PDA

View Full Version : Old Blood Set-up Help

Preacher
08-02-2010, 16:13
Long story short, I got a tonne of Lizzie models in a trade a while ago, all which were brand new in the box. I was hoping to trade for other models, but decided...a Lizzie army is pretty cool.

So, I want to run an Old Blood on a Carnie instead of the super Slann and Temple Guard. But I've really been struggling on how to equip him. I was thinking

Old Blood
Carnie
Light Armour
Maiming Shield
Glyph Necklace
Piranha Blade

For the most part I want use him to mow through infantry, hopefully out on the flank. So I'm trying to guide my build that way. With the above build I think he can really start to rack up the wounds, once the Carnie gets a taste for blood.

The Old Blood is doubling wounds and the Carnie is causing D3 each.

Just for reference, the list will look something like this:

Old Blood and Carnie
Skink Priest with EOTG
2 blocks of Sarus (18 each)
10 skirmishing Skinks
2 units of Cold One Cav(5 a piece)
3 Terradons

But I'm a total noob when it comes to Lizzies, so thought I'd ask the experts.

Does the "double wounds" from the Piranha Blade only count toward combat res or are double the models removed from play? Yes, I realize this could be a very dumb question, but please see above lol.

Whats your Old Blood and Carnie build?

Thanks

Ultimate Life Form
08-02-2010, 16:20
Actually the double/triple wounds do nothing for killing regular Rank and File, so I'm not sure what you're playing at. My OB is a s follows:

Oldblood
Carnosaur
Light Armour
Enchanted Shield
Blade of Realities

The ultimate Monster killer, so the exact opposite from what you have in mind.

Preacher
08-02-2010, 17:02
Thanks for the info ULF.

Currently, I'm not playing anything. I wasn't sure how the item worked. I've never used an item that causes double wounds. Hence me wanting to double check.

The setup you have is no doubt great at dropping monsters and the like, but I wanted to try to use him roll through blocks with the Saurs Cav as back up.

Back to the drawing ...err.. spawning pool I suppose.

WarmbloodedLizard
08-02-2010, 17:43
I wanted to try to use him roll through blocks

OB, Carno, LA, Enchanted Shield, Sword of Might @ 400pts
(If you want to, you can also give him one of the wards.)

that's probably the best allround Carno-Oldblood. against normal RnF he hits on 3+ wounds on 2+ and leaves no Armor Save, dealing 4+ wounds (including carno), enough to charge most RnF into the front if he has to. (especially if there is a champ which will usually give him 5-6CR)

Alltaken
08-02-2010, 17:54
to mince thourgh units u can go:

scimitar of sun resp
maiming shield
(a pendant that gives 5+ward save)
light armour

or go enchanted shield and choose huanchis banner for extra charge inches that might enshure that nasty 8 inch cavalry doesnt charge u first.
Or even bane head to in case u get charged and dueled

The_Bureaucrat
08-02-2010, 18:02
Depends on what type of RnF troops you want to kill.
For the ones with a better armour save Blade of Reverend Tzunki , sword of might and burning blade are all pretty good.

Killing lots of cheap troops with no armor save you are better off with sword of striking or scimitar of the sun.

The rest of the weapons are more specialized in killing characters/monsters or not worth it.

Sygerrik
08-02-2010, 21:55
I remember in 6th ed. a nice setup was Scimitar of the Sun Resplendent, Maiming Shield, and Blessed Spawning of Sotek, for a 9-attack Oldblood on the charge plus Carnosaur attacks.

Rajhald
10-02-2010, 04:03
For RnF take the scimitar giving him +2 attacks hitting on 3 and wounding on 2/3 usually. Will be plenty to chew through RnF. But the carnosaur is a bit much for just troops, put him on a cold one, save the points and he will chew through them just fine.

Running an OB on a Carnosaur really has one purpose, to deal with the big ugly stuff, will eat hydras/stanks/basically anything it charges, especially with the Blade of Realities. For RnF I use the scarvet on a coldone with the scimitar, saves points and will devastate.

Preacher
10-02-2010, 14:06
Thank you everyone for all the great advice and examples of your builds.

@Rajhald - I was think maybe I should put him on a cold one and save a boatload of points, but I think I might try him on the Carnie, I've always wanted to paint the model. But I'll be modelling one on a Cold One forsure.

The build I think Im going to lean toward will be with Maiming Shield, Glyph Necklace and Burning Blade. I'm liking the -4 to armour saves.

Thanks again to everyone that replied!!!

SabaLoth
10-02-2010, 14:13
don't forget the wardrums for an flank or rear suprise!!!

Slayerthane
10-02-2010, 15:31
I would imagine War Drum would be a must have for any skink heavy army at least, +1 to rally? Especially mounted on a carnosaur, and using a bunch of skinks for bait and pull tactics could be a nasty combo with wardrums and an Oldblood. Again, this is all based on theory hammer as I don't play lizardmen.

Looking through the lizardmen armybook, I think Shield of the Mirrored pool is a must have as well. Basically a 2+ roll to ignore wounds (if not that, then something like that), is definitely a must for any lone character.

Really, I think the only reason to take an Oldblood is for the chance to mount him on a Carnosaur. A Scarvet does everything an Oldblood can do for half the price, and one less attack, weapon skill, and half the magic items allowance.

Jack of Blades
10-02-2010, 18:05
On the note of multiwound killers, it'd be quite simply dreadful to meet an Oldblood with Piranha Blade and Bane Head. Each wound is doubled and each wound against whatever model you pick is then doubled again, for stuff like very defensive characters all it takes is a single wound and they're gone. DE lord with sick armour save, 2+ ward and regen? get a single wound through and poof, he's gone. Kholek ruining your stuff? charge, two wounds, dead Kholek.

Alltaken
10-02-2010, 21:03
On the note of multiwound killers, it'd be quite simply dreadful to meet an Oldblood with Piranha Blade and Bane Head. Each wound is doubled and each wound against whatever model you pick is then doubled again, for stuff like very defensive characters all it takes is a single wound and they're gone. DE lord with sick armour save, 2+ ward and regen? get a single wound through and poof, he's gone. Kholek ruining your stuff? charge, two wounds, dead Kholek.

add miaming shield (cant recall points though) for 5 attacks and carno pendant for 6 (still not shure of the math and cant recall if bane head and carno pendant are both the same sort of item)

Malorian
10-02-2010, 21:32
Just always keep in mind that if you mount him on a carni that there is a good chance you'll end up on foot.

Make sure to keep a (infantry) unit nearby from him to join.

WarhammerNoob4ever
12-02-2010, 00:42
to be honest, i have always found the follwoing to chew through any infantry

Old Blood
Carny
LA
Enchanted Shield
Blade of Realities

want a quick +6 CR, just challenge......, hit the flank and you negate ranks and get another +1 CR (or the rear for +2)

the infantry is taking their break test on -5 (they get +2 for banner and outnumber) and u get to run them down w 3d6 vs 2d6 pursue/flee

Ive had my Carny take down an entire WOC army single handedly by doing the above and just pursuing into new combats (but bc of his War Alter, he had to accept challenges)

Edit: bc he aint a large target (despite the fact that the Carny model is the same height as the Stegadon.....) you can easy hide him and T5 aint easy to shoot through

Rajhald
12-02-2010, 05:29
Put the carny in a block of cold one cav and you have one nasty unit. The wardrums are fantastic for always being able to march, definitely a surprise for people. I find that for helping things rally they work better on a steg in the center of my army, especially since I tend to run my cold ones/carny on the flank and swing them in.

Looking at taking a old blood and a scar vet in an army, with 2 blocks of cav and I'll run the +d6 charge banner in one unit with the +1 attack sword, and then the drums/BoR on the carny, should be quite devastating.