PDA

View Full Version : What army has the most varied force?

Tenken
10-02-2010, 07:05
Practically speaking; what army do you think has the most varied force options to choose from? I'm inclined to say IG because they have so many different options, and very few are so awful that you'd never field them (something that happens alot it seems), and when combined with =I= allies they get even more varied.

Although Nids might be able to give them a run for their money, but nids kind of suffer from the gawful unfieldable units *coughpyrovoreharpycoughcoughcough*. But they still have alot of variation within their force that's useable. Though I think the utter lank of any kind of tank kind of hurts them. Sure MC's are nice, but they're no tank.

Tomalock
10-02-2010, 07:09
I think you could make a strong case for Chaos Daemons. Every slot has atleast 1 unit for each god (except for Heavy Support, but you can tweak your princes to suit) and they all are fairly different. Chaos and Loyalist Marines also have a bunch of variety.

Honestly though, the better question is probably which has the least variety, because most codexs have quite a bit (I vote necrons for the record).

talon216
10-02-2010, 07:16
i will second necrons for least, and put eldar up there for varied, lots of different units excelling at different things, can play multiple styles with success, have good support and/or combat hq's.

Hive Fleet Bahamut
10-02-2010, 07:21
I would say 'Nids are the most varied. There are a wide variety of types of creatures (granted no tanks), but they have 2 swarms, loads of infantry, beasts, MCs, and a bunch of jump infantry. They have a variety of armour saves and toughnesses. They have shooting at a variety of ranges in both the anti-infantry and anti-tank types.

I was actually talking earlier tonight with a friend who plays Marines and he was talking about this as a real difficulty when facing new 'Nids (I'd just beaten him with 'Nids). He didn't know whether I'd go swarm, 'zilla, deepstrike or some hybrid and consequently had a hard time picking his list. While I think there are plenty of other varied armies I think 'Nids are most varied by a long shot.

Cromwell Haarlock-Leth
10-02-2010, 10:28
Well, I would IG...
And Orks: QG: Officers: yes. Psykers: yes. And Meks.
Elite: Heavy weapons squads: yes. Heavily armoured infantry: yes. Assault weapons teams: yes. Tank hunters: yes. Infiltrators: yes.
Troops: bloody killlers: yes. Cannon fodder: yes. Transports: yes.
Swift attack: Rocketed assault infantry: yes. Bikers: yes. Assault bikers: yes (kinda: buggies) Hoover: yes (kinda: kopters).
Support: Tanks: yes. Dreadnoughts: yes. Heavy weapon team: yes.
And, last but not least: FUN: YES.
Orks: YES, WE KAN.

broxus
10-02-2010, 10:45
Practically speaking; what army do you think has the most varied force options to choose from? I'm inclined to say IG because they have so many different options, and very few are so awful that you'd never field them (something that happens alot it seems), and when combined with =I= allies they get even more varied.

Although Nids might be able to give them a run for their money, but nids kind of suffer from the gawful unfieldable units *coughpyrovoreharpycoughcoughcough*. But they still have alot of variation within their force that's useable. Though I think the utter lank of any kind of tank kind of hurts them. Sure MC's are nice, but they're no tank.

IG cant be that varied, SM's are the flexiable army.

ashc
10-02-2010, 10:46
Are you asking varied as in most viable options in the codex? (Let's not look at you, Chaos Space Marines...)

Or an army that can be played in a variety of ways?

Nicha11
10-02-2010, 10:47
Orks, Imperial Guard and Eldar.

ashc
10-02-2010, 10:51
I am going to say Space Marines (variety of ways of playing, and some alternate codex books, but they can still be a forgiving army) and Orks (Horde, Fast, Big Things, even shooty can be done with Orks. They aren't as forgiving as marines, but are still muddy solid). Tyranids are a good shout-out too, but I am still waiting on seeing how they pan out in the long run.

Archangel_Ruined
10-02-2010, 11:02
For a start, I'm talking about store/club level gaming in this post, not tournie play. At the higher levels there is very little variety in tournaments, I know, and it's the same for every army. There are optimal combinations in every codex and they crop up in the vast majority of competitive armies, so this question really doesn't apply there.

I think it's less codex variety and more codex viability. If it's just variety then the DE aren't doing that badly, but when you consider viability then there are two lists that wont get you battered by turn 3. The marine lists (all and varied) allow lots of viable builds, but then T4, 3+ saves and combat ability all round gives flexibilty when it isn't your day. The guard are interesting, there are lots of possible builds that seem to be pretty good on paper but I haven't seen too much variation on the board. Old school guard players tend to run what they've had since 2nd ed and new players have been seduced by cheap chimeras or hard hitting valks. It's much the same with orks.

I know a lot of players don't like the common nature of marine armies but at least there are a LOT of different builds floating about.

Lord Malorne
10-02-2010, 11:11
OP: All of them besides nids, orks and necrons.

Cromwell Haarlock-Leth
10-02-2010, 11:16
I know a lot of players don't like the common nature of marine armies but at least there are a LOT of different builds floating about.

True.
I don't like them (because I don't play them, not the reverse). So, they're the Enemy.
And when I know I'll face a SM Army, I don't know what I'll face.
Full drops? Dreads based? Tactical + Assault? Devastator? and so on...
There're also many SM Chapter-variant (SW, BA, DA, BT...)

That's why I hate them.

Mojaco
10-02-2010, 12:27
OP: All of them besides nids, orks and necrons.
Orks and Nids?
Orks can have 200 models or just 30, and both are highly competitive. They can have dozens of vehicles or none, again with little difference in effectiveness. They can go all-out shooty or all-out HtH, both succesfully. Orks are variety incarnate. It's just that most people run the same few choices.

And Nids are varied on a different level. Instead of choosing between ranged and HtH, they can choose between small, mid or large models making up the bulk of their army. Add the choice of ranged and HtH (both plausible) AND the ability to Spore Pod everything... it's varied alright.

For least variety I'd go with all the old armies (Tau, Necrons, Dark Eldar, Inquisition). They all have just a few units that see regular use, the rest collects dust.

LonelyPath
10-02-2010, 14:58
Orks and Nids can have wildly different rosters taken from their respective lists so I would say they are very versatile and my collection can run off 3 or 4 different Nid lists pretty easily.

Orks can be anything from a horde of boyz to speed freaks to nob bikers to nothing but dreads and kans, or even more battlewagons than you can shake a squig at (that's 8 in a 1500 list!). Let's also not forget the Grot army backed up with Kanz and Big Guns, they can be a nightmare for more shooty armies as almost anything can hide a grot and your weight in numbers can bog such opponents down in CC even if both forces are useless at it (heh).

WinglessVT2
10-02-2010, 15:04
Probably space marines, because there are so many effective combos and units.
If we're talking about models, tau or tyranids.

brawnyman1989
10-02-2010, 15:46
Orks, IG, Eldar and SM

jsullivanlaw
10-02-2010, 21:20
Chaos Daemons have the most variety and best internal balance of all codexes in my opinion. Only a couple units in the codex are really so bad as to be possibly unusable but they still have creative uses. Every slot has an option for each god except heavy support but the daemon prince option is incredibly customizable to the point that they can really be entirely different animals depending on the upgrades you give em. It's a fun army that takes some serious skill to be competetive with. Lots of randomness but this can be minimized to the point where it really doesn't matter all that much despite what people tell you here.

primarch16
10-02-2010, 21:26
Throwing another vote for chaos daemons, almost every unit works well so it allows the most variety, also model wise, a daemon can be just about anything.

dogofwar6565
11-02-2010, 01:33
Orks and Eldar.. You can play a variety of different ways each time.

sigur
11-02-2010, 02:41
Imperial Guard, judging from variation in statlines, equipment and battlefield purposes. Throw in Witch Hunters and Deamon Hunters allies and you got a winner.