PDA

View Full Version : Gimli on Uruk Hai

boogle
22-05-2005, 00:13
in this months UK WD, the model for the LOTR roadshow will be the Gimli on Uruk-hai which is going to retail for 7

Baggers
22-05-2005, 15:22
Yep and its coming to Nottingham the week after I go on holiday, hopefully I should be back in time to get one :)

Brandir
22-05-2005, 21:47
One can also buy it from UK Mail Order from 15 Jul.

Rykion
23-05-2005, 19:30
The big question is will there be any rules for Gimli on this strange mount? :p ;)

Hideous Loon
11-06-2005, 14:26
Wouldn't think so. The model looks like...you know, from one of the last scenes in TTT, in Helm's Deep, where Gimli says to Legolas: "He was twitching? He's got my axe embedded into his nervous system!" or something like it. Sheesh. No real Uruk would ever allow a mere Dwarf to sit on him, let alone steer where to go.

Brandir
11-06-2005, 14:40
The actual score (ie from The Book) was 42 to Gimli and 41 to Legolas.

'Forty-two, Master Legolas!' he cried. 'Alas! My axe is notched: the forty-second had an iron collar on his neck. How is it with you?'
'You have passed my score by one,' answered Legolas. 'But I do not grudge you the game, so glad am I to see you on your legs!'
Quote taken from LOTR Book 3 Chapter 8 The Road to Isengard

UnRiggable
07-07-2005, 23:23
Just for kicks, if i get one im going to make a rule where if he slays an uruk and doesnt move the nextturn, hes replaced with that model. he cant move for 4 turns because hes smoking a pipe

Garoth
08-07-2005, 07:47
Perhaps after all that resting and taking it easy he has regained all previously used Might points?

Baggers
08-07-2005, 13:00
How about you may replace the model with the sitting Gimli after he has killed 41 Orcs, of course this rulen means that Legolas has to kill 40 orcs as well.

Brother Frog
08-07-2005, 19:28
Perhaps after all that resting and taking it easy he has regained all previously used Might points?

Don't you think that Gribbly - sorry - Gimli is hard enough already?!?

Ares
09-07-2005, 07:30
I got it ages ago for a special weekend event down here in Oz. They advertised it as a limited edition model.

Shadowheart
09-07-2005, 10:51
GW doesn't understand the concept of limited editions, they just take it as an advertising slogan. They never specify exactly how many they've made, and they reserve the right to re-release it at any time.

I got my Gimli on Uruk-hai from a guy in Holland who lived near one of the "Northern Europe" GW stores that had a limited supply of them. I had to learn about that offer through a forum, from people who had been told about it by store staff. It wasn't even connected to a special event, the GW stores here just got a couple Gimlis to sell.

Baggers
09-07-2005, 18:25
Shadowheart, I think in terms of production that GW only make just over a 100,000 of them. But in this sense I think they are using the term limited edition because you can only get it from certain stores at certain times.

Shadowheart
10-07-2005, 06:32
It doesn't matter how many they make (though calling 100K limited is a stretch in itself) when they can and will make more if they feel like it. If the limit is so vague, selling it as a 'limited edition' is IMO false advertising. They've sold "limited edition" Praetorians that later became just another mail-order Guard regiment, they've sold "limited edition" Space Marine commanders in starter sets that were re-released as an ordinary blister pack later, they've sold a "limited edition" Helm's Deep that was simply put back into production after it sold out.

I'd rather not have limited editions at all, saves you from having to worry about snatching one up, and gives people basically equal chances of owning the miniatures. But if they're going to advertise something as a limited edition they ought to make it stick.

Marty D
13-07-2005, 14:20
does anyone have a picture of this model? i cant even begin to imagine what he looks like

Brandir
13-07-2005, 14:31
Try this link:

http://thewarofthering.uk.games-workshop.com/download/popup.htm?/events/umbar/images/gimli-big.jpg

rkunisch
13-07-2005, 17:37
GW doesn't understand the concept of limited editions, they just take it as an advertising slogan. They never specify exactly how many they've made, and they reserve the right to re-release it at any time.
That is exactly true. If you look at the Marco Columbo model they made for GW spain: They even have printed the numbers on the boxes to show how limited they are. And now? Buy it at your local store... :wtf:

Have fun,

Rolf.

UnRiggable
24-07-2005, 02:28
hmm...they might give em out and then sell them...but its unreasonable to lie like that

Forgotmytea
24-07-2005, 19:31
Are they still for sale? I might get one if they are....

Forgive my ignorance, but with the prices I don't tend to spend too much time in GW/on the website/etc etc. - more painting my existing models :).

-Forgotmytea

Baggers
24-07-2005, 21:07
The Gimili on Uruk Hai is going through various Stores and is currently only avaliable from that store at that date or from Mail Order during the time of the tour.