PDA

View Full Version : Eurovission - How broken is it ????

athamas
21-05-2005, 22:23
well we [the UK] did really badly as usual, though we did beat france, [all important to those in the UK]

the main 4 countries in the event, [Spain, UK, france and Germany] all got the least points, however due to the fact we provide so much money for the event we cant be relegated....

oh well..

24 contesting countries.. 39 voting, is very wrong, as the great Mr Wogen said,

well me and my friends think Norway should have done better, [funnies one there!]

so, what do you all think?

Grimtuff
21-05-2005, 22:43
meh, no offence inteded, but IMO aside from us in the UK Europeans tend to like really crappy cheesy pop songs (or at least the people that vote in this)

its all a fix anyway, Greece always votes for Cyprus, all of the scandinavian countries vote for one another...

neXus6
21-05-2005, 22:50
Whats with all this wierd UK crap...1) Scotland was a great ally of France before the UK existed therefor I have NO dislike of the French and no desire to "have to beat them."
2) No offence taken but your opinion is wrong Grimtuff... jesus it's not like the last X number of UK entries havn't been crap...from the voting on this EVERY country ours included is just as bad.

Bottom line is Eurovision is crap....since when was Isreal in Europe, I must have missed that one.

Archaon
21-05-2005, 22:51
Some friends and me watched the results and it was quite as usual..neighboring countries give most of the votes to each other. It was always like this.

One thing however was very satisfying for us..Germany finished last. In Germany there was a huge scandal because the manager of the singer bought records himself, well through middlemen, to boost record sales.

This resulted in her being on top of the charts and competing in the tryouts for the GP which she won. But after that the scam was uncovered, the manager confessed and yet she refused to withdraw. I call that poetic justice.

Other than that i don't care..the GP has long lost the meaning of best song...now it's the prettiest girl with the shortest dress and biggest cleavage.

Grimtuff
21-05-2005, 23:01
Whats with all this wierd UK crap...1) Scotland was a great ally of France before the UK existed therefor I have NO dislike of the French and no desire to "have to beat them."
2) No offence taken but your opinion is wrong Grimtuff... jesus it's not like the last X number of UK entries havn't been crap...from the voting on this EVERY country ours included is just as bad.

Bottom line is Eurovision is crap....since when was Isreal in Europe, I must have missed that one.

yes, I am of the opinion as well, that it is all craptastic, UK included, but our acts just seem more "professional" if you get my drift, but it doesnt stop them from being rubbish :D

neXus6
21-05-2005, 23:14
lol, well yes they tend to be less visual if I remember correctly, and thus not quite so tacky.

ooooooh new smilie :angel: ...shame it has no place in this thread.
*watches the :angel: get stabbed to death by :confused: and :wtf:*

Kohhna
21-05-2005, 23:21
Some friends and me watched the results and it was quite as usual..neighboring countries give most of the votes to each other. It was always like this.

One thing however was very satisfying for us..Germany finished last. In Germany there was a huge scandal because the manager of the singer bought records himself, well through middlemen, to boost record sales.

This resulted in her being on top of the charts and competing in the tryouts for the GP which she won. But after that the scam was uncovered, the manager confessed and yet she refused to withdraw. I call that poetic justice.

That make a lot of sense as that song was humongusly bad even by Eurovision standards. She couldn't sing, I mean did anyone else hear it?

"Run and Hi-i-ide!" indeed.

I mainly watch it these days for Terry Wogans extremley sarcastic commentry, which is often hilarious. My sister and her mate watched it with me and they were both stoned, they laughed their asses off the whole way through, and ordered a **** load of Garlic bread.

I did like the Ukraines entry, so they got my vote, but we, that is the Irish, weren't in it this year so it was hardly a real contest was it?

tzeentchgiant
21-05-2005, 23:27
Eurovision agravates me a lot. The UK always says that countries voted for each other for politics and the like, which may be true, but that doesn't make or entries any better.

As for Euro pop, well it doesn't bother me, just like a friend having a different taste in music from me.

As for the French, I'm Scottish, and I honestly don't really care about them, however it is nice to get one over on those guys. They do seem to get what they want in the EU compaired to Britain anyway.

TG

Drabant
21-05-2005, 23:41
Bah, they should cancel the whole contest. Actually, I haven't watched it for years because it's gotten so bad. They should go back and remove all the reality show influence.

* Require nations to sing in their own native language.
* Juries - No public voting.
* Only one show.

Lainer
21-05-2005, 23:47
For those who doesn't know what the Eurovision song contest is, you can read about and listen/watch the songs here: www.eurovision.tv (http://www.eurovision.tv)

And I agree that the neighbouring countries tend to support each other. (Wanders off to find a way to make more countries join Scandinavia....)

Minister
22-05-2005, 01:12
My opinion: have the vote, show the music and then have another vote and see if it's any diferent. Shows up how bleedin' stupid the whole thing is.

grey_painter
22-05-2005, 10:41

I thought someone was electrocuting her at the end of each line, she sounded in pain.

It is all political although which puts the UK at a disadvantage since the English have annoyed practically everyone at some point. And yes I know Scotland is in the UK too but you are just not well enough liked to counterbalance the animosity towards the English :p

We voted for Moldova though, I've just got a soft spot for a granny on drums. Even if she does look like that old woman off driving school.

I agree with Drabant that all songs should be sung in the countries native language though, I always put subtitles on anyway.

tzeentchgiant
22-05-2005, 10:45
@ Lainer

They should consider themselves lucky if they don't know,

If you don't then here's how I would descride it.

Imagine being castrated with sandpaper, without anasthetic. Now transfer that pain to each of your ears and you're half way there.

Also Minister, that is probably the most profound and correct statement I have ever heard about Eurovision.

TG

Rich
22-05-2005, 11:02
the problem with Eurovision being a political thing is that the UK has invaded every country in the world at some point and people don't tend to appreciate that kind of thing, hence why noone ever votes for us! We've also upset everyone recently witht he whole Iraq thing so until Blair goes there will be no decent scores.

Oh, and I too find it hard to understand why Israel and Turkey are in the competition - they are not geographically part of Europe, and it is doubtful that they will be excepted into Europe until they clean up their human rights violations.

Cheesejoff
22-05-2005, 11:03
The whole thing does not matter anyway. Molvania was not in it. If they had this in it, then every country would have awarded 12 points to them.

http://www.molvania.com/eurovision.html

Brimstone
22-05-2005, 11:14
Gentlemen, lets leave the political stuff alone shall we.

Concentrate on the songs, the contest and the general campness that is the Eurovision Song contest.

athamas
22-05-2005, 12:03
well i think norway should have won, for the pure cheese :cheese:

it was so funny,

and do we really want to win in the UK? then we would miss out of Wogens comentry... which is by far the most numerous reason to watch it... [from the ppl i know, its great, he canpredic the voting wit very good accuracy!]

Kohhna
22-05-2005, 14:03
I agree with Drabant that all songs should be sung in the countries native language though, I always put subtitles on anyway.
I totally agree. Cheesey Foreign Lyrics translated into english = Teh funny

Lostanddamned
22-05-2005, 14:12
gemini... that was BAD

neXus6
22-05-2005, 15:51
Some of Wogan's comments were bordering on the down right racist, I didn't watch much of it but in the 5 or so minutes I actually paid attention he made about 4 mocking comments about people from other countries.
I found that rather funny.
:confused:

The boyz
22-05-2005, 15:56
I missed it who won in the end?

grey_painter
22-05-2005, 15:58
I missed it who won in the end?

The Greeks, and fairly convincingly really.

Brandir
22-05-2005, 16:09
Once again Eurovision has prooved that no-one likes us English.

You know what, I don't care! Splendid isolation is great. And seeing all that euro trash has made me even more anti-EU than before. Who wants to live in a USE when their fave pop tunes include that drivel from Moldova?

But considering they hate us so much, why do they all sing in English?

Note: I acknowledge my slight exaggeration, not all the entries sang in English!

PSD
22-05-2005, 16:30
Norway should have won, they were the only act who didnt make me want to indiscriminately bomb the offending country into the ground.

And im bloody glad the UK didnt win, or get many points, seeing as our entry was awful. After a while i was actually gunning for us not to get any points at all, just for the amusement factor. Plus itl teach us to put a decent cock-rock band on like Norway.

Did i mention that i thought Norway were great? :D

The boyz
22-05-2005, 17:05
Who was our entry for the Eurovision song contest for England?

neXus6
22-05-2005, 17:10
@ Brandir and The Boyz it was a UK entry not an English entry...but if you want to take responsibility for this crap go ahead. I'm sure we in Scotland and Wales will have no problem with that. :p ;)

Brandir
22-05-2005, 17:13
Some bird called Javine.

Crap song.

She is English, hence taking responsibility. The people of Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland can probably use her Englishness (she is from London) as a way of trying to deny any association with the crap that represented the UK.

neXus6
22-05-2005, 17:21
LoL, that'll do me...and then English people from outside London can blame the crapness on that. Londoners have no excuse. ;)

I really don't see why anyone would actually care. It would seem that most people here simply watch to hear Wogan taking the ****. Or at least I hope thats the case, I hope noone watches with the sole interest of actually caring. :p

The boyz
22-05-2005, 17:26
I really don't see why anyone would actually care. It would seem that most people here simply watch to hear Wogan taking the ****.

lol, Yeah I agree :D :D

Shuya
22-05-2005, 17:28
the grandmother beat the drummer

i LOVED That. but i wanted i think switzerland (or some s contry to win (4 chick rock band)

Brandir
22-05-2005, 17:40
Yes, Mr Wogan's commentary is the only reason me and The Wife watch it. Mr Wogan was particularly scathing about the Moldovan granny last night.

The boyz
22-05-2005, 17:50
I wished i watched it now to see that Granmother beat the drum.lol. :D

athamas
22-05-2005, 19:57
oh yeah the swis one was not all that bad, it should have done better, but due the Baltic/Balkan states all voting for each oter, they did not do all that well

Brandir
22-05-2005, 20:06
The Swiss entry got a few Baltic votes because the artists were from Estonia.

Lavfluris
22-05-2005, 21:31
Did i mention that i thought Norway were great? :DHell yeah, Norway's Wig Wam were a great band. I had a feeling they were not going to win but they were great fun none the less.

Switzerland's Vanilla Ninjas were also a great band, but for different reasons. ;)

Neknoh
22-05-2005, 21:51
Well...

Danmark should have won it!

It would have brought down the ENTIRE Russlana-wannabe and Europop tradition to the bottom of the cold sea of shame!

At least half of the contestants (counting the Semi as well) was songs that in some way looked and sounded like Russlanas Wild Dancing.

Danmark should have won...

Though I'll be lying if I did not say that Norway was really nice... and that I at least hoped that we swedes would not have to qualify in the semis next year... oh well...

you can't have anything.

Kargos Bloodspit
24-05-2005, 09:03
I thought the Maltease woman deserved to do better. Her song kinda reminded me of the songs in Disney films when Disney didnt suck.

peteratwar
25-05-2005, 09:27
Just look on it as a song & dance comedy show of absolutely no importance whatsoever. Nothing to get excited about & you can forget all about it by the time you go to bed!

wanderingblade
25-05-2005, 09:43
LoL, that'll do me...and then English people from outside London can blame the crapness on that. Londoners have no excuse. ;)

I really don't see why anyone would actually care. It would seem that most people here simply watch to hear Wogan taking the ****. Or at least I hope thats the case, I hope noone watches with the sole interest of actually caring. :p

Hey now, who voted for her? London might be a big place, but theres not enough to vote her in all by themselves. We're all guilty as. No wriggling away from it now.

Anyway, I only saw the voting. Missed Wogan's usual greatness. But then I missed the songs as well, which is a far greater benefit.