PDA

View Full Version : Eldar Pirates?

darkeldarplayer
07-02-2006, 17:53
I have heard quite a few rumours about what games workshop plan to do with dark eldar but only three stand out to me and seem like actual possibilities.

1. Disbanding dark eldar and forming a new branching of eldar known as eldar pirates which would be contained in the next eldar codex.

2.Re-doing all dark eldar.

3.completely annialating dark eldar and abandoning in with their current states.

I have to say number 2 would be the best option in the eyes of dark eldar players but number 1 is an insult. Also number 3 would be a let down but it would also mean players of dark eldar would become even more rare and the race would become something very few players know about and that much harder to counter.

Please post your opinions on these 3 rumours I have heard and feal free to post any rumours you may have heard.

Rabid Bunny 666
07-02-2006, 17:57
depends what your sources are, there has been rumors like this as common as the Fabled rending pony

Aenarion
07-02-2006, 17:59
I'd be more inclined to believe number 2

Mojaco
07-02-2006, 18:03
Number one is a new incarnation of "all eldar in one codex" rumour. I don't believe in it. Sure all Eldar share some specifics, but they are so diverse that it would really be 3 seperate army lists in one book. Like a Codex: Imperium. Impossible.

I don't see number 3 happening either, given that they are to appear in next months Battle Report and have been in the campaign report a few months ago (with BT, Chaos and some DE). They're still quite a vocal army.

ML Kurze
07-02-2006, 18:05
I believe it was Engel who confirmed that the upcoming Eldar codex would contain only the Eldar and none of their relatives.

Cheitan Shadowless
07-02-2006, 18:08
I believe it was Engel who confirmed that the upcoming Eldar codex would contain only the Eldar and none of their relatives.Seconded, option 1 has been debunked, and option 3 has been flat out denied by the studio at a recent GD, unless I've been having those weird dreams again.

They're due for the ultimate revamp, just not for a while.

damz451
07-02-2006, 18:26
well eldar pirates were the original eldar in 40k..., then they became craftworld eldar and became sorta good guys, gw then created Dark eldar to recreate the pirate eldar from rogue trader, so they are basically the same thing..., cept dark eldar are ... dark

stahly
07-02-2006, 18:31
The dark eldar thing was totally crap.
In fact they are eldar pirates and not space dark elves. It'd be cool if - when all the major races are revamped - they would release a codex for eldar minorities with one list for Dark Eldar/Pirates, one for Harlies and one for Exodites with a miniature support like witch hunters got.

But as I know GW today, they will do option 2.

Fable
07-02-2006, 18:45
I would assume #2 as we've even seen new art in regards to them in the rulebook which indicates they are not outright dropping them but rethinking and reworking them. I would expect to see them out at some point in between whichever comes second Orks or Eldar (as until I get some solid confirmation I'll not yet concede that Eldar are following COD and coming out in 06) and Codex Xenos, allowing Codex Xenos to arrive with a slew of fresh enemies to combat in their most up to date form.

What they really need to do is solidify the fluff for Dark Eldar and I'm hoping the next codex helps do that some, if even in an offhanded indirect way. As if you read the BL book Farseer it is implied that there are NO Eldar pirates, and that's just the way that the imperium describes the Dark Eldar. However, it is also Pirate Princes that one mostly deals with in Battle Fleet Gothic and in the forgeworld books they clearly make a distinction between Pirate fleets which work with both Craftworld and Dark Eldar.

TheShadow3s
07-02-2006, 19:37
Eldar pirates ? would be cool but they are like ragers not ? being redone would seem the only thing logical to me

sanctusmortis
07-02-2006, 19:42
The pirates are covered by Gothic and are nothing like Dark Eldar, who are the Eldar who never learned from their incident. I can see the revamp, as they even got an Index article.

And Brim said the Eldar codex may now have changed a little, in the direction of some weirdly dressed people...

LiveFromHell
07-02-2006, 19:51
Page 4 of the Craftworld Eldar codex...
..."They(craftworld Iyanden) were on the verge of utter annihilation but despite these horrendous losses, the Craftworld was saved from extermination by the Pirate Prince Yriel and his Eldritch Raiders."...

Eldar Pirates are not Dark Eldar.

Icarus
07-02-2006, 19:55
There's some info on Eldar Pirates in Inquisitor, it suggests that pirates if just another form of the "Path of the Outcast", albeit a decadent one.

Dunr II
07-02-2006, 19:56
Theres a dark eldar assasin in Gaunts Ghosts Sabbat Matyr and describes him as well dark and sneaky and dark, so definate difference between dark eldar and eldar,

BaronDG
07-02-2006, 20:11
I remember the arrival of eldar mercenaries (from RT) causing a shudder of fear on both sides of the battle field because you never knew quite who the worked for, even if you had hired them...

Ozendorph
07-02-2006, 21:35
It wouldn't be unlike GW to contradict their past fluff and merge the pirate and dark eldar concepts. Not a big leap, really. Just stop thinking of "Eldar Pirates" as puffy-shirt wearing, dashing buccaneers. Maybe they're the sort of pirates that punch old women in the face and steal their shawls.

Wraithbored
07-02-2006, 22:09
Eldar pirates are Eldar pirates and Dark Eldar are Dark eldar, two tottaly different factions and I think nr.2 is the best option what the DE really need is some new sprues a new unit or 3 and a good OD of fluff!

Ozendorph
07-02-2006, 22:36
But wait...if pirates are pirates, and dark eldar are dark eldar, what happens if a dark eldar decides to engage in some pirating?

Answer: fluff implosion <cannot divide by 0>

my_name_is_tudor
07-02-2006, 22:38
I think that dark eldar will undergo a pretty big theme change, judging by the recent index xenos article on them, I'm guessing they will keep the new name of "Eldar Kabals" or whatever it was, rather than "Dark Eldar" which is too dark elves in space.

Inquisitor Engel
07-02-2006, 22:49
I believe it was Engel who confirmed that the upcoming Eldar codex would contain only the Eldar and none of their relatives.

That's changed. There's a very exciting racial addition to the Eldar Codex, but it still won't contain any Dark Eldar.

There are much deeper, and much darker plans for the Dark Eldar...:evilgrin:

my_name_is_tudor
07-02-2006, 22:57
That's changed. There's a very exciting racial addition to the Eldar Codex, but it still won't contain any Dark Eldar.

You sly tease! Harlequins! Its gotta be Harlequins!!

violenceha
07-02-2006, 22:58

racial? as in the same race or an alien race that has joined the eldar?

Ozendorph
07-02-2006, 23:47
The secret is, the've merged the Harlequins and the Exodites. They now dance and ride dinosaurs. This move was inevitable, when you think about it.

sigur
07-02-2006, 23:54
Sooo.....are they dancing on dinosaurs like rodeo clowns (on dinosaury) or are they riding dancing dinosaurs?

Anyway, I hope GW just added the good old Harlequins and Exodites but didn't merge them into some "okay, here's your bit, veterans. (in fact, we made a depraved, twisted version of what you like to insult you even more)"-units.

oh, and by the way: I don't think that GW will just eradicate the DE. The killing of the Squats caused a big uproar in the community and since "the community" is much bigger now (but a bit less dedicated, I think), the dimensions will be even bigger. GW surely doesn't want that.

Dark Muse
08-02-2006, 00:16
I was thinking "Dances With Dinosaurs" Starring Kevin Coster as the lead dino.

Grand_Marshal_Kazan
08-02-2006, 00:18

As always Engel, you are a wonderful tease.

Keep it up.

Inquisitor Engel
08-02-2006, 01:31
Sooo.....are they dancing on dinosaurs like rodeo clowns (on dinosaury) or are they riding dancing dinosaurs?

They ride dancing dinosaurs of course! :p Anything else would just be silly!

(The above is a joke)

Jon_Irenicus
08-02-2006, 01:32
We hold the secrets of FOX-DIE, you know? In fact, this little button here... You tease :)

He Who Laughs
08-02-2006, 02:07
Well, that is welcome news Engel - whether this racial addition be Harlequins (as suggested in line with Brim's "weirdly dressed" comment) or Exodites.

Both were sorely missed in 3rd ed.

I'm sure most would be happy even if it were only Harlequin troupes, without the Solitaires, Shadowseers, Death Jesters and Great Harlequins.

Although the return (from 2nd ed) of Eldar Pirates would also be interesting - to follow on from the Pirates in BFG.

Any more hints Engel?

Jahxius
08-02-2006, 02:09
We hold the secrets of FOX-DIE, you know? In fact, this little button here... You tease :)

Lol, good one mate.

Hmm, As for this Eldar Pirate stuff, I think it would be intresting to have a mercenary Race released which has Eldar who have trodden the path of the outcast, Kroot, Hrud, Demiurg, and human mercs. Might be a very fun and diverse organization to command.

Jon_Irenicus
08-02-2006, 02:16
Thank you :)

A sort of Dogs of War army in 40k? That would be an interesting addition.
It could be an army that dispenses HQ choices, too (picture a single guy trying to boss it out amongst diferent races?), or then again, a sort of Guild, with a generic HQ character from where weŽd buy his "type" (for example, human, eldar, demiurg, etc) and unlock his equipment, thus making other choices either H.S., or troops, according to his own race...
But this doesnŽt belong here, does it? Got me thinking though...

Either Harlequins or Exodites would be a welcome addition. More fluffwise than gameswise for me, unless they packed some serious drooling miniatures (every army eventually does..)

He Who Laughs
08-02-2006, 02:24
Lol, good one mate.

Hmm, As for this Eldar Pirate stuff, I think it would be intresting to have a mercenary Race released which has Eldar who have trodden the path of the outcast, Kroot, Hrud, Demiurg, and human mercs. Might be a very fun and diverse organization to command.

Not too sure what you mean there - do you mean an Eldar Outcast who has lived amongst the races you mentioned, or a bunch of units in the new Eldar Codex that aren't Eldar (Hrud etc)?

Although it would be cool to introduce more merc races to 40K, I strongly doubt that the 4th ed Eldar 'dex would be the platform with which to do it. The newer codexes seem to be more focussed (albeit with divergence within this focus, re: traits, doctrines, bio-morphs).

Brother Muninn
08-02-2006, 03:52
Not too sure what you mean there - do you mean an Eldar Outcast who has lived amongst the
races you mentioned, or a bunch of units in the new Eldar Codex that aren't Eldar (Hrud etc)?

I'm none too fluent in Eldar, but iirc, all eldar walk various 'paths' throughout their lifetimes, Guardians, Aspect warriors, and Warlock technically being a few of these. again, iirc Exarchs are simply Eldar so entrenched in their particular path they have been envoloped by it and can no longer function outside of that path.

The Path of the outsider is typically associated with Rangers, as they live outised the scope of Eldar society, however mercenaries could easily fit into this category.

Personally I like the idea of three Imperial-esque books. Craftworld & Dark eldar don't necessarily approve of each other's means of survival, but they're still related and can still work alongside each other. Each codex would stand alone, but would also be interchangeable. One Craftworld Eldar, One Dark Eldar, and one Divergent Eldar (which would contain Exarchs and Harlequins which would both be individualized lists), so in three codexes you could create four different bases for armies with the capability of pulling units from another.

Toxxys
08-02-2006, 05:17
The path of the outcast includes many different eldar other than rangers... rangers are just the most common to return to craftworlds. There are eldar pirates (who we can presume the rangers like to hang out with), and there are also the exodites, which have reverted to a more simplistic, primitive lifestyle in order to subdue the urges of the eldar (sort of zen). Other than those guys there are of course the harlequins, who travel the webways between different eldar societies and pefrorm stuff for them (and fight for them too).

I believe that these are all "paths of the outcast," because they don't follow the traditional paths set up for a craftworld society (military aspect paths, militia guardian paths, and sage warlock/farseer paths).

We know that eldar pirates are still part of the fluff. Although the Dark Eldar are definitely based off them, there is still a distinction. There's even an image suptitled "Eldar Pirate" in the big rulebook (P. 138).

I don't have my brother's 2nd ed Eldar codex on hand, but I know for sure that pirates and exodites will always help craftworlds in need.

The "strangely dressed" comment by Brimm leads me to believe: Harlequins.

The "racial" comment by Engel leads me to believe several possibilities... Slaan being one of them perhaps (there's hope in the form of an image of one on P. 139 in the big rulebook).

Castigator
08-02-2006, 08:50
Thank you :)

A sort of Dogs of War army in 40k? That would be an interesting addition.
It could be an army that dispenses HQ choices, too (picture a single guy trying to boss it out amongst diferent races?), or then again, a sort of Guild, with a generic HQ character from where weŽd buy his "type" (for example, human, eldar, demiurg, etc) and unlock his equipment, thus making other choices either H.S., or troops, according to his own race...
But this doesnŽt belong here, does it? Got me thinking though...

I don't know. The epic overstatement of the 40k Universe makes an army list out for cash & gold a bad fit fluff-wise IMO.

Everyone's out there to consume the galaxy, throw it into eternal chaotic-misery, glut themselves on burning stars, settle millenia-old scores, impose their vision of society on the galaxy for the next eternity, etc.., etc..

Even fringe armies like the Relictors are in it for more than simple riches (i.e. ancient and powerful chaos-artifacts).

Some pirate/mercenary army out chasing Nid's or Space Wolves simply for cash seems a bit far fetched and a bad fit with the rest of the 40k scale and theme IMO.

ML Kurze
08-02-2006, 09:56

Excuse me? The studio said something about Dark Eldar? Please Engel, don't pull my leg. Is it true?

Senbei
08-02-2006, 10:12
Meh, hell no. It's not Harlequins. It's Dominators, dontchaknow ;D

Kurai
08-02-2006, 10:38
Hmmm... a deep cellar or dungeon without any lights? :skull:

my_name_is_tudor
08-02-2006, 10:42
Exodites aren't on the path of the outcast - they split from eldar society before the fall, and before the idea of the paths was even conceived. I suppose craftworld eldar might consider them to be on the path of the outcast - but they sure don't.

Ghal Maraz
08-02-2006, 12:00
Craftworlders don't consider Exodites as Outcasts, but as Exodites...:evilgrin:
Exodites are protected by Craftworlder and Harlequins, because they are seen as the purest Eldar of all. In some way, they are the true hope of rebirth for the race as a whole (and that's why Biel-Tan protects Exodites worlds with such ferocity).

And, Toxxys... The guardian militia one is not a path at all. All Craftworlders are trained to operate as Guardians, whichever Path they are following. Only those on the Path of the Warrior (Aspect Warriors and Exarchs) and some of those on the Path of the Seer (combat-seers Warlocks and the Farseers, that are trapped on the Seer Path) battle with specialized roles, following their Path.

my_name_is_tudor
08-02-2006, 12:03
There are many paths, and I presume that if you get really wound up about any of them you become 'fixed' to the path. You could be a poet that becomes so fixated with poetry that you can't do anything else.

Ghal Maraz
08-02-2006, 13:10
There are many paths, and I presume that if you get really wound up about any of them you become 'fixed' to the path. You could be a poet that becomes so fixated with poetry that you can't do anything else.

I guess you could be right, but I've got the impression that only the most psychologically-demanding paths risk to trap the Eldar who follow them. Such as the Warrior Path and the Witch Path.

Sildani
08-02-2006, 13:48
That's changed. There's a very exciting racial addition to the Eldar Codex...

Well, another nugget of tantalizing info! Many thanks, Engel.

I know how you like to give us just-not-enough info, but perhaps you'd be so kind as to debunk this: please tell me that this "racial addition" has nothing to do with Janus Darke/Auric Stormcloud replacing Eldrad Ulthran as the powerful character Farseer. Or that it has nothing to do with humans, at all.

Now, it could be Eldar are allowed to take Tau auxillaries. That'd be tasty, and keep to the background.

Cheitan Shadowless
08-02-2006, 13:54
I guess you could be right, but I've got the impression that only the most psychologically-demanding paths risk to trap the Eldar who follow them. Such as the Warrior Path and the Witch Path.True, but remember that Eldar have a capacity for strength of emotion that humans can't even begin to understand. It's far from unlikely that some poet Eldar in a corner of the craftworld becomes so absorbed by his works that everything becomes a matter of impossible words, intricate syllables and mind-wracking stanzas. The kind of individual who has to practice extreme self-restraint to keep his communication at a level that is comprehensible to his kinsmen.

Omg. :wtf:

As for Engel's little tease there...
Hax!

zomg 200th post

Jon_Irenicus
08-02-2006, 14:36
I don't know. The epic overstatement of the 40k Universe makes an army list out for cash & gold a bad fit fluff-wise IMO.

Everyone's out there to consume the galaxy, throw it into eternal chaotic-misery, glut themselves on burning stars, settle millenia-old scores, impose their vision of society on the galaxy for the next eternity, etc.., etc..

Even fringe armies like the Relictors are in it for more than simple riches (i.e. ancient and powerful chaos-artifacts).

Some pirate/mercenary army out chasing Nid's or Space Wolves simply for cash seems a bit far fetched and a bad fit with the rest of the 40k scale and theme IMO.

Maybe... But I was thinking more along the lines of a planetary lord hiring mercenaries, or like... the role that was taken by the eldar pirates. But maybe youŽre right, I spoke out of "anxiety" (or rather, what I thought was a good idea) other than anything else :D

Brother Muninn
08-02-2006, 23:47
That's changed. There's a very exciting racial addition to the Eldar Codex

This got me thinking. Yes the idea of Slann or Tau auxillaries is exciting, but not nearly as cool as my recent revelation (if you can call it that).

Could some of the Wrap-up of the Eye of Terror camapaign years ago been foreshadowing of new units?

as per the EOT concluslusion summary (here: http://www.eyeofterror.com/uk/assets/eot-conclusion.pdf ) Planets are beggining to emerge from the Eye of Terror under Eldar Control, one of these is Maugan-Ra's own home world Altansar - Craftworld of the Lost.

Here's a excerpt from his description in the campaign:

"It is believed by many Farseers that the reappearance of the shadowy craftworld of Altansar and it's ghost-like inhabitants is purely due to to the iron determination of the Pheonix Lord to locate and redeem his once lost brethren"

you know what Freud said about coincidences right?

~ Muninn

Toxxys
09-02-2006, 00:18
you know what Freud said about coincidences right?

Nope. But I presume it had something to do with "the phallus."

Brother Muninn
09-02-2006, 00:55
Nope. But I presume it had something to do with "the phallus."

Strangely appropriate considering Maugen-Ra's weaponry....

loco_smoko
09-02-2006, 01:39
Well if everyones busy speculating about what racial additions might mean to the new eldar codex.
Considering at the end of the EOT campaign there was a whole new craft world that emerged with a whole new type of eldar who had been in the warp, literally, for who-knows-how-many millenia.
Altansar is the name if memory serves.
I mean a massive exposure to the corrpting forces of chaos plus millenia of genetic drift.
A whole new race, hmmmm.
It is just my 2 cents, but what the heck, who knows.

Cheers

Jerry

bigred
09-02-2006, 05:37
hmmm,

I had completely forgotten about Altansar until you mentioned it....

But my money is still on the harlequins riding exodite dinosaurs...

Perhaps these "Exoquins" might even have rending dinos.... i'm sold!!!

-bigred

Brother Muninn
09-02-2006, 06:20
Well if everyones busy speculating about what racial additions might mean to the new eldar codex.
Considering at the end of the EOT campaign there was a whole new craft world that emerged with a whole new type of eldar who had been in the warp, literally, for who-knows-how-many millenia.
I mean a massive exposure to the corrpting forces of chaos plus millenia of genetic drift.
A whole new race, hmmmm.
It is just my 2 cents, but what the heck, who knows.

Cheers

Jerry

Same thing I said, I just said it in a round about way. I'm curious how an uber psychic-based race like the eldar would adapt while living in the warp. The description I quoted above mentioned the inhabitants of Altansar as "Ghost-like"

That'd make for a hell of a model/unit

Orbital
09-02-2006, 06:21
It's funny how names have such power, isn't it? When I first started this hobby and just went around stupidly buying things, I actually bought both Eldar and Dark Eldar models thinking that they were from the same race and interchangeable. It doesn't surprise me, then, when people talk about Eldar and Dark Eldar as somehow being cojoined or intermingled. I believe that this is probably the source of a lot of rumors about what the Dark Eldar's fate will be. We all know, however, that Dark Eldar and Eldar are not very much alike. In fact, Space Marines and Chaos armies have more in common than Eldar and Dark Eldar, so I really think it's just the shared name which gets people thinking there's more link between them than there actually is.

As for the rumors, I will just weigh in with my two cents for what it's worth.

I don't see GW putting Dark Eldar in the trash can. It crossed my mind a few times, as many of the models are incredibly old, and others are mail-order-only. It would make sense if not for the fact that GW keeps going back to Dark Eldar and touching upon them. For instance, White Dwarf has been showing off some tactica and some Dark Eldar painting in recent months. And Dark Eldar got some very focused attention in the 4th ed rulebook. Doesn't make a lot of sense that they keep doing that if they're trying to let this race die. Of course, anything is possible, but you gotta wonder why GW would keep poking the body with a stick if they really did expect it to be a cadaver.

We already know that Dark Eldar won't be wrapped into the new Eldar codex. I think the day they do that is the day they make a giant codex which includes both Marines and Chaos and call it "Guys Who Have Bolters". So no danger of that happening.

So if they're not rolling DE into the Eldar codex and they're not killing them off, they must have a plan for them. They're not the most popular army; Eldar and Orks are definitely begging for attention (and let's not forget the obligatory Marine mini-codices in between), but it seems to me as if they're keeping DE on "simmer" until they can really do something special with them. GW's refusal to pull the life support on that army makes it impossible for me to imagine any other direction for them.

It wouldn't be unlike GW to contradict their past fluff and merge the pirate and dark eldar concepts. Not a big leap, really. Just stop thinking of "Eldar Pirates" as puffy-shirt wearing, dashing buccaneers. Maybe they're the sort of pirates that punch old women in the face and steal their shawls.

What I think we need are some Eldar Ninjas, so we can enact the ultimate battle (http://nvp.kavefish.net/).

But wait...if pirates are pirates, and dark eldar are dark eldar, what happens if a dark eldar decides to engage in some pirating?

My guess is that you'll see more and more software companies requiring you to register your product online. (*RIMSHOT*) Thank you! I'm here all week!

The secret is, the've merged the Harlequins and the Exodites. They now dance and ride dinosaurs. This move was inevitable, when you think about it.

Dancing? Dinosaurs? I think I've just figured out the special character who will replace Eldrad Ulthran (http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/2/28/300px-Barneythedinosaur.jpg).

Now, it could be Eldar are allowed to take Tau auxillaries. That'd be tasty, and keep to the background.

You know, at first glance I thought this was a really stupid idea. Then, after a few minutes of thinking it over, I realized that it's a *******' awesome idea. Well done.

Just to be completely clear about this, however; Altansar is still intact. Despite the horrors of the Eye of Terror that Maugen Ra beheld, he and his Reapers are still locked, clocked and ready to rock.

You had me at "Hello".

BaronDG
09-02-2006, 10:13
I wonder if this "racial addition" might have something to do with the psychic cats that farseers keep. Just speculation, but still...

Tiberius Frost
09-02-2006, 10:26

New race for the Eldar, eh? It's Zoats, isn't it...?
Tell me they've brought back Zoats (that'd be just like them).

Tiberius Frost
09-02-2006, 10:27
I wonder if this "racial addition" might have something to do with the psychic cats that farseers keep. Just speculation, but still...

Nah, it's Zoats.

TrollTyg
09-02-2006, 11:12
1. Disbanding dark eldar and forming a new branching of eldar known as eldar pirates which would be contained in the next eldar codex.

Maby already posted but i dont have time so read the 6 pages on this thread, so here goes.

The Eldar Pirates are not new, thay have been and are there in the fluff for a long time.
Dont you play BFG?

So i wouldnt think that adding eldar pirates to the eldar codex would take away the dark eldar.

Flame of Udun
09-02-2006, 11:47
I'd love to see a return of the exodites, they were cool!

Sai-Lauren
09-02-2006, 11:54

Racial? Not just Eldar who go to a different tailor then?
Or is it a different race in the sense that in WFB High Elves and Wood Elves are effectively considered different races?

Of course, you may not be able to say more (NDA's and so on), but if you are able to say, is it something that's been seen in the 40k universe before (either as models/armies or merely in the fluff), or something entirely new?

So i wouldnt think that adding eldar pirates to the eldar codex would take away the dark eldar.
IIRC, it pretty much runs Craftworld Eldar-Corsairs-Pirates-Dark Eldar, with Exodites and Harlequins outside that line.

You mean Gyrinx's? Don't think they'd particularly count as a new race.

I think about the only thing they could possibly do that would make them darker is ally with Necrons, unless Cult of Pleasure's going to make a move from WFB to 40k.

Ghal Maraz
09-02-2006, 11:56
Uhm, I always thought that Altansar would be included in the new Codex; Phil Kelly has always demonstrated a lot of interest in it right from the end of the Eye of Terror and, IIRC, he said plenty of time that he had the intention to include Altansar in the Codex. So, for me, the racial addiction will not be Altansar...

Tau auxiliaries... Mmh, no, I really hope not. There's no need of that. I guess that someday GW would create rules for "alliances", but i really, really hope the the long awaited Eldar Codex would include only Eldar! I mean, there are, something like 5, perhaps 6, types of Eldar out there: Craftworld, Dark, Pirates, Harlequins, Exodites and... Crone Worlds??? Come on, GW, don't give us more Tau, please!!!

And, Zoats... Zoats are Tyranids!:evilgrin:

Dunr II
09-02-2006, 12:48
what ever happens in the new codex GW will have to be careful to get the right balance so I really don't see psychic cats being in there as thats too powerful

Sildani
09-02-2006, 13:31
They could be given nine wounds... Mrowr! Pffft! Mrowr! Pffft! Mrowr! Pffft! Mrowr! Pffft! Mrowr!...

That could be annoying... and in assault, they'd have a "shed" attack that always strikes first...

Dunr II
09-02-2006, 13:38
They could be given nine wounds... Mrowr! Pffft! Mrowr! Pffft! Mrowr! Pffft! Mrowr! Pffft! Mrowr!...

That could be annoying... and in assault, they'd have a "shed" attack that always strikes first...

and thats without the farseer:evilgrin:

Yrandrasil
09-02-2006, 13:44
Yeah... but as with the rest of the Eldar, that damn majority toughness rule will hurt the Farseer! Of course the cat will have a 3+ invulnerable dodge!

Jon_Irenicus
09-02-2006, 14:23
Maby already posted but i dont have time so read the 6 pages on this thread, so here goes.

The Eldar Pirates are not new, thay have been and are there in the fluff for a long time.
Dont you play BFG?

If you are going to take the time and actually post, why not do like the majority of the posters and read the six pages? :p
Just that you are forsaking most peopleŽs opinion, and what you said could just be a re-hash...
Sorry if this just sounds plain obvious ;)

my_name_is_tudor
09-02-2006, 15:37
I'm curious how an uber psychic-based race like the eldar would adapt while living in the warp.

Surely it would just invovle a lot of brief screaming - followed by the sound of heads popping all over the craftworld. :p

Aiiieeeee POP!

Now that I have had the idea of Mr Ra's craftworld coming back into the light refreshed in my head - it seems pretty clear that this will be the addition. I can vaguely remember reading somewhere that some head honcho at GW said Harlequin's would be getting a new CA article, rather than codex coverage - and I just don't think exodites quite have the scope for 40k anymore (why would they go about the galaxy fighting all the various races, rather than just keeping to themselves as usual).

'Ghostly' doesn't strike me as a very good word used to describe a 'new' eldar craftworld though.. Iyanden anybody? But goodness knows what crazy shizzle would have gone down with them during their time in the warp. Perhaps they are spiritless - an entire world of solitaire-like phantoms?

If you are going to take the time and actually post, why not do like the majority of the posters and read the six pages? :p

If there's one thing I've learned about Warseer, it's that threads are like bullet trains. You've gotta get on board when they're stopped at the begining of the route; 'cause if you try to leap on later - not only is it a difficult leap to make, if you cock it up - it's going to make a whole lot of mess.

Brother Muninn
09-02-2006, 22:22
I just don't think exodites quite have the scope for 40k anymore (why would they go about the galaxy fighting all the various races, rather than just keeping to themselves as usual).

*shrug* well Wood elves stick to their own corner of the Warhammer world, but the issue is that other forces Invade them. I think this'd be just as true for Exodites

'Ghostly' doesn't strike me as a very good word used to describe a 'new' eldar craftworld though.. Iyanden anybody? But goodness knows what crazy shizzle would have gone down with them during their time in the warp. Perhaps they are spiritless - an entire world of solitaire-like phantoms?

oh Jebus, a unit of Initiative 9 models... I just got nerd-wood. Naw, I like the idea of phantom-like qualities, equivalent to Necron Wraiths, as though they're incorporial when they want to be, or can fade into the warp at will. For all intent & purpose they'd be like any other guardian however with all the nifty wraith tricks.

my_name_is_tudor
09-02-2006, 22:36
The thing with that wraith idea, is it has little to no basis in any fluff. A highy psychicly sensitive race spend a while in the most psychically turbulent place in the galaxy, an come out with super powers and their brains unscathed? More likely that Slaanesh consumed their souls, but their bodies lived on due to the warp influence.

Delicious Soy
10-02-2006, 01:00
Are rules for pirates really that neccessary? If the Autarch is in the list there's your Pirate Prince, choose an aspect as his guard then guardian choices all round, not that hard really. Exodites only need a dragon knight entry (I smell Chapter Approved) and you could make a list of them as well.

Harlequins are the only ones that need multiple entries in the list but knowing GW it will be Altansar, which while its an interesting addition, I'd rather it didn't come at the expense of existing elements of the Eldar race. Gw has provided a more incisive look at the Imperium, its about time they took a better look at its enemies/allies/both.

Cheitan Shadowless
10-02-2006, 12:15
If there's one thing I've learned about Warseer, it's that threads are like bullet trains. You've gotta get on board when they're stopped at the begining of the route; 'cause if you try to leap on later - not only is it a difficult leap to make, if you cock it up - it's going to make a whole lot of mess. Sigged!

Though I think it's nice if the fluff is going to be advanced a bit by the return of Altansar, I would really much rather have seen a proper return of the Harlequins. Oh well.

Wraithlord
10-02-2006, 13:52
I see psycho Cats on dancing Dinos in front of me......
I need some rest.

Sharky
10-02-2006, 15:02
Deeper and darker things in store for the Dark Eldar? Sounds like GW just gave up and turned them into a Cult of Pleasure clone.

Hope I'm wrong.

leonmallett
10-02-2006, 15:50
I think deeper and darker would be more of an imagery thing. Play up the murderous/duplicitous nature of Kabal societies. Some more fluff essentially. Hopefully with decent miniatures that actually looked as though they are from the same range!

TheShadow3s
10-02-2006, 16:40
Back on The Altansar they could be pirates though , like not communicating with anyone only fighting in name of the eldar .
( hope theu come in the eldar codex and have kick-ass rules )
Btw anyone have any idea what they do and how they look like one of the wood elve ghost army conversions form warhammer ?

LiveFromHell
10-02-2006, 17:02
Deeper and darker things in store for the Dark Eldar? Sounds like GW just gave up and turned them into a Cult of Pleasure clone.

Hope I'm wrong.

That would be darker...but it wouldn't be "deeper" now would it?

Icarus
10-02-2006, 17:34
Hopefully it means that the Dark Eldar will have more of a purpose than "We eat souls cos were scared of the Big Bad". I'd like to see them with more direction, as well as depth. And gorgeous new models obviously....

ffclubhero
10-02-2006, 17:55
Latest rumour I heard in a GW store from an employee (about four days ago) was that Dark Eldar were being reduced to fluff and Direct Order only.... :rolleyes:

charlie_c67
10-02-2006, 18:06
Again a rumour that has been debunked many times. Somethings just don't go away do they?

Orbital
10-02-2006, 18:59

This is still making me laugh.

Yrandrasil
10-02-2006, 19:11
Icarus

That is exactly my feeling on the DE. They need a direction, a purpose, not just semi-mindless slaughter-hounds. Leave that to the Khornate factions. As I have said before, they need to be the Hannibal Lecters of 40k.

The CE seem aloof to humans, but they have a purpose and destination. I feel that the ultimate goal of both the DE and the CE should be the same. Just that they have 2 entirely contrary ways to get there. Getting to the same destination by 2 different roads!

Later

Ozendorph
10-02-2006, 19:26
What do you see as the greater DE purpose? Cheating death isn't enough? Maybe they're content to play Dark Canasta, watch their gladiator-sports, and make the occasional halftime soul/beer run.

IncubiLord
10-02-2006, 19:35
What do you see as the greater DE purpose? Cheating death isn't enough?
Temporarily cheating death isn't enough.

They could want to restore Khaine to his former glory (and then some) and form a temporary alliance with one of the other Ruinous Powers to destroy Slaanesh.

Now THAT would be a wicked cool driving force.

And it would fall in line with the CE's ultimate goal of beating Slaanesh while being completely contrary to the CE way of life.

Maybe they offer small tributes to the other Chaos gods as a way of building the future alliance between them and Khaine.

Yrandrasil
10-02-2006, 20:03
Temporarily cheating death isn't enough

Exactly my point. Though Eldar and their Dark Brethren live to ripe old ages, they will eventually die. If the CE know that they are a dying race, I would think the DE know it also. So, even if they die of old age, or a freak reaper jet bike accident, or in their gladitorial games, where does their soul go? Does it get consumed by the great enemy anyway?

I like the Eldar story about the god of the dead...Ynead I believe. Why can't the Dark Eldar be sacrificing souls of their victims to Slaanesh, and have a way to commit their own souls to Khaine, (or Ynead for that matter).

Thereby, 2 paths to a common goal. Just the DE have a more twisted sense of how to get there! The CE shouldn't hate the DE, they should just find their ways distasteful since they are not on the path!

Just my opinion.... let the brow-beating commence!!

IncubiLord
10-02-2006, 20:10
Yeah!

That whole soul-eating thing is just a quick fix 'til our true plan comes to fruition.

Ozendorph
10-02-2006, 20:55
Fine, just so long as the "true plan" doesn't involve YET ANOTHER armageddon scenario for the empire/galaxy/reality. Between being engulfed by the warp, devoured by the hive, or harvested by star-gods, There's enough impending doom in the world already.

IncubiLord
10-02-2006, 21:03
Who really wants to destroy the universe?

"That's just tough-guy talk. Strutting around with your friends over a pint of blood. The truth is, I like this world. You've got dog-racing, Manchester United. And you've got people. Billions of people walking around like Happy Meals on legs."
- Spike, from Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Ozendorph
10-02-2006, 21:11
Haha, I remember that episode. The wife is a bit of a Buffy freak, lol.

Inquisitor Engel
10-02-2006, 21:13
Maybe they offer small tributes to the other Chaos gods as a way of building the future alliance between them and Khaine.

Or have them completely oblivious to the fact that Khaine was destroyed in the first place...

Now, the Dark Eldar also know the Myths as well as any Craftworld Eldar due to the Harlequins (there's a story in an old CJ and WD about Harlequins visiting Commoragh) but you could spin it even better...

The Harlequins do not perform the Dance of the Splintering of Khaine for the Dark Eldar, intentionally keeping them in the dark, just so the Harlequins can get what THEY want...

Insidious and uber-Eldar. :evilgrin:

ObiWan
10-02-2006, 21:18
Engel, sir, that is just plain wicked! :evilgrin: and cool too!

IncubiLord
10-02-2006, 21:19
That would be a betrayal of their role as the lore-masters of the Eldar though...

ork147
10-02-2006, 21:21
I would asume no 2 as dark eldar can be a good army when played right.
Also they better not get rid of dark eldar as i have an army of them!

Fable
10-02-2006, 21:30
I always thought the whole soul drinking thing was so that the Archons and Drachons could eventually become gods themselves and join the Eldar Pantheon, consuming souls in much the same way as She Who Thirsts. After all, why create a new god when you can just become one yourself?

downundercadet07
10-02-2006, 21:59
If you look at the Eldar Pirate picture in the rulebook, you will notice that the eldar has a hook for a hand, an eye patch, a peg leg, and a bird on her shoulder. Look it up if you don't believe me.

Ozendorph
10-02-2006, 23:05
GW's vision of their game world has certainly changed over time. If that picture were redrawn today, the peg leg would be made of wraithbone, the hook would glow, and the bird would have psychic powers.

Khaine's Messenger
10-02-2006, 23:18
Actually, he probably wouldn't have a pegleg, hook, or an eyepatch (either wraithbone prosthetics or other uber-techs) but yes, the bird probably would be psychic (or replaced with a Gyrinx).

As for the DE not knowing that Khaine is "dead"...well, that would give my Khaine/Ghea hierarchy explanation more credence than it's due, but sadly I doubt the Dark Eldar could be duped for that long. Then again....

PS--Engel, where have you been? The fluff forum just isn't the same....

Ozendorph
10-02-2006, 23:47
Nah, crude wraithbone prosthetics all around. In the 41st millenium, if you're not missing limbs, you're not trying hard enough.

Khaine's Messenger
10-02-2006, 23:54
While the prosthetics might be obviously artificial (and therefore much less comely than a real body part), I doubt an Eldar would go for long with something "crude." After all, "crude" things are beneath them. ;)

Ozendorph
11-02-2006, 00:14
While the prosthetics might be obviously artificial (and therefore much less comely than a real body part), I doubt an Eldar would go for long with something "crude." After all, "crude" things are beneath them. ;)

Normally I'd agree, but we are talking pirates here, man. When your ship's only bonesinger drinks on the job and plays an accordian, you take what you can get.

Flame of Udun
11-02-2006, 02:07
Normally I'd agree, but we are talking pirates here, man. When your ship's only bonesinger drinks on the job and plays an accordian, you take what you can get.

Man that made me laugh!!!:D That is a slice of fried gold signature material :D

IncubiLord
11-02-2006, 02:16
Yep, it was a quality post.

but now your sig is too large...

Flame of Udun
11-02-2006, 02:43
Hey man I've never had any complaints about it being large before!!!:D

IncubiLord
11-02-2006, 02:50
That's because it isn't normally worth mentioning your size. ;)

I like to read people's sigs, but after the first glance it just takes up space and makes me spend more time scrolling to new stuff.

my_name_is_tudor
11-02-2006, 11:14
There is a ruled limit on the number of lines a signature can have, and I think its 7, he's one line from the limit.

kane40k
11-02-2006, 11:25
codex xenos??? WTF???? plz explain

Sildani
11-02-2006, 14:24
Never mind, it won't be out for a long while. There are Daemonhunters and Witch Hunters, so the Ordo Xenos are the Alien Hunters. It won't be done until after Eldar and Orks get redone, so don't expect them until 2008 at the earliest.

t-tauri
11-02-2006, 14:35
codex xenos??? WTF???? plz explain
Please type in English and try to limit question marks to just one per sentence. It's very difficult to understand text speak, especially for non-native English speakers.

Orbital
11-02-2006, 17:50
There is a ruled limit on the number of lines a signature can have, and I think its 7, he's one line from the limit.

He has a signature that has seven lines and it's one from the limit. One more and it's at the limit. That would be against the rules. Also, I think he has my stapler. (http://j-walkblog.com/old/images/officespace.jpg) If his signature goes too long I'll burn the building down...

IncubiLord
11-02-2006, 17:53
He's already fixed it guys.

Let's get back to the peg-legged Eldar and raising dead gods.

downundercadet07
11-02-2006, 19:45
Actually the picture is in the 4th edition rule book, about halfway through. I have only played since 3rd ed, so I don't know if it was original for the new rule book, but it is in there, and no other publication that I have seen.