PDA

View Full Version : Wood Elf army trying to beat Lizard Men

khaosBlizzard
09-02-2010, 02:06
Im pretty new to warhammer (fantasy that is) and I play Wood Elves. Ive only played one game so far; 800pt battle vs Dark Elves. I won! woot! but I'm going to be playing against my friend's Lizard Men in a few days and he is notoriously good with them. I'm planing on like a 2500 Point battle but i have no idea which units will be good against Lizard Men. Can anyone give me some units that might be useful? or maybe some strategy to beating Lizard Men?

The units I have are:

-Lords/ heros (wardancer, Great Weapon, sorcerer, 2 riders, scout/waywatcher, alter-kindred, and 1 with a standard)
-30 Glade guard
-15 Scouts
-8 Glade Riders
-16 Dryads
-10 Wild Riders (and a wild rider noble on stag)
-4 Warhawk Riders
-5 Tree Kin
-6 Wardancers
-1 Great Eagle

Stegadeth
09-02-2010, 02:46
It really will depend on your friend's list. Being Mobile and shooty will help you a great deal in most cases, however. Lizardmen have atrocious initiative so try and exploit that. If he brings a Carnosaur use your flying models to bait him around the table as best you can once he is frenzied. Skink Skirmishers are pure hell on high toughness, low armor units. They have a short range though. If he brings a Slann + Skink Priest on Engine of the Gods the flaming attacks and Burning Alignment can really ruin a tree's day. Shutting down magic could be a huge boon.

khaosBlizzard
09-02-2010, 03:27
Thanks for the tips. I'll be sure to use them to, hopefully, win. :D

blackjack
09-02-2010, 03:47
Yes the most powerful and to a wood elf threatening army Lizzies can bring is high magic. So pile on the defense.

Witchblade
09-02-2010, 08:55
Noble, Alter Kindred, Hail of Doom Arrow, Great Weapon, Shield, Light Armour, Helm of the Hunt. Option: change the HoDA to annoyance of netlings, if no other character has it.

Shoot the HoDA at one of his auxiliary units (salamanders, terradons, chameleon skinks) to take it out early in the game and then ram into a stegadon with an engine of the gods to challenge and hopefully kill the priest. It's suicide, but it's most definitely worth it.

Other characters are rarely worth it, unless they have magic (including the treeman ancient).

Keep your treekin away from his metal/fire magic.

Get plenty of magic defence.

PeG
09-02-2010, 09:38
I would go mobile and shooty with 2-3 units of trees for close combat support. For characters I would suggest

alter noble

and if your opponent goes heavy magic at least two scroll caddies ie lvl1 with 2 scrolls each

cluster of radiants on a tree possibly a branchwraith

for a total of 6 Dispel dice and 4 scrolls, if you have points to spare for some other magic items to boost your magic defence it will most likely be points well spent.

This is a lot of points for mages that are most likely not going to cast anything during the entire game but otherwise the Slann and priests will fry your elves.

khaosBlizzard
09-02-2010, 15:05
-Witchblade; thanks for the Alter Kindred idea and yes I plan on using HoDA.
-PeG; thanks for the anti-magic tips :D

WarhammerNoob4ever
09-02-2010, 16:08
as a LM player that plays against a Wood Elf player fairly regularly, i would have ot say the best way to stop them is to get a lvl 4 w Wand of reroll DD and pick lore of beasts

If he goes magic heavy, then with some DS and a lvl 1 plus radiants giving you 6 reroll able DD u should be ok to stop him

If he goes w a carny lord, then take Lore of Beasts and beast cowers will be ur biggest tool

I find wood elves to be one of the harder match ups against LM bc of the pure maneuverability they have over us, especially when you take blocks of SW or TG

khaosBlizzard
10-02-2010, 03:06
WarhammerNoob4ever; thanks for the input. Idea from an actual LM player are what i was hoping to get and i will definitely use your tips. :D

Witchblade
10-02-2010, 05:42
I'm never sure what's better on a L4: the wand and something else (e.g. a scroll) or 3 scrolls and something else (e.g. the heartstone). The latter build can attempt to spam beast cowers without much risk of miscasts or need for support, but the former becomes better with more supporting magic (more DD).

scarvet
10-02-2010, 07:08
Wardancers and plenty of Tree singing

khaosBlizzard
10-02-2010, 16:05
I love Wardancers! Im gonna try to post a battle report after i (hopefully?) win.

Alltaken
10-02-2010, 16:25
treekin will screw saurus blocks, that being said as a Izard player.
Fast cav can really be nasty against a steg or eotg. Kill the priest and the crew and u got nice CR + flank charge or rear charge.

WarmbloodedLizard
11-02-2010, 01:16
what i would field:

Characters:
Treeman Ancient, Netlings, +1 DD spite = 375pts
Noble, Alter, GW, LA, S, Helm, HoDA = 158pts
Spellsinger, Lv2, Calaingors Staff, Scroll = 175pts
Spellsinger, 2xScroll = 140pts

Core:
8 Dryads = 96pts
8 Dryads = 96pts
8 Dryads = 96pts
10 Glade Guard = 120pts
5 Glade Rider = 120pts
5 Glade Rider = 120pts

Special:
6 Wild Riders, Mus, Std, Warbanner = 199pts
4 Treekin = 260pts
4 Treekin = 260pts

Rare:
Treeman = 285pts

...makes exactly 2500pts

-use the woods!
-deploy Glade Guard first (on the flank you DON'T want him to deploy)
-you have 5DD and 3 scrolls at least 2 scrolls are reserved for Spirit of the Forge. use the dice to stop buring iron and transmutation of lead.
-you have 3x bound treesinging (cast them first) and 5 more dice to cast treesinging(both casters take it), so about 5,5x treesinging. 1-2 per turn will come through.
-use the woods!
-annoy (bait&flee, shoot at him) him with the glade riders and use them to break ranks if needed
-ignore the temple guard unless you can get AT LEAST 1 unit of 4 treekin in its flank/rear (and preferably another unit of Treekin or a Treeman into the combat as well).
-don't let his terradons (nice HoDA targets, btw) fly over your fast cav
-and use the woods!

To kill the priest:
-flankcharge the steg with 6 or more Dryads
-charge with Treekin (even if they are charged (to the front) they will usually kill him, but don't bet on it)
-treemen will usually take two turns to take him out
-the noble can kill the priest if you're lucky.
-don't use anything else against it, it will not work(or at least will be very risky).

--------------------------------

if you don't wanna use 2 treemen, you might wanna try a shooty list (2xWaywatchers, 2xGlade Riders, 2-3xGlade Guard and loren/bodkins/alter/helm-highborn), going shooty is always effective against lizardmen.

khaosBlizzard
11-02-2010, 01:26
-Warmbloodedlizard; thanks for the advice :D

EldarWonderland
11-02-2010, 08:14
Also, if you haven't already, get the Lizardmen army book and find out what they are strong and weak in.

I'm slowly acquiring all army books of my opponents at my club - which is I hasten to say the fastest growing wargaming club in the York, UK area.

Poseidal
11-02-2010, 09:05
I like that list though I do find a BSB really useful for double Treeman and even Treekin. I don't know who I'd drop for it though.

willowdark
11-02-2010, 15:41
well, nothing says you need the Standard Alter in every list. I'd gladly drop him in that list for a BSB with Sword of Might and Stone of the Crystal Mere.