PDA

View Full Version : Handbows instead of additional hand weapons on Corsairs?

Bladelord
08-02-2010, 20:24
I like Corsairs & I love handbows, the problem is that they cannot take both. So how effective could a small unit of Corsairs with handbows be?

phoenixguard09
08-02-2010, 20:29
My sister uses them and they do ok. I you like the idea I'd say go for it. Just don't expect them to win a tournament on their own. :) But what Core unit ever does. :shifty:

Alltaken
08-02-2010, 20:44
My sister uses them and they do ok. I you like the idea I'd say go for it. Just don't expect them to win a tournament on their own. :) But what Core unit ever does. :shifty:

saurus warriors
warriors of chaos

EldarWonderland
08-02-2010, 20:50
My unit of 25 TK Skeleton Warriors, Banner of the Undying Legion with Full Command. Ran through 3 units of WoC and won me the game. Luckily for me I was playing a guy who just can't roll break tests and rally rolls :)

Witchblade
08-02-2010, 21:11
My unit of 25 TK Skeleton Warriors, Banner of the Undying Legion with Full Command. Ran through 3 units of WoC and won me the game. Luckily for me I was playing a guy who just can't roll break tests and rally rolls :)
3 units of warhounds and horsemen I take it? :p

Bladelord
08-02-2010, 21:18
What about tactical uses for the handbow wielding unit. Should I run them 5x2, 6x6 or one straight line protecting the flank joined by an assassin?

Havock
08-02-2010, 22:53
saurus warriors
warriors of chaos

1- hardly.
2- no.

with handbows they can threaten light cav that want to 'probe your flanks'. They can also pretend to be empire detachments and flank stuff that attacks your blocks.

w3rm
09-02-2010, 03:44
Corsairs are not as bad as everyone says.20 w/ FC and Frenzy banner can put out 16 str 3 ws 4 hatred attacks. Theyre no spearmen but they can deal with lightly armoured stuff pretty well.

sulla
09-02-2010, 04:31
Corsairs are not as bad as everyone says.20 w/ FC and Frenzy banner can put out 16 str 3 ws 4 hatred attacks. Theyre no spearmen but they can deal with lightly armoured stuff pretty well.

Not if it has ASF or gets the charge on them. :) But then you do have the option of adding an assassin if you want.

The SkaerKrow
09-02-2010, 17:31
The best use that I've found for Handbow Corsairs is as a screen for your main combat units (in my case a deep unit of Warriors and a smaller unit of Black Guard). Running them in units of ten (and ten wide if possible), you'll find that they put out a surprising amount of damage against light targets (up to and including those pesky High Elves). They're also cheap enough that you can safely throw them away to redirect an charge or bait someone into range. Finally, they can provide a nasty bit of support to one of your combat units, as even if they don't get a flank they still have the ability to hamper your opponent's ability to flee.

So, while they won't accomplish much on their own, with some practice you'll find them to be a useful addition to the Dark Elf bag of tricks. Also, having really cool models doesn't hurt.