PDA

View Full Version : What is the best way to equip clanrats & skaven slaves?

Mr. Gobbo
11-02-2010, 02:45
I just want to know from the more experienced gamers what is the best way to equip clanrats and skaven slaves?

outbreak
11-02-2010, 03:08
slaves either 20-21 strong with a muso if you plan to bait and flee and nothing else
clanrats 25-30 strong with standard+muso (champion if you have a character in the unit you want fighting like a warlord) and shields. Spears aren't too bad but i prefer shields for the survivability but either way works.

Dantès
11-02-2010, 03:52
I take my slaves at 21 with just a muso for baiting, and my clanrats at 30 with a champ. I like the champ in there because he's cheap and always gives me 2 attacks. If youre going to put a character in the unit, dont put a champ as well. Skaven do have the Verminous Valor rule BUT when you refuse a challenge your enemy can choose who refuses.

JimmyFrank
11-02-2010, 06:55
I run my slaves 20 with a muso and my clanrats 30 with a muso. Don't take a champ for the reasons explained above and I don't take a banner because its 100 points to the enemy when they inevitably run down your fleeing clan rats :) 30 clanrats is approx 160pts, so that plus a banner means your foe has just scored a cheeky 260 points for a 160 point unit

Rikkjourd
11-02-2010, 11:52
I agree with most of the earlier posts.

Slaves should be 20-21, no equipment except a musician if you want to. You could run a regiment or two with slings as it is very cheap for a whole unit. They may be able to cause a wound on a large target or a unit on a hill. It could also cause a large target to try to avoid being double shot by the slaves, giving you some area control. It is unlikely to cause more than a single wound though.

Clanrats should be 25-30 and I prefer no spears. They won't kill anything decent anyway, so you should save the points and add a few more models instead. The only good way to get value from spears is if you can reliably cast death frenzy and your opponent don't have too much T/AS and are not elite infantry striking before the clanrats.... or something like that. I buy full command for my units, but that may vary depending on what exactly you want to use the clanrats for.

Feefait
11-02-2010, 12:49
Slaves get nothing. No shields, no musician, nothing that can validate their worthless lives. They are there for ranks and flanks, thats it. Clanrats all depend on who you are facing. Unfortunately Warhammer is abounding with high toughness and crazy armor saves right now. WS 3 Str 3 will do nothing to most armies. Which means that you have blocks of 20 to 30 rats doing nothing but generating static cr. In that case go with your best armor to reduce what the enemy is trying to generate. I would add spears against say elves but not really anyone else. Against Chaos or Lizardmen its just a waste. You won't wound and they have too high AS. Skaven are all about numbers and you have to protect that as much as possible.

scarvet
11-02-2010, 13:41
If you wan to equip your Slave, sling is pretty good buy.
Clanrats, shield, full command, maybe attach weapon team.

Sasquatch
11-02-2010, 14:19
Slaves are 21 with a musician.

Clanrats I usually equip with shields, musician and standard. 25 to 30 depending on points and wether or not I'm facing a lot of shooting.

Sygerrik
11-02-2010, 14:20
Careful about giving Clanrats FC. I do it if I think they're going to make it into combat alongside one of my skirmishing killamajigs (PCBs, Doom Flayer) for the SCR, but not if they're just there to die, since that's handing the opponent 100 points. Slaves are always 21 to cause force enemies to kill 6 to panic them.

Dantès
13-02-2010, 07:46
I only run 2 units of 30 clanrats, a unit of 30 plague monks, and a unit of 30 stormvermin as the core of my army (ive only been at 1500 points), and surprisingly the clanrats have been doing much better than both the plague monks and stormvermin. For example...earlier today they charged a unit of 20 Saurus with spears, killed 3, received one wound, broke and chased them down. What it really comes down to is what you want them to do. Do you want:
-Static CR, i.e ranks, for a unit of rat ogres to flank charge and do the killing
-A unit that you want to be able to hold for a round of combat or two

If you like the first idea, get slaves. They'll do you much better. Half the points means youll have more points to invest in your flanking units. If you like the second idea, definitely go with clanrats. They will survive more than you think (before the saurus fiasco...one unit of 30 destroyed a unit of 10 Daemonettes, and next turn destroyed a unit of 10 Bloodletters - the WILL surprise you). Maybe I have just been getting lucky with clanrats recently, but I have found with the way I play them (beat the foe through CR) kitting them out with a full command is necessary.