PDA

View Full Version : (Lz 2,250) Lizardmen Build List, V2

The SkaerKrow
09-02-2010, 01:33
A couple of months ago I came into some Lizardmen, and have been mulling over army builds for my new (and unexpected) new army. However, after playing a few games against other Lizard players I came to realize that my own list had an unwelcome quality of versimilitude with that of damn near every other Lizardmen player that I've met :p. I've gone back to the drawing board and moved some things around in hopes of creating something a little bit different, but hopefully still competitive. Comments and suggestions are welcome.

1 Slann Mage-Priest 425pts
Focus of Mystery, Focused Rumination, Becalming Cogitation, Dispel Scroll
(General, Battle Standard Bearer)

1 Skink Priest 150pts
Cloak of Feathers, Dispel Scroll
(Level Two)

18 Saurus Warriors 246pts
Spears, Full Command

18 Saurus Warriors 246pts
Spears, Full Command

10 Skink Skirmishers 80pts
Javelins, Shields

10 Skink Skirmishers 80pts
Javelins, Shields

7 Chameleon Skinks 84pts

14 Temple Guard 259pts
Full Command

3 Kroxigors 165pts

1 Stegadon 235pts

1 Ancient Stegadon 275pts

Casting Pool: 8

Dispel Pool: 5

Models in Army: 84

The general idea is to use the two units of Skink Skirmishers as missile fodder, with the Saurus as aggressive anvils (deployed in a staggered fashion in most cases, to support one another). The Stegadons are obvious hammers, hopefully obvious enough to draw some attention from the Kroxigor. The Kroxigor unit is a complete X-factor, too fast and hard hitting to ignore, but cheap enough that I feel comfortable throwing them away if need be. My primary motivation for taking Chameleon Skinks is to use them as march-blockers, though I'm hoping that they'll be able to prove a nasty surprise for Giants, Beastmen gribblies and other high Toughness, mid-to-no armor save targets.

I have Cold One Riders in my collection, but I'm not particularly interested in running them right now. My main army is Dark Elves, and I've been putting up with those bone-headed dinosaurs for years. I also have another regular Stegadon (the olde kit) floating around, and have the components to make a Carnosaur conversion if the mood strikes me. There's also another box of Skinks in the mix who haven't been built yet, and the Skink Chieftain from the Stegadon kit.

And no, I'm not putting a character in the Ancient Stegadon, because that's done to death already :p.

blackjack
09-02-2010, 03:56
Great non standard list. There are lots of improvements that could be recommended but they would all make your list more cookie cutter. What you got here is both competitive and not what everyone takes.

The SkaerKrow
09-02-2010, 18:44
Thanks!

Oh, feel free to suggest them, just know that I'm inclined to resist the path mostly traveled, heh.

Don Zeko
09-02-2010, 19:07
Why does the skink priest have the cloak of feathers? It's not like he needs to be close to the enemy to cast, and he certainly can't survive wandering near enemy shooting when out of a unit.

N810
09-02-2010, 19:16
Why does the skink priest have the cloak of feathers? It's not like he needs to be close to the enemy to cast, and he certainly can't survive wandering near enemy shooting when out of a unit.

It's so the Slann can use the priest Line of Sight for Magic Missle spells. ;)

It seems like a fairly decent list, extra credit for avoiding the typical Slann list. :D

The SkaerKrow
09-02-2010, 21:13
Why does the skink priest have the cloak of feathers?Because it's cool.

It's so the Slann can use the priest Line of Sight for Magic Missle spells. ;)Also this. With Lore of Heavens having two LOS magic missile spells, I also think it could come in handy for positioning, since he won't need to get close in order to bolt people. Assuming he gets either Sporked Lightning or Urnotzeus' Thunderbolt. :p

Stegadeth
09-02-2010, 21:49
Cloak of Feathers is a great choice for a loan Skink Priest. Something getting too near to him for you to be comfortable? Fly him behind your opponents army and sit out of line of sight blasting away with magic*.

*if you are lucky enough to get two offensive spells out of Lore of Heavens. Otherwise he can cast Portent of Far and Second Sign of Amul on your guys.

Rajhald
10-02-2010, 04:27
Perhaps take plaq of tepok on the skink just to help getting the bolt spells, would have to drop the scroll but the slann could pick it up no problem. If you didn't want to take the cloak then the staff would be a fun choice especially in a skink unit as he would make it a bit more to be reckoned with.

I do like the skirmishers with the javelins/shields, shortens the range but makes them a bit more survivable, and then no negatives for shooting.

Also drop the champs in the saurus blocks, they are a bit of a point sink for not much and use the points where needed, maybe for more cham skinks, just to flesh it out.