PDA

View Full Version : Wood Elves or Empire

Templar47
07-02-2010, 03:57
Hey guys. Well after playing a few different fantasy armies in the past (Dwarfs, Bretonnia, DOW, and HE), I'm ready to start playing fantasy again for the first time in 3 years and I'm trying to find n army that fits me really well, I've decided to try next either Wood Elves or the Empire. Just looking for some opinions and some feedback on which one I should play as. Thnx for the help.

Shiodome
07-02-2010, 04:25
Best place to start with (if looking for help) is share what it is you want from an Army. Its 'look', it's playstyle, it's $ cost, it's modeling opportunities etc. Otherwise people are just going to tell you what they like, which isn't really any use to you.

tezdal
07-02-2010, 04:27
Well Wood elves would be cheaper to start, but since I've never played WE's and havnt been an Empire player since 5th, can help ya much.

Templar47
07-02-2010, 04:49
Well, I used to play armies with blocks of infantry and warmachines (aka Dwarfs and DOW), but had to sell them and I then decided to try a different army w/Bretonnia but they got boring pretty quick since all they are is a point and click army. I then tried the high elves when they came out but so did like 4 other people (who still play them at my store) and they just didn't fit me. The Wood Elves I'm interested in because a shooting army is something I haven't tried yet and i'm interested in the Empire because there's so much variety with there army and what you can do. So if anyone can give me opinions or reasons why I should go either empire or WE, I'd appreciate it.

Condottiere
07-02-2010, 09:12
Wood Elves for a change of pace; Empire would be a little too similar to blocks, assuming you find this aspect boring.

Arbiter7
07-02-2010, 10:11
Depends on how you feel about block gaming CC.

If you want to get on everyone else's nerves by playing an inherently non-block army which dances around blocks in a game where the close combat system is 90% designed for blocks, go ahead with woodies! ;)

If you want an army which the vast majority of units is sub par, but utilizes careful block placing and combinations to get to win by CR, then go Empire.

If you want a gunline army then I shouldn't be speaking to you :shifty:

Go with something different from what you already play. I don't like woodies because they are shifty and tricksy :p and I've just started on Empire :cool: (oh the conversion opportunities!! :D), but playing a different gaming style whose looks you like (I mean the models), is one of the best incentives for a new army.

SilentTempest
07-02-2010, 10:52
I moved to Fantasy because I felt I wanted something that required a little more thought and foresight than 40K (I'm not having a bash, and not trying to start a WFB vs 40K argument here, so don't anyone else start one!), but also loved the fluff of Wood Elves, so I picked them. I now realise that Wood Elves don't require the same foresight as many other armies because so many of their units are skirmishers or fast cav, so I've found that I miss the exact thing I came to Fantasy for (to an extent).

Personally I think Empire would be an excellent army to play, since they can basically be anything you want them to be. Want a fast/mobile army? Just take lots of Knights, Pistoliers and mounted heroes. But you can also be shooty, blocky, whatever you want, pretty much...

And these days Empire is pretty much ALL PLASTIC! *hugs his plastics*

badgeraddict
07-02-2010, 11:00
I just had my first game using my new Wood Elves. I really, really enjoyed using them!

Admitedly I got massacred by Orcs & Goblins...

I like the emphasis on movement and shooting the most, oh and getting to move forests around the table!

scarletsquig
07-02-2010, 11:47
Go for wood elves, they're less common than empire and girls like them more.

I'm saying that as an Empire player, too. :p

cyberspite
07-02-2010, 16:47
If you like the idea of a shooty army then empire would probably be more effective, I know traditionally woodies are thought of as a shooty army, and you can build them to be one, but don't expect it to be as effective as an empire gunline. I just think they have stronger combat options.

PeG
07-02-2010, 17:08
As someone who plays WE as my main army I wouldnt really define them as shooty. It is correct that WE have some of the most efficient archers in the game with relatively high BS, S4 in short range and move and shoot without penalty.

However we are lacking any type of warmachines or other shooting with high S to deal with high T/armour targets. This means that we need to use close combat units and terrain to deal with these targets. On the other hand we have access to dryads, wardancers and larger trees to take care of that.

WE main weaknesses at the moment are magic defence and that we have problems with dealing with multiple T5/T6 monsters (dragons, abdominations, hydras etc). Empire are stronger in both of these aspects.

Hjiryon
07-02-2010, 17:10
Wood elves (much to my dismay) turned out not to be much of a shooty army when I started collecting them.
What they do have and what I like them for instead is skirmishing. In the oppinion of in our LGS, they just play a different game, because half their units ignore normal movement restrictions.

Some might complain that this means they ignore half the game - but it's not a forgiving army as nothing outside Eternal guard (which is "normal" elite ranked infantry) and the treeman (almost 300 points on one model - pray that your opponent doesn't get pit of shades off on it) can take a halfway serious charge.

So it's glasscannon skirmishing and harassment, with a healthy amount of fearcausers tossed in for good measure and loads of str 3 or 4 arrows as spice.

If you seriously want an elven gunline, both of the other elven armies do better in that regard. All in all, if you do not want to cater to the skirmishing aspect of the army, dark elves is probably the better army period.

Commodus Leitdorf
07-02-2010, 20:58
Empire

The Feathers and Cod pieces speak for themselves.

tezdal
08-02-2010, 04:03
Wood Elves, cause even when you live in the woods apparently you can own shoes.

ChaosVC
08-02-2010, 04:29
Can't really give you opinnions on what would be good for you if your do not give us any information about your likes and preferences.

IMHO,

I like wood elves because its the most unique fantasy army around that have an uncoventional way to play, 2 words "guerilla warfare". Models are also great, from glade guards, riders to dryads and wardancers.

Empire, if you love the age of renassiance, you will like this army. Your typical human army fighting its way with renassiance technology, drilling system and a bit of vodoo.
Decent models, nothing out standing but still fun and challenging to paint and nice to collect.

Thats all I got.

Condottiere
08-02-2010, 09:12
I see that Shoeless in Altdorf is going to become another injoke.

tezdal
08-02-2010, 09:33
I just like to flog the same dead horse, barefoot militia would be okay, or even barefoot bretonnian peasants, but state troops? ARGHHH

Col. Dash
08-02-2010, 13:18
Go with woodies. They are a fast fun army, require a lot of thought to play them effectively and they have all sorts of neat tricks up their sleeves.

Empire is kind of a form up the squares and march at the enemy preparing to meet the charge kind of army or its an unfun gunline where you wont make any friends.
They do have cool minis as well if you want to pay for them out the nose, gold swords come to mind.

Woot 900th post. I just happened to notice lol.

brawnyman1989
08-02-2010, 14:29
Wood Elves, they're a really fun army. They also are still relatively competitive, and they have the best cavalry in the game, (Wild Riders)

Plus, they're a change of pace from the standard block style of Warhammer.

Lordsaradain
08-02-2010, 16:07
Personally I think Empire would be an excellent army to play, since they can basically be anything you want them to be. Want a fast/mobile army? Just take lots of Knights, Pistoliers and mounted heroes. But you can also be shooty, blocky, whatever you want, pretty much...

And these days Empire is pretty much ALL PLASTIC! *hugs his plastics*

I agree. Empire is a balanced army that can preform well in every phase of the game, and they have an excellent (Plastic!) model range.