PDA

View Full Version : Competitive All Goblins...... How?

Keetoowah
07-02-2010, 21:59
Ok, as many of you may know, I have recently come up with the idea of doing a Monty Python themed Empire army. I have decided to post-pone that for a few reasons. A: I suck at painting humans. B: I have very little money right now. C: I have a half completed goblin army that I have been meaning to finish. D:The idea of competitive goblins is so crazy and unexpected that I have to try it.

So, my question for you guys is, how do you make a competitive all goblin army?
(AKA, no orcs. Can include trolls, giants, and snotlings if necessary but I would much rather stick to ALL GOBLIN)

Witchblade
07-02-2010, 22:14
Gunline, if at all possible.

Ultimate Life Form
07-02-2010, 23:44
I have no personal experience in the matter, but from what I have gathered from pro's posts, you forgot the most important key word: That would be

Night Goblins.

Nurgling Chieftain
08-02-2010, 00:24
Proxy them as Dark Elves. ;) "They're in disguise!"

Shamutanti
08-02-2010, 01:23
I would say if you're going to do a Goblin force, make them Night goblins and invest in Skarsnik.

kris.sherriff
08-02-2010, 02:27
I have done ok with an all goblin force but you have to be ready to acept that even if you play a perfect game you may not win or even draw. So many things can go wrong that it does just stop being funny but if despite all of that you still want to give it a go I would advise you on a few key points.

You need a common goblin warboss if you are not taking skarsnic as Ld 8 is a must if you want any chance.

Warmachines are your friend, I run two spearchuckers, one rock lobber and one doom diver for a bit of a mix.

Squig Hoppers and spider riders are vital as you can stick them in woods and stuff to stop them being used by enemy scouts as you need to try to controle when they hit your battle line.

3ake a couple of units with full command to be you bait, draw you enemy towards these "easy" points then hit them with all wour shooting, redirect them with snotlings and your other throwaway units. Try to avoid combat with any of your units that are worth more than 100 points until turn 5 unless you are sure you will win and won't be out of position.

Your heroes can be used to good efect to give you unit strength 5 chariots fairly cheaply.

That's should give some talking points for now and I will add more tomorrow.

Kris

Time of Madness
08-02-2010, 02:28
Here is my current (very successful) all goblin list.

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218373&highlight=night

Time of Madness

Witchblade
08-02-2010, 02:51
Here is my current (very successful) all goblin list.

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218373&highlight=night

Time of Madness
Me likey this list. :)

orlanth1000
08-02-2010, 03:56
You can't have a goblin list without a suicide bomber goblin.....

Razakel
08-02-2010, 05:35
Wow Time of Madness, that list is extremely impressive. I think I'll show it to an Orcs & Goblins friend of mine and see what he thinks of it.

@ the thread, I've never lost a game against an all-goblin themed army. I personally have found them to be less effective versions of the overall Orcs & Goblins forces. This is in my experience, and I have had a number of close games, mostly versions of Time's list, but with Snotling bases and minus Skarsnik.

Warlord Ghazak Gazhkull
08-02-2010, 08:11
It depends on what you understand under competive, my last big tournament I ended with my goblins on table 2 where I faced deamons and I got whiped of the board. But that was a 1900pts tourny. Around here we have quite a few tournaments where we have odd points.

Anyway my current list I use at 2k is something like this

Goblin great shaman lv4, wolf, scroll, 5+ ward save
Goblin big boss, chariot
Goblin big boss, chariot ( the reason I don't post the equipment on these is because I change it almost every game, so people in my club keep geussing what they have).
Night goblin shaman, scroll, itty ring

3*21 Night goblins, musician, shortbows, 9 fanatic's
4*5 Fast cav

4 Spear chukka's
10 Squiq hoppers,
1 wolfchariot, extra crew

1 Doom diver
And of course a giant.

I had some good succes with this list. I'm sure this list can win a tournament if you have the right match ups. You may think I'm crazy to play with a ld7 army but I really want the magic so I can hand of gork my units in the flanks of the enemy and such. Of course there are other good builds for an all goblin list but I think this is one of the best builds around at the moment.

Personnaly I rarely use fully ranked units with full command since most unit can easily do more then 5 wounds on a goblin unit nowadays. The only ranked unit with full command that I field are my swiss grots( common goblins with shields and short bows), this unit is great. Cause it can shoot with all their ranks on a large target and in close combat they still have a 4+ armour save.

@Razakel: quite funny that you have never lost a game to an all goblin themed army, I can't remember when I lost for the last time to dwarves, I think it was in 6ed, but my goblins are skilled in toasting dwarves:p.

Cheers,
G

FatByChoice
08-02-2010, 20:40
This thread makes me want to keep working on my all goblin army lol. I had half proxied up a list for a game against a friend of mine playing dwarfs. Due to my opponent not having a book, and greatly misunderstanding one of his runes, he ended up winning. Had he owned the book, I probably would have destroyed him (he said he could make ALL my units take a ld test and if they failed would have to charge through my fanatics). The list was somthing like this:

Level 4 Night Goblin Mage
2x Level 2 Night Goblin Mage
1x Night Goblin Warboss, BSB

2x Doom Divers

220ish Night Goblins
27ish Fanatics

I had picked up 4 boxes of the Battle for Skulls Pass at half price so thats why I have that many goblins lol. Fun list though, but the fanatics take forever to roll.

Slayerthane
08-02-2010, 22:33
I really like that list Time of Madness posted. I know at my game store the standard is 2250pts and this list is 2000pts so I would probably make 2 shamans regular goblin shamans and put them in chariots. That will help keep them out of trouble, also make the chariots unit strength 5 so they negate ranks when charging the flanks or rear and add 2 more special choices to the army list.

Keetoowah
09-02-2010, 02:05
I went into Games Workshop today and was convinced to continue with my Monty Python Empire project. I was also told by one of my friends that works there that he would help me with the green stuff work and teach me an effective way to quickly paint humans.

Time of Madness
09-02-2010, 03:39
Hey glad you guys like my list :) I win more games then I lose with it, which makes it successful in my opinion. It looks mean on the table top!
Time of Madness

w3rm
09-02-2010, 03:39
I really really really like Ghazak's list. Must. Not. Shamelessly. Copy. Maybe just a few tweaks. :D

ftayl5
09-02-2010, 06:37
Eh... most people do gobbo armies to have fun, not to be competetive...

Darkmaw
09-02-2010, 15:05
Well someone i know brings a "fluffy" goblin horde

Lvl 4 Goblin Shaman Staff of +1 cast, 2 Dispel Scrolls
Lvl 2 NG shaman Itty Bitty Ring, Staff of +1 dispel
Lvl 2 NG shaman Staff of sneaky stealin
Orc BSB with Mork's spirit Totem

8 Units of NG with 3 Fanatics Each
8 Spear Chukkas
2 Doom Divers

Important Points about this army:
10 Casting Dice with +1 to cast and a Bound item

6 Dispel dice with Staff of sneaky stealin (Equivalent 2), Mork's Spirit (Potential 3) = 11 Dispel dice with +1 to dispel AND 2 Scrolls

24 Fanatics...enough said.

10 Warmachines

Witchblade
09-02-2010, 16:42
Orc BSB with Mork's spirit Totem

:shifty: Very sneaky.

Razakel
09-02-2010, 16:55
:shifty: Very sneaky.

You could always model him chained to the base with a goblin whipping him from the back - for good measure :D!

Also: :wtf: @ 24 Fanatics!

Olyphant
09-02-2010, 17:01
You could always model him chained to the base with a goblin whipping him from the back - for good measure :D!

Also: :wtf: @ 24 Fanatics!

24 fanatics is fantastic (although ott)! i had 6 on the table and cast waaaagh 3 times in a row (including one thanks to a miscast)... 6 fanatics bouncing through units 3 times is a killer :D

Jind_Singh
10-02-2010, 17:15
Wow Time of Madness, that list is extremely impressive. I think I'll show it to an Orcs & Goblins friend of mine and see what he thinks of it.

@ the thread, I've never lost a game against an all-goblin themed army. I personally have found them to be less effective versions of the overall Orcs & Goblins forces. This is in my experience, and I have had a number of close games, mostly versions of Time's list, but with Snotling bases and minus Skarsnik.

lol, I've been an O & G player for years and years but recently went over to pure Gobbos - I have massacred WoC twice, drawn 1 v's EMpire, massacred the EMpire twice, and drew dwarves - they are mean buggers!

Dranthar
10-02-2010, 22:43
I've had some good success with my Nite Gobbos, coming 6th/16 in an invitational tournament (ie none of the players were crap). I'm looking at improving the list though, so here's the current version;

Goblin Warboss w. Ulags Akrit Axe, Amulet of Protectyness, Iron Nashas 145

Night Goblin Shaman w. Level 2, Nibblas Itty Ring, Dispel Scroll 130

Night Goblin Shaman w. Level 2, Dispel Scroll, 2x Magic Mushrooms 130

Goblin Big Boss w. BSB, Red Raggedy banner, Light Armour 112

36 Night Goblins w. Full Cmd, Nets, Fanatic - 188

35 Night Goblins w. Standard, Musician, Nets, Fanatic 177

35 Night Goblins w. Standard, Musician, Nets, 2x Fanatics 202

21 Night Goblins w. Short Bows, Musician, Fanatic 92

5 Wolf Riders w. Spears, Short bows, Musician 76
5 Wolf Riders w. Spears, Short bows, Musician 76

5 Spider Riders ea w. Short Bows, Musician 76
5 Spider Riders ea w. Short Bows, Musician 76

2x Snotling Bases 40
2x Snotling Bases 40

8 Squig Hoppers 120

5 Squig Herd Teams 150

2x Goblin Spear Chukkas - 70

Stone Thrower 70

Doom Diver 80

5 Trolls - 200

TOTAL: 2250

The trolls used to be a giant and the BSB was a Bis Boss on a Great Cave Squig. Turns out the Great Cave squig isn't so great so I've finally relented and gone for some anti-panic insurance. :rolleyes:
Trolls in a Ld8 army doesn't sound like the best idea, but I've heard good things about them from others and they should make for a better (and harder to kill!) anvil than my giant.

kris.sherriff
11-02-2010, 02:01
I find that my unit of 3 trolls normaly works fine, I use them on the flank of my Generals unit as a counter charge threat, normaly angle them so that if they go stupid that they will still clip any unit that charges me.

I am still working on trying to get the giant cave squig to work for me and am currently running the battle brew and sword of might. It is really good when you don't roll a 1 or a 2.

Kris

Dranthar
11-02-2010, 02:39
I am still working on trying to get the giant cave squig to work for me and am currently running the battle brew and sword of might. It is really good when you don't roll a 1 or a 2
I've tried the Great Cave Squig in about 9 games (6 tournament, 3 other) equipped with the Battlebrew and Martogs Basha. What I've found is that since it doesn't ignore terrain like the squig hoppers he tends to have trouble doing anything of value. He can't chase skirmishers around, he's usually too slow for hitting fast cav and he's very average at supporting charges from your ranked infantry. :(

I also hasn't helped that he's been stupid in 6/9 games! When a unit is that unlucky, I stick it on the shelf and find something else. :rolleyes:

kris.sherriff
11-02-2010, 03:17
Why doesn't it ignore terrain?

I have to admit it does go stupid in about half the games I use it in but I have found it useful for throwing in to smaler units or to attract fire away from my blocks.

Kris

Dranthar
11-02-2010, 03:36
Why doesn't it ignore terrain?
Because it's not a skirmisher, it's not a US1 model and it doesn't have the 'ignore terrain' rule that squig hoppers have.

That's the best I can give without looking up the army/rule books. :rolleyes:

minionboy
11-02-2010, 03:44
My list is very similar to Time of Madness's. Basically, I use one less unit of squigs, have 2 more spear chuckas and fill the rest with spider riders.

The fast cavalry helps me out quite a bit.

kris.sherriff
11-02-2010, 04:17
Because it's not a skirmisher, it's not a US1 model and it doesn't have the 'ignore terrain' rule that squig hoppers have.

That's the best I can give without looking up the army/rule books. :rolleyes:

Now taking in to account that it is after 5 in the morning and I am on my seventh night of night guard and don't have my army book too hand I was sure that the Giant cave squigs rules for movement were the same entry as the hoppers with he only exception being that it could not join units.

I will read it again when I have had some sleep but feel free to roll your eyes at me for asking a question as much as you like.

Kris

Jind_Singh
11-02-2010, 05:50
Kris - your right - he moves like a normal squig hopper, not like a monstor. He must move the full 3D6 in a straight line, it mentions it just like that in the book - if any part of the move brings him into combat so be it!!!

Personally speaking my Night Goblin boss on Giant Squig is pure amazing! he has his crap games now and again when he flubs attacks, but generally speaking anything has bad days on the gaming table.

My current run is:

Night Goblin Big Boss, Light Armour, Sheild, Martog's best basha, Brimstone Bauble, Giant Squig

He's a nutter!! Six str 5 attacks, decent weapon skill, and if somehow he's killed he explodes! Sucide bomber or what?! Tuesday night he charged 3 Iron Guts, killed 1 out-right, carried a wound onto the next one - the remaining Ironguts squashed the lord who then dished out FIVE MORE WOUNDS! The entire unit exploded! The Giant Squig became frenzied and got hatred as a result of the monstor reaction table and carried on causing havoc. It was without doubt one of the best games ever with him.
But in other games he's realy well suited to kill Wraiths, pretty much anything I can point, click, and munch at!

Jind_Singh
11-02-2010, 05:53
I've had some good success with my Nite Gobbos, coming 6th/16 in an invitational tournament (ie none of the players were crap).

2x Snotling Bases 40
2x Snotling Bases 40

Good for you lad! I too am taking my 1000pt Goblins to a doubles this weekend with an Orc player - we're pumped up!

Questions:

1) Snotlings - a lot of good O & G players swear by them, I have yet to figure out their use in life - could you enlighten me please as to why 4 bases of snotlings are better than 5 more fast cav?

2) Squig herders - again I hear many good things about them, but I see them as fragile glass hammers that could cause my own army a world of pain!

3) No wolf chariots - any reason for no 18" chariot charges?

I'd really appreciate the answers!! :D

kris.sherriff
11-02-2010, 06:20
I use two lots of two snotling bases for;
redirecting
contesting quaters
hiding a mage in
charging at things with hatred to draw them away
every once in a while the flank charge stuff and win
sitting in front of units to stop them movin due to stupidity/animosity.,

So they have there uses.

I used to run the baubles but people just kill the squig to make him run off so I switched to the battle brew.

Kris

Dranthar
11-02-2010, 06:36
1) Snotlings - a lot of good O & G players swear by them, I have yet to figure out their use in life - could you enlighten me please as to why 4 bases of snotlings are better than 5 more fast cav?
First of all, you want two units of 2 bases, not a single unit of 4.

Snotlings are good because they are utterly reliable. They'll move every turn, you can count on them never to run from a failed psych test away, and they will almost always die horribly once the enemy charges them. They also won't cause panic in your own goblin units, all of which makes them a better choice than Fast cav for baiting enemy units to expose a flank or just hold them up while they agonise over whether to charge the snotlings and risk getting counter-charged. :D
Fast cav are still handy for holding up flanks, but they can be more of a liability if you stick them in front of your mainline units, since animosity can hold your army up and a paniced trio of wolves running through your army can lose you the game.

2) Squig herders - again I hear many good things about them, but I see them as fragile glass hammers that could cause my own army a world of pain!
Good god, why are you worried about squigs damaging your own units? D6 S5 hits is almost nothing to a horde army, but it's potentially crippling to an elite army like Dark Elves. :D
Squig herds are indeed glass hammers, but they're not as fragile as you think. They're still immune to psych so they won't run away until they lose combat (which won't necessarilly be a bad thing at that point). Getting charged can be tough for the little guys, but that's why you have diverters like snotlings. ;)
Finally, keep in mind that a squig herd is effectively 2 WS4 S5 attacks for just 6 points per model. I don't think there's a single other unit in WHFB that can do that much damage for so few points.

3) No wolf chariots - any reason for no 18" chariot charges?
Lack of chariot models. :rolleyes:
Honestly, if I had some chariots I'd make an attempt to fit them in, probably as a mount for a character (since special slots are tough to find in an O&G army).

Jind_Singh
11-02-2010, 06:53
mmm - too much good food for thought

Currently I have had lots of succes at the 1000pt level with this one

NG Big boss, martogs basha, bauble, squig, LA and shield
NG shaman, lvl 2, staff of badum, mushrooms

30 NG spears, FC, netters, 1 fanatic
20 NG archers, msc, 1 fanatic
5 Spiders, msc, bows
5 Spiders, msc, bows
5 wolves, msc, bows

5 Hoppers
2 spear chuckas

2 pump wagons

And its been a solid, rocking list - I'm actually so happy with it I was thinking of taking it to the doubles event his weekend with me mate - he is running pure orcs

But I for sure need help from this thread as I want to take the 1000 to 1500, and then 2250 in time for summer - theres a wicked tournment held in the states - like a proper one - were the one on the weekend is just at my local GW store

wraithl0rd
05-03-2010, 09:32
i think that your list will work with a pure orc army, you bait units and he could counter then (i would use this, i dont know if your friend will)