PDA

View Full Version : Shaman necessary in a Beastmen list?

Orangecoke
07-02-2010, 00:58
Hey guys

I'm really digging the Gors, minotaurs, Gorebull etc and not as keen on the bray shamans. Thing is, I'm a serious amateur at this game - would a list without shamans be severely crippled by enemy magic?

PS - Im thinking in the 1250 range (ie no lords).

Shamutanti
07-02-2010, 01:38
Really not a concern at that points level.

Magic at that level is all or nothing. If they choose to go magic heavy they won't have much else on the board and frankly you won't be able to deal with stopping that magic (unless you go magic heavy) so you may as well just roll through it.

phoenixguard09
07-02-2010, 03:40
Just wondering, why don't you like Bray Shamans?

If it's the models keep in mind you can convert them.

If you just don't like the idea or ryules then don't use them.

Orangecoke
07-02-2010, 03:54
I like the idea of a more melee oriented bunch of beasts basically, but dont want to get vaporized by magic :)

Urdokadin
08-02-2010, 00:14
you could mount those shaman up on razorgore chariots so that they can be useful rank breakers and lane controllers

LaurentleBete
08-02-2010, 00:57
Hey guys

I'm really digging the Gors, minotaurs, Gorebull etc and not as keen on the bray shamans. Thing is, I'm a serious amateur at this game - would a list without shamans be severely crippled by enemy magic?

PS - Im thinking in the 1250 range (ie no lords).

I'm not a massive fan of shamans either, and at that points level it really shouldn't be a problem for you.

Had a 2500 points battle against Lizardmen today, didn't have a single shaman and managed to score a solid victory.

phoenixguard09
08-02-2010, 09:10
No magic in a 2500 against Lizards. You are a much braver man than me my friend. :)

However in 1250 you should probably be safe without one Orangecoke.

Chain
08-02-2010, 11:43
I'm not a massive fan of shamans either, and at that points level it really shouldn't be a problem for you.

Had a 2500 points battle against Lizardmen today, didn't have a single shaman and managed to score a solid victory.

Just wondering did you have a cygor?

LaurentleBete
08-02-2010, 19:32
Just wondering did you have a cygor?

Just one, and it died in the third turn. However those three turns were more then enough time for me to kill the enemie's lone skink priest.

willowdark
08-02-2010, 22:45
HA! Lone Skink Priest!?! You should've mentioned that in the first post.

Sorry, but 2500 pts of Slann lizards would've been a lot different. I wasn't picturing it that way.

Havock
08-02-2010, 22:58
Quite so. Most lizard lists I've seen run with a slann and at least (though rarely more than) one engine.

That's quite some hitting power there (see 'free dice for spells'-slann power) and solid magic defense.

Seth the Dark
08-02-2010, 23:42
Unless you know what army you are going against, a Shaman is almost a necessity in order to provide you with at least some magic defense.

LaurentleBete
09-02-2010, 22:28
Quite so. Most lizard lists I've seen run with a slann and at least (though rarely more than) one engine.

That's quite some hitting power there (see 'free dice for spells'-slann power) and solid magic defense.

Yeah I did deliberately tell him to go magic light so I could actually try out some of the nastier things in the list without spending my entire compliment of points on magic defence. I hate magic.

However imo the lores the slann can choose from aren't really anything to be that scared of. It's more just a big block of points that you just can't crack.

phoenixguard09
10-02-2010, 05:33
I don't know. I'm scared of Slaan with High Magic.

Sorry Laurentlebete but if you don't like magic, play 40K. :D

Just kidding. But not really. :D

medevilmike
10-02-2010, 16:29
under 2k I play without and magic def. at all with most of my armies. Beasts are just that...BEASTS...under 2k they are so powerful I dont know if running a shammy would help half as much as the points spent on him would hurt your opponent.
then again against some army's you may still need one caddy.
Over 2k, you almost always need at least 1 shammy....maybe more, but I have found beasts to be so fast that even over 2k without shammies I havent had to many problems with magic.(refuse to play DE)

LaurentleBete
11-02-2010, 01:40
I don't know. I'm scared of Slaan with High Magic.

Sorry Laurentlebete but if you don't like magic, play 40K. :D

Just kidding. But not really. :D

Haha, I know, I know.

I just dislike that I'm either having to go very magic heavy, or a level 1 scroll caddy to have it work. I'd much rather just have one level 2 shaman actually have him do something.

However I did have a battle today against a 2k WoC army who a tzeentch sorcerer lord, a tzeentch sorcerer and a nurgle sorcerer. All I had was a Cygor and a level 1 Scroll caddy. I actually managed to hold off his magic pretty effectively with it, which was a nice surprise.

willowdark
11-02-2010, 15:43
Did the Cygor actually force a miscast? Looking at the numbers it doesn't seem likely, but even one miscast a game would be worth it.