str 4 attacks on the charge! Sometimes I'd give them a musician
3) Trolls - I love them too, dont get me wrong. They have never let me down in games, I was just suggesting an alternate rare choice but wasnt sure if you had the model. Giant is fun, but the trolls last longer and hit harder
4) Kick your brothers Sigmarite ass!!!!

1)Well can you tell me your experience with Orc Mobs 30 strong, i just think is just to big of a unit, I mean I would hate to see me losing 200+pts. on a unit that got one wound by a salamander, then failed their LD test and ran off the table :(. I just have a feeling that this is going to happen to me.

2)I know i'm currently trying to save enough money to buy another box of Boyz and switch one mob with Add.C. for shields.(hehe problems you face when your making 6 different armies at one time)

3)Well i've seen many list using the Doom Diver would appreciate any and all feedback from people about this unit

4)Yes i Will WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Jind_Singh
07-02-2010, 21:19
1) Experiance with boyz mobs at 30 strong - leadership tests - mob of 30 fail as often as mobs of 10, its down to the dice gods, but I can't worry about that - what I worry about is outnumbering my foe, and maintaining my ranks for as long as possible - which is were the 30 boys come in handy. ALso allows me to deploy 6 wide, 5 deep if I want wider frontage, very versatile number for a unit.
2) I feel your pain - I'm always in this boat!
3) Doom Diver - bit of a life saver for Orcs and Goblins - allows us to pick on skirmishers and fast cav, and fliers - all of those are the bane of any Orc and Goblin army! Why? We lack options with dealing with the more mobile units, sure we have our own spider riders and wolf riders (and to an extent Squig Hoppers) but sometimes its tough to dislodge the buggers - so doom diver is great for D6 str 5 hits with no armour save! And the fact it can correct it's aim by D3 inches- thats huge as it allows you to redirect the hit if you miss (and being an orcs and golblins player we're bound to miss more than hit!).
And its also great for knocking out armoured units - like Knights - or wounding steam tanks. All in all a very verstaile unit, but by no means will it win games for you on its own - it's meant as a wonderful support unit.

gab-skull trasher
09-02-2010, 05:13
Well I guess you have convinced me to try out the Doom Diver,Jind_Singh,me and my brothers don't like proxing on Fantasy but i don't think he'll mind me proxing one unit out of the entire army. Now with the extra points I can't do much since their only 40pts. so with the free points I added a musician to the second Wolf Riders unit and added some more Boyz to my mobs, to try to keep their ranks for a longer time.

Heroes:

-Lvl. 2 Shaman,x1 Magic Mushroom

-Lvl. 2 Shamanx1 Magic Mushroom

Core:

Orc Boyzx21: 156pts.*
-FC,Shields

Orc Boyzx22: 184pts.
-FC,Additional Choppa