PDA

View Full Version : The 'Hammer' for all psykers?

Xhalax
21-05-2005, 22:21
The Hammer of Witches (I think it's called). The tattoo/mark given by the Ordo Malleus. Is it just for rogue/dangerous/powerful psykers?

Or do they dish out 'hammers' for all psykers that cross their path?

Rabid Bunny 666
22-05-2005, 02:15
i've never heard of the "hammer", could you explain a bit more please

Xhalax
22-05-2005, 02:19
'tis something I came across in Eisenhorn. In Mallues, the 20 or so (I can't remember exactly) captured alpha level psykers have been branded with some sort of symbol knows as 'The Hammer of Witches' (or words to that effect) which means they can be identified as psykers.

So....knowing very little about the Ordo Mallues, I wondered if they slapped such brands/tattoos/symbols/whatever it is..on all psykers that cross their path or just the nasty ones they catch?

My explaination skills need a lot of work.

Eldacar
22-05-2005, 02:19
From what you're saying, I THINK that they would only give it to dangerous ones. Otherwise, Space Marine Librarians, a lot of Inquisitors, Witch Hunters, Grey Knights, Sanctioned Psykers, and so on would have to have it.

But more information would be nice.

Xhalax
22-05-2005, 02:22
I was thinking the same....I just thought I'd ask wise minds than my own.
You never know with the Inquisition. All that suspicion and such....there's probably someone out there that would happily brand all psykers with some sort of mark so they can be identified as such.

Lamentably, my copy of Eisenhorn is in America which isn't a lot of help under the circumstances for me to try and explain properly.

Rabid Bunny 666
22-05-2005, 02:27
hehe, that would explain alot

wouldn't think so, i would think that it would be on the untrained or weak ones

Avenging Dentist
22-05-2005, 02:42
I doubt that the Hammer of Witches is branded on all psykers, since it hasn't come up anywhere else (that I know of). I imagine it would only be used to identify psykers who aren't a part of the Scholastia Psykana, sort of a "Danger! Possibly Possessed!" sign. Psykers outside of the Scholastia are generally regarded as unable to resist being tainted by the forces of Chaos, so this is probably what the symbol means.

I'm actually kind of surprised they called the symbol the "Hammer of Witches", since the references to the real-world Inquisition are already apparent enough. ("Hammer of Witches" is just a translation of "Malleus Maleficarum", which was the semi-official guidebook of the real Inquisition).

Rabid Bunny 666
22-05-2005, 02:46
oh, in the eisonhorn books, my mate mentiolned something about bladeships or something, what are they?

Sojourner
22-05-2005, 14:42
Bladeships? Don't recognise the word and I've read them all recently.

Or did you mean Blackships? In that case, Inquisition starships, basically. Most of them are used for psyker harvesting.

Bmaxwell
22-05-2005, 15:37
proply juts something made up for the eisenhorn novels don't forget that there are some big flaws in the series

every one and there mother has a landspeeder.

very good trigoly desipte no quite haveing the desprate feel 40k needs

Delicious Soy
23-05-2005, 01:23
I'd say because its from Eisenhorns perspective and he is high society (as an Inquisitor). It just that most things about 40k are told from a low social standing to emphasise the cruelty of it. Eisenhorn was still violent and full of daemonic insanity like most things in 40k, its just Eisenhorn was never one of the peasants. :)

To answer Xhalax's question I'd say that they brand is the mark of any psyker caught by the inquisition. They'd be branded as their marched onto the Blackships. Though it must be noted that it didn't really help that marine very much in Malleus.

Xhalax
23-05-2005, 01:26
That sounds fair and reasonable Soy.
And no it didn't. But when you're dealing with Alpha-level psykers, you can never be too careful who you help!